PDA

View Full Version : Things To Do In Paris

BigBank_Hank
06-21-2005, 10:36 PM
No I’m not talking about Paris Hilton :P

Late this summer I’m going to be going to France on vacation and was wondering in anyone here had ever visited there. If so what are some things that I should see while I’m there? Also what’s the weather like there in September?

bigboab
06-21-2005, 10:49 PM

Late this summer I’m going to be going to France on vacation and was wondering in anyone here had ever visited there. If so what are some things that I should see while I’m there? Also what’s the weather like there in September?

It is along time since I visited Paris. Generally when I visit a famous city, I take the 'tour' bus on the first day see the famous sights. After that I pick out the places I would like to see in more detail. Sadly you can never see all that you want to see. The weather is good in September, not hot. Enjoy your visit.:)

Tikibonbon
06-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Enjoy your trip, I am very jealous.

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 01:03 AM
Surely you can find a better place to go than France?

I'd go to the U.K. in a heartbeat, though I'm not sure they'd have me. :huh:
no you wouldn't. believe me, it sucks. everywhere is infested with chavs and touristy places charge at least double the RRP of everything.

vidcc
06-22-2005, 01:14 AM
So you don't mean Paris Texas :unsure: :lol:

this may help (http://www.paris.org/Accueil/)

I am afraid my experience of Paris and indeed France in general had more to do with business than vacation so I can't give you any "touristy" advice other than it's probably best to avoid Euro Disney. :lol:

Paris is expensive generally and if you choose to eat in the main tourist route cafés you will get the same feeling you get when filling up the car with gas.
That said if you like Architecture and art then you could be in for a treat.

Have fun buddy

BigBank_Hank
06-22-2005, 03:52 AM

Well to be honest J2 I really could think of better places myself but my sister is paying for the whole trip. She told me that it would be either London are Paris, I had my fingers crossed it would be London, but decided on Pairs.

One thing that I defiantly wanted to do is go to Normandy. I’m not sure how far that is from Paris but its somewhere I defiantly want to go.

I was also wondering if I should pack my George W. Bush 04’ hat. I think that it’d be a hit with the locals and I should blend right in.

@Vid – thanks for that link.

Barbarossa
06-22-2005, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=j2k4]
One thing that I defiantly wanted to do is go to Normandy. I’m not sure how far that is from Paris but its somewhere I defiantly want to go.

:lol: :lol: :w00t: :w00t:

I expect it looks quite close on your World Atlas or whatever, but it's probably at least 300 miles:- Normandy is on the North coast of France, Paris is sort of in the middle...

Here's what we did: Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, The Louvre, Notre Dame are the standard places to see. Also, I'd recommend taking a trip to the Sacre Coeur, up on Montmartre, from there it's not far to the Moulin Rouge, and Montmartre is a really nice part of the city anyway.

If you want a good view of the city at night, don't bother with the Eiffel Tower, take oa trip to the MontParnasse tower instead.

A riverboat trip is nice at night too. :)

Alternatively, as soon as you get there, get a taxi to Gare De Nord, and catch the Eurostar to Waterloo station, London, England. you'll be here in about 3 hours I think.... ;)

manker
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM

Well to be honest J2 I really could think of better places myself but my sister is paying for the whole trip. She told me that it would be either London are Paris, I had my fingers crossed it would be London, but decided on Pairs.

I was also wondering if I should pack my George W. Bush 04’ hat. I think that it’d be a hit with the locals and I should blend right in.

@Vid – thanks for that link.France is an absolutely beautiful country, Paris is a wonderful city. I really think it would be lost on the pair of you. On the whole I think you'll definitely enjoy your defiant trip to Normandy far more than your stay in Paris. What with all the war memorabilia, and that.

When in Paris, you could try moaning loudly (in English, naturellement) about the price of petrol/beer/food while passing snidey comments about the fortitude of the Maginot line to passing Parisians.

Alternatively, you could set your prejudices aside, maybe learn a few phrases in French to facilitate matters, marvel at the architecture and study the city dynamics. The specific recommendations already provided in this thread should more than occupy your time there. It's a far more fascinating city than London, for example, and certainly more intriguing than anything that you'll find stateside.

JPaul
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
An American Republican in Paris (sounds like a book) The Bastille is a must, one would have thought. Particularly if you are there near 14th July.

Might see some warmongering memorabilia as well if you're lucky.

Barbarossa
06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
An American Republican in Paris (sounds like a book) The Bastille is a must, one would have thought. Particularly if you are there near 14th July.

I seem to remember the Bastille was now just a traffic junction with a plaque on the pavement saying this is where it once stood... :wacko:

Are you directing Hank to go and "play in the traffic"? :ermm:

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 12:51 PM
i thought this thread was gonna be civil but as we're republican bashing.

UK really wouldn't be much better than france. we were all against the war, and we all hate bush, and tourists.

JPaul
06-22-2005, 02:49 PM

I seem to remember the Bastille was now just a traffic junction with a plaque on the pavement saying this is where it once stood... :wacko:

Shhh

This is a chap who was going to nip to Normandy while he was in Paris remember.

Next time I'm in new York I intend visiting Niagra Falls and that big stadium, what's it called, The Superbowl. They sound kewl.

vidcc
06-22-2005, 03:02 PM
maybe learn a few phrases in French to facilitate matters

Hank is a cajan family member, French is everyday use to him and his familiy, but i believe your suggestions certainly will go down well with him :lol:

manker
06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
maybe learn a few phrases in French to facilitate matters

Hank is a cajan family member, French is everyday use to him and his familiy, but i believe your suggestions certainly will go down well with him :lol:

In that case I'll defiantly retract that comment :D

JPaul
06-22-2005, 03:21 PM

In that case I'll defiantly retract that comment :D
It's "definatly".

Hoist by your own petard, quoth young JP in a rather "staying on theme" put down.

BigBank_Hank
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I had no idea that Normandy was so far from Paris; it didn’t look that far on the map. I did some reading and found that there are all day bus tours from Paris to Normandy, but I don’t know if I want to spend 4 plus hours on a bus while on vacation.

And the language barrier won’t be a problem as Vid pointed out because French is spoken more so than English in our house.

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
i think they hate bush too

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 07:31 PM
bloody pinkos :fist:

i bet it's hard not to care when they're the majority. well, actually that doesn't seem to bother you :ph34r:

JPaul
06-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Urge your sister to compromise:

ROMA!!!
A compromise between Londinium and Paris is Roma.

How so, what's yer thinking big fella.

vidcc
06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I think one will find a trip to IHOP will give one the same experience as a foreign vacation

99%
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
-
this post is not spell checked :blushing:

Paris
-Trocadero - check out skaters
-Porte dela Clignacourt - go to the market there - its massive - a must
-Arc De Triomph - cross from Champs l'issee to the centre(walking/running mode) - total adrenalin kick - it easilly do able - the cars will stop.... timing is essence. If you have Car definetly do a few rounds - also drive the ring of paris its hilarious. (see ghostrider for more info)
-Suburbs-rent a really expensive car drive south east - park your car betweeen the high tower apartments - go for a walk... make sure you have insurance - watch the movie La Hainne (The Hate) for further reference
-Drive or Take a Cab down rue due Rivoli at night time - enjoy the transvestites and other species.
-Sacre Coueor - (Port de la Chappele) try to buy some hash in that area - garantueed a life story will follow.
-St Michele - theres a little cinema there, arrive 15 minutes after the movie has started, then simply walk in for free ( the owner of the cinema is in the bar next door - if the movie is boring go the the second room)
-Metro - goto Chatalet - its where all the Metro street players meet - good tunes.
Pompidou - also has a speakers corner (no subtitles)
Enjoy

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
I'd think Hank's sister could make sense of it; I'll not pretend one of US would, harking back to his original choice of London OR Paris, which is at least equivalently incongruent, I think you'll find. :P

I'd rather London during the Blitz than Paris, personally. ;)
do you know why?

BigBank_Hank
06-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Urge your sister to compromise:

ROMA!!!

I tired to talk some sense into her but she’s a liberal so that’s impossible.

You would think that we could never get along bet as long as we don’t talk about politics we get along great.

manker
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Omg. Imagine having to refrain from talking about politics to your sister. I simply do not know how I'd cope.

{I}{K}{E}
06-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Musee du Louvre

sArA
06-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Where's Guillaume (sp?) when you need him? :blink:

It's so long since I went to Paris (a school trip actually :blushing: ) that I feel inordantly unqualified to give any recommendations.

Oh...but if I must....

I think, you should do all of what they said, and then go home for a rest!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guillaume
06-22-2005, 11:07 PM

He's busy staying away from this thread. :dry:

sArA
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Thought you might want to pop to Paris for a quick pint like...

vidcc
06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
I tired to talk some sense into her but she’s a liberal so that’s impossible.

so she got the looks AND the brains ;) :lol:

BigBank_Hank
06-23-2005, 02:23 AM

May I ask why?

manker
06-23-2005, 02:34 AM

May I ask why?Kewl, I'm the first to say 'Duh'.

BigBank_Hank
06-23-2005, 02:54 AM
May I ask why?Kewl, I'm the first to say 'Duh'.
Forgive me for thinking that someone from France would have something to contribute to the thread. It kind of was the entire purpose of the thread.

manker
06-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Kewl, I'm the first to say 'Duh'.
Forgive me for thinking that someone from France would have something to contribute to the thread. It kind of was the entire purpose of the thread.Are you for real.

If you were travelling to Wales and wanted my advice (as the only Welshman on the forum) on where to visit while you were here, but then proceeded to deride my country. I'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

The reason Guillaume stayed away from the thread is because he's rather more polite than I am.

Perhaps if you'd shown a little respect and not joined in with j2's usual Francophobia, then he'd have given you some pointers.

Peerzy
06-23-2005, 03:10 AM
Forgive me for thinking that someone from France would have something to contribute to the thread. It kind of was the entire purpose of the thread.Are you for real.

If you were travelling to Wales and wanted my advice (as the only Welshman on the forum) on where to visit while you were here, but then proceeded to deride my country. I'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

The reason Guillaume stayed away from the thread is because he's rather more polite than I am.

Perhaps if you'd shown a little respect and not joined in with j2's usual Francophobia, then he'd have given you some pointers.

And the only ghey the village :P

American's will always be too American and patriotic, if they aint eating or blowing sht up they ain't hapy.

manker
06-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Are you for real.

And the only ghey the village :P

American's will always be too American and patriotic, if they aint eating or blowing sht up they ain't hapy.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm laughing at the ghey bit, honest :D

BigBank_Hank
06-23-2005, 03:39 AM

What I told J2 is that Paris wasn’t my first choice of places to visit. I’ve never been overseas before so I’m pretty game to see and do anything new. Remember what I said earlier about my sister and I on politics? It would be foolish not to go there because of where they stand on the political spectrum.

GepperRankins
06-23-2005, 10:27 AM
well brits hate tourists, but they don't hate their dollars.

i've never been to france but i'm sure if you have nothing personal against them they'll hold nothing against you :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
06-23-2005, 10:36 AM
well brits hate tourists, but they don't hate their dollars.

I think you'll find we Brits prefer to be paid in sterling.

When I used to work in the service industry, Americans were the best customers. Because they tip so well. That's enough to stop me sneering behind their backs, spitting in their food and mocking their funny accents. I'm easily bought. :(

manker
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=manker]

Francophobia?

Manker, you go much too far.

I suffer no phobias ("Franco" or otherwise), however, I would not deign to go where my presence is not appreciated-no matter how my host(s) view my tourist dollars.

You'll find I even thoughtfully qualified any journey to the U.K., where the reputation for anti-Americanism is not quite so widespread, though perhaps I am wrong about that also.

I have a problem with people who feel compelled to sneer constantly, and if I suspect it's being done behind my back, I'll take steps to absent myself from that particular situation.

I think it's only human of me to do so; have you a different tendency?Yes. Francophobia. I made up the word as I think it fits your demeanor precisely, the implicit meaning is quite obvious - you, however, can interpret it as you wish.

Clearly not all Frech people are anti-American, indeed those that display this character trait are in the minority. You'll find most people there to be as broad minded as anywhere else in the world. Why avoid all because of the opinions of a few.

They're just people. If you're an arse they'll treat you as such, if you're a nice chap then they'll modify their behaviour accordingly.

As to absenting myself from a situation in which I believe someone to be sneering at me, or some facet of my identity, in a covert fashion. I would not, I would totally ignore it and go about my business until the sneering became overt - and then deal with it.

Anything else would be quite cowardly, as if I lacked confidence or felt guilty about something I'd done :huh:

Edit: It appears I cannot take credit for Francophobia (http://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1271&hl=en&q=Francophobia&btnG=Google+Search&meta=), damnit.

GepperRankins
06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
i reckon citizens the world over like eachother in general. they just hate eachothers politics or more precisely polititians.

if i met J2 i'd wouldn't hold anything against him for his accent or looks. if he started preaching about bush or acting condescending; then i'd make snidey comments :shifty:

manker
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
if i met J2 i'd wouldn't hold anything against him for his accent or looks. if he started preaching about bush or acting condescending; then i'd make snidey comments :shifty:Make sure that you make them aloud, else one whiff and he'd be hiding behind a bar-stool :snooty:

i reckon citizens the world over like eachother in general. they just hate eachothers politics or more precisely polititians.I agree with that entirely.

BigBank_Hank
06-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I could really care less what they think of me while I’m there. I’m going on this trip to do and see things that I’ve done before.

99%
06-23-2005, 03:58 PM
rightly so - better than daily life any day
enjoy and say hi from me

xtra - I Love Paris (http://www.ensad.fr/travaux/2000-2001/5/ises/ilove/parisdivx.avi)

vidcc
06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
I'd almost rather appear by appointment, for example on a comfy barstool (appropriately sized, of course) next to JPaul, Rat, or even you, Manker.

you could all share the same barstool if you upended it :ohmy: :naughty: :lol: http://img38.echo.cx/img38/4118/coats26yd.gif

JPaul
06-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Omg. Imagine having to refrain from talking about politics to your sister. I simply do not know how I'd cope.
Do you even know his sister.

JPaul
06-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I could really care less what they think of me while I’m there. I’m going on this trip to do and see things that I’ve done before.
Feck sake man, that's a serious waste of a trip.

Try some new stuff, don't be so hidebound and reactionary.

99%
06-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I’m going on this trip to do and see things that I’ve done before.

take a shovel, as soon as you out of plane/train/or bus etc start digging a hole as deep as you can
while at the same time remembering that you are in france
take a dump in the hole
put you head in it
and start eating

wake up!
your on vacation
have a great time
fk prejudgment - enjoy
gemby gave you life so do not abuse
soooo many posibilities

JPaul
06-23-2005, 08:38 PM
you could all share the same barstool if you upended it :ohmy: :naughty: :lol: http://img38.echo.cx/img38/4118/coats26yd.gif

Are you homophobic at all. :rolleyes:
No, he isn't afraid of his house.

That's just rediclious.

manker
06-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm afraid once again I've been misunderstood.Mais non, mon ami. I took your statement, added a tasty morsel which I didn't think you'd be able to refuse (a slight on your masculinity, no less) and cast the line asunder :naughty:

I don't think, for a moment, that you're the shrinking violet type. You've always struck me as a robust, testate sort. I do, however, think you're Francophobic. Which is a pity as it's spilled over and could affect Hank's appreciation of the culture created by the Parisian artisans.

JPaul
06-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm afraid once again I've been misunderstood. I do, however, think you're Francophobic. Which is a pity as it's spilled over and could affect Hank's appreciation of the culture created by the Parisian artisans.
I see what you are saying mate, however I think that Hank is probably capable of taking suggestions but making up his own mind.

I doubt he is so otiose as to just read the words of others and let them decide what he should or shouldn't do. Tho' I may have misread the situation, obviously.

manker
06-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I do, however, think you're Francophobic. Which is a pity as it's spilled over and could affect Hank's appreciation of the culture created by the Parisian artisans.
I see what you are saying mate, however I think that Hank is probably capable of taking suggestions but making up his own mind.

I doubt he is so otiose as to just read the words of others and let them decide what he should or shouldn't do. Tho' I may have misread the situation, obviously.It is oft said in a court of law that a jury should disregard evidence heard on account of it being inadmissable. But once heard, the implications of same evidence cannot be totally erased from one's mind's eye.

I am not suggesting Hank is otiose, merely that it may subconciously discombobulate his judgement, somewhat.

JPaul
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM

I doubt he is so otiose as to just read the words of others and let them decide what he should or shouldn't do. Tho' I may have misread the situation, obviously.It is oft said in a court of law that a jury should disregard evidence heard on account of it being inadmissable. But once heard, the implications of same evidence cannot be totally erased from one's mind's eye.

I am not suggesting Hank is otiose, merely that it may subconciously discombobulate his judgement, somewhat.
I am surprised at you, I would never have suspected you capable of such tawdry logic. If the suggestions discombobulate his subconcious decision making that has exactly the same effect as an otiose demeanour on his part.

The end result is the same.

vidcc
06-23-2005, 09:49 PM
http://img26.echo.cx/img26/6509/93586sv.jpg ;)

GepperRankins
06-23-2005, 09:50 PM
I took your statement, added a tasty morsel...and cast the line asunder :naughty:

Asunder?

Why? :huh:

Are you sure you want to cast me as a Francophobe if such term is not your own concoction?

The only problem I have with the French is their, ummm....ethnicity. :P

Move them all to Spain or Italy and I'm sure they would soon be indistinguishable from the natives.

Honestly though, our resident Guillaume has always presented as supremely reasonable and accomodating, and is as even-tempered as any here; I tip my oversized hat to him without compunction, as he has the type of effacing attitude toward his country as I have toward mine (though I'm sure this last is apparent to precisely no one), and I appreciate him doubly for that.
you shouldn't have to appreciate him. you think he's an odd one out? would you expect a regular french person to be meretricious and any one who isn't is a special case?

manker
06-23-2005, 09:52 PM
It is oft said in a court of law that a jury should disregard evidence heard on account of it being inadmissable. But once heard, the implications of same evidence cannot be totally erased from one's mind's eye.

I am surprised at you, I would never have suspected you capable of such tawdry logic. If the suggestions discombobulate his subconcious decision making that has exactly the same effect as an otiose demeanour on his part.

The end result is the same.Clearly my statement was tempered, if not qualified, with the use of 'somewhat'.

Your own use of an absolute reveals your ploy and renders your argument completely meretricious.

vidcc
06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
BTW-What/whom would you term a "regular" French person?

obviously the same as terming a regular American.....one who has fibre in their diet :rolleyes:

vidcc
06-24-2005, 03:00 AM
obviously the same as terming a regular American.....one who has fibre in their diet :rolleyes:

...and accompagné d'un Bordeaux agréable? :)

des choses sont mieux assorties au coke