PDA

View Full Version : New Century Media Corporation Responds to MPAA Claims As Slander

RealitY
06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Jennifer Yu, Owner of New Century Media Corporation, Responds to MPAA News Release on DVD Plant Raid

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 21, 2005--The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) yesterday issued a news release that contained false and misleading information regarding a search that was conducted by the Southern California High Tech Task Force at the offices of New Century Media in the City of Industry, CA., according to Jennifer Yu, owner of New Century Media.

"We fully cooperated with this investigation because we are a legitimate business that is not involved in any illegal actions," said Yu. "The MPAA release falsely claimed that the 'High Tech Task Force stamped out an illegal DVD/CD replicating plant.' This is categorically not true. Our business is to duplicate material for customers who own the copyright and material that is in the public domain. By these false allegations, the MPAA has slandered our name and reputation and damaged the business that my husband and I spent 14 years to build," Yu stated.

Specific inaccuracies in the MPAA release cited by Yu included:

-- New Century Media Corporation (www.newcenturymediausa.com) is NOT an illegal DVD/CD replicating plant as cited in the release headline. It has been in business since 1989 and reproduces thousands of titles per year. It operates 24/7 with a daily capacity of 80,000 DVDs. DVDs taken by the Task Force represent LESS than 1/10th of 1% (0.058%) of annual production.

-- New Century Media Corporation was NOT closed down as stated in the MPAA release and again in a quote from Senior Vice President John Malcolm. The High Tech Task Force permitted production to start again immediately.

-- For reasons completely unknown, the High Tech Task Force took approximately 2,440 sets of Genius Products, Inc.'s 6 DVD Romance collection. Genius is a public company that distributes entertainment products to national retailers. Check http://www.babygenius.com/shopping.aspx for more information.

-- The total value of items removed was $10,540 in DVDs, plus 24 stampers valued at $3,600 each or $15,000 - MPAA's claim of $30 million was inflated by 2,000%.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/news/news_source.gif Source: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050621006137&newsLang=en

nsane
06-22-2005, 04:32 PM
more proof the MPAA just makes shit up, i wonder what % their loss value is off by (that $200mil/yr) <_<

Afronaut
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
The link to the source is broken?

I get:

Warning Cannot find news for id = and language = .

I found the source but needs a login, and fuck that.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20050621006137&ndmHsc=v2*A1116846000000*B1119489304000*DgroupByDate*J2*L1*N1000837*ZJennifer%20Yu&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
i hope they sue for slander :01:

nsane
06-22-2005, 06:26 PM
...and defamation of character (since that's exactly what it does) ;)

RealitY
06-23-2005, 05:00 AM
The link to the source is broken?
Should be fine now...

Skiz
06-23-2005, 05:04 AM
Good for Yu. :shifty:

RealitY
06-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Update: Slyck.com spoke with the MPAA's public relations, who issued the following additional information. Because this is a criminal investigation, information available is limited.

"The Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. today provided additional information on the raid by the Southern California High Tech Task Force of New Century Media in the City of Industry, California, reported by it yesterday. MPAA understands that New Century Media reopened following the completion of the raid on June 15 and remains open for business."

"The $30 million estimated loss figure associated with this raid, provided in MPAA's June 20 press release, represents an estimate of the value of the DVDs seized during that raid and the value of the pirated DVDs that could be produced using the DVD stampers seized by law enforcement authorities during the raid."