PDA

View Full Version : Cable-Modem Problem(since the modem was changed)

vegeta
06-26-2005, 04:42 PM
hey guys i was using a cable-modem for three months and this is my ip config for that:
http://img188.echo.cx/img188/3892/ip10of.png

now i changed my plan,and purchased the modem(previous was on rental basis)the previous was a motorala modem and the new one is the same but a brand new piece.

here my problem starts.i get new ip settings(according to mac address setings)

the current ip settings:
http://img188.echo.cx/img188/6603/untitled10yc.png

now i get speed of 20-24kbps according to their rule in a 256k conx(the same conx was before)but when i come to bittorrent dls the speed decreases(i used to get much better speeds like 20k in bittorrents dls)now i get 1k and the light is yellow in bittorando :(

and i contacted my isp and they said that the modem is responding properly and all the settings(ip,dns and other stuff) from there and my pc are OK.so requesting new ip settings will solve the problem????or i should take another step???

sorry for my bad english i tried my best to explain. :)

vegeta
06-26-2005, 04:47 PM
hey i forgot to mention that with the previous ip i was k & d-lined to all the irc servers and now i am not(with the new ip).well i prefer bittorrent more than the irc's

and i told them to change the settengs back to the previous 1 but they say that the ip is related to modem or sumthing?and cant be done :(

lynx
06-26-2005, 06:41 PM
The yellow light means you aren't connectable. This effectively means that you can make outgoing connections but other people can't make connections to you. In that situation you will always get low dl speeds.

I can't see anything wrong with your IP settings. There's a small difference between what you've shown and a whois lookup but it is more likely that they've simply subdivided their network without updating the whois entry. If everything else is ok that's not likely to be the problem.

What's more likely is that on your new plan they are blocking standard ports for bittorrent. If you are using standard ports (anything in the range 6881-6999) you need to change them (in bittornado). In any case, many trackers would reject you for using those ports, so you should change them anyway.

Or maybe it's just the rain. :shifty:

vegeta
06-27-2005, 07:46 AM
rain can be the prob too ;)

but what if i request a new modem??????

lynx
06-27-2005, 08:40 AM
It won't make any difference.

If there was a problem with your hardware or internet settings you wouldn't get any connection at all.

The fact that you can't get incoming connections means that your ports can't be seen from the internet for some reason. However, because you can get outgoing connections it means that the basic setup is ok.

Try a client with a different base (such as BitComet), I have seen situations where some clients are ok and others are not.

vegeta
06-27-2005, 10:09 AM
thx for all the help :)