PDA

View Full Version : Stealth

Gripper
06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
saw the trailer for this one yesterday,looks quite good,quite like jet fighter storys http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0382992/ mixed in with sci-fi(fact prehaps,scary)

{I}{K}{E}
06-23-2005, 03:38 PM
didnt like the trailer. :unsure:

but Jessica Biel is in it :wub:

Gripper
06-23-2005, 03:53 PM
IKE you are such a slapper sometimes :)

{I}{K}{E}
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
IKE you are such a slapper sometimes :)

?

Just think this will be a crappy movie after seeing the trailer.
dunno exactly why :unsure:

:P

Gripper
06-23-2005, 06:25 PM
didnt like the trailer. :unsure:

but Jessica Biel is in it :wub:
you didn't like the look of the film,but I bet you watch it 'cause of the babe(that's why I called you a slapper) :lol:

hippychick
07-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I went to the pre-screening lastnight and well, the movie started off with promise and got stupid near the end. Trying to make you feel sorry for the AI plane is more for a children film then for adult action thriller.
I wanted to see more of Ray (Jammie Fox) then they showed. The previews leads you to think he is the main star...they lied. He had a small bit part and the AI plane tricked him so he got killed off early into the show, So you hate the AI plane then later they try to make it have feelings so you like it...insults your intellegence
So I would say wait for it to come out on DVD or Download, not worth the money in the theaters.

{I}{K}{E}
07-28-2005, 02:39 PM
/merged

hippychick
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
/merged
Thanks IKE I didnt see this thread...after reading my review are you going to see it the theater?

{I}{K}{E}
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
no. me think this movie isn't worth the 7 euros.

Here in Holland the movie does not come out until 8 September :lol:

NooN
07-28-2005, 03:20 PM
gonna see it... like military movies

hippychick
07-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Being ex Military I found too many mistakes and picked the movie apart lol But I guess I do that to all the military movies I see :D

maebach
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Being ex Military I found too many mistakes and picked the movie apart lol But I guess I do that to all the military movies I see :D

:lol: no fooling you.

3RA1N1AC
07-29-2005, 03:13 AM
this movie looks terrible, judging by the trailers & such.

sort of like, uh, nearly all of the threads on the first page of the "movies & tv" section. with a coupla exceptions, theyre all based on comic books, based on video games, or theyre digital cartoons like WOTW & Stealth. :/

Peerzy
07-29-2005, 03:16 AM
this movie looks terrible, judging by the trailers & such.

Do you not read a book because the cover looks ghey?

3RA1N1AC
07-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Do you not read a book because the cover looks ghey?
no, but if jessica biel's a character in the book and then i have the misfortune of seeing her do a promotional interview where she blathers on about how the pilots in the book are the best of the creme de la crop (what action book DOESN'T claim its hero is from some amazing & previously unheard of corps of elite deadly hotshot super-soldiers?)...

...if the best they can come up with is a girl whose head's about to pop off and fly away 'cause she's so excited to have a chance to explain this fascinating plot detail (the pilots in the book are really elite, they can pretend to fly CGI jets, er sorry, action book jets, better than anyone -- *YAWN*)...

... then i'd reckon the book's prolly horrible.

ALSO: anyone else notice how quickly xxx 2: state of the union was rushed to dvd? wasn't it in theaters only a few weeks ago, or sumthin' like that?

stateroute
07-29-2005, 10:17 AM
a lot of my friends say they are going to see it just to see jessica biel in a bikini. heh.
i don't think i'll see it. it just doesn't look that good. maybe i'll see The Island, because it got more stars. but i'm not super enthused about Stealth. i don't know...

maybe it's just me??

james_bond_rulez
07-29-2005, 01:21 PM
is there a good torrent site with this movie on it?

james_bond_rulez
08-04-2005, 04:37 AM
ok watched the movie, sucked ass

stupid american ego movie

what a waste of time

Busyman
08-04-2005, 01:17 PM

what a waste of time
What's an American ego movie? :huh:

imasoldier
08-04-2005, 01:30 PM

what a waste of time

Ohhhhh I just love racism How about keeping those type of comments to your self. Instead of saying "Stupid American Movie" How about explaining why it was stupid.

manker
08-04-2005, 01:31 PM

what a waste of time
What's an American ego movie? :huh:Ya know. Like in U571 where the movie makers play to a (predominantly American) audience's ego or their sense of national pride.

In that movie they recounted the tale of when a UK submarine crew captured the Enigma machine - except the UK crewmen were depicted as Americans.

That's an American ego movie. I duno if Stealth is since I haven't seen it - nor am I likely to.

manker
08-04-2005, 01:34 PM

what a waste of time

Ohhhhh I just love racism How about keeping those type of comments to your self. Instead of saying "Stupid American Movie" How about explaining why it was stupid.How did I do in the post above?

Does that meet your strict criteria. U571 was a stupid American movie.

ziggyjuarez
08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
You guys should see "three kings" now thats an american ego movie.

Busyman
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
What's an American ego movie? :huh:Ya know. Like in U571 where the movie makers play to a (predominantly American) audience's ego or their sense of national pride.

In that movie they recounted the tale of when a UK submarine crew captured the Enigma machine - except the UK crewmen were depicted as Americans.

That's an American ego movie. I duno if Stealth is since I haven't seen it - nor am I likely to.
Hmmm...sounds "historically inaccurate". I've seen where film makers depict a film in an American light but that's fucking ridiculous. I've had that film for years on DVD and never watched it. :(

However, I don't see how a movie about a stealth bomber with A.I. is "an American ego" film.

How do movie makers play to my national pride?

Busyman
08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Ohhhhh I just love racism How about keeping those type of comments to your self. Instead of saying "Stupid American Movie" How about explaining why it was stupid.How did I do in the post above?

Since I didn't see it, and historical inaccuracies aside, did the movie have good action?

I liked Crimson Tide and The Hunt For Red October. :D

manker
08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Ya know. Like in U571 where the movie makers play to a (predominantly American) audience's ego or their sense of national pride.

Hmmm...sounds "historically inaccurate". I've seen where film makers depict a film in an light by that's fucking ridiculous. I've had that film for years on DVD and never watched it. :(

However, I don't see how a movie about a stealth bomber with A.I. is "an American ego" film.

How do movie makers play to my national pride?Well, you didn't ask how a movie about a stealth bomber with AI is an American ego film. I have no idea of the answer because I've not watched the film.

Also, I don't know how movie makers would appeal to your national pride - you'd be the best, indeed only, person who could answer that. However, I've demonstrated how they play to the general public's national pride.

They glorify American heros ... or if they can't do that, they steal other country's heros - or simply make 'em up :schnauz:

manker
08-04-2005, 03:33 PM
How did I do in the post above?

Since I didn't see it, and historical inaccuracies aside, did the movie have good action?

I liked Crimson Tide and The Hunt For Red October. :DYeah, it's not that bad.

I enjoyed it, even tho' it's a stupid American movie :D

Busyman
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Hmmm...sounds "historically inaccurate". I've seen where film makers depict a film in an light by that's fucking ridiculous. I've had that film for years on DVD and never watched it. :(

How do movie makers play to my national pride?Well, you didn't ask how a movie about a stealth bomber with AI is an American ego film. I have no idea of the answer because I've not watched the film.

Also, I don't know how movie makers would appeal to your national pride - you'd be the best, indeed only, person who could answer that. However, I've demonstrated how they play to the general public's national pride.

They glorify American heros ... or if they can't do that, they steal other country's heros - or simply make 'em up :schnauz:
A hero is a hero, whether simply an American character in an American movie, an American military character, or a European character blahblahblah.

Btw, you haven't demonstrated how they play to the general public national pride. You just said that it is done. :dry:

manker
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
They glorify them. Americans are portrayed in a glorious light. There is a lot of glorification of Americans going on in films where movie makers glorify Americans.

Wait, did I say that. Oh yea ... I did :dry:

Busyman
08-04-2005, 03:54 PM
They glorify them. Americans are portrayed in a glorious light. There is a lot of glorification of Americans going on in films where movie makers glorify Americans.

Oh damn you did.... :ohmy:

After you said you demonstrated that you did. :dry:

manker
08-04-2005, 04:02 PM

After you said you demonstrated that you did. :dry:I demonstrated when I said that movie makers portrayed Americans as being the ones who captured the Enigma cypher, when they weren't.

What a glorious occasion, capturing a device which enabled the decryption of all nazi communications.

That's glorifying Americans. Do you see how it works now.

Busyman
08-04-2005, 06:32 PM

After you said you demonstrated that you did. :dry:I demonstrated when I said that movie makers portrayed Americans as being the ones who captured the Enigma cypher, when they weren't.

What a glorious occasion, capturing a device which enabled the decryption of all nazi communications.

It's piece of shit inaccurate storytelling.

Wait you are right. If the British were accurately depicted capturing the device, they would have been glorified since they were the heroes. Then it'd be a British glorication movie. :huh:

Since this is a genre of movies (American glorification), can anyone name some more?

I might feel like going to Iraq to get shot or somethin'.

Maybe Hollywood should stop making black glorification movies..portraying black people in a good light, spurring them to feel proud of where they came from. :dry:

Cheese
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Stealth sucked.

I refuse to watch U571 on principle. Just as I'm sure some Americans would refuse to watch a movie about a wholly British team of scientists inventing the Atom Bomb, as a Cuban might refuse to watch a Bay of Pigs film set on the Isle of Man or a Brazilian may refuse to watch a film about the 2002 World Cup where Peru win it.

Cheese
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Since this is a genre of movies (American glorification), can anyone name some more?

Independence Day.

Busyman
08-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Independence Day.
How so?

What's funny is that I noticed these are pretty much military films (yesyes ID4 too) that are cited.

Won't a movie, where you are fighting for your country, have patriotism in it?
The movie is called Independence Day ffs.....a slight allusion to July 4th.

Btw, I agree with you on the U-571 thingie.

I could have sworn there was a disclaimer put in the beginning of the movie about the British because of pressure from history buffs.

Even though some liberties will be taken, historically based movies should not change the important basics of historical events.

Making the heroes out to be American is fucking shameful.

However if there was a movie about Brits makin' da bomb...well if the movie looked like it was made well, I'd probably watch it.

I just think that movies that put forth as not being "what if's" but as real historical events are irresponsible.

Peerzy
08-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Independence Day.
How so?

What's funny is that I noticed these are pretty much military films (yesyes ID4 too) that are cited.

I could have sworn there was a disclaimer put in the beginning of the movie about the British because of pressure from history buffs.

Even though some liberties will be taken, historically based movies should not change the important basics of historical events.

However if there was a movie about Brits makin' da bomb...well if the movie looked like it was made well, I'd probably watch it.

I just think that movies that put forth as not being "what if's" but as real historical events are irresponsible.

Film focuses on nothing but America in which the Americans save the world and then decide to help the poor stupid rest of the world. Go America!

I don't think American's really get the Tv show American Dad, it's taken the piss out of you :lol:

no, but if jessica biel's a character in the book and then i have the misfortune of seeing her do a promotional interview where she blathers on about how the pilots in the book are the best of the creme de la crop (what action book DOESN'T claim its hero is from some amazing & previously unheard of corps of elite deadly hotshot super-soldiers?)...

Die Hard - John Mclain

3RA1N1AC
08-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Die Hard - John Mclain
AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE. :lol:

Peerzy
08-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Die Hard - John Mclain
AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE. :lol:

Buy nay, t'is still pwnage on my part.

PS: Caps lock is auto-pilot for cool.

3RA1N1AC
08-05-2005, 12:58 AM
PS: Caps lock is auto-pilot for cool.
IS IT? :lol:

Busyman
08-05-2005, 01:09 AM
How so?

Film focuses on nothing but America in which the Americans save the world and then decide to help the poor stupid rest of the world. Go America!

I don't think American's really get the Tv show American Dad, it's taken the piss out of you :lol:

:blink:
Wtf are you talking about?

I think I get it now.

Do other countries feel left out? I mean I heard someone get pissed 'cause WOTW didn't show action in another country. Are you that fucking stupid?

It would nice to see a nice epic 'round the world movie but 'it just ain't'.

I get why people are pissed over U-571 but don't get pissed at Hollywood 'cause your fucking country wasn't included in the lastest release ya dipshits. :dry:

You know what Hollywood does if they want Americanize a movie? They fucking remake it....and still we didn't get pissed 'cause "aww man in China their always doing dem flips why come they don make kung-fu wit a white American in it.

Hollywood makes predominately American movies. Doesn't Bollywood Indian movie or sumthin'?

If an American turns out to be the hero in the movie don't be shocked. If it's a military it juuuuuust might have some patriotism.

I saw the same thing in Enemy At The Gates...all that fucking Russian patriotism. :dry:

Many of us like patriotism. Unfortunately we have Darth Sidious as our President...but that's another matter.

So far we've got....

U-571 (which was a travesty)
Independnce Day (we are fighting maraudingaliens WTFdoyouexpect...not to rally our troops :dry: )

What else?

Saving Private Ryan? Oh yeah it was mighty patriotic to send soldiers to get her last remaining son out of combat.

Unbreakable? A non-military movie where there is an American hero. It even has a black antagonist. Those damn white American heroes.

Hamburger Hill? Well no, we pretty much got our asses kicked.
Plus ain't that another military movie?

Die Hard? Well, wasn't too much patriotism there.....just some poor bloke trying to stay alive. Oh but he was a hero and uh Americannnn. :ohmy:

Hey Amelie wasn't American and was critically acclaimed.

Go watch that.

Snee
08-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Busy, seriously, stop pretending you don't get it.

manker
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
I demonstrated when I said that movie makers portrayed Americans as being the ones who captured the Enigma cypher, when they weren't.

It's piece of shit inaccurate storytelling.

Wait you are right. If the British were accurately depicted capturing the device, they would have been glorified since they were the heroes. Then it'd be a British glorication movie. :huh: Well, duh.

You asked what an American ego film was - so I explained that it was a film that appealed to the average American's sense of national pride.

You asked how they did that, so I said they glorify American heros, steal other countries heros or make them up.

Now you're asking if it's the same for other countries --- YES!!

Is this the ask stupid questions thread or what.

If a film portrays British soldiers in a good light, doing something glorious - then it appealing to the British sense of national pride, it's a British ego movie.

Holy Chebus. Just how obvious are the answers to the questions that you're asking.

I might feel like going to Iraq to get shot or somethin'.

Maybe Hollywood should stop making black glorification movies..portraying black people in a good light, spurring them to feel proud of where they came from. :dry:Why? There's nothing bad in it - unless it's done inaccurately. Covering an actual hero in glory using the medium of film is great. I've no problems whatsoever, I don't even mind a bit of creative licence. Even making heros up is fine; superheros, for example. Great entertainment.

Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.

Snee
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
manker, sometimes there's another thing, which I reckon is what really would annoy some people:

When they do everything you say, and at the same time manage to portray the rest of the world as a bunch of helpless lamers or something.

I don't care about so much about americans being portrayed as supermen, if it's that stupid I just won't watch it, but when they make the rest of the world look like a bunch of helpless losers in need of saving, it can be a bit annoying.

Like in ID4 for instance.

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.

manker
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
manker, sometimes there's another thing, which I reckon is what really would annoy some people:

When they do everything you say, and at the same time manage to portray the rest of the world as a bunch of helpless lamers or something.

I don't care about so much about americans being portrayed as supermen, if it's that stupid I just won't watch it, but when they make the rest of the world look like a bunch of helpless losers in need of saving, it can be a bit annoying.

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.Sure, I guess that adds up to being an American ego movie too.

I've never watched Independence Day or ID4 - tbh, I've never watched a film that does that but I'm sure they exist.

I really don't watch that many films :D

Busyman
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Maybe Hollywood should stop making black glorification movies..portraying black people in a good light, spurring them to feel proud of where they came from. :dry:
Why? There's nothing bad in it - unless it's done inaccurately. Covering an actual hero in glory using the medium of film is great. I've no problems whatsoever, I don't even mind a bit of creative licence. Even making heros up is fine; superheros, for example. Great entertainment.

Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.[/QUOTE]
Really?

If you haven't noticed smartguyansweringquestions, people from other countries seem to have a problem with it.

Point is fuck off then. :dry:

They seem to have a problem when an American is portrayed as a superhero and their country didn't find way kill an alien or some shit.

So well duh doesn't cut it seeing that we don't look at a movie protraying their conutrymen in a somewhat good light as a insertcountryhere glorification movie...an actual genre.

Chebus, are you that stupid or what?

Busyman
08-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.

:lol: :lol:
@manker- Case in point above

Since you haven't seen ID4 mank....America happens to figure out how to destry the ships and relays the information to the other countries.

A fella commits suicide by ramming the ship in vulnerable spot...oh and we upload a Windows virus into an alien computer. :lol: :lol: :dry:

So 'cause we so-called, figured it out, BAMMMM, American ego movie...

Oh wait while we're fighting the President says something about God and country to rally the troops....not really necessary fighting a war. I think I heard a peptalk in National Lampoon's Van Wilder too.

That makes a whole genre and shit.

manker
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Why? There's nothing bad in it - unless it's done inaccurately. Covering an actual hero in glory using the medium of film is great. I've no problems whatsoever, I don't even mind a bit of creative licence. Even making heros up is fine; superheros, for example. Great entertainment.

Excepting U571, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just answering your dumbass questions.
Really?

If you haven't noticed smartguyansweringquestions, people from other countries seem to have a problem with it.

They seem to have a problem when an American is portrayed as a superhero and their country didn't find way kill an alien or some shit.

So well duh doesn't cut it seeing that we don't look at a movie protraying their conutrymen in a somewhat good light as a insertcountryhere glorification movie...an actual genre.

Chebus, are you that stupid or what?Do me a favour, arse.

Just answer me with respect to what I post. I can't be held accountable for what others think.

I already said I don't have a problem with American ego movies unless they're stealing heros from other countries.

I answered your dumbass questions with answers even a child could comprehend.

Am I mistaken when I presume that you understand them.

Cheese
08-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I found ID4 to be jingoistic but that was not the film's only problem, it required a large dose of suspended disbelief for it to make sense, Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith suck. The special effects were crappy and overused as well imo.

Would have been funny if the French had saved the world (and America) at the end.

manker
08-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Having some character in a movie hold some peptalk, or speech, about how great america is without it really being necessary for the plot is kinda' silly too.Sure, I guess that adds up to being an American ego movie too.

I've never watched Independence Day or ID4 - tbh, I've never watched a film that does that but I'm sure they exist.

I really don't watch that many films :DTeh fook, I've just imdb'd it.

ID4 = Independence day.

Fecking elitist bar-stewards, stop trying to confuse me :D

Guillaume
08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Would have been funny if the French had saved the world (and America) at the end.

Look, we all know ID4 is (bad) sci-fi, but that is just crazy-talk. :dry:

Busyman
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Really?

Chebus, are you that stupid or what?Do me a favour, arse.

Just answer me with respect to what I post. I can't be held accountable for what others think.

I already said I don't have a problem with American ego movies unless they're stealing heros from other countries.

I answered your dumbass questions with answers even a child could comprehend.

Am I mistaken when I presume that you understand them.
Nuh uh :1eye:

And damnit at least insult me with an insult that's insulting. Arse? :lol: :lol:

The fuck off comment was meant for others mmk? I should have said "they should fuck off then".

Besides that, fuck your respect since want to go there....

Ya don't like Weebl and you are ok with American glorification movies....

Your European card is revoked.

manker
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Arse just seemed fitting, insults are not my strong point.

Being right is. I'm damn good at that ... oh, you already know :schnauz:

Busyman
08-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I found ID4 to be jingoistic but that was not the film's only problem, it required a large dose of suspended disbelief for it to make sense, Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith suck. The special effects were crappy and overused as well imo.

Now come on man...

We can upload a Windows viruses into an alien computer.
Fly a crop duster into a spaceship to destroy it.
Aliens can give the President their plans to kill human kind...by a flash of psychicness.
A dog can avoid nuclear destruction by jumping through a door and teh nuclearness goes past himnotenterthedoor.

Come on man...really come on.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM

Me three, I mean me too. :unsure:

Insults are a strong point of mine especially when you must deal with hecklers in a crowded room with all eyes on you.

They get to sit in the dark spouting insults.

I understand arse is an insult over in the UK but to most (I'm guessing)Americans it amounts to being called "a big ole doodyhead".

I have very thick skin so please do better. :dry:

Snee
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM

How is that case in point for you?

That movie was one big America>everyone else statement.

"You" didn't just call it, in fact, the only time the rest of the world mattered in that movie was when America spread its wisdom to all the others. And everyone was oh so grateful.

It was pretty fooking lame, 'k? And the president did the silly speech thing too.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM

How is that case in point for you?

That movie was one big America>everyone else statement.

"You" didn't just call it, in fact, the only time the rest of the world mattered in that movie was when America spread its wisdom to all the others. And everyone was oh so grateful.

It was pretty fooking lame, 'k? And the president did the silly speech thing too.
The movie was lame besides the very beginning when everything was destroyed.

Other than that, you must have an inferiority complex.

Besides the very beginning, where did the movie take place?

America?

America "spread it's wisdom" (funny you look at it that way) when it found out how to destroy the spaceships. Basically you got a problem with America telling everyone else or simply that we found out, mostly likely first. :(

It sound like some countries must have thanked us in the movie since you said they were so grateful. :ohmy:

Oh yeah the President did a speech when talking to his higher ups and fucking troops before going into a fucked up battle. That was totally unwarranted. :1eye:

Why didn't he STFU it was only the human race they were fighting for. :wacko:

ziggyjuarez
08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Busyman why you representing america?Dont you know this country hates "us"

manker
08-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Insults are a strong point of mine especially when you must deal with hecklers in a crowded room with all eyes on you.

I understand arse is an insult over in the UK but to most (I'm guessing)Americans it amounts to being called "a big ole doodyhead".

I have very thick skin so please do better. :dry:Well, I don't have to insult you with silly names. I'll stick to being really fucking sarcastic and/or condescending, if that's okay.

I don't know, I just think it's more effective.

Btw, I laugh out loud every time you allude to being a stand up comic IRL. Unfortunately that's about the only time I do when reading what you write.

Upload one of your acts, if you don't I'll be forced to conclude that either your act is shit - or that you're full of it :D

Snee
08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
@busy: Actually, I don't think you get what I'm saying, or that you are being dense on purpose.

The scenes from the rest of the world were only there to show how helpless the rest of the world was. The entire thing is written to make Americans feel good about america.

And the speech, it's stupid, pointless, and ultra-patriotic.

Now, I don't fucking care if you thought it was good, or if you like other unlikely nonsense, I'm not even making a value statement about what I think about american patriotism in movies (I do have a problem if it's done at the expense of the rest of the world, tho').

What I'm saying is that ID4 is ultra-patriotic, and that it glorifies America, it even goes so far as to turn america into some kind of savior for all of mankind.

Oh yeah, and it's very obvious in this, and that it's badly written.

I don't have an inferiority complex, but I think you might. Trying to make this about America (trying to tell people what to do, or whatever), and not crappy patriotic movies :rolleyes:

'k, thanks, now shut the hell up.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 01:40 PM

I have very thick skin so please do better. :dry:Well, I don't have to insult you with silly names. I'll stick to being really fucking sarcastic and/or condescending, if that's okay.

I don't know, I just think it's more effective.

Btw, I laugh out loud every time you allude to being a stand up comic IRL. Unfortunately that's about the only time I do when reading what you write.

Upload one of your acts, if you don't I'll be forced to conclude that either your act is shit - or that you're full of it :D
Uh...I don't care. :dry:

I'll never reveal who I am or what I look like.

I just can't. I'm on here 'cause of boredom at work or between thoughts while on the keys and that's all. :dry:

Btw I like condescending too but when you say shit like "arse" it's like being called a newspaper. I keep forgetting that you guys don't actually pronounce it "arse" but "oss" which actually sounds more like our insult of "ass". We see it though and pronounce it how it's actually spelled and it is rather funny.

edit: I may upload a vid but it would be as anonymous spam. Mmk? :lol: :lol:

manker
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd love to see that vid - no shit :D

Btw, I pronounce arse like this: r-sss

r = the letter 'r' or the word 'are'

ss = like wot a snake does.

Not 'oss' :blink:

Adster
08-05-2005, 01:56 PM
worst movie ever

Busyman
08-05-2005, 01:56 PM
@busy: Actually, I don't think you get what I'm saying, or that you are being dense on purpose.

The scenes from the rest of the world were only there to show how helpless the rest of the world was. The entire thing is written to make Americans feel good about america.

And the speech, it's stupid, pointless, and ultra-patriotic.

Now, I don't fucking care if you thought it was good, or if you like other unlikely nonsense, I'm not even making a value statement about what I think about american patriotism in movies (I do have a problem if it's done at the expense of the rest of the world, tho').

What I'm saying is that ID4 is ultra-patriotic, and that it glorifies America, it even goes so far as to turn america into some kind of savior for all of mankind.

Oh yeah, and it's very obvious in this, and that it's badly written.

I don't have an inferiority complex, but I think you might. Trying to make this about America (trying to tell people what to do, or whatever), and not crappy patriotic movies :rolleyes:

'k, thanks, now shut the hell up.
Here's the thing (oh damn, forgot to STHU :pinch: ).

ID4 does suck. I said it did (besides the beginning).

You do have an inferiority complex.

The scenes of rest of world are just like one's in America....aliens blowing LANDMARKS up and not about making foreign countries look bad ya nutjob.

America is fighting a war smartguy. There's like a whole military thing going on and what not.

The entire movie was written to make money. I didn't walk away feeling good about America.

I was glad that they kicked the aliens ass with a Windows virus, a crop duster, and I could leave the theater. :dry:

Adster
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
also heard this movie wasting quite a bit of millions of dollars

Busyman
08-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd love to see that vid - no shit :D

Btw, I pronounce arse like this: r-sss

r = the letter 'r' or the word 'are'

ss = like wot a snake does.

Not 'oss' :blink:
Oh my bad. Maybe when I was hearing 'oss' they were saying 'ass' then. :unsure:

Ahhh....accents accents.

Snee
08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
:lol:

Ah, to live in busyland where everything that doesn't fit in with your opinions doesn't exist.

I don't know how you could happen to miss out on that movie being ultra-patriotic, or how you can avoid seeing how the scenes involving the rest of the world at the end of the movie was a plot device to make america look good. But I do know that the only one who has a problem is you.

FFS, this entire argument came into existance 'cos some kid said he thought the movie stealth was patriotic/glorifying america. You didn't have to take it personally or as a comment about your country per se, nor did you need to do the same about any of the posts saying that one movie or another is patriotic, yet you do. Paranoia or inferiority complex, I dunno' what is your problem, but you are damned sensitive, finding arguments everywhere.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 02:19 PM
:lol:

Ah, to live in busyland where everything that doesn't fit in with your opinions doesn't exist.

I don't know how you could happen to miss out on that movie being ultra-patriotic, or how you can avoid seeing how the scenes involving the rest of the world at the end of the movie was a plot device to make america look good. But I do know that the only one who has a problem is you.

FFS, this entire argument came into existance 'cos some kid said he thought the movie stealth was patriotic/glorifying america. You didn't have to take it personally or as a comment about your country per se, nor did you need to do the same about any of the posts saying that one movie or another is patriotic, yet you do. Paranoia or inferiority complex, I dunno' what is your problem, but you are damned sensitive, finding arguments everywhere.
It ain't the first time I heard similar "patriotic" stuff about American movies or the fact that "their" country wasn't in it or how everyone has an American accent.

It's weird that American don't have the same issues with foreign films.

WhyTF isn't James Bond American? Why is that Brit the one always saving the world?

Also...
of course it has patriotism..it's a movie involving the military and the President ffs. :lol: :lol:

Now go watch
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
Full Metal Jacket
Air Force One

or even Starship Troopers.... :lol: :lol:

Cheese
08-05-2005, 02:40 PM

You don't speak for America though, only yourself. Besides, Hollywood is more likely to remake a foreign film than actually allow another culture's film at their cinemas/on DVD. That or heavily edit it.

WhyTF isn't James Bond American? Why is that Brit the one always saving the world?

The Britishishness of James Bond is very much tongue in cheek. As opposed to the cloying patriotism extolled in films like ID4.

maebach
08-05-2005, 03:01 PM
yea, I can't stand James Bond. Highly doubt a Brit can do that :dry:

Busyman
08-05-2005, 03:04 PM
You don't speak for America though, only yourself. Besides, Hollywood is more likely to remake a foreign film than actually allow another culture's film at their cinemas/on DVD. That or heavily edit it.

The Britishishness of James Bond is very much tongue in cheek. As opposed to the cloying patriotism extolled in films like ID4.
ID4 involves war and soldiers though. My reference to JB was tongue and cheek.

Why do you think Hollywood remakes some foreign films? Do actually think it's about "not allowing another culture" into our cinemas?

Do you actually think we don't like subtitled movies in our cinemas 'cause we have a reading problem?

Hollywood is out to make money plain and simple.

I remember the movie Fatal Attraction had this shit ending for European cinemas (or was it just France) where instead of having the actionesque fight where Glen Close gets shot, they have this boring scene where she commits suicide alone in her bathroom.

I personally don't like the cinema for dramas. I like comdedies, horror, action, and sci-fi. Many folks that I know want to be wowed when at the cinema. I don't the cinema and surround sound to be "culturally enriched".

Tbh, for the most part. Independence Day was entertaining when I saw it, although it was a downhill ride. Now though, if I ever watch it, it is to the destruction of all those landmarks....basically a video clip.

An entertaining movie through and through would be Aliens but that has patriotism too. Hell it does have the Marines fighting in it.

We just look at it as the Marines in the future and not "the US is the best and PWNS!!111OMG lOL!11!".

Busyman
08-05-2005, 03:08 PM
yea, I can't stand James Bond. Highly doubt a Brit can do that :dry:
I like James Bond.

My favorite was Roger Moore though. Alot of other I know liked Sean Connery the best.

It's kinda messed up that Pierce Brosnan doesn't want to do it anymore. Wtf else does he have to do?

I would like to have seen Clive Owen but alas they seem to have someone else in mind.

Snee
08-05-2005, 03:23 PM
It ain't the first time I heard similar "patriotic" stuff about American movies or the fact that "their" country wasn't in it or how everyone has an American accent.

It wouldn't be if it's common, now would it?

'sides, I don't have a problem with my country not being in the movie :blink:
What I am saying is that the writer only put people from the rest of the world in there to show how it was saved by America, there really wasn't another reason for it.

All of those people just sat there when the phone rang and the americans had solved it.

It's obvious and fairly pointless.

Like cheebus said, a lot of movies and tv-series are remade into american versions.

It's like "coupling", the original version was already in English, but the accents were wrong or something, so there had to be an american version.

I think, but this is just a personal opinion, that Americans seem to have a lot of trouble with foreign movies.

What has that have to do with whether stealth, or ID4 are what they are or not?

And he usually works with people from all over, so he usually has help from a couple of other nationalities, and he's just one bloke doing it, it's not really exclusively about Britain or anything.

I daresay Bond-movies, even the old ones are a lot less patriotic/egocentric than ID4, for one thing there's not really any silly speeches about the greatness of britain :blink:

Also...
of course it has patriotism..it's a movie involving the military and the President ffs. :lol: :lol:
Yes, so it is patriotic :blink:

The point was that it's patriotic in such a way that it's stupid. Stupid american ego movie, and etc.

Now go watch
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
Full Metal Jacket
Air Force One

Why? :blink:

Think I've seen them all, and while some kinda' suck, I don't really see what you are trying to accomplish with that suggestion.

EDit:

We just look at it as the Marines in the future and not "the US is the best and PWNS!!111OMG lOL!11!".
Didn't see them waving any flags or hold any speeches about how great america is.

Heck, I don't think they are supposed to be american :unsure:

manker
08-05-2005, 04:28 PM
yea, I can't stand James Bond. Highly doubt a Brit can do that :dry:It's not supposed to be based on a true story, you idiot.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 04:32 PM
It wouldn't be if it's common, now would it?

'sides, I don't have a problem with my country not being in the movie :blink:
What I am saying is that the writer only put people from the rest of the world in there to show how it was saved by America, there really wasn't another reason for it.

All of those people just sat there when the phone rang and the americans had solved it.

It's obvious and fairly pointless.

I barely even remember seeing another country except when everyone's landmarks were getting blown to shit.

Other than that after a crop duster destroyed a ship I think they showed ships going down all over the world.

The writer put the rest of the world in there 'cause the aliens were fighting the whole planet and to show landmarks. I can recall a nice backdrop of a downed ship in the desert for instance. You got it so twisted that you only see "Oh yeah, so America came up with teh solution :dry: ".

The movie takes place in America. It would be weird to have them just get a call from Japan telling them the solution. You gotta have them go through adversity and have the suicidal pilot figure it out. :lol: :lol: If it was based it France I would want the same thing since it takes place there.

It's weird that Americans don't have the same issues with foreign films.

Like cheebus said, a lot of movies and tv-series are remade into american versions.

It's like "coupling", the original version was already in English, but the accents were wrong or something, so there had to be an american version.

I think, but this is just a personal opinion, that Americans seem to have a lot of trouble with foreign movies.
I've said that as well. With also said (like with Weebl) it's a cultural thing. White Americans are the most identifiable and make up most of our population. British accents are not easy to understand sometimes and subtitles tend to take away from an overall "wow" experience. Don't get me wrong. I've seen good movies with subtitles (like the Returner) but would I have preferred it in English (not dubbed)? Absolutely. Besides that, the Returner wasn't THAT good anyway. I've seen many more American sci-fi movies that trounce it.

Regarding the Coupling, Hollywood gets it wrong too. I mean the show, when brought here, might have done shit ratings, British or not. I've never cared to watch it personally.

What has that have to do with whether stealth, or ID4 are what they are or not?

And he usually works with people from all over, so he usually has help from a couple of other nationalities, and he's just one bloke doing it, it's not really exclusively about Britain or anything.

I daresay Bond-movies, even the old ones are a lot less patriotic/egocentric than ID4, for one thing there's not really any silly speeches about the greatness of britain :blink:
My mention of JB was bullshitting. However, movies cited you and others are usually involving military troops or an attack of one's country.

Also...
of course it has patriotism..it's a movie involving the military and the President ffs. :lol:

Yes, so it is patriotic :blink:

The point was that it's patriotic in such a way that it's stupid. Stupid american ego movie, and etc.Riiight. As I said the President shouldn't say shit to his troops. :huh:

Now go watch
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
Full Metal Jacket
Air Force One

Why? :blink:

Think I've seen them all, and while some kinda' suck, I don't really see what you are trying to accomplish with that suggestion.
Fun with Patriotism

Didn't see them waving any flags or hold any speeches about how great america is.

Heck, I don't think they are supposed to be american :unsure:
Maybe not. I thought the black sarge said "United States Marine Corps" and made a little speech about it being great to be in it. Maybe I got it wrong.

I remember a thread where someone mentioned the American flag falling down in Jurassic Park when the T-Rex roars near the end. They had something to say about America in that too. Jeez.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 04:34 PM
yea, I can't stand James Bond. Highly doubt a Brit can do that :dry:It's not supposed to be based on a true story, you idiot.
....and why can't a Brit do it anyway. :blink:

Do Brits have some type of bone marrow problem?

manker
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I remember a thread where someone mentioned ... .

Stop arguing with other people in different threads, it makes you sound mental :angry: :lol:

Snee
08-05-2005, 05:22 PM
I barely even remember seeing another country except when everyone's landmarks were getting blown to shit.

Other than that after a crop duster destroyed a ship I think they showed ships going down all over the world.

The writer put the rest of the world in there 'cause the aliens were fighting the whole planet and to show landmarks. I can recall a nice backdrop of a downed ship in the desert for instance. You got it so twisted that you only see "Oh yeah, so America came up with teh solution :dry: ".

The movie takes place in America. It would be weird to have them just get a call from Japan telling them the solution. You gotta have them go through adversity and have the suicidal pilot figure it out. :lol: :lol: If it was based it France I would want the same thing since it takes place there.
The only bits in the movie that featured actual people from other nations that did something, were the ones were they got the call, the whole thing gave the impression that everyone was helpless until america came and saved the day.
If it had been more than an excuse to show how america saved the world there would probably have been a few scenes showing what happened to people in the rest of the world, not just scenes of pyramids and whatnot being contrasted against spaceships for effect.

Like I said, it was pretty damned obvious those scenes were only there to show how america saved the world. And, yeah then you had a couple of downed saucers showing that the solution worked, but all in all it was a pretty pointless exercise, except for showing how america saved the world".

As for the speech, as far as I know it's entirely possible to rally the troops without spending a couple minutes talking about how great the yare as americans or something..

But then again, maybe it's impossible for americans to act without listening to some junk about how great their nation is for like five minutes first. I really wouldn't know about that.

EDit: actually, WRT the speech, I must have been thinking about some other part of the movie, or maybe another movie, 'cos the bit where he's trying to inspire the pilots is more cheesy than patriotic, or at least the part of the speech I can find online :blushing:

I've said that as well. With also said (like with Weebl) it's a cultural thing. White Americans are the most identifiable and make up most of our population. British accents are not easy to understand sometimes and subtitles tend to take away from an overall "wow" experience. Don't get me wrong.

How come large parts of the world can handle subtitles just fine?

I've never found them distracting, and the general consensus here, for adults anyway, is that movies in other languages should be subtitled rather than dubbed or remade.

In fact, a lot of people, me included, would prolly laugh their asses off if some muppet would do a remake of the ring in our language.

Remaking a movie to fit your culture or language is more than just a little bit pointless as you take away part of what makes it unique.

EDit: And it's pretty amazing how british accents can be hard to understand for people who live in a nation with more accents altogether than the whole of britain (I think :unsure: ).

If you can grasp texan, brooklyn accents and bostonian (or whatever it's called) the accents in coupling for instance should be a snap.

Maybe not. I thought the black sarge said "United States Marine Corps" and made a little speech about it being great to be in it. Maybe I got it wrong.
I don't think they are american, I think they are supposed to be troops for some future nation or possibly corporation. Weyland-Yulani, or is that in a later movie?

At any rate Alien is definietly not made in the same, stupidly patriotic, vein as ID4.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 06:11 PM
The only bits in the movie that featured actual people from other nations that did something, were the ones were they got the call, the whole thing gave the impression that everyone was helpless until america came and saved the day.
If it had been more than an excuse to show how america saved the world there would probably have been a few scenes showing what happened to people in the rest of the world, not just scenes of pyramids and whatnot being contrasted against spaceships for effect.

Like I said, it was pretty damned obvious those scenes were only there to show how america saved the world. And, yeah then you had a couple of downed saucers showing that the solution worked, but all in all it was a pretty pointless exercise, except for showing how america saved the world".

That's how you see it 'cause you have an inferiority complex. Many of us saw it and just saw it the desert as a backdrop. This is further pointed out as they rather exotic or recognizable locales...even the one's in America. :dry:

As for the speech, as far as I know it's entirely possible to rally the troops without spending a couple minutes talking about how great the are as americans or something..

But then again, maybe it's impossible for americans to act without listening to some junk about how great their nation is for like five minutes first. I really wouldn't know about that.
Americans in the military tend to hear that or the average joe might here it after a terrorist attack. Maybe the higher ups could trim down the rallying cry a bit. :mellow:

I've said that as well. With also said (like with Weebl) it's a cultural thing. White Americans are the most identifiable and make up most of our population. British accents are not easy to understand sometimes and subtitles tend to take away from an overall "wow" experience. Don't get me wrong.

How come large parts of the world can handle subtitles just fine?

I've never found them distracting, and the general consensus here, for adults anyway, is that movies in other languages should be subtitled rather than dubbed or remade.

In fact, a lot of people, me included, would prolly laugh their asses off if some muppet would do a remake of the ring in our language.

Remaking a movie to fit your culture or language is more than just a little bit pointless as you take away part of what makes it unique.
It's not a matter of handling it. To add to that...we don't have to handle it.

EDit: And it's pretty amazing how british accents can be hard to understand for people who live in a nation with more accents altogether than the whole of britain (I think :unsure: ).

If you can grasp texan, brooklyn accents and bostonian (or whatever it's called) the accents in coupling for instance should be a snap.
Some of them are hard to understand too. :angry:
Bostonian - "Get in da cah."

I don't think they are american, I think they are supposed to be troops for some future nation or possibly corporation. Weyland-Yulani, or is that in a later movie?

At any rate Alien is definietly not made in the same, stupidly patriotic, vein as ID4.They are the Marine Corps. Nuff said.

Snee
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
1. I don't have an inferiority complex. I haven't said they were saying or not saying anything about me personally, I was saying it was crappy writing.

I can't have an inferiority complex just because I'm saying a movie was stupid :huh:

It was just made in such a way that the rest of the world was used to show how great the heroes'/america's achievement look better, they didn't just save america, they saved everyone else.

Who otherwise didn't have a place in the plot.

Feck, it didn't hurt me none, it was just pointless as writing scenes go.

I never took it personally or anything, I just thought it was daft.

2. WRT the speech, I just edited in this:

EDit: actually, WRT the speech, I must have been thinking about some other part of the movie, or maybe another movie, 'cos the bit where he's trying to inspire the pilots is more cheesy than patriotic, or at least the part of the speech I can find online :blushing:
I dunno' if that was another part of the movie or something, I've been surfing around and people (americans even) seem to think there was a patriotic speech in there, but I can't find it now.

3. Btw, you aren't saying bostonians should be subtitled too are you? :unsure:

I can't help thinking people in the US would have a better ear for accents out of necessity as they have a lot of them, I'm a bit surprised by what you say, truth be told. (No criticism intended there.)

4. I'm pretty sure a lot of nations have troops based on naval vessels or whatever distinguishes marines from the regular infantry. Up until now I never really thought about Marines as uniquely american (what the word means, not the word in itself).

EDit: 5. "Handle" as in not having a problem with them. It really isn't an effort.

james_bond_rulez
08-05-2005, 07:52 PM
well unlike u guys, i have a life, and i don't spend 8 hours a day arguing in some forum about some stupid americanized movie...the point is...even tho the movie portray america in such a colorful, and dominating, might i add, way, the pilots in the movie showed good morals when they were ordered to destroy the nuclear warheads by disobeying a direct order from their commander. When the AI steal plane went out of control, they want to destroy it to protect mankind. It's all good storyingline, however, the other side of the movie showed just how patronizing americans can be, how powerful they are and struting around the world making fallacious claims that they are protecting world peace when in fact they are really not.

so fuck off when u americans see somebody making the alleged "racists" claims about american, there's always some truth in those claims. And you are just too american to see it.

Busyman
08-05-2005, 11:08 PM
1. I don't have an inferiority complex. I haven't said they were saying or not saying anything about me personally, I was saying it was crappy writing.

I can't have an inferiority complex just because I'm saying a movie was stupid :huh:

It was just made in such a way that the rest of the world was used to show how great the heroes'/america's achievement look better, they didn't just save america, they saved everyone else.

Who otherwise didn't have a place in the plot.

Feck, it didn't hurt me none, it was just pointless as writing scenes go.

I never took it personally or anything, I just thought it was daft.
I gotcha it was better to not show the scene in the desert of the ship crashing. :dry: You are nutty. They do the same shit in...not American ego films but DISASTER FILMS ffs. I bet The Core I had some of the same shit in it (but hell in that we saved the world too but uh didn't we fuck it up :unsure: )....and what's up The Day After Tomorrow. Why did Mexico have to be our savior. I thought we were the saviors...and we were supposed to kiss their ass to be saved. :ermm:

2. WRT the speech, I just edited in this:

I dunno' if that was another part of the movie or something, I've been surfing around and people (americans even) seem to think there was a patriotic speech in there, but I can't find it now.
I think there are 2 speeches in the movie. One after the alien flashed the President's mind at Area 51 (where all-of-a-sudden knew their plans) and once when they go into that final battle where they saved the whole world when they destroyed that one ship. :lol: :lol:

3. Btw, you aren't saying bostonians should be subtitled too are you? :unsure:

I can't help thinking people in the US would have a better ear for accents out of necessity as they have a lot of them, I'm a bit surprised by what you say, truth be told. (No criticism intended there.)
I was joshin' but in any area there may be a group of folk that have an accent that is hard to make out. Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like :blink: .

4. I'm pretty sure a lot of nations have troops based on naval vessels or whatever distinguishes marines from the regular infantry. Up until now I never really thought about Marines as uniquely american (what the word means, not the word in itself).
SnnY...it was the United States Marine Corps. Mmk?

EDit: 5. "Handle" as in not having a problem with them. It really isn't an effort.
It's not an effort.

It's just not as enjoyable, likable, or preferable.

Cheese
08-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like :blink: .

Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. If you heard me speak you would not hear an accent you would just hear the way words are said when you pronounce them properly.

manker
08-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like :blink: .

Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.

Feck knows what they did before it was invented.

Cheese
08-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Films that Hollywood have butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:

The Beach. Whilst I have no real respect for Leonardo Di Craprio's acting talent I'm sure he could have at least affectected a British accent, it wouldn't be the first time they hired an American to play a British role. Instead the film-makers decided to change Alex Garland's anti-hero, Richard, into a Yank. Completely pointless audience pandering, I just wish Alex Garland had had the control that JK Rowling (spit) enjoyed with her creations.

Danny Boyle wanted Ewan McGregor for the role, perfect, but was told by the studio that he would have to use pretty boy LDC instead. Completely pointless change but by no means the worst atrocity committed to this great novel. Do yourself a favour and read the book.

Cheese
08-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.

I think you're getting confused with the fact that they sound like 56k modems when they speak. :almurray:

manker
08-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.

I think you're getting confused with the fact that they sound like 56k modems when they speak. :almurray::lol:

I knew interwebbery was involved.

manker
08-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Films that Hollywood have pointlessly butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:Well, it's not fecking pointless then.

Cheese
08-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Films that Hollywood have pointlessly butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:Well, it's not fecking pointless then.

I'm going to pointlessly butcher/alter you for that.:angry:

Snee
08-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I gotcha it was better to not show the scene in the desert of the ship crashing. :dry: You are nutty. They do the same shit in...not American ego films but DISASTER FILMS ffs. I bet The Core I had some of the same shit in it (but hell in that we saved the world too but uh didn't we fuck it up :unsure: )....and what's up The Day After Tomorrow. Why did Mexico have to be our savior. I thought we were the saviors...and we were supposed to kiss their ass to be saved. :ermm:
The way it worked it was a reaffirmaation of the accomplishment made by the americans, plotwise there was no other point to it. As you say, the whole thing took place in america, they needed something to show it was on a global scale, you say it was to show the disaster, I say it was to show that the protagonists/america saved the world.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this, 'cos we ain't getting anywhere here.

I think there are 2 speeches in the movie. One after the alien flashed the President's mind at Area 51 (where all-of-a-sudden knew their plans) and once when they go into that final battle where they saved the whole world when they destroyed that one ship. :lol: :lol:
Ah, ok. :lol:

Man, does that movie suck.

I was joshin' but in any area there may be a group of folk that have an accent that is hard to make out. Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like :blink: .
He's from scotland, like cheebus says. Those people are special :ermm:

Nah, I think it was the colonial marines (possibly the US Colonial Marines, yes, but I don't think it's the same united states you are thinking of, they are corporate troops). Had a look and Weyland Yutani (I spelled it wrong before) and other corps were already in charge at the time of the first alien.

And as for the word "marines" I think the british formed the first units that bore the name. There are still british Royal Marines.

It's not an effort.

If they are that easy to absorb they shouldn't make any difference to what you get out of a movie, that's how it is for me/us.

Busyman
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Films that Hollywood have butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:

The Beach. Whilst I have no real respect for Leonardo Di Craprio's acting talent I'm sure he could have at least affectected a British accent, it wouldn't be the first time they hired an American to play a British role. Instead the film-makers decided to change Alex Garland's anti-hero, Richard, into a Yank. Completely pointless audience pandering, I just wish Alex Garland had had the control that JK Rowling (spit) enjoyed with her creations.

Danny Boyle wanted Ewan McGregor for the role, perfect, but was told by the studio that he would have to use pretty boy LDC instead. Completely pointless change but by no means the worst atrocity committed to this great novel. Do yourself a favour and read the book.
You gotta remember, many times it has nothing to do with being a Yank per se.
It's who's popular. Hugh Grant was hugely popular with teh ladies until he was caught with teh hooker. Rob Lowe's career took a bump when his "video" came out.

Damn I didn't know the Beach was British. Didn't make too much effort to watch anyway. I don't really care for Leo movies. Basketball Diaries was okay though.

Busyman
08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.

I think you're getting confused with the fact that they sound like 56k modems when they speak. :almurray:
Quality.....both a youz.

Busyman
08-06-2005, 05:07 PM
The way it worked it was a reaffirmaation of the accomplishment made by the americans, plotwise there was no other point to it. As you say, the whole thing took place in america, they needed something to show it was on a global scale, you say it was to show the disaster, I say it was to show that the protagonists/america saved the world.
Man are you daft? The film shows aliens fucking up the whole world in the beginning using landmarks ffs and at the end, shows huge ships crashing around, you guessed it, landmarks...and all you see is "they did that just to show America saving world." :lol: :lol: :lol: Forget that those locations are simply recognizable..I guess New Yorkers should be up in arms 'cause The Day After Tomorrow really just shows New York getting fucked up. But wait how come the rest of the world wasn't shown...like the other countries didn't have problems that need spotlighting. :snooty:

Ah, ok. :lol:

Man, does that movie suck.
Agreed

He's from scotland, like cheebus says. Those people are special :ermm:

Nah, I think it was the colonial marines (possibly the US Colonial Marines, yes, but I don't think it's the same united states you are thinking of, they are corporate troops). Had a look and Weyland Yutani (I spelled it wrong before) and other corps were already in charge at the time of the first alien.

And as for the word "marines" I think the british formed the first units that bore the name. There are still british Royal Marines.
Uh yeah whatever.
They are United States Marines. Sgt. Apone (teh black guy, he died during the first encounter) says it when they wake up on the dropship. He's one of the first one's up and says how good it is to be in the Corps and spouting all this Marine Corps shit.
They were not corporate troops at all or else they would have been trying to bring back eggs. That's why Burke almost got fragged..he was the only company man sent there and had his own agenda. The Marines were sent to help the people; Burke was sent to help the comapny.

In the first alien movie, it was a Weyland Corporation ship and the android was programmed to bring back new life forms if encountered (it seemed like a priority). In the the third alien film you find out that Bishop's likeness was that of Weyland himself (that movie kinda sucked). Don't ask me how/why Weyland was in Alien vs. Predator :blink: .

Thanks for the tidbit about the British Marines.

It's not an effort.

If they are that easy to absorb they shouldn't make any difference to what you get out of a movie, that's how it is for me/us
Well it does make a difference to me. The point of subtitles is to translate the words. I don't prefer it or like it just like I don't like movies in B&W. I like seeing the audio match the mouth movement of the folks on-screen.
If you like it, prefer it, or it simply makes no difference, then great.

I don't. :dry:

Snee
08-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Man are you daft? The film shows aliens fucking up the whole world in the beginning using landmarks ffs and at the end, shows huge ships crashing around, you guessed it, landmarks...and all you see is "they did that just to show America saving world." :lol: :lol: :lol: Forget that those locations are simply recognizable..I guess New Yorkers should be up in arms 'cause The Day After Tomorrow really just shows New York getting fucked up. But wait how come the rest of the world wasn't shown...like the other countries didn't have problems that need spotlighting. :snooty:See, from where I'm reading you are the daft one. Seeing as the story was about the protagonist(s), as stories usually are, everything that happens in there is their story.

And seeing as the people the story was about were (markedly) identified as being american (goes with the entire patriotic theme) americans saved the world, and the events of the story are in there to show the effects of their action and the circumstances that propt them to act.

The particular events you have a problem with (it would appear) are part of a chain of casuality (it's how plots work). The (american) protagonists solve everything, so the rest of the world is saved.

Without that context the scenes hadn't mattered, and nor had they been in there. No matter how nice they looked, a reason to put them in was necessary, and I've given you that reason.

They are there to show the effects of their actions, to show how the heroic americans saved the planet.

Get with the program, ffs.

If you only want to see the surface of things, that's up to you, tho'. But don't pretend it's me that isn't thinking.

Uh yeah whatever.
They are United States Marines. Sgt. Apone (teh black guy, he died during the first encounter) says it when they wake up on the dropship. He says one of first one up and says how good it is to be in the Corps and spouting all this Marine Corps shit.
They were not corporate troops at all or else they would have been trying to bring back eggs. That's why Burke almost got fragged..he was the only company sent there and had his own agenda. The Marine were sent to help the people; he was sent to help the comapny.
I think you are wrong.

See, Weyland-Yutani are the ones trying to bring back eggs, but the colonial marines are a collaboration, as far as I know (from what people say in the movies, from the comics, from the games, and from t'interweb) the United States Marines, in the second Alien movie are employed by an alliance of Corporations/States (it seems one is pretty much the same as the other in the Alien universe) including W-Y (the united states could be the colonies tho'), they are employed to protect the Colonists (as you say) from whatever, whereas the W-Y people are trying to get the aliens instead.

Supposedly there aren't any nations left, as we know them.

In the fourth movie it appears to have shifted, I think they are saying something about W-Y being gone, and I dunno' if the army there are even corporate troops, or if the corporations have merged or something to one big government/state.

(Of course, this may be something that has grown out of the merchandise over the years, I dunno' how much of the background was established at the time of the second movie. But what I wrote above is supposedly the story today.)

WRT subtitles, I just don't think it detracts something from the experience, rather they let you see it the way it was meant to be, without you missing out 'cos you aren't good enough at the original language.

Remakes and such distorts them, especially so in the US as they, as you indicate, make movies "fit" for american audiences. Which removes elements unique to the originating culture and vision.

Busyman
08-06-2005, 06:45 PM
See, from where I'm reading you are the daft one. Seeing as the story was about the protagonist(s), as stories usually are, everything that happens in there is their story.

And seeing as the people the story was about were (markedly) identified as being american (goes with the entire patriotic theme) americans saved the world, and the events of the story are in there to show the effects of their action and the circumstances that propt them to act.

The particular events you have a problem with (it would appear) are part of a chain of casuality (it's how plots work). The (american) protagonists solve everything, so the rest of the world is saved.

Without that context the scenes hadn't mattered, and nor had they been in there. No matter how nice they looked, a reason to put them in was necessary, and I've given you that reason.

They are there to show the effects of their actions, to show how the heroic americans saved the planet.

Get with the program, ffs.

If you only want to see the surface of things, that's up to you, tho'. But don't pretend it's me that isn't thinking.
Didn't the aliens attack earth? How else do you show places on earth? You show places people recognize. A movie like Signs only showed in a news broadcast to give the feel of a global scale. ID4 showed worldly landmarks (including America's ffs). I doubt anyone in the states thought, "Wtf did they show a ship crashing in the desert for?"

Your reason "Is was to show America was everyone's savior."
Mine "It's to show ships going down all over the world." Who the fuck cares that a trailertrashedburntoutnutjob flew a crop duster up the aliens ass and happened to destroy the ship...and he was American.

After he did that we advised the other countries of the ship's weak spot. They still had to blow the ships up ffs. It's not like we sent our forces over to other countries and said. "Stand back we've got this". We kinda had our hands full.

If you haven't noticed filmmakers do this ALL THE TIME in disaster films. They cut to other recogizable places in other countries to give what's happening locally a global scale.

I guess if they eliminated the 2 speeches and just showed the aliens attacking America and only show our country, it would have been a great movie to you. :dry:

I didn't like 'cause of the plot holes...the Windows virus, the President's flash knowledge, and the crop duster blowing up the ship. The filmmakers could easily fixed that shit.

Uh yeah whatever.
They are United States Marines. Sgt. Apone (teh black guy, he died during the first encounter) says it when they wake up on the dropship. He says one of first one up and says how good it is to be in the Corps and spouting all this Marine Corps shit.
They were not corporate troops at all or else they would have been trying to bring back eggs. That's why Burke almost got fragged..he was the only company sent there and had his own agenda. The Marine were sent to help the people; he was sent to help the comapny.

I think you are wrong.

See, Weyland-Yutani are the ones trying to bring back eggs, but the colonial marines are a collaboration, as far as I know (from what people say in the movies, from the comics, from the games, and from t'interweb) the United States Marines, in the second Alien movie are employed by an alliance of Corporations/States (it seems one is pretty much the same as the other in the Alien universe) including W-Y (the united states could be the colonies tho'), they are employed to protect the Colonists (as you say) from whatever, whereas the W-Y people are trying to get the aliens instead.

Supposedly there aren't any nations left, as we know them.

In the fourth movie it appears to have shifted, I think they are saying something about W-Y being gone, and I dunno' if the army there are even corporate troops, or if the corporations have merged or something to one big government/state.

(Of course, this may be something that has grown out of the merchandise over the years, I dunno' how much of the background was established at the time of the second movie. But what I wrote above is supposedly the story today.)
I have the movie dude. Jeez. :dry: You can think I'm wrong or whatever. It doesn't change facts.

I think The United States Marines were put in there to give it the sense of what our soldiers would be like in the future but still be the same in a sense.
(there's probably some nutjob that has problem with that too)

Apone sounded like the sargent from every war movie the US movie was in.

Regarding what the Marines were there for (their mission)...I already said that. :dry:

WRT subtitles, I just don't think it detracts something from the experience, rather they let you see it the way it was meant to be, without you missing out 'cos you aren't good enough at the original language.

Remakes and such distorts them, especially so in the US as they, as you indicate, make movies "fit" for american audiences. Which removes elements unique to the originating culture and vision.
All remakes do that, subtitled or not. Sequels can also.

As far making stuff fit. We have a different culture and the fact is some movies don't work here as some of our movies don't work abroad. Even our comedy is different and may not work elsewhere. However, the basic story might be sound enough to warrant a movie. If a person doesn't like a remake then you probably liked the original better and/or you weren't the target audience for the remake to begin with. Usually the first anything (including books and comics) sticks out as being the best and any redoing of it is downhill.

The second part of Aliens is the best one though. :01:

Snee
08-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Again, our opinions will just have to differ on this.

Yes, they put those initial bits with the rest of the planet being attacked in there as background to, that's not what I'm disagreeing on.

But, the bits where people got the calls were there specifically to show that they were saved by the americans. It would have been entirely doable to leave that out, and still make the movie. And the bits after that were there to show that the solution the protagonists came up with worked.

As I said, the plot is about a specific set of characters, everything revolves around them, whether it's to motivate their actions (showing the scope of the attack- the initial bits) or to show the scope of their heroism/the effects of their actions.

While I'm sure the makers of the film thought it was a lovely effect showing the ships in the desert, plotwise it was to show what the characters, the americans accomplished.

It is an extremely patriotic movie, and it does revolve around a bunch of americans saving the world. that's just how it is, and I'm amazed you can keep arguing about it.

I have the movie dude. Jeez. :dry: You can think I'm wrong or whatever. It doesn't change facts.

I think The United States Marines were put in there to give it the sense of what our soldiers would be like in the future but still be the same in a sense.
(there's probably some nutjob that has problem with that too)

Apone sounded like the sargent from every war movie the US movie was in.

Regarding what the Marines were there for (their mission)...I already said that. :dry:
I've seen the movie quite a few times :huh:

I know they aren't Americans as you know them, and the united states they are working for aren't what you think they are. It's just a union of states, that's all I know.

That's how the story goes.

They would sound like americans as the actors were americans, that doesn't make them american. They certainly don't call themselves american. And for that matter weren't you the one arguing, in another thread about Galactica, that accents doesn't make people american?

Maybe they are called USCMs so you can identify with them and think they are american, I dunno' about what the screenwriter has intended, it's very possible. But that doesn't make it a fact as the story goes.

Instead, as the story actually goes, the world and the colonies are run by corprations, possibly regulated by some ind of authority.

But then again maybe he just thought it sounded nice.

And I know you said why they were there, what I was saying, (apart from saying that you had said what they were there for :huh: ) was that they were employed by an alliance or union of corporations (not bloody america) to do what you said they were supposed to do.

As far making stuff fit. We have a different culture and the fact is some movies don't work here as some of our movies don't work abroad. Even our comedy is different and may not work elsewhere. However, the basic story might be sound enough to warrant a movie. If a person doesn't like a remake then you probably liked the original better and/or you weren't the target audience for the remake to begin with. Usually the first anything (including books and comics) sticks out as being the best and any redoing of it is downhill.
Yeah see, that's what I'm saying.

I prefer my movies unfucked by some exec who thinks he knows what I want, based on my nationality or age group. Stuff shouldn't be made to fit, if it is then you get some bland crap tailor made so every muppet and his mother gets it.

Subtitles are needed, and indeed preferable, to ensure we get to see what the person who wrote the story intended, or at least something more like it, as even original screenplays based on books can suck first time round.

Yeah it's good, very good.

I like all of them tho'.

The first one is really more creepy, as you don't get to see the alien as much. The second is a splatterfest of sorts (good tho'). The third is a bit like the first, but with fancier effects. And the fourth is a little bit of everything, with an extra order of them fancy effects.

As sci-fi goes the Alien series is really a milestone.

Busyman
08-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Again, our opinions will just have to differ on this.

Yes, they put those initial bits with the rest of the planet being attacked in there as background to, that's not what I'm disagreeing on.

But, the bits where people got the calls were there specifically to show that they were saved by the americans. It would have been entirely doable to leave that out, and still make the movie. And the bits after that were there to show that the solution the protagonists came up with worked.

As I said, the plot is about a specific set of characters, everything revolves around them, whether it's to motivate their actions (showing the scope of the attack- the initial bits) or to show the scope of their heroism/the effects of their actions.

While I'm sure the makers of the film thought it was a lovely effect showing the ships in the desert, plotwise it was to show what the characters, the americans accomplished.

It is an extremely patriotic movie, and it does revolve around a bunch of americans saving the world. that's just how it is, and I'm amazed you can keep arguing about it.
Be amazed then. It's an alien war movie. As far as what the American's accomplished, it wasn't just them it was what the world accomplished. The nutjob in the crop duster actually accomplished fucking the ship up. The thing is the fact that you look at it the way that you do when we don't speaks volumes.

I've seen the movie quite a few times :huh:

I know they aren't Americans as you know them, and the united states they are working for aren't what you think they are. It's just a union of states, that's all I know.

That's how the story goes.

They would sound like americans as the actors were americans, that doesn't make them american. They certainly don't call themselves american. And for that matter weren't you the one arguing, in another thread about Galactica, that accents doesn't make people american?

Maybe they are called USCMs so you can identify with them and think they are american, I dunno' about what the screenwriter has intended, it's very possible. But that doesn't make it a fact as the story goes.

Instead, as the story actually goes, the world and the colonies are run by corprations, possibly regulated by some ind of authority.

But then again maybe he just thought it sounded nice.

And I know you said why they were there, what I was saying, (apart from saying that you had said what they were there for :huh: ) was that they were employed by an alliance or union of corporations (not bloody america) to do what you said they were supposed to do.
No shit it ain't the United States like I know it. It's in the fucking future. :ermm:

I never it's America. You brought that up.
I'll just say that part of the American armed forces today is the United States Marine Corps and in the movie Aliens it's The United States Marine Corps. If it makes you feel better that although the character Apone spewed some patriotic stuff about being in the United States Marine Corps, that it's NOT America, so be it. It is the United States. :dry:

Yeah see, that's what I'm saying.

I prefer my movies unfucked by some exec who thinks he knows what I want, based on my nationality or age group. Stuff shouldn't be made to fit, if it is then you get some bland crap tailor made so every muppet and his mother gets it.

Subtitles are needed, and indeed preferable, to ensure we get to see what the person who wrote the story intended, or at least something more like it, as even original screenplays based on books can suck first time round.Guess what? The original will still be around for all to see. Some type exec decides what type of movie gets put out in the first place, whether it's foreign or domestic. If the movie sucks it sucks. In Japanese anime, I definitely like dubbed (but aren't all cartoons :lol: ) better (unless it's badly done. However, there are some that prefer subtitled. I'm guessing they like the sound of Japanese. Whatever floats your boat.

Yeah it's good, very good.

I like all of them tho'.

The first one is really more creepy, as you don't get to see the alien as much. The second is a splatterfest of sorts (good tho'). The third is a bit like the first, but with fancier effects. And the fourth is a little bit of everything, with an extra order of them fancy effects.

As sci-fi goes the Alien series is really a milestone.
Yeah I wasn't too keen on part 3. I normally don't "go with the crowd" on things but that one was a low point for me.

I was also dissappointed with AVP.

I liked the comics ( I collect them) and they could have done a better job with movie.

I hope James Cameron really comes back to do Alien 5. He's one of few directors that I have faith in to make a great movie.

Btw do you think the Returner is better than Aliens?

3RA1N1AC
08-07-2005, 06:22 AM
The first one is really more creepy, as you don't get to see the alien as much. The second is a splatterfest of sorts (good tho').
Alien = horror.
Aliens = action.
Alien 3, 4 & AVP = who gives a crap? :P

Snee
08-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Be amazed then. It's an alien war movie. As far as what the American's accomplished, it wasn't just them it was what the world accomplished. The nutjob in the crop duster actually accomplished fucking the ship up. The thing is the fact that you look at it the way that you do when we don't speaks volumes.
I'm thinking the it's the fact that you don't see it that speaks volumes.

I reckon that movie was (metaphorically) wrapped in the American flag from start to finish, and that it was constructed as some kind of celebration of America. Which made for an inane plot.

But like I said, if you wanna' take it on face value and not think about why things happen, then that's up to you.

No shit it ain't the United States like I know it. It's in the fucking future. :ermm:

I'll just say that part of the American armed forces today is the United States Marine Corps and in the movie Aliens it's The United States Marine Corps. If it makes you feel better that although the character Apone spewed some patriotic stuff about being in the United States Marine Corps, that it's NOT America, so be it. It is the United States. :dry:
Yep.

Bunch of Gung-Ho soldiers, the talk went with what they were supposed to be. Patriotism to a nation or similar entity that doesn't exist is just part of a story, it's not a message or anything. They were really nice cannon fodder too, all things considered.

Guess what? The original will still be around for all to see. Some type exec decides what type of movie gets put out in the first place, whether it's foreign or domestic. If the movie sucks it sucks. In Japanese anime, I definitely like dubbed (but aren't all cartoons :lol: ) better (unless it's badly done. However, there are some that prefer subtitled. I'm guessing they like the sound of Japanese. Whatever floats your boat.
Yeah, the original is still around, but in doing a remake you get lots of people that never see the original, 'cos the networks and whatnot decide that that isn't mainstream enough. Instead a lot of people only get to see to the messed up version.

And that's doing the maker of the original movie a disfavour.

Yeah I wasn't too keen on part 3. I normally don't "go with the crowd" on things but that one was a low point for me.

I liked the comics ( I collect them) and they could have done a better job with movie.

I hope James Cameron really comes back to do Alien 5. He's one of few directors that I have faith in to make a great movie.
Yeah, he does all right. I like the Abyss too.

I didn't even think about AvP. I don't really consider it the same as the others. Also, when the stuff on her arms shifted arms between cuts near the end of the movie, that kinda' annoyed the feck out of me.

ATM, I think I'd say Aliens was better. Don't think either of them would be on my top ten tho'.

Like I said, that list changes depending on my mood, and so forth.

Busyman
08-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm thinking the it's the fact that you don't see it that speaks volumes.

I reckon that movie was (metaphorically) wrapped in the American flag from start to finish, and that it was constructed as some kind of celebration of America. Which made for an inane plot.

But like I said, if you wanna' take it on face value and not think about why things happen, then that's up to you.
I know how it was marketed. Everyone in America knows....
---
It came out on Independence Day (we fought for the independence from the British and won it), the 4th of July.
The movie was dubbed ID4.
It's a war movie but transfer this patriotism in a fight against aliens.
---
...so of course patriotism in it. This inane plot, the focus, though was the fight against aliens, not that America is better than anybody, or America saves the world with a phone call ffs. It's fucking marketing.

Film execs love to transfer some real shit to this time period. I wonder if they'll a movie called The 6-Year War or The Civil War and it be about aliens.
You see other countries weren't the focus in this movie. just a backdrop to show it globally

The TV show CSI, when cutting in from commercial, shows a moving helicopter view cityscape of the Las Vegas Strip...yet I've seen maybe 3 episodes all these years of the team actually on the Strip. In almost all cases they are in the lab or at a crime scene elsewhere. The audience is given this view to give the feeling and reminder that this is Bright Lights, Big City Vegas....and it works.

Yep.

Bunch of Gung-Ho soldiers, the talk went with what they were supposed to be. Patriotism to a nation or similar entity that doesn't exist is just part of a story, it's not a message or anything. They were really nice cannon fodder too, all things considered.Exactly, and that nation is The United States and they are the Marine Corps of The United States and a speech is given to that effect.

Exactly. I agree.

Guess what? The original will still be around for all to see. Some type exec decides what type of movie gets put out in the first place, whether it's foreign or domestic. If the movie sucks it sucks. In Japanese anime, I definitely like dubbed (but aren't all cartoons :lol: ) better (unless it's badly done. However, there are some that prefer subtitled. I'm guessing they like the sound of Japanese. Whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, the original is still around, but in doing a remake you get lots of people that never see the original, 'cos the networks and whatnot decide that that isn't mainstream enough. Instead a lot of people only get to see to the messed up version.

And that's doing the maker of the original movie a disfavour.Really? Many times the writer of the original movie signs off on the remake. Sometimes they even get the same director and I really don't see an original made 5 years-ago being released in the movie theater. Also the networks kinda hafta decide what to show....it's there job. :blink: People can see any version they want. It's available for rental annnnd cable TV. It's how I saw the original of Vanilla Sky which I kinda liked better (probably because it was simply different) but either way they both sucked.

Yeah, he does all right. I like the Abyss too.

I didn't even think about AvP. I don't really consider it the same as the others. Also, when the stuff on her arms shifted arms between cuts near the end of the movie, that kinda' annoyed the feck out of me.

ATM, I think I'd say Aliens was better. Don't think either of them would be on my top ten tho'.

Like I said, that list changes depending on my mood, and so forth.
I can honestly say that Aliens is one of my top ten movies of all time. Imo the Returner doesn't come close although it was refreshing for Japanese movie. It's action and story don't compare and loved the twist at the end of Aliens with the Queen and the redemption (in Ripley's eyes) of the android since the first movie.

Busyman
08-07-2005, 04:06 PM

Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. If you heard me speak you would not hear an accent you would just hear the way words are said when you pronounce them properly.
Not true.

When you say "matter" you actually say "matta".

:ph34r:

Cheese
08-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Not true.

Nope. I pronounce it "matter". Otherwise I'd sound like a Janner.:ermm:

Busyman
08-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Not true.

Oh cool you sound American then.

"Say" even sounds more like "sie".

Cheese
08-07-2005, 06:41 PM

No. I sound middle-class.:snooty:

Busyman
08-07-2005, 07:21 PM

No. I sound middle-class.:snooty:

Interesting, the guy that plays Apollo on Battlestar Galactica is British and does a damn good American accent but Brits usually do our accents..
.....betta thun wie dou thez.

Snee
08-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I know how it was marketed. Everyone in America knows....
---
It came out on Independence Day (we fought for the independence from the British and won it), the 4th of July.
The movie was dubbed ID4.
It's a war movie but transfer this patriotism in a fight against aliens.
---
...so of course patriotism in it. This inane plot, the focus, though was the fight against aliens, not that America is better than anybody, or America saves the world with a phone call ffs. It's fucking marketing.

Film execs love to transfer some real shit to this time period. I wonder if they'll a movie called The 6-Year War or The Civil War and it be about aliens.
You see other countries weren't the focus in this movie. just a backdrop to show it globally
...and they were saved by america, and would have been lost without it.

It's how the story goes. So, as I've been saying, the phonecalls where showing, explicitly, how americans save the world, and like I say, I don't think it was a necessary scene, apart from showing how america saves the world.

So, it was unecessary, and kinda' silly, except as a statement about america coming through.

]Exactly, and that nation is The United States and they are the Marine Corps of The United States and a speech is given to that effect.
However, it's not the same kind of patriotism/america saves the world thing as in ID4.

As we've already established, it ain't america. And it isn't a celebration of american greatness or somesuch.

Just a good movie without any silliness.

Many times the writer of the original movie signs off on the remake. Sometimes they even get the same director and I really don't see an original made 5 years-ago being released in the movie theater. Also the networks kinda hafta decide what to show....it's there job. :blink: People can see any version they want. It's available for rental annnnd cable TV. It's how I saw the original of Vanilla Sky which I kinda liked better (probably because it was simply different) but either way they both sucked.

I dunno' how often the writer or director of the original has a say in new movie, it's my understanding it's the holder of the rights to the movie that signs off on the deal, and that would be the studio that commissioned the script or something, I think.

The problem with it, anyway, is that, in the process of getting the movie through the whole machinery in Hollywood people end up compromising. What starts off as good intentions and a good story ends up as something else thanks to the people holding the money.

Sure, it's a lucky break for some when it comes to earning money, but the story gets lost. And they'd still be earning some money, those five years ago, if some exec somewhere hadn't decided that the movie wasn't suitable for their audience. It really doesn't need to take five years for a movie to be "discovered".

As for the Returner, I like the cult factor of it, the way people talk and act, and the way the story was written.

And some of the special effects, like the planes, are something you hardly ever get to see outside of animated film.

Busyman
08-07-2005, 09:12 PM
...and they were saved by america, and would have been lost without it.

It's how the story goes. So, as I've been saying, the phonecalls where showing, explicitly, how americans save the world, and like I say, I don't think it was a necessary scene, apart from showing how america saves the world.

So, it was unecessary, and kinda' silly, except as a statement about america coming through.
Why was it unnecessary? 'Cause The United States made the phone calls? :huh: I also had it a little wrong. Randy Quaid (quite obviously) flew a jet not a crop duster (I mixed up his job) and The Prez made the one speech in the movie before going into the final battle....

Good morning,

In less than an hour aircraft from here will be joined with others from around the world and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind....
Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today.
We can no longer be consumed by our petty differences anymore.
We will be united in our common interests.
Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July and you will once again be fighting for our freedom..not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from anihilation.
We're fighting for our right to live...to exist.
And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday but as the day when the world declared in one voice we will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight.
We're going to live on. We're going to survive.
Today we celebrate our Independence Day.
In the middle of the movie at Area 51 they figured out how to fuck the alien shields and used morse code to transmit the plans (to Iraq, among other places) for a worldwide airstrike it. Needless to say, they were, as you say delighted. It seemed mainlt because no one had been talking to each other. Near the end, some Africans were shown against the backdrop of a downship and 2 more foreign places.
Go those Americans!!!!! They shot down all the ships in the world.

]Exactly, and that nation is The United States and they are the Marine Corps of The United States and a speech is given to that effect.

However, it's not the same kind of patriotism/america saves the world thing as in ID4.

As we've already established, it ain't america. And it isn't a celebration of american greatness or somesuch.
True, it's just The United States Marine Corps spouting off how great it is to be in the United States Marine Corps.

Just a good movie without any silliness.
I know man. Why can't they make war movies without that patriotism shit.

Many times the writer of the original movie signs off on the remake. Sometimes they even get the same director and I really don't see an original made 5 years-ago being released in the movie theater. Also the networks kinda hafta decide what to show....it's there job. :blink: People can see any version they want. It's available for rental annnnd cable TV. It's how I saw the original of Vanilla Sky which I kinda liked better (probably because it was simply different) but either way they both sucked.

I dunno' how often the writer or director of the original has a say in new movie, it's my understanding it's the holder of the rights to the movie that signs off on the deal, and that would be the studio that commissioned the script or something, I think.

The problem with it, anyway, is that, in the process of getting the movie through the whole machinery in Hollywood people end up compromising. What starts off as good intentions and a good story ends up as something else thanks to the people holding the money.

Sure, it's a lucky break for some when it comes to earning money, but the story gets lost. And they'd still be earning some money, those five years ago, if some exec somewhere hadn't decided that the movie wasn't suitable for their audience. It really doesn't need to take five years for a movie to be "discovered".
No 'cause the movie came out 5 years ago. If people did or didn't watch it then that's happened. Movies don't get made then sit in a can for 5 years. They are "discovered" usually within a year after they are made. It is called a release. Just 'cause you, SnnY, thinks Amelie is great and maybe some of us over don't has nothing to do with discovery. It's marketing and word-of-mouth. WOM is how I saw The Sixth Sense. The movie flew under my radar commercial wise..as did Frailty.

As for the Returner, I like the cult factor of it, the way people talk and act, and the way the story was written.

And some of the special effects, like the planes, are something you hardly ever get to see outside of animated film.
I liked it for same reasons. I don't normally see Japanese flicks with good special effects like that but it wasn't unique when looking at it from a worldly scale of sci-fi movies.

It had plot holes too but hell everyone makes movies with flaws.

Snee
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
For crying out loud, the way the plot is set up, they first hit you with the patriotism, and then they have america save the world, and the rest of the world doesn't have a chance, so it's up to america to save them.

It's how the movie is written, and I don't see how you can argue about that.
The plot says introduces american characters and the patriotic theme, and then america saves the world. Had they avoided the bits where americans contact the rest of the world and saves it, and just kept the bits in where the saucers are downed, I'd have agreed with you on it being more of a background thing.

But, by making it as they did, they did have america save the (helpless) world, and they did say that america was great.

It's a big-ass ego movie of epic proportions.

As for war movies, with patriotism, when it's the patriotism of the characters in the story that's one thing, but having an entire plot geared up as a patriotic statement makes it another.

That's why the patriotism of the characters in Aliens doesn't matter, but why the patriotism of ID4 makes it a bad story.

Different levels.

As for when movies come out, it is quite possible to release foreign flicks straight away, the companies are well aware of good foreign movies, they can't possible avoid to be, as they've got TVs and DVD players just like the rest of us, and probably good connections to tell them what sells abroad. The only problem is that the people in charge aren't willing to put any money into showing them.

Instead they take their time, 'til they can develop the idea- adapt it to an american audience, or until someone has done the developing for them.

They could have shown it straight away, but instead they muck about with remakes, 'cos they don't reckon people are clever enough to get it or something.

Busyman
08-08-2005, 07:16 PM
For crying out loud, the way the plot is set up, they first hit you with the patriotism, and then they have america save the world, and the rest of the world doesn't have a chance, so it's up to america to save them.
First they hit you with patriotism? When? His speech, the name of the movie? What else? The whistlin' dixie during the speech?

It's how the movie is written, and I don't see how you can argue about that.
The plot says introduces american characters and the patriotic theme, and then america saves the world. Had they avoided the bits where americans contact the rest of the world and saves it, and just kept the bits in where the saucers are downed, I'd have agreed with you on it being more of a background thing. But, by making it as they did, they did have america save the (helpless) world, and they did say that america was great.

Oh no doubt there's patriotism. However, you have a problem with it 'cause you're not from here and have an inferiority complex. This is evidenced by the fact that, in the movie, you have a problem with America giving pivotal advice to foreign nations during a time of worldwide crisis.
"God forbid America help do shit." :dry:

As for war movies, with patriotism, when it's the patriotism of the characters in the story that's one thing, but having an entire plot geared up as a patriotic statement makes it another.
Really? I thought the plot was aliens attacking earth.

That's why the patriotism of the characters in Aliens doesn't matter, but why the patriotism of ID4 makes it a bad story.

Different levels.
It is different levels. In Aliens, The United States Marine Corps didn't have to rally a nation or for that matter their nation or world wasn't attacked.

As for when movies come out, it is quite possible to release foreign flicks straight away, the companies are well aware of good foreign movies, they can't possible avoid to be, as they've got TVs and DVD players just like the rest of us, and probably good connections to tell them what sells abroad. The only problem is that the people in charge aren't willing to put any money into showing them.

Instead they take their time, 'til they can develop the idea- adapt it to an american audience, or until someone has done the developing for them.

They could have shown it straight away, but instead they muck about with remakes, 'cos they don't reckon people are clever enough to get it or something.
...or the movie simply sucks and won't make money. :ohmy:

Oh man!!! Don't most American movies come out in other countries..later.

Almost every foreign film that is remade has already come out over here by the time a remake is made soooo WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!! :blink:

Busyman
08-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Oh and SnnY, I forgot to add.....

The United States Marine Corps in the movie Aliens are all from the United States Of America....but I'm sure you knew that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheese
08-19-2005, 08:08 AM
ID4 is a vile, repellent, vomit-worthy orgy of Patriotic Shlock appealing to the lowest common denominator. Anyone who argues otherwise is most likely blinded by the red, white and blue that dominates the film or has a hardon for Jeff Goldblum.

Peerzy
08-19-2005, 08:21 AM
ID4 is a vile, repellent, vomit-worthy orgy of Patriotic Shlock appealing to the lowest common denominator. Anyone who argues otherwise is most likely blinded by the red, white and blue that dominates the film or has a hardon for Jeff Goldblum.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself :01:

Cheese
08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
An entertaining movie through and through would be Aliens but that has patriotism too. Hell it does have the Marines fighting in it.

I didn't really see much needless patriotism in Aliens, certainly not the ID4 cloying variety. But the marines are set up to act all macho in a gung-ho American way so as to make the aliens seem more terrifying in the film when they tear the marines apart with ease.

Ripley, our hero, doesn't give a shit about countries (or corporations which seem to have more control in the future anyhows). She just wants to save lives and kick alien ass.

If I had to produce an American Schlock Meter for both films to compare them it would read like this:

Aliens:http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif

ID4: http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif

Busyman
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM

I didn't really see much needless patriotism in Aliens, certainly not the ID4 cloying variety. But the marines are set up to act all macho in a gung-ho American way so as to make the aliens seem more terrifying in the film when they tear the marines apart with ease.

Ripley, our hero, doesn't give a shit about countries (or corporations which seem to have more control in the future anyhows). She just wants to save lives and kick alien ass.

If I had to produce an American Schlock Meter for both films to compare them it would read like this:

Aliens:http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif

ID4: http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif http://www.utmostchristianwriters.com/poetry-contest/american-flag.gif
I agree and just wish that the American soldiers in the movie would have stopped acting like American soldiers and Apone wouldn't have sprouted off that silliness about it being good to be in the United States Marine Corps.

ID4 could have done without the speech about mankind and had France come with the solution. I mean come on..."God forbid America do feck all".

Gripper
08-21-2005, 08:00 PM
:offtopic: :lol: Saw stealth didn't think much of it,some nice special effects,poor storyline.
Love the way topics wander off track :lol:

Busyman
08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
:offtopic: :lol: Saw stealth didn't think much of it,some nice special effects,poor storyline.
Do you think Stealth (being the shit movie everyone says it is) would have gotten to 100+ posts? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gripper
08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Do you think Stealth (being the shit movie everyone says it is) would have gotten to 100+ posts? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, like I said I love the way these converations develop and wander off at a tangent,my off topic was meant to be a light hearted poke,carry on regardless,never started a topic that sparked so many post,perhaps they could make it a sticky :lol: :lol: :lol:

3RA1N1AC
08-23-2005, 01:19 AM
STEALTH scored 12% on rottentomatoes.com, meaning approx. 1 out of 10 professional critics thought it was good.

this is what populist filmmaking gets you. the studios collect data on what scores well at the box office, what sells on dvd, they consult their marketing experts, they do screenings for test audiences and then re-edit movies based on the audience's reactions... and you end up with movies that play out like a crappy rehash of Top Gun mixed with a crappy non-interactive video game.