PDA

View Full Version : What News reader are you using?

AcousticBoarder
06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Am interested to know what news reading software you are using and why. I've been using Gabit, which has a decent interface, easy to use but buggy ... have just switched to Newsletter v1 which seems to have more features, uses less resources but is a lot less visually pleasing.

Which software version do you use currently?

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Newsleecher 1.0

if you want you can remove all the extra feature windows :huh:

Newsleecher is the best :01:

AcousticBoarder
06-21-2005, 03:13 PM
^ I'm sure I'll come to agree =D

How long do you reckon it'll be till a ... freeware version of the latest editon?

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 03:17 PM
^ I'm sure I'll come to agree =D

How long do you reckon it'll be till a ... freeware version of the latest editon?

never I think because since version 2.0 it connects to the newsleecher server to check if your serial is correct.

but you dont really need a newer version. 1.0 works fine

Filliz
06-21-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm using NewsLeecher v1.0 myself.
I actually bought a license for it because I couldn't find a decent working crack for it at the time. :ph34r:

Also have various others installed but don't really use them.(Agent,NewsbinPro,MesNews,...)
Just trying them out and comparing them with NewsLeecher.

For reading and posting textfiles I open up Thunderbird.
Would be great if NewsLeecher would have the same reading and posting capabilities like TB or OE.

It's already the best binary downloader there is imo,but that would make it only better. :)

RealitY
06-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Ive been on Newsleecher v2.0 for quite some time...

AcousticBoarder
06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
^ You dug deep within your pockets or found an alternative method Reality?

RealitY
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Ive been using Newsleecher for a long time now. I still have GrabIt installed although I hardly ever use it anymore other than as a search tool on occasion. I still think however it is a very good app seconed to very few and a great starting point for getting into Usenet as its very user friendly and of course is still freeware also...

muchspl3
06-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I;m using 2.1 final but you have to update you host file

lee551
06-21-2005, 05:20 PM
i wish i could use the latest newsleecher. i didn't know 1.0 was just as good, maybe i'll use that b/c i tend to like newsleecher over grabit.

ok, now i just looked around and couldn't find newsleecher 1.0 anywhere. anyone? :huh:

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
i wish i could use the latest newsleecher. i didn't know 1.0 was just as good, maybe i'll use that b/c i tend to like newsleecher over grabit.

ok, now i just looked around and couldn't find newsleecher 1.0 anywhere. anyone? :huh:

PM send.

lee551
06-21-2005, 05:26 PM

PM send.

thanks ike. :D

muchspl3
06-21-2005, 05:57 PM
I guess if anyone wants the final I can zip it and pm you back if anyone wants it...

erictc
07-03-2005, 12:50 PM
NewsbinPro 4.22 does the best job for me.

Culley
07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm currently using Newsleecher 2.0 beta 9... however, it's not registered and works fine. I just can't SuperSearch, which I don't need anyway.

I've tried Outlooks thing and GrabIt... GrabIt works fine, but I prefer NewsLeecher... it seems to run better on my PC.

Hanz™
07-03-2005, 03:51 PM
I am currently using Newsleecher 2.3 - somewhat illegitimately.
Strangely I can supersearch and it doesn't report my key is illeg... perhaps I am being a bit risky... Perhaps.

Filliz
07-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Strangely I can supersearch and it doesn't report my key is illeg... perhaps I am being a bit risky... Perhaps.

I've got a legit copy of 2.3 and I can't use the SuperSearch :(

Bah...don't really need it anyway.
I can use the searchfunction on EasyNews :cool:

Samurai
07-03-2005, 04:49 PM
GrabIt.

I have Newsbin Pro as a backup just in case. I haven't needed to use it yet to be honest as GrabIt does everything I ask.

Hanz™
07-03-2005, 05:02 PM

I've got a legit copy of 2.3 and I can't use the SuperSearch :(

Bah...don't really need it anyway.
I can use the searchfunction on EasyNews :cool:
Yeah its weird.
When I had to newsleecher 2.0 (also illegitimately) I had to add a line into the hosts file in order that newsleecher would not connect to the site (www.newsleecher.com) and tell me that my key was out of date - and this disabled newsleecher's supersearch.
But since I got newsleecher 2.3 I have discovered that supersearch will work and it won't complain about my key usage...
I wonder for how long though??!

Edit: Well the only good thing about supersearch is that it makes making NZB's easier to make...
But then considering the NZB's are often available on nzbzone and so on, you might as well just get the from there...

brotherdoobie
07-05-2005, 03:02 AM
GrabIt...

Peace bd

Master$hake
07-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Newsleecher under windows works best for me. I have 2.3 Final its great how many features were added from 2.1.
2.3 Now has bandwidth Limiter and supersearch comes with it.
Newsbin is to slow with large groups over 1milpost
Under Linux Fedora Core 4 Pan is Great and free!!!! My Fav

AcousticBoarder
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Any chance you could pm me and let me know wherre I could get 2.3 from?
Would love a supersearch, am finding newsgroups pretty useless for anything other then xbox games.

Peerzy
07-08-2005, 03:04 PM
www.nzbzone.com
www.dvdrs.net

Dualz
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Grabit does everything I can think of, except making and reading posts. It has a clean UI, which is what I like about it the most.

{I}{K}{E}
07-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Grabit does everything I can think of, except making and reading posts. It has a clean UI, which is what I like about it the most.

grabit uses imo to much resources when saving the file.

newsleecher has many options that Grabit doesnt have.

Hanz™
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Any chance you could pm me and let me know wherre I could get 2.3 from?
Would love a supersearch, am finding newsgroups pretty useless for anything other then xbox games.
What about our NZB section.
What about nzbzone and newzbin?

USMC Chocho
07-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey guys. I am new at this forum but I have a quick question. I have been searching high and low and can not seem to be able to find a copy of Newsleecher 1.0. I was wondering if anyone could help me and I posted in this thread since it seemed like this would be the place to ask for some help. Thanks in advance.

|F1|
07-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey guys. I am new at this forum but I have a quick question. I have been searching high and low and can not seem to be able to find a copy of Newsleecher 1.0. I was wondering if anyone could help me and I posted in this thread since it seemed like this would be the place to ask for some help. Thanks in advance.

http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?file_id=1198

I haven't tried it, but it seems legit.

USMC Chocho
07-10-2005, 03:41 AM
It worked great. Thanks a lot.

erictc
07-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Newsleecher 1.0

if you want you can remove all the extra feature windows :huh:

Newsleecher is the best :01:

there is no best for all. they all have advantages and disadvantages.
the newsleecher gui isn't very comfortable.
imho newbin does the best job for heavy downloading and organizing many
different groups at the same time. :cool:

Hanz™
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Technically Newsleechers download algorithm has supposed to be the best...

erictc
07-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Technically Newsleechers download algorithm has supposed to be the best...

thats what i said, they all have advantages and disadvantages.
maybe the download algorithm is good.
the gui is still crap compared to newsbin. however, new agent will hopefully
be better than both. :P

snook789
07-11-2005, 04:59 PM
grabit uses imo to much resources when saving the file.

After starting with GrabIt, and then now trying Newsleecher, I find this to be true.
With GrabIt my pc was very slow, with Newsleecher I barely notice any change in my pc when downloading...