PDA

View Full Version : U.S. tightens financial controls on Syria

peat moss
07-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Hit them in the pocket book , why is there not more of this in the news .

WASHINGTON, June 30 - The Bush administration took a major step on Thursday to increase pressure on the Syrian government, ordering a freeze on any assets in American financial institutions controlled by two senior Syrian intelligence officials who served successively as Syria's de facto rulers in Lebanon during the three-decade occupation that ended in April.

Link :

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/international/middleeast/01syria.html?ex=1277870400&en=677e7a6cc2014cdc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

GepperRankins
07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
is this not classed as personal theft?

Rat Faced
07-01-2005, 02:32 PM
A Treasury Department statement said that the two men had "allegedly engaged in a variety of corrupt activities and were reportedly the beneficiaries of corrupt business deals."

In other words, without any evidence or trial.. the US Government has stolen someones assets.

Im quite in favour of the Courts removing ill gotten gains.. but not for a Government to steal property without going through the courts.

Yet another Executive Order too, bypassing Congress.... You basically voted in an Absolute Monarch, didnt you?

SpatulaGeekGirl
07-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I think it has had limited play because it is simply talking about the assets (if any) of two individuals that are held in US spheres of influence. It is hardly going to worry Syrian financial markets.

Biggles
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Dagnabbit!

It is a while since I did that. :frusty:

Guillaume
07-01-2005, 05:29 PM
I think it has had limited play
Yes, only the belongings of two dubious spooks have been frozen, but what is somewhat worrying is the fact the self-appointed quaestor of this world has decided to forego one its founding principle, i.e. innocent until proven guilty.