PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Collector's Edition Or Regular?

orcutt989
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Collector's Edition (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002X7Y2C/qid=1120005343/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_ur_2/104-0012742-5395112?v=glance&s=software&n=507846) $39.99

Regular (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I02Z/qid=1120005343/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/104-0012742-5395112?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846) $39.99

I recieved a 50$ gift-card to Amazon.com and Borders from a friend, and now I am able to actually buy HL2, after all the cracked servers and Emporio updates, etc, I am just ready to actually have the legit game and play whenever I want without shit. I know I will be able to use Garry's Mod with both. But do both come with HL2 Deathmatch and Counter Strike? Is the only difference, that the Collector's Edition has Half Life: Source, with it? My main priority is to have Counter Strike: Source, and HL2 Deathmatch, and Garry's Mod. Which one should I get? Or is there a better set I could get for $50 or less? I didnt see anymore HL2's at Amazon.com. So probably not. And also I was wondering, does Day of Defeat: Source cost extra money?

wingm8
06-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Get the regular one and upgrade to the silver pack so you can get all of the games you mentioned and Dod. I think it's only 10 bucks to upgrade. I'm almost positive you can't upgrade the Collector's edition.

DarthInsinuate
06-29-2005, 12:52 AM
they're both $40, that's nuts, get the collector's edition

DoD Source is going to be a stand alone game i think, so yeah it's going to cost money

S!X
06-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Personally, Id just go with the regular.

cpt_azad
06-29-2005, 01:55 AM
regular dude.

orcutt989
06-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Ok thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Peerzy
06-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Just wondering why everyone has said regular? The Collectors Edition is the Silver pack you buy from Steam (HL2, CSS, and the entire back cataloge of games, all of HL1 and the expansions and everything) you also get DoDS (Yes you do get it, you will be bale to buy it as an add on but if you have Silver or Gold Pack you will get it free.

So why just buy regular (Which is the Bronze STream pack which just has CSS & HL2) when you can get all these other games?

You cannot upgrade at a later date either so if you suddenly decide you want the back catalogue or anything else that the Silver pack gives you would have to pay $40 to buy the whole game again.

The only add on you will be able to buy is DODS which is still going to be $19.99, with Silver you get it free, with Bronze you have to pay for it.

So

Bronze Includes

· Half-Life 2
· Counter-Strike: Source
· Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Silver Includes

· Half-Life 2
· Half-Life: Source
· Day of Defeat: Source (When released)
* Half-Life
* Counter-Strike
* Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
* Counter-Strike: Deleted Scenes
* Day of Defeat
* Team Fortress Classic
* Deathmatch Classic
* Opposing Force
* Ricochet

Italic means its the back catalogue.

Now which one?

EDIT: I was also reading the comments and most of the people who brought it are retards.

The game itself is awesome, no questions asked. The remake of Half Life 1 is cool too, but you can download that for free when you buy the regular version of Half Life 2.

Errrrrrr no you can't :pinch:

Dark Steno
06-29-2005, 11:36 AM
I do know about Bronze, Silver and Gold thingy. But at the amazon.com HL2 Collector's edition is:

* Includes free limited-edition t-shirt, offered in men's size XL only
* Limited edition DVD-ROM version of Half-Life 2
* Exciting action and immersive storytelling with new realism
* Player's presence affects surroundings and behaviors of others
* Counter-Strike: Source; Half-Life: Source; Half-Life 2 prima book

Peerzy
06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah its the special edition DVD with all the extra shit and games on it and the cd with HL1 Source on it.

orcutt989
06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Great so now I dont know which one to get. I thought the collector's edition just had HL2, HL Source and a T shirt. My friend bought the regular version, and he is able to play Garry's Mod, CS:Source and HL2: Deathmatch.

Busyman
06-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Just wondering why everyone has said regular? The Collectors Edition is the Silver pack you buy from Steam (HL2, CSS, and the entire back cataloge of games, all of HL1 and the expansions and everything) you also get DoDS (Yes you do get it, you will be bale to buy it as an add on but if you have Silver or Gold Pack you will get it free.

So why just buy regular (Which is the Bronze STream pack which just has CSS & HL2) when you can get all these other games?

You cannot upgrade at a later date either so if you suddenly decide you want the back catalogue or anything else that the Silver pack gives you would have to pay $40 to buy the whole game again.

The only add on you will be able to buy is DODS which is still going to be $19.99, with Silver you get it free, with Bronze you have to pay for it.

So

Bronze Includes

· Half-Life 2

Silver Includes

· Half-Life 2
* Half-Life
* Counter-Strike
* Day of Defeat
* Team Fortress Classic
* Deathmatch Classic
* Opposing Force
* Ricochet

Now which one?

EDIT: I was also reading the comments and most of the people who brought it are retards.

The game itself is awesome, no questions asked. The remake of Half Life 1 is cool too, but you can download that for free when you buy the regular version of Half Life 2.

Wtf? The Collector's Edition is not the same as the Silver Pack. :huh:

orcutt989
06-29-2005, 03:38 PM

So

Bronze Includes

· Half-Life 2

Silver Includes

· Half-Life 2
* Half-Life
* Counter-Strike
* Day of Defeat
* Team Fortress Classic
* Deathmatch Classic
* Opposing Force
* Ricochet

Now which one?

That is what I thought. The Steam site says the Silver pack is only available through Steam. But whatever the fuck. Haha this thread is going no-where. But it looks like I should get the regular.

Busyman
06-29-2005, 03:41 PM

That is what I thought.
However peerzy is correct that you buy the collector's edition over the regular.

Why buy something for the same price that has less features in it? :blink:

Busyman
06-29-2005, 07:53 PM

That is what I thought. The Steam site says the Silver pack is only available through Steam. But whatever the fuck. Haha this thread is going no-where. But it looks like I should get the regular.
Why man....whhyyyyyy??!!!!

Dark Steno
07-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Buy the collector's edition.

JMK
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
That is what I thought.
However peerzy is correct that you buy the collector's edition over the regular.

Why buy something for the same price that has less features in it? :blink:

exactly.. :unsure:

Mad Cat
07-01-2005, 07:55 PM
You can do everything you can do with the regular AND MUCH MORE with the collectors. Get the collectors, whoever said to get regular is either a complete idiot or a tit that wants you to waste your money.

Peerzy
07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Yup, here you can have this £50 note or a £1 coin, go on which one do you want :lol:

n18
07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Regular Version is $3.11 cheaper, so its obvious you got to get the regular version. Save the 3 bucks for some candy ^_^ preferably a snickers bar....mmm only thing additional ( which you cannot download ) is a t-shirt, which is for fat people too ( unless you are big boned, then i apolagize )

Peerzy
07-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Regular Version is $3.11 cheaper, so its obvious you got to get the regular version. Save the 3 bucks for some candy ^_^ preferably a snickers bar....mmm only thing additional ( which you cannot download ) is a t-shirt, which is for fat people too ( unless you are big boned, then i apolagize )

Collector's Edition (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002X7Y2C/qid=1120005343/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_ur_2/104-0012742-5395112?v=glance&s=software&n=507846) $39.99

Regular (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I02Z/qid=1120005343/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/104-0012742-5395112?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846) $39.99

See, proof American's can't count :rolleyes:

Busyman
07-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Fuck you.

Peerzy
07-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Fuck you.

See, proof American's have very limited vocational basis :rolleyes:

So let me guess orcutt989, you got the standard version :lol:

Busyman
07-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Fuck you.

Fuck you x 5

orcutt989
07-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Fuck you.

No I havent bought anything yet. And what does knowing if $39.99 is the same as $39.99 have to do with counting? Proof the British are poor at identifying a problem.:rolleyes:

Now I dont know what to get, since theres only been about 2 helpful people in this thread, and a few hard-heads to throw the equilibrium.

Peerzy
07-02-2005, 03:16 AM

No I havent bought anything yet. And what does knowing if $39.99 is the same as $39.99 have to do with counting? Proof the British are poor at identifying a problem.:rolleyes:

Now I dont know what to get, since theres only been about 2 helpful people in this thread, and a few hard-heads to throw the equilibrium.

No, the person stated there was a difference in price by about $3 when in fact they are both the same price, identifying he has a counting or math issue.

Also are you fucking retarded? About 4 people have given you decent reasons why to buy the collectors editon and then Linkin Park and the spam patroll have said to buy the other with no explaination or anything, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one is the better buy.

orcutt989
07-02-2005, 03:31 AM

No, the person stated there was a difference in price by about $3 when in fact they are both the same price, identifying he has a counting or math issue.

Also are you fucking retarded? About 4 people have given you decent reasons why to buy the collectors editon and then Linkin Park and the spam patroll have said to buy the other with no explaination or anything, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one is the better buy.

Yes I am fucking retarded. Thank you for finally letting me realize the true adjective to put along with my mental state. Finally, it took someone on an internet forum. And thank you for your help. Good job Peerzy, a double whammy on the helping. But there would be some reason those people would say to buy the regular. Nobody would just say to buy the lesser, I am sure they would have some reason if they didnt just spam the thread.

Peerzy
07-02-2005, 03:36 AM

Yes I am fucking retarded. Thank you for finally letting me realize the true adjective to put along with my mental state. And thank you for your help. Good job Peerzy, a double whammy on the helping. But there would be some reason those people would say to buy the regular. Nobody would just say to buy the lesser, I am sure they would have some reason if they didnt just spam the thread.

Its been about 2-3 days before i even read any of the posts in this thread above the last few but if memory serves me right LP said to buy the standard one, then all his mates decided to get in on the hawt action and be teh sheeps and say exacly what he said 3 or 4 times over, with no explaination.

The Retail has nothing extra and infact has much less than the Collectors edition, thus them reccomending it also proves they are also of lesser brain power, much like yourself :P

n18
07-02-2005, 03:39 PM

See now... click on those links, you'll seee the regular version is $36.88, which is $3.11 less than the collector's edition.And even thought i live in the US, I'm not American...I'm European though ^_^

Peerzy
07-02-2005, 03:45 PM
See now... click on those links, you'll seee the regular version is $36.88, which is $3.11 less than the collector's edition.And even thought i live in the US, I'm not American...I'm European though ^_^

I know, im saying that orcutt989 can't count because its clear there is a small price difference he saw both as $39.99 :thatwasacloseone: :P

n18
07-02-2005, 03:47 PM
oh, okay then, my bad.

ready1
07-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Why does this thread even exist. The collectors edition is half life 2, with some bonuses (eg. book, shirt, back catalouge). Even if for some reason you decided to completely ignore the listed features, surely common sense would dictate that a "collectors edition" may hold some sort of advantage over a non "collectors edition". Factor in that one is more expensive than the other, only by a token amount which is most likely there to show which is the superior product and I don't think Valve are going to penalise you for buying the collectors edition over the normal one.

orcutt989
07-02-2005, 04:54 PM

I know, im saying that orcutt989 can't count because its clear there is a small price difference he saw both as $39.99 :thatwasacloseone: :P

Nice job editing your previous posts.

Busyman
07-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Whatever, it proves your as stupid as the folks you claim are stupid.

No amount of cleaning up can reverse that.

Afronaut
07-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh my. What a threat.

:lol:

My tip:
Get the Collectors edition.
It has more stuff and probably the extras are worth more than 3 bucks.

Peerzy
07-02-2005, 09:11 PM

I havn't edited any of my previous posts, any mod can check the logs and prove that.

Don't be silly, its a well known fact American's can't count, it's like saying the grass is green :P

I recieved a 50$ gift-card to Amazon.com and Borders from a friend, and now I am able to actually buy HL2, after all the cracked servers and Emporio updates, etc, I am just ready to actually have the legit game and play whenever I want without shit. I know I will be able to use Garry's Mod with both. But do both come with HL2 Deathmatch and Counter Strike? Is the only difference, that the Collector's Edition has Half Life: Source, with it? My main priority is to have Counter Strike: Source, and HL2 Deathmatch, and Garry's Mod. Which one should I get? Or is there a better set I could get for $50 or less? I didnt see anymore HL2's at Amazon.com. So probably not. And also I was wondering, does Day of Defeat: Source cost extra money?

Counter Strike, HL2 Deathmatch and Garry's Mod come with/can be played with both the retail & collectors editions, but the collectors edition also have HL1 Source (Which is pritty fun to play)

Get the regular one and upgrade to the silver pack so you can get all of the games you mentioned and Dod. I think it's only 10 bucks to upgrade. I'm almost positive you can't upgrade the Collector's edition.

Last i heard you cannot upgrade any version, so if you do want to play DOD Source might be a good idea to buy the steam version and either spend the voucher on something else or trade it with a friend for cash.

By the way if you only spend $39.99 of the $50 voucher i doubt they will give you $10.01 change in voucher form so best to get as much as you can for your $50.

Why?

regular dude.

Why? See the sheep effect here? One says something the others on the bandwagon.

Busyman
07-03-2005, 06:57 AM

I havn't edited any of my previous posts, any mod can check the logs and prove that.

Don't be silly, its a well known fact American's can't count, it's like saying the grass is green :P
Nor can you give proper advice without bullshit.

The Steam Silver Pack does not = Collector's Edition. :dry:

You were talking more crap and took up a long post to give wrong info.

orcutt989
07-04-2005, 12:49 AM

Counter Strike, HL2 Deathmatch and Garry's Mod come with/can be played with both the retail & collectors editions, but the collectors edition also have HL1 Source (Which is pritty fun to play)

Last i heard you cannot upgrade any version, so if you do want to play DOD Source might be a good idea to buy the steam version and either spend the voucher on something else or trade it with a friend for cash.

By the way if you only spend $39.99 of the $50 voucher i doubt they will give you $10.01 change in voucher form so best to get as much as you can for your $50.

Why?

regular dude.

See Peerzy, you can make a perfectly decent post without insulting someone, or degrading their intellect. Thank you everyone.

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 01:44 AM

Why?

regular dude.

See Peerzy, you can make a perfectly decent post without insulting someone, or degrading their intellect. Thank you everyone.

Oh shit i forgot to insult anyone :ohmy:

So did you get the collectors edition?

Busyman
07-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Don't get it twisted.

People can't keep insulting others when they've proven themselves to be idiots. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 05:02 PM

People can't keep insulting others when they've proven themselves to be idiots. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? Cause the only idiots i see here are Linkin Park & Cpr_azard for wanting him to waste his money, and you who for reason continue to try and flame me :lookaroun

orcutt989
07-05-2005, 03:44 AM
I havent bought anything yet. I just want to have an idea of which one to buy, so it looks like the collector's edition wins.

Busyman
07-05-2005, 03:49 AM

Really? Cause the only idiots i see here are Linkin Park & Cpr_azard for wanting him to waste his money, and you who for reason continue to try and flame me :lookaroun
I stay with teh logic...anything else is bullshit.

I agreed with you on teh collector's doohicky. However, you sit here on your high horse flaming people and you turn out to be dipshit in the same post while feigning being a smart-ass.

.....that's all. :mellow:

Busyman
07-05-2005, 03:51 AM
I havent bought anything yet. I just want to have an idea of which one to buy, so it looks like the collector's edition wins.
No offense but that was the Captain Obvious choice in the first place. :dry:

People usually do impart good advice but a little of your own research can go a long way.

Remember most people are sheep and bandwagon alot.

orcutt989
07-05-2005, 05:08 AM
No offense but that was the Captain Obvious choice in the first place. :dry:

People usually do impart good advice but a little of your own research can go a long way.

Remember most people are sheep and bandwagon alot.

Its just that I was reading that some people were having problems with it...

n18
07-05-2005, 10:41 AM
price of the regualr one dropped to 34.88! smokin hot, even I might get it.

Afronaut
07-06-2005, 09:14 AM

I think I'll wait few months more and get the game even cheaper.

:D

n18
07-06-2005, 03:46 PM

:DI'm upgrading from a 650mhtz PC in 1 week, so i'll need something like this to show me what I've been missing.

orcutt989
07-07-2005, 04:47 PM

:DI'm upgrading from a 650mhtz PC in 1 week, so i'll need something like this to show me what I've been missing.

Haha well I think Half Life 2 will do the trick. I already downloaded it before, and after all the steam updates, I just couldnt keep up, and deathmatch stopped working. And then garry's mod stopped working too.. :( So I will buy it now, so I can play on legit servers and have the game anytime. :)

Peerzy
07-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Same with me, just i nicked a cd key instead of buying the game :lol:

Busyman
07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
$20 for the regular

yesasia (http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003851785/code-w/section-games/)

orcutt989
07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Same with me, just i nicked a cd key instead of buying the game :lol:

Nicked= Stolen? Damn, I wonder where the CD key is located in the box?

Peerzy
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Yes, its on a little sticker on the inside of the box

silent h3ro
07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
I thought someone stole my BF2 key until I found out it was printed on the back of the manual instead of on the back of the cd case.

orcutt989
07-14-2005, 01:35 AM

You bitch! Haha. Weird, the inside of the box? So one would have to like split the box open?

Peerzy
07-14-2005, 09:07 AM

You bitch! Haha. Weird, the inside of the box? So one would have to like split the box open?

No, seing as in the shop the boxes arn't sealed and have no CD/DVD inside them just the manuals and the cd key.

Monkeee
07-14-2005, 10:28 AM
lol if you got no time, just quickly open the box, bring a digital camera and quickly take a clear picture of the cd-key and BOOM free cd-key right there!

orcutt989
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM

No, seing as in the shop the boxes arn't sealed and have no CD/DVD inside them just the manuals and the cd key.

:huh: ?? They dont seal the boxes where you buy your games? Or do you work somewhere, where you can get boxes?

ready1
07-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Stores around here have either empty or fully sealed boxes.

Peerzy
07-14-2005, 03:48 PM

:huh: ?? They dont seal the boxes where you buy your games? Or do you work somewhere, where you can get boxes?

No, can you not read? They have open boxes on the shelves that just have the manuals and Cd keys in. They contain no cd's or dvds. If you want to buy the game you take it to the counter and they put the cd/dvd into your display box that you picked up off the shelve.

Busyman
07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Half Life 2 $10

http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=HALFLIFE2R

orcutt989
07-27-2005, 04:02 PM

No, can you not read? They have open boxes on the shelves that just have the manuals and Cd keys in. They contain no cd's or dvds. If you want to buy the game you take it to the counter and they put the cd/dvd into your display box that you picked up off the shelve.

They dont do that here in 'murka. Our boxes are sealed with little plastic stickers, you just break em, and everything is inside. But where is the CD key located in the HL2 box? Just for educational purposes?

Peerzy
07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Right above the Disc, it's on a little sticker.

n18
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM

They dont do that here in 'murka. Our boxes are sealed with little plastic stickers, you just break em, and everything is inside. But where is the CD key located in the HL2 box? Just for educational purposes?
for educational purposes check two boxes okay? :P

orcutt989
07-27-2005, 11:42 PM

:rolleyes: Hmmmmm. But where is the Cd Key located anywho, just incase I cant find it when I buy it.

n18
07-28-2005, 01:56 AM

:rolleyes: Hmmmmm. But where is the Cd Key located anywho, just incase I cant find it when I buy it.

Right above the Disc, it's on a little sticker.

Peerzy already answered your question.