PDA

View Full Version : Over an hour to update group?

AcousticBoarder
07-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Newsgroups has been working well for me but I have one major gripe.

Am using Newsleecher, and every time I switch group, close then re-open the software I need to wait over one hour for the group to update.

Surely this is not everyone else does, so what am I doing wrong?
As waiting one hour to see what's available every time I use the software is ridiculous, even more so when I change groups and back only to find I need to wait another hour to re-get the article headers.

A late night rant always makes me feel good, but what can be done?

Thanks

Edit Oh and I'm on a 2mb Connection.

Master$hake
07-01-2005, 03:50 AM
are you caching your headers, cause if you are redownloading everysingle time thats well, not right. What i usally do with newsleecher is set it to keep headers for what my server can do for retention wich is 26 days i set that for both headers and grouplists there in the same setting right on top of eachother, and make sure your actually keeping your downloaded header lists. It takes me seconds to switch in between 1.2million post groups so your doing somthing wrong, my advise to you is uninstall newsleecher "make sure you back up your downloads folder or at least move it" and delete entire newsleecher folder from program files wich will delete your settings and then reinstall. Let me know what your settings look like or just do a clean reinstall

riceboi
07-01-2005, 04:40 AM
use nzb files.. its god's gift to newsgroups

nzb = torrent-like files for newsgroups so you dont have to dl large headers

nzb sites:
newzbin.com=the best..2$/month
nzbsrus.com=free..but i still prefer newzbin

lee551
07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
nzbsrus.com=free..but i still prefer newzbin

wow. great site, thanks.

Master$hake
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree newzbin is great, but not everything is on there. That an he is still
having a problem with his settings it should not take that long to pull up stored headers.

Hanz™
07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
I agree newzbin is great, but not everything is on there. That an he is still
having a problem with his settings it should not take that long to pull up stored headers.
nzbzone.com is also good - just make sure you give a small donation.
Oh and thanks for that site riceboi (nzbsrus.com).

Culley
07-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I'm still new to NewsLeecher and was doing the same thing for a while. :P

However, with a little fiddling of the settings, I don't have that problem. Plus, I like to use the sites which have been mentioned... and Binsearch too! :D

Hanz™
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still new to NewsLeecher and was doing the same thing for a while. :P

However, with a little fiddling of the settings, I don't have that problem. Plus, I like to use the sites which have been mentioned... and Binsearch too! :D
I am a bookmark whore - I have about 17 bookmarks just for newsgroup related stuff.
All neatly ordered into layers of folders ie Newsgroups (Free/Pay/Search)...
I kid you not... I should charge for my bookmark list its awesome.