PDA

View Full Version : What do you use Newgroups for?

AcousticBoarder
06-21-2005, 04:22 PM
In terms of binaries, what do you mainly download?

I started off as a test wth Xbox games which is straight forward and amazingly fast with a large selection. But movies, and DivX films especially is very dissapointing as even a few popular films like 'mean girls', 'Collateral' fail to appear in any group.

The search engines are just a bad when it comes to movies, what do you download from newsgroups mainly?

RealitY
06-21-2005, 04:35 PM
New releases are mainly the mainstay of binaries in most media so dont expect to find old flicks to often...

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 04:37 PM
The search engines are just a bad when it comes to movies, what do you download from newsgroups mainly?

You cant search by moviename.. most files are not named the same as the movie itself ;)

I download everything of usenet... (mostly DVDs)

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 04:38 PM
New releases are mainly the mainstay of binaries in most media so dont expect to find old flicks to often...

:P

Last movie I downloaded:
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

there are lots of old movies on usenet :01:

muchspl3
06-21-2005, 04:40 PM
simple answer is EVERYTHING!

just got to know where to look are pay 1.88 a month for newzbin

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 04:43 PM

newzbin coppies everything from the free index sites/programs

All what is posted on FTD (dutch) is coppied on the newzbin site.

so why pay when you can get it for free?

muchspl3
06-21-2005, 04:53 PM

the same reason I pay for anything, convience. The free site are nice but are limited too so many people. Plus I split the cost with a friend.

Filliz
06-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Where do you get that idea? :huh:
They download all the headers all the time and editors sort them out for the subscribers.
Yeah,sure there are probably some editors that make use of FTD and such,so they know what to look out for.

But Nezwbin just blatantly copying everything from other indexing sites?
Nah,don't think so.

lee551
06-21-2005, 05:12 PM
mostly movies and a few weekly tv shows. i get most of the new releases from usenet somewhere.

{I}{K}{E}
06-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Where do you get that idea? :huh:
They download all the headers all the time and editors sort them out for the subscribers.
Yeah,sure there are probably some editors that make use of FTD and such,so they know what to look out for.

But Nezwbin just blatantly copying everything from other indexing sites?
Nah,don't think so.

how else do they know which file what is?? because most uploaders don't include an NFO ;)

erictc
07-03-2005, 01:00 PM
download mostly new movies and apps in German language.
since some great groups for sampling and audio stuff got screwed up i get them
from from private tracker now. but newsgroups still great for other kind of stuff
like games for pc and consoles and all kind of music.

Culley
07-03-2005, 01:28 PM
When I was using torrent, I really only downloaded TV and Anime, because of ratios.

However, I'm dling DVDs now. In fact, my current download is a 17.4 gig download!!! And, it'll be done in less than 9 hours. A file(s) this size would have taken 2 to 3 weeks on a torrent site. Even one that requires you to register.

As to the Newzbin thing... I don't know why one would have to pay... you can still browse for free... then just go find the files yourself. Right? I really think the free sites are adequate. If I'm missing something... it's prolly for the best, because I don't have the space for much more on my HD right now. :P

Samurai
07-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Mostly DVD-R's at 4.7GB. I'd love to get the DL DVD's but the discs are too damned expensive :( Maybe when they come down again it won't be a problem.

Also, PC Games & some DivX movies depending on their rarity.

hugh.jeego
07-03-2005, 11:00 PM
are newsgroups better than bit torrent????

RealitY
07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes in my opinion they are...

Hanz™
07-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Yes, there isn't quite as much stuff at any one time (as if you were using DC++ or Emule or lots of different private Bittorrent trackers) mee thinks but the speeds always max you out, and there is a good turnaround for stuff everyday loads more is added - so you never run out of stuff to download.
You also get 0day apps and stuff like HDTV rips.

Culley
07-04-2005, 03:00 PM

When I first started using Newsgroups, I didn't think so, because I was mainly downloading old things... entire seasons of TV shows... Anime Series and OVAs... but the longer I use Newsgroups the more I see those things popping up.

Also, NO ratios. FASTER downloads. (Sometimes) better quality video/audio. More variety. All this adds up to making the money worth it: especially because Newsgroups don't tie up your Internet connection. I can still download from Newsgroups and surf the net with little to NO lag, unlike when I was doing torrent all of the time.

brotherdoobie
07-05-2005, 02:58 AM

You cant search by moviename.. most files are not named the same as the movie itself ;)

I download everything of usenet... (mostly DVDs)
Agreed... I also use Usenet for discussion...novel..eh?

Peace bd