PDA

View Full Version : Which Router Should I get

NeoTheOne
06-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Im thinking bout getting a router for my pc and was wondering any favorites you guys have , and also which is the way to go wire or wireless?

GepperRankins
06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
you don't need a router :fist:

RealitY
06-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Well if hes planning on using multiple computers on his connection then he does.
Ive had a DLink for a long time and Im content with it and their support also...

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Linksys.

And if you have a choice then do it wired.

Mïcrösöül°V³
06-22-2005, 08:41 PM
I have a linksys, and I would never buy another one. They have no support anymore it seems, and they only care about corporate cisco users. My router (befsx41) needs rebooted constantly. I know several others who also have issues with linksys, especially with their VOIP routers. I have VOIP, but I have a centillium router, and it works perfectly, but it is DMZ'd off of a linksys, so I loose my phone alot. Netgear is what I will buy once I find a hammer to smash my linksys. I also run a torrent tracker, and it bitches that up alot. Linksys has its good features, but the bad ones outweigh them IMO. If you are going to get a linksys, I would recommend the WRT54GS or WRT 54G wireless, as several private individuals have made good advances in third party firmware for that model (again, linksys is useless in the upgrade/maintenance department). These are just my thoughts/experiences. :)

Virtualbody1234
06-22-2005, 09:01 PM
For Mïcrösöül°V³:

http://www.jenkinsslate.com/images/products/Estwing-nylon-Hammer.gif

muchspl3
06-22-2005, 11:43 PM
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5

should be able to find it for 20.00 or so US

edit:

if you want to go wireless spend 40 & get one of these
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/474342/

muchspl3
06-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I have a linksys, and I would never buy another one. They have no support anymore it seems, and they only care about corporate cisco users. My router (befsx41) needs rebooted constantly. I know several others who also have issues with linksys, especially with their VOIP routers. I have VOIP, but I have a centillium router, and it works perfectly, but it is DMZ'd off of a linksys, so I loose my phone alot. Netgear is what I will buy once I find a hammer to smash my linksys. I also run a torrent tracker, and it bitches that up alot. Linksys has its good features, but the bad ones outweigh them IMO. If you are going to get a linksys, I would recommend the WRT54GS or WRT 54G wireless, as several private individuals have made good advances in third party firmware for that model (again, linksys is useless in the upgrade/maintenance department). These are just my thoughts/experiences. :)
:wacko:

you're crazy I bought a befsr41 over 3 years ago and it died just this year, I called and they rma'ed for me all I did was send it to them and they sent me a new one

as for your other problems sounds like user error but thats just venturing a guess...

ooo
06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
eh im having problems with the computer with the router i got a linksys wireless B, after a few days i gotta reboot it or the internet lags like crazy =/ sucks

Mïcrösöül°V³
06-23-2005, 09:21 PM
:wacko:

you're crazy I bought a befsr41 over 3 years ago and it died just this year, I called and they rma'ed for me all I did was send it to them and they sent me a new one

as for your other problems sounds like user error but thats just venturing a guess...
The problem only seem to affect the newer linksys routers. I have friends with older ones, and they work fine. Its a firmware issue, but linksys doesnt do any upgrading to correct customer problems. They havent released a fix or new firmware for my router since early 2004. I was able to get my router somewhat stable using a beta firmware, this is the reason I recommended the WRT54g series, because a few aftermarket small companies make firmware for it that is supposedly pretty rock solid stuff.

@VB :lol: Now THATS a hammer that has linksys written on it!

maebach
06-24-2005, 03:06 AM
just dont buy BELKIN