PDA

View Full Version : OMFG! PC will not turn off..just restarts?

TFFTn
06-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Just wtf is going on here? When I press the turn off button my comp just restarts.

Before anyone asks I havent pressed the restart button lol :lol: I am pressing the turn off.

To be honest I rarely even turn off my P.C but I thought I would today for an hour but it seems to love me too much.

Whats going on please.

99%
06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
firstly let me compliment you on your av

secondly
a- check in power options that it is set to "shut down"
http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-40696-1119027665.jpg

b-Check in your BIOS for power management settings. Try messing with them and see if you can't get it to power off after a shutdown

c-
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;----- Power computer off after shutdown || Value: (0 = default, 1 = power down)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"PowerdownAfterShutdown"="1"

TFFTn
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
PowerDownAfterShutdown is set to the value of 1, it wasent but now is but hasent made a difference.

Power option was already set to shutdown.

And sorry 99% but im not to clued up on what your talking about with the BIOS power options.

RPerry
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Just wtf is going on here? When I press the turn off button my comp just restarts.

Before anyone asks I havent pressed the restart button lol :lol: I am pressing the turn off.

To be honest I rarely even turn off my P.C but I thought I would today for an hour but it seems to love me too much.

Whats going on please.

You are holding the button in for a few seconds, right ? :unsure:

peat moss
06-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Whats going on please.

You are holding the button in for a few seconds, right ? :unsure:

Thats a soft off, for a bsod . My computer shuts down if I press it once aswell. Just like start , shut down .

What does it say in Power options properties ? You know right click on desktop , screen saver , power , advanced ?

TFFTn
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh yes of course :shifty: shut all the crap down before powering down if im correct.

EDIT - This was a pely to RPerry, I should of quoted him so I wouldent confuse people...sorry.

peat moss
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh yes of course :shifty: shut all the crap down before powering down if im correct.

Read my edit , you can change from power options , mabye someone changed it ?

TFFTn
06-24-2005, 01:17 PM

Read my edit , you can change from power options , mabye someone changed it ?

Ive already replied to 99% if you look above :) Its already set to shutdown.

Lion7718
06-24-2005, 01:24 PM
There is a little XP SP2 bug that some users get...you might want to search MS Database for it......

99%
06-24-2005, 01:26 PM
http://www.blonnet.com/ew/2002/07/10/stories/2002071000110400.htm

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the advanced tab under Startup and Recovery. Click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now this will not solve the problem as such but now you will be able at least to see what has caused the problem, and get some hints, which will lead to some solution.

The general reasons for system instability are problems caused by drivers and software installed or due to incompatible settings in either the BIOS or some firmware you might have installed for some hardware.

As far as your problem is concerned, most probably it is a BIOS, firmware or APCI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) related problem. You should be able to get some hints from the BSOD screen (the blue screen which appears before the shutdown).

You will have to refer to the motherboard manual and set the correct values for the BIOS settings, like the voltage settings, APCI settings etc. You could try loading the default BIOS settings as a starting.

Lion7718
06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I found the LINK (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311806)

tesco
06-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Where exactly does it restart?
As soon as you press the button it's at the POST screen, or do you hear all the logoff sounds then see "Windows is shutting down" blah blah?

Virtualbody1234
06-24-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is but I have seen a similar situation before. I replaced the power supply to solve it.

I bet it would turn off if you unplug it. :shifty:

accat13
06-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is but I have seen a similar situation before. I replaced the power supply to solve it.

I bet it would turn off if you unplug it. :shifty:If it didn't shut off when he unpluged it that would be a big concern lol:D or a miracle hmmm unless there's very large capacitors.:blink: