PDA

View Full Version : license agreement help needed

Storm
06-22-2005, 01:08 AM
k, here's the thing........

me and a friend of mine wanna send 160 PC's we're getting free from our lovely Erasmus university to nigeria..... part to give to schools, part to sell to cover the costs.......

now the thing is, these PC's are usless without windows....... theyre pretty old, and have windows 98 on them.......

BUT the university is gonna format them before we get them, they think they cant give it with windows (98) since the licenses for the software are for the university........

i wanna know: can the university resell that license? or give it away? or any other way that we can get win 98 legally on those comps without having to pay to much.......

just downloading windows and installing it on em really aint an option (and yes, it kinda has to be 98, these things are OLD)

peat moss
06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
The logistics alone would be a nightmare. How are you going to box them up and ship them ? On a container ? What about brokerage fees , shipping costs, insurance ? Do you have monitors too ? Its wonderful idea but..................

Yours is a Business College right ? Your half way there . I would talk to local businesses and commerce about donations . Write ,email. phone Microsoft and explain what your doing ,mabye they will help . :) Can't the school use the tax right off ? :rolleyes:

Storm
06-22-2005, 02:04 AM
well the whole shipping thing isnt my department......... i just have to make sure the computers are ready for use........

getting a legal OS is my department though....... trouble is, anything but windows is kinda useless..........

(if you're interested theyll prolly go by container)

peat moss
06-22-2005, 02:16 AM
If you're a student, parent, in some kind of educational environment you can buy the software upto 75% off ? Mabye a Volume licence is the angle you should look at ? Or include 160 burnt win98 se cd's , with the shipment ? :blushing:

Don't forget the boot disks ! Its hard for a old filesharing fool like me to understand why you can't donate something to a good cause for free. Good luck tho bud .

Storm
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
thnx

yeah, we can buy windows for i think 20-25 euro......... that still makes those things cost ALOT of money (shipment was supposed to cost about 35 euro's)

Afronaut
06-22-2005, 09:22 AM
If them computers are old, I would think Linux would run better.
Of course, it might be the Drivers-issue.

A Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/) could do just fine.
There's more good distros out there too, they (folks behind distros) probably would be into this kind of project too,
who knows?

Atleast, I think Linux deserves a little more research for a project like this.
But of course, for all i know maybe you guys allready did.

:lol:

Storm
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
well i allready thought of linux, but there are a couple of problems:

1) computers have to be ready to ship out by juli 1st....... i have no knowledge of Linux, and not much time available till then

2) we're not gon be using the computers ourselves, it will be for schools and companies..... if they know how to use linux, theyll put it on themselves.......