PDA

View Full Version : Currently Active Users: 159 (37 members and 122 guests)

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 12:31 AM
isn't it about time you turn off guest viewing for a bit

Afronaut
07-02-2005, 12:39 AM
whats the problem?

peat moss
07-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Ya who cares ,can't get the shoppers with out the window shopping I guess. But yes it is a little annoying.

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 12:46 AM
its almost always 2to1 and most of the time more like 3to1 guest to members

Afronaut
07-02-2005, 12:53 AM
isn't there a way to make it

"We got 3 members and 156 quests staring at teh board"

or somesuch?

edit: yes it shows:
Currently Active Users: 128 (26 members and 102 guests) atm.

Didnt bother look the frontpage...

:P

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Currently Active Users: 154 (22 members and 132 guests)

its bullshit if you ask me, take off guest viewing for a week and see how many people sign up, you can always go back...

rookiecrd1
07-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Take off guests viewing and we won't have any people to become members. The guests are all from google traffic. If guests can't view the pages neither can google bots. Meaning no more pages indexed in google.

tesco
07-02-2005, 02:36 AM
exactly as rookie said.
If guests can't view threads then neither can search engine spiders...there goes all hope of the site getting busy again. :pinch:

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 03:27 AM
its not like google is going to forget all the indexed pages overnight <_<

edit:
Currently Active Users: 135 (24 members and 111 guests)

tesco
07-02-2005, 03:36 AM
its not like google is going to forget all the indexed pages overnight <_<

edit:
Currently Active Users: 135 (24 members and 111 guests)
no, but it would eventually...

honestly, what good would come from hiding pages from guests and google?

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 04:03 AM
maybe more people would sign up

who knows, nothing to loose if you only try it for a few days or a week

edit:

Currently Active Users: 100 (14 members and 86 guests)

Smith
07-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Why dont you limit how much guest can view?

Make it so that they can only see the lounge, polls, funny stuff and the drawing room, and board related stuff and limit "worlds"

peat moss
07-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Why don't we pay more attention to the exiting members ? I miss the posts from some of the senior members. Were not a pay for view forum , we 're a filesharing forum ! I have noticed a lot of new members contibution , some very smart people . Its fun to read this forum again. I love the work the mods have done to the front page with the news section . Its baby steps were taking ,change can be good . But just my opnion.

RealitY
07-02-2005, 06:22 AM
what good would come from hiding pages from guests and google?
None so it will stay as is...

tracydani
07-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Does the forum now charge for new membership :unsure:

Can't think of any other reason to make people join. It should be the quality of the forum that gets you to join.

It bothers me when I am trying to solve a problem and google for an answer only to find I have to join the forum before finding out if the people can actually help.

If I know the forum is useful (by seeing a solution that works) then I join so I can interact in the discussion.

TD

manker
07-02-2005, 09:56 AM
None so it will stay as is...Thanks for that definitive word. Mr newbie mod.

Muchspl has a valid point, what would be the harm in turning guest viewing off occaionally. Perhaps one day a week would be good.

It might increase sign-ups on that day and on the others Google can index to it's heart's content. If it doesn't work, then we've lost nothing.

I don't want to permanently hide the forum from guests and Google but a compromise could yield benefits yet has no drawbacks.

Afronaut
07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
k

Why the forums should be hidden from quests?
So they'd register?

manker
07-02-2005, 10:10 AM
k

Why the forums should be hidden from quests?
So they'd register?I guess.

I think Muchspl may have a slightly different agenda but my own is simply to encourage more people to join.

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 10:18 AM
None so it will stay as is...Thanks for that definitive word. Mr newbie mod.

That's not very nice Mr. Manker

from the x hundred guests daily ~30/40 a day register

manker
07-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks for that definitive word. Mr newbie mod.

We all agree that it is better this way. :dry:No we don't.

I've just stated to the contrary.

Or are you trying to say that member's opinions don't count.

manker
07-02-2005, 10:23 AM
from the x hundred guests daily ~30/40 a day registerI just seen your edit.

That's great but if closing the forum to guests for one day per week pushed that number up to fifty for one day, then it's worth it. If it stays the same or makes less people sign up. Then stop doing it.

I don't see how the forum can lose.

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 10:23 AM
The team members (the once who i've talked with about this) thinks its better how it is now.
We won't change it because a couple of members think its better. :huh:

If we close everything we wont get new signups.

closed forum -> no google hits.

99% of all guests find us by using google

manker
07-02-2005, 10:27 AM
The team members (the once who i've talked with about this) thinks its better how it is now.
We won't change it because a couple of members think its better. :huh:

If we close everything we wont get new signups.

closed forum -> no google hits.

99% of all guests find us by using googleThose same members will still find us through Google, like the guy said - Google doesn't forget indexed links overnight.

FFS, are you even reading what I've written? You'll be stopping guests seeing some things for a short space of time. Not completely closing it down.

What you've written is incorrect in the context of what I'm proposing.

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 10:36 AM
FFS, are you even reading what I've written?

Did you check the time of that post of mine?
It wasnt a reply to that post. it was a reply for post #20

manker
07-02-2005, 10:41 AM
FFS, are you even reading what I've written?

Did you check the time of that post of mine? it wasnt a reply to that post of yours but the one above.Not with you, there. Another of my posts is above that and you do seem to be referring to what I wrote.

Doesn't matter though. You can reply at your leisure or completely ignore what I'm writing. Up to you.

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Doesn't matter though. You can reply at your leisure or completely ignore what I'm writing. Up to you.

I think it's won't improve the forum if we close it for guests once a week :huh:

The people who then sign up won't start posting. Most of them will just sign up to read stuff. So there wont be any difference, we would only get more 'inactive' members. :huh:

Rat Faced
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Why do people want to get rid of guests?

Whats the point of them signing up if they dont post? And they cant post unless they sign up...

imho.. they might as well stay guests if they have no intention of posting and dont wish to see those parts of the board that are closed to guests.

Without guests we may go back to the position we had last year where the board was "On the Market" etc.. at least we get traffic, and they may hit a link for the revenue :P

I also think we're more likely to get active members, if they can see places like the lounge and the Drawing Room...

We've had more than one active member because they got interested in something posted in these places and decided they wanted to contribute... or saw that we weren't just interested in filesharing, but liked a laugh too.

Cant see what the debates about, tbh... but my thoughts are its ok as it is atm ;)

manker
07-02-2005, 10:55 AM

I think it's won't improve the forum if we close it for guests once a week :huh:

The people who then sign up won't start posting. Most of them will just sign up to read stuff. So there wont be any difference, we would only get more 'inactive' members. :huh:At least you're willing to accept the possibility that more people will sign up if it's closed for a short while once a week, nice one :D

I don't know. It seems to me that those extra members are more likely to post when they join that if they didn't join, actually, that's a given 'cos guests can't post.

Even if it only yields two or three more participating members each month, then I think it's worth it. It can't be of any detriment to the forum, which is the main thing.

However, I'm not about to sulk if this idea isn't taken up. All I ask is for well meaning member's suggestions, like this one, to be sensibly entertained and considered.

manker
07-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Why do people want to get rid of guests?

Whats the point of them signing up if they dont post? And they cant post unless they sign up...

imho.. they might as well stay guests if they have no intention of posting and dont wish to see those parts of the board that are closed to guests.

Without guests we may go back to the position we had last year where the board was "On the Market" etc.. at least we get traffic, and they may hit a link for the revenue :P

I also think we're more likely to get active members, if they can see places like the lounge and the Drawing Room...

We've had more than one active member because they got interested in something posted in these places and decided they wanted to contribute... or saw that we weren't just interested in filesharing, but liked a laugh too.

Cant see what the debates about, tbh... but my thoughts are its ok as it is atm ;)You can't?

I'm saying that by closing the forum to guests for a short period of time may slightly increase sign ups.

Then you get the best of both worlds. The guests still see the forum and sign ups increase.

Rat Faced
07-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah...

But the question i'm asking is:

Why do you want more inactive members?

They only post if they're interested in something; and cant post unless they become a member..

I'd rather keep them as guests if they aint gonna post.

It wasnt so long ago that the members were asking for a cleanout of non posting members :blink:

Vargas
07-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Guests rule, Members drool ;)
ain't nothing that pisses me off more then "having to sign up" places, i almost quit visiting here when you got rid of the guest forum and i had to join.
the only way for p2p to win is to educate n00bs on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
plus the fact that guest might be more inclined to click an ad here then the members that don't even see them because of repetition of seeing them.

my 2½¢

manker
07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah...

But the question i'm asking is:

Why do you want more inactive members?

They only post if they're interested in something; and cant post unless they become a member..

I'd rather keep them as guests if they aint gonna post.

It wasnt so long ago that the members were asking for a cleanout of non posting members :blink:
Even if it only yields two or three more participating members each month, then I think it's worth it. It can't be of any detriment to the forum, which is the main thing.

manker
07-02-2005, 11:07 AM
ain't nothing that pisses me off more then "having to sign up" places, i almost quit visiting here when you got rid of the guest forum and i had to join.
the only way for p2p to win is to educate guests on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
plus the fact that guest might be more inclined to click an ad here then the members that don't even see them because of repetition of seeing them.See.

We wouldn't have gotten Vargas to join if he could have lurked forever. A few regular guests may load up FST on the day that it's not viewable to guests and suddenly decide to join and post, they could turn out to be just as valuable a contributor as Vargas, who knows.

M'lud. Consider the case at rest.

Vargas
07-02-2005, 11:11 AM
the only way for p2p to win is to educate guests on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
plus the fact that guest might be more inclined to click an ad here then the members that don't even see them because of repetition of seeing them.See.

We wouldn't have gotten Vargas to join if he could have lurked forever. A few regular guests may load up FST on the day that it's not viewable to guests and suddenly decide to join and post, they could turn out to be just as valuable a contributor as Vargas, who knows.
actually i was a regular "guest" poster before i joined, i almost left when guests couldn't post anymore.

manker
07-02-2005, 11:13 AM
See.

actually i was a regular "guest" poster before i joined, i almost left when guests couldn't post anymore.Damnit!

Same principle, tho' :D

Rat Faced
07-02-2005, 11:16 AM
actually i was a regular "guest" poster before i joined, i almost left when guests couldn't post anymore.Damnit!

So is euthanasia and putting a dog down when its in pain though...

Same principles dont mean squat :P

manker
07-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Damnit!

So is euthanasia and putting a dog down when its in pain though...

Same principles dont mean squat :PIf they don't mean squat, then they must mean something.

Astutely observed, RF.

Rat Faced
07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Ah.. the problems with semantics when talking to you or JP... :rolleyes:

I still cant see your argument though :P

I'd rather one active member signed up than 100 non active.

I believe the number of potential people that will just not look is greater than the number that will sign up and start frantically posting.

The ones that will be active will register if they can see whats there, and may not even hang around if they have to register to look.

They may also remember the name and not bother looking the next time they google their question, in the mistaken belief that they have to register for that site.

And you know what i mean... im too bloody tired to try and tidy the english up :P

Vargas
07-02-2005, 11:28 AM
My main reason for joining:

the only way for p2p to win is to educate n00bs on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.

manker
07-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Ah.. the problems with semantics when talking to you or JP... :rolleyes:

I still cant see your argument though :P

I'd rather one active member signed up than 100 non active.

I believe the number of potential people that will just not look is greater than the number that will sign up and start frantically posting.

The ones that will be active will register if they can see whats there, and may not even hang around if they have to register to look.

They may also remember the name and not bother looking the next time they google their question, in the mistaken belief that they have to register for that site.

And you know what i mean... im too bloody tired to try and tidy the english up :PTch, you highlight semantics when it was you that brought dead dogs to the table. V. poor.

Anyhow, you certainly have a point. It could be that the number of sign-ups will decrease on the days that the forum is closed to guests.

If this is the case, of course, I will renounce this plan as a bad one and presumably the forum will revert to how it is now.

We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea :)

manker
07-02-2005, 11:39 AM
My main reason for joining:

if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.Worth of quoting, that. An honourable sentiment.

You'll be aware tho' that there are those among us who stick around simply for the chat. If this was a dry, technical forum - I doubt I'd have hung around much past my initial query.

Rat Faced
07-02-2005, 11:54 AM
We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea

manker,

we have tried closing to guests and having "guest rooms".

Although i dont know the stats off hand, im sure that the admin have looked at them in deciding which way to go.. especially as the options have all been tried more than once to "test" the stats with google.

Its the admins revenue.. so they must have looked at which way is better closer than i have :rolleyes:

manker
07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea

manker,

we have tried closing to guests and having "guest rooms".

Although i dont know the stats off hand, im sure that the admin have looked at them in deciding which way to go.. especially as the options have all been tried more than once to "test" the stats with google.

Its the admins revenue.. so they must have looked at which way is better closer than i have :rolleyes:Then that information should be made available for us to have a look at. As it stands, it looks like it doesn't exist or Brian would have posted to that effect.

I'm okay at interpreting stats, it would be interesting and would definitely turn conjecture into a definitive.

Vargas
07-02-2005, 12:14 PM
if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.You'll be aware tho' that there are those among us who stick around simply for the chat. If this was a dry, technical forum - I doubt I'd have hung around much past my initial query.yeah i phrased that wrong, i meant: if the only thing i COULD DO was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.

or something like that :w00t:

EDIT: since guest can't play in the arcade, that should be enough to get them to join, there should be a 25 posts required before being able to play in effect, if there isn't

rookiecrd1
07-02-2005, 02:15 PM
This is the way I see it.

Leave the forum opened to all. People who want to post will take 2 minutes to sign up. People who only want to read will stay guests, or maybe sign up for the future. Google will be able to index new pages, and people coming from google will not get an obnoxous (You must register) message.

Close the forum to guests, Guests can not see what is discussed, will get disgusted and then go back to google for a search. I thought the file sharing industry was about sharing with others. Why not allow people to read posts here and learn without signing up?

All in all I think leaving it opened to guests is the best way to go. Personally If I search google for something and see I have to register to read the post, I hit the back button and click a different link. On the other hand, if I can read the post as a guest then I stick around, read other posts, get interested in the topic, and usually register to give my opinions.

Brian

Filliz
07-02-2005, 02:30 PM
What you could do is limit the permissions for guests by not allowing them to download attachements (e.g:nzb's) and not letting them view/click verified hashes.

Not sure if you can do this without a hack but I think that's no more than fair.

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
verifieds are hidden for guests.

NZB's will be disabled for guests when that section becomes more active.

Filliz
07-02-2005, 02:34 PM
verifieds are hidden for guests.

NZB's will be disabled for guests when that section becomes more active.

Oh,I thought they had access to the verifieds as well.
All is good then. :)

manker
07-02-2005, 03:02 PM
This is the way I see it.

Leave the forum opened to all. People who want to post will take 2 minutes to sign up. People who only want to read will stay guests, or maybe sign up for the future. Google will be able to index new pages, and people coming from google will not get an obnoxous (You must register) message.

Close the forum to guests, Guests can not see what is discussed, will get disgusted and then go back to google for a search. I thought the file sharing industry was about sharing with others. Why not allow people to read posts here and learn without signing up?

All in all I think leaving it opened to guests is the best way to go. Personally If I search google for something and see I have to register to read the post, I hit the back button and click a different link. On the other hand, if I can read the post as a guest then I stick around, read other posts, get interested in the topic, and usually register to give my opinions.

BrianYup, we've all presented our anecdotes about what we'd do. Personally I'm of the same opinion. If I see a forum that I have to sign up to in order to see a post, I'll hit back.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to show that the issue isn't black and white and what muchspl proposed (which I'm not going to reiterate) is a good idea that will either work well or have no detriment to the forum.

If sign-ups increase on the day where you have to register to see the on-topic areas, keep it that way. If sign-ups decrease or stay the same, then open that day back up to guests.

Can't lose. At least it seems that way to me ... of course, if it's a hassle then don't try.

muchspl3
07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
no comprise can come so just close this, you have already made up your mind#

edit

Currently Active Users: 144 (30 members and 114 guests)

tesco
07-02-2005, 04:15 PM

edit

I screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
May 25th.

Lost it tho. :(

See, that was because elitetorrents was shut down and we were the third hit on google...
If the forum had been closed to guests then we wouldn't have gotten half as much traffic/signups on that day.

edit: average signups are around 45 per day.
May 25, 2005 65 signups
May 26, 2005 66 signups

Not too bad.

edit2: 9 of those members from those 2 days have stuck around to make more than 10 posts. The average numer of users from other days to stick around for 10 posts is 1 or 2.

manker
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM

edit

i screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
Just about a month and a half ago. :)

See, that was because elitetorrents was shut down and we were the third hit on google...
If the forum had been closed to guests then we wouldn't have gotten half as much traffic/signups on that day.
If a big torrent site gets closed down by the RIAA on coincidently the same day as non-members cannot see some parts of the forum, then obviously the first mod/admin online should open those sections up to guests :rolleyes:

C'mon, have a bit of flexibility in your thinking (not just you, Ross).

tesco
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
i screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
Just about a month and a half ago. :)

If a big torrent site gets closed down by the RIAA on coincidently the same day as non-members cannot see some parts of the forum, then obviously the first mod/admin online should open those sections up to guests :rolleyes:

C'mon, have a bit of flexibility in your thinking (not just you, Ross).
If the forums were closed to guests we wouldn't ahve been that high in teh ranks on google in teh first place.

edit: nvm, i kinda see your point now.
not sure what the point in it would be tho. :blink:

RealitY
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Then that information should be made available for us to have a look at. As it stands, it looks like it doesn't exist or Brian would have posted to that effect.
I wasnt aware that anyone was accountable to you although I guess by your logic it just doesnt exist so we can leave it at that.

We are not the only forum of this type which means if there is a link in Google that is clicked and they arrive at a signup page then most likely they go back and find another and we never had the chance to show them what we have and they are gone that quickly unless they are prone to just signing up at every forum that request them to and most likely posting at none.

Currently we have setup a number of things to get Guests to join

1. You must register to play the Arcade.
2. As a Guest you can see titles of Verifieds within the sub sections but when you click them you get a message you cannot view the content unless you register which obviosly means you cant get the hash as well. This was a "No Content" VB hack that was installed here which continues to allow Google and to crawl the titles and Guests to see them but hides the content, the best of both. This is great for this section as it seems a good number of Google inquires fall in to those sections.
3. The NZB section is viewable to Guest including threads but when a Guests clicks on attachment they also get a message to register which is also a section that has many views for the same reasons that the Verifieds section does. This is also the best of both I think.
4. If a Guest want to tell manker to fk off which is just human nature they are given a message register also.

The fact is also that in a sense Guest take care of server costs while floating around the board and possibly clicking banners and such while most regulars dont for a variety of reasons. Also if its closed Guests they may leave and never have had the intense feeling of meeting manker and being so overwhelmed to tell him to stfu which is the fact of why most Guest register anyway..,.

/me thinks to insert smileys along the way next time so as not to appear so dry perhaps.

colonblow87
07-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Whoa! As Manker lays on the floor of the ring cloudily pondering his next move Reality has taken the fight to a new level! This VERY entertaining!! The way I see it, there's nothing to gain by closing this forum to guests at any time. In essence, this forum is educational in nature. Most people just lurk and in the process get educated. If they have specific questions they have to join to ask those questions. This separates the casual P2P weekend warrior from the hard core, needing to know more, dedicated P2P'r. I am still in the newb stage and it probably shows in my few posts, but this forum is essential in the whole process of opening doors to the uninformed. If it is closed, even for a day, it is not in the best interests of promoting file sharing.

peat moss
07-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Whoa! As Manker lays on the floor of the ring cloudily pondering his next move Reality has taken the fight to a new level! This VERY entertaining!! The way I see it, there's nothing to gain by closing this forum to guests at any time. In essence, this forum is educational in nature. Most people just lurk and in the process get educated. If they have specific questions they have to join to ask those questions. This separates the casual P2P weekend warrior from the hard core, needing to know more, dedicated P2P'r. I am still in the newb stage and it probably shows in my few posts, but this forum is essential in the whole process of opening doors to the uninformed. If it is closed, even for a day, it is not in the best interests of promoting file sharing.

Well said , love your member name by the way. :D

Smith
07-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Like i said before, lock the "Worlds" (hardware, software ect) off from guests, but let them see the rest, so they want to join to get our expert opinions about the subjects.

Or other way around, lock of the lounges and let them only see the worlds.

muchspl3
07-03-2005, 03:44 AM
lmao

locking the lounge might encourage more sign ups if they don't see the lounge

tesco
07-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Like i said before, lock the "Worlds" (hardware, software ect) off from guests, but let them see the rest, so they want to join to get our expert opinions about the subjects.

Or other way around, lock of the lounges and let them only see the worlds.
:frusty:

I think it's great how it is now...

muchspl3
07-03-2005, 09:10 AM
how about something like this

http://www.megatopics.com/index.php?showforum=162

looks like a great way to gain more sign ups

manker
07-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Then that information should be made available for us to have a look at. As it stands, it looks like it doesn't exist or Brian would have posted to that effect.
I wasnt aware that anyone was accountable to you although I guess by your logic it just doesnt exist so we can leave it at that.

We are not the only forum of this type which means if there is a link in Google that is clicked and they arrive at a signup page then most likely they go back and find another and we never had the chance to show them what we have and they are gone that quickly unless they are prone to just signing up at every forum that request them to and most likely posting at none.

Currently we have setup a number of things to get Guests to join

1. You must register to play the Arcade.
2. As a Guest you can see titles of Verifieds within the sub sections but when you click them you get a message you cannot view the content unless you register which obviosly means you cant get the hash as well. This was a "No Content" VB hack that was installed here which continues to allow Google and to crawl the titles and Guests to see them but hides the content, the best of both. This is great for this section as it seems a good number of Google inquires fall in to those sections.
3. The NZB section is viewable to Guest including threads but when a Guests clicks on attachment they also get a message to register which is also a section that has many views for the same reasons that the Verifieds section does. This is also the best of both I think.
4. If a Guest want to tell manker to fk off which is just human nature they are given a message register also.

The fact is also that in a sense Guest take care of server costs while floating around the board and possibly clicking banners and such while most regulars dont for a variety of reasons. Also if its closed Guests they may leave and never have had the intense feeling of meeting manker and being so overwhelmed to tell him to stfu which is the fact of why most Guest register anyway..,.Hi, newbie mod.

Thanks for all that information which is entirely irrelevant. Those things will still be in place and the rest has been posted, more eloquently, by other members of the team.

What I suggested will either be good for the forum or it won't damage the forum. The forum as a whole can't lose.

Hang on, I've already written that - several times. Would you like to contend the point? Thought not.

I really don't expect it to happen, and in truth it doesn't matter because, even at best, it will only pick up a few extra participating members per month. Meh, I can live without 'em.

I joined in the thread because muchspl had a point and you saw fit to dismiss it on behalf of the entire board. I'm good like that, as you're no doubt aware.

me thinks to insert smileys along the way next time so as not to appear so dry perhaps.No really - leave them out, in future posts too. It appears to have a beneficial effect because you've substituted smileys for punctuation and paragraphing :happy:

I actually understood what was being said :ohmy:

A good effort http://www.recordingwebsite.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

{I}{K}{E}
07-03-2005, 10:41 AM
5 teammembers already posted saying they dont like the idea of closing sections once in a while.

Its good that members are trying to help us by posting ideas on how to improve this website. but we just don't think this is an good idea.

manker
07-03-2005, 10:49 AM
5 teammembers already posted saying they dont like the idea of closing sections once in a while.

Its good that members are trying to help us by posting ideas on how to improve this website. but we just don't think this is an good idea.
That's cool with me. I do get arsey sometimes but that doesn't mean I'll strop if I don't get my way or won't express appreciation when things like this are considered in a proper way by you lot.

Thanks, IKE :)

tesco
07-03-2005, 04:02 PM
how about something like this

http://www.megatopics.com/index.php?showforum=162

looks like a great way to gain more sign ups
That's more just forcing them to signup.

That popup disgusted me, i didn't even bother to see what the site offered.

kazaa2002
07-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Hi IKE,
thanks, it takes some time to allow members to give their thoughts
sometimes the ideas are brilliant and sometimes not...but you must
allow the discourse. if the members think that their opinions will always
be flamed...you will lose the heart of this forum. Changes should not
be made till some debate from all sides are heard.
You should be commended.

RealitY
07-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all that information which is entirely irrelevant. Those things will still be in place and the rest has been posted, more eloquently, by other members of the team.

What I suggested will either be good for the forum or it won't damage the forum. The forum as a whole can't lose.
Maye you dont follow as I simply think this is a bad thing and could and would most likely create less signups and just unnecessary considering all the things we already have effectively in place to encourage signups which is why I posted them. It seems maybe you dont follow what were trying to do by creating a nice balance for the board between the two so that the need to close any additional areas of the board for any period of time become entirely unnecessary. I thought you or others might not be aware of the things that are in place which is why it is relevant that I post them and quite obnoxious of you to state it isnt.

I guess my first point which was matter of fact offended you somehow giving you the need to start some sort of petty insulting which you continue which seems unnecessary as you seem to be able to make your point quite well without it.

Hang on, I've already written that - several times. Would you like to contend the point? Thought not.
I have but you only choose to read what you want perhaps because this isnt going your way.

even at best, it will only pick up a few extra participating members per month. Meh, I can live without 'em.
I dont think it will pick up any members and actually think it will lose and with all the changes recently that have been put in place member signups are actually going rather well. The fact is of course if you were right in the assumption that it would pick up a few members then youde be correct in the fact that you wouldnt miss them as there are already enough members here that tell you to STFU all the time.

/me dosent insert any smiley as requested.

I joined in the thread because muchspl had a point and you saw fit to dismiss it on behalf of the entire board. I'm good like that, as you're no doubt aware.
Yes Im sure you are although Im a bit surprised at your need to spit out petty insults. I doubt you know what I do for the board nor do I care nor does it seem you do. If truth be told at one point I wouldve agreed with this point also which is why I have been involved with the Team in creating all the things that are now in place to encouarge signups as I think thats a better option rather than just closing things and force feeding signups which I dont think works anyway. You should also keep in mind that not only all mods in this post have spoke against it but the site owner has also...

Rat Faced
07-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I didnt say i disareed.. as such.

I said i couldnt see the point, and that other things have been tried before and looked at.. (although granted, turning guest rights off one day a week hasn't)..

I do think though that the potential gain (and i'm not convinced there is any), just isn't worth the extra admin time either.

Im all for everyone continuing the debate though... its obvious that some people have strong opinions.

And others, like myself, havent.

peat moss
07-04-2005, 04:15 AM
I think we would have problem if some members like Manker, were "not" so passionate about this forum. At least we have the tools here to voice our opinions . But just my thoughts. :)

RealitY
07-04-2005, 06:20 AM
If we didnt allow members to voice their opinions only mods could post here or perhaps this would have just been closed long ago on other boards. The fact that some may not agree is hardly a reason to start name calling though. As for being passionite some of us including myself know that feeling all to well with the hours we put in here simply because we feel just that way...

manker
07-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Maye you dont follow as I simply think this is a bad thing and could and would most likely create less signups and just unnecessary considering all the things we already have effectively in place to encourage signups which is why I posted them. It seems maybe you dont follow what were trying to do by creating a nice balance for the board between the two so that the need to close any additional areas of the board for any period of time become entirely unnecessary. I thought you or others might not be aware of the things that are in place which is why it is relevant that I post them and quite obnoxious of you to state it isnt.

I guess my first point which was matter of fact offended you somehow giving you the need to start some sort of petty insulting which you continue which seems unnecessary as you seem to be able to make your point quite well without it.Indeed. I sometimes take umbrage when decisions are made on behalf of many people by someone who has no right to do so. This time particularly irked me because it was a flat refusal with no reasoning made by a bloke (I think you are) who'd recently attained mod status to help with the Newsgroup section of the board.

I felt you needed to explain your position. Which was actually done on your behalf, quite reasonably, by different members of the team.

I have but you only choose to read what you want perhaps because this isnt going your way. No, if you put my comment back into context, you haven't touched upon it. As to it not going my way - has your position been explained or not.

even at best, it will only pick up a few extra participating members per month. Meh, I can live without 'em.

I dont think it will pick up any members and actually think it will lose and with all the changes recently that have been put in place member signups are actually going rather well. The fact is of course if you were right in the assumption that it would pick up a few members then youde be correct in the fact that you wouldnt miss them as there are already enough members here that tell you to STFU all the time.

/me dosent insert any smiley as requested.Yup, I've said that opinion, expressed by RF I think, has merit and should be considered. Well done for posting it again. It makes it look like you're actually contributing to the thread and not just bashing the keyboard in a random manner.

Yes Im sure you are although Im a bit surprised at your need to spit out petty insults. I doubt you know what I do for the board nor do I care nor does it seem you do. If truth be told at one point I wouldve agreed with this point also which is why I have been involved with the Team in creating all the things that are now in place to encouarge signups as I think thats a better option rather than just closing things and force feeding signups which I dont think works anyway. You should also keep in mind that not only all mods in this post have spoke against it but the site owner has also...So, you've called me obnoxious, said that people tell me to shut the fuck up on a regular basis and implied that my reading comprehension diminishes when threads aren't going my way. Yet I'm the petty one.

I can't disagree with the obnoxious comment. I can, however, tell you that this thread has gone fairly well for me, sure my proposal didn't get taken up. In fairness it wasn't my proposal - it was muchspl's but I did take up the mantle in order that instead of getting a flat refusal from some minor team member, it was discussed properly in team chat.

This has happened and I've posted my appreciation twice previously in this thread to the team as a whole.

As I say, I can live without the new members that it might have brought. I'm happy that it was discussed and rejected by the team. What I refuse to accept, now and in the future, is one team member getting a bit big for his boots and making statements on behalf of everyone.

Consider your feet shrunk.

manker
07-04-2005, 09:06 AM
I didnt say i disareed.. as such.

I said i couldnt see the point, and that other things have been tried before and looked at.. (although granted, turning guest rights off one day a week hasn't)..

I do think though that the potential gain (and i'm not convinced there is any), just isn't worth the extra admin time either.

Im all for everyone continuing the debate though... its obvious that some people have strong opinions.

And others, like myself, havent.
True enough. The proposal itself has little merit, altho' it did have some and could have increased the participating member base a little. I really don't have a strong opinion about it either, truth be told.

I was mainly concerned about the team's decision making process. You'll know all about the devil's advocate position from you occasionally taking it up in t'drawing room, RF ;)

RealitY
07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Well it seems youve made your point and I have as well. I really dont have anything to add to this as I dont see any point continuing this with you. I think Ive well made my point as to the time and energy that has been put in here to have the best of both and not need to lock additional sections of the board which as Ive stated I think would be unproductive. The topic starter I think as of yesterday had requesteed this to be closed. The fact of the matter is and still remains that you chose to throw the first insult...

tesco
07-04-2005, 07:27 PM
some minor team member Reality is NOT a minor Team member. He has spent a LOT of time working to improve this forum, to increase google hits and to draw new members over the past couple months (all the time i've been able to see what's going on).

Since working on this we've seeing an increase in registrations and guests viewing the forum. It's a good balance of opened/closed sections on the board in my opinion and I don't really see any reason to change what we've spent to much time tweaking.

EDIT: Also for your info RealitY has Admin and FTP on the site as well...

Afronaut
07-04-2005, 07:32 PM
some minor team member Reality is NOT a minor Team member. He has spent a LOT of time working to improve this forum, to increase google hits and to draw new members over the past couple months.

I agree on this.

I'd say Reality has outdone what I have done to FST as a
moderator.

:)

manker
07-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Okay then.

RealitY > Cornerpocket.

===

Seriously tho' - any statement coming from a team member means little if it's not backed up by the weight of reasoning behind a team decision and, as such, it is minor.

However, I can see the ambiguity in my prose that may have caused confusion - it might have looked like a slight on RealitY's moderatorship.

Perish the thought :D

brotherdoobie
07-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I would also like to echo the sentiment,that Reality has done excellent work as a mod on our board (besides the deleting of post... mods censure far to often in my opinion. However, our forum is more lenient, then most.) Reality should be commended on the work he had done,regarding NZB files (I see you looked into them..;) ) and NewsGroups in general. Not bad...for a respective newcomer to Usenet.

I however, took umbrage to this reply by Reality...as manker did.

None so it will stay as is...

It reeks of contemptuousness and pomposity.There are members
here who like to think for ourselves. Everyone likes to feel respected
and when were not...we react (sometimes with a little to much bile...)

So, please try and remember respect is a two way street...the emphasis
is on the mods (position of authority...and all) and, not on the poster.
Aloofness is not a quality desired in a mod.

Peace bd

Guillaume
07-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Okay then.

RealitY > Cornerpocket.

I thought that Afronaut = Guitar Slinger.
I'm confused now.

And no this isn't off-topic.

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
some minor team member Reality is NOT a minor Team member. He has spent a LOT of time working to improve this forum, to increase google hits and to draw new members over the past couple months (all the time i've been able to see what's going on).

Since working on this we've seeing an increase in registrations and guests viewing the forum. It's a good balance of opened/closed sections on the board in my opinion and I don't really see any reason to change what we've spent to much time tweaking.

Couldn't he have done that notbeing a Mod, just wondering cause his section was suposed to be Newsgroups and as far as i know the only change has been an NZB posted designed by Rossco.

Drawing new members include seeding stuff with our URl name and seeding stuff we have done on sites, last time i checked you don't need to be a mod to do that.

Not trying to be harsh towards him just asking what he's done that he couldn't have done if he was just a normal member who had the ftp axx and the ability to seed,.

{I}{K}{E}
07-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Okay then.

RealitY > Cornerpocket.

I'm confused now.

Afronaut is GS :P

Reality isnt CP

:huh:

{I}{K}{E}
07-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Not trying to be harsh towards him just asking what he's done that he couldn't have done if he was just a normal member who had the ftp axx and the ability to seed,.

He wasnt only added to the team because we needed someone for the NG section

We dont need to post everything he has done so far. :huh: believe me he does a lot.

tesco
07-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Reality is NOT a minor Team member. He has spent a LOT of time working to improve this forum, to increase google hits and to draw new members over the past couple months (all the time i've been able to see what's going on).

Couldn't he have done that notbeing a Mod, just wondering cause his section was suposed to be Newsgroups and as far as i know the only change has been an NZB posted designed by Rossco.

Drawing new members include seeding stuff with our URl name and seeding stuff we have done on sites, last time i checked you don't need to be a mod to do that.

Umm, name one member who can access the admincp, name one member who has access to the ftp.
How could reality do what he's done if he was a member. :blink:
I don't understand what you're getting at...

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 09:56 PM
But has he done alot using his moderator powers or because he was only one who knew how to make a torrent :unsure:

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Umm, name one member who can access the admincp, name one member who has access to the ftp.
How could reality do what he's done if he was a member. :blink:
I don't understand what you're getting at...

No, what im saying is he hasn;t done any moderating, Brian could have just given him the FTP details as a member.

I think the reason people see him as a minor team member was because he was appointed on a tempary basis to get the newsgroup section setup, 6 months down the line the only thing thats changed is you have coded an NZB poster.

RPerry
07-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm confused now.

Reality isnt CP

it was Reality > CP, which I think is a hit against CornerPockets absences. CornerPocket has had some personal issues to take care of by the way, and does drop a line in team chat from time to time, so please excuse his not being here right now :cool:

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Reality isnt CP

it was Reality > CP, which I think is a hit against CornerPockets absences. CornerPocket has had some personal issues to take care of by the way, and does drop a line in team chat from time to time, so please excuse his not being here right now :cool:

what about Entity101, havn't seen him in a while :rolleyes:

{I}{K}{E}
07-04-2005, 10:02 PM
But has he done alot using his moderator powers or because he was only one who knew how to make a torrent :unsure:

Come on. we dont need to discuss here who does what and did what in the past.

he has done a lot using his mod powers and admin acces to improve this website.

and btw. Entity is online daily.

now please stop asking these stupid questions Peerzy

Guillaume
07-04-2005, 10:06 PM
hit against CornerPockets absences

I think manrod has his mods mixed up.
Those who were there when CP left know perfectly why he left and would certainly never dare to mock him.

manker
07-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Okay then.

RealitY > Cornerpocket.

I'm confused now.

Reality isnt CP

:huh:I know.

Just taking teh piss. I looked at the mod list this morning, trying to uncover just who these strange orange people were and noticed that Cornerpocket was a mod.

He's made like 25 posts in the last year. RealitY's definitely done more than that dude - so I thought I'd be a bit magnanimous, like.

manker
07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Ah, I see.

I wasn't aware of any mitigating circumstances, so apologies.

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 10:41 PM

He's just to scared to post :blink:

RPerry
07-05-2005, 12:22 AM

He frequently posts in the codecs section :rolleyes:

edit: well, maybe not as frequently as I thought..... :blushing:

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 12:55 AM

Peerzy's point > RPerry's memory

:01:

brotherdoobie
07-05-2005, 02:28 AM

Would you like a cookie lad? :)

Peace bd

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 02:46 AM

Peace bd

How about a joint :unsure:

brotherdoobie
07-05-2005, 03:28 AM

Peace bd

How about a joint :unsure:

Then a cookie...right? :lol:

Peace bd

RealitY
07-05-2005, 05:56 AM
This is so far off topic that Ide like a cookie now also. As for my original post that started all this I was quoting rossco and not a member intentionally and the fact is it may have appeared a bit harsh but managed to stir 10 pages of *call it what you will* if nothing else. Ive always found the no smiley approach rather dry and to my liking.

Ive just noticed though that its a bit ironic though seeing all the frustration that manker had taken to it though as it reminded me of just a short time ago of having the same frustrations toward a former of the board. However even at issues I would think to be much more intense I dont remember pitching name calling about although if you dig back I may be wrong.

The point is I hardly intend to be as such nor am I and on my last public debate even though I may have been at odds with Cheese and SnnY I actually took at lot of what was brought up into what became the final product and what was represented on the same topic in Team chat also.

@manker I cant imagine you took any of the pokes I had at you to seriously as its obviously a running joke around here to tell manker to STFU so I thought I was well over due to jump and see what all the hype was about and found it entertaining.

@Peerzy I hardly have to justify to you what I do on the board while in Admin panel or on the FTP or what I do as a Mod for that matter although I will tell you I spend hours here on many days working on things for the board. Im not sure who would pass your standards anyway at that rate. Maybe you should consider not being such a critic of nothing and could take some additional time to work on your more well known talent of your n00b bashing skills since you can barely do that right these days...

/me yet again manages the no use policy of smileys

kantryl
07-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Probably there would be more people coming and signing up in FST and posting, if there would be less bashing at posters. Guess may not want to register when they read some of the "fireworks" that is expressed in some of the messages throughout some threads. :lookaroun

Afronaut
07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Probably there would be more people coming and signing up in FST and posting, if there would be less bashing at posters. Guess may not want to register when they read some of the "fireworks" that is expressed in some of the messages throughout some threads. :lookaroun

Good point. Irrelevant around here im afraid. Folks are on each others hair all the time,
I guess its the heat atm.
:P

Some folks consider the flaming arguments as teh fun part of this.
(bashing new ppl is concidered extrememly rude, imo)
I think its just a matter of learning to ignore the unimportant bits.
After sometime you'll learn who posts BS and who has actually something to say, so to speak.
:D

A couple of tips:

dont take everything to heart/seriously, its teh internjet

do not believe everything you read, there's trolls (http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm)/troll2 (http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp) about

Also, Thirty - Eight Ways to Win an Argument
from Schopenhauer's "The Art of Controversy" (http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm)
could be usefull, if arguing is teh shitz for you.

Hope that'll help, ask if anything.
Someone will help you about.

:)

sArA
07-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Afronaut just about hit it on the head...please don't take this place too seriously, even the most ahem :rolleyes: ...agitated of our regulars are teddy bears under the surface. :wub:

Generally this is a fun place, with helpful people. We are easy going and like an occasional bit of fisticuffs :lol: but if you look at the post counts and join dates of those most deeply involved in these spats...most have been here for a long time :)

Longevity says it all :)

Welcome to FST in all its diversity.

peat moss
07-12-2005, 12:32 AM

All you have to do as a new member is check peoples posts (click on their user name ) , you can get a good idea where people are coming from. Use the PM option aswell if you have a problem , doubt too many members would turn you down looking for advice.

Edit : Its a lot better now than when I first joined , no did you google that first nOOb ? A lot of the fireworks is old members having a difference of opinon ! :lol:

kantryl
07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks all, for the advise, I had it coming. :lol: I didn't mean to sound so serious. I have also laughed alot in FST for the past year. That's why I keep signing in, I feel at home. ;)

tesco
07-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Thanks all, for the advise, I had it coming. :lol: I didn't mean to sound so serious. I have also laughed alot in FST for the past year. That's why I keep signing in, I feel at home. ;)
It's why we all keep signing in. :D

tracydani
07-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Some of us are still waiting for the answer to our question :unsure:

:P :lol:

TD

Barbarossa
07-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Some of us are still waiting for the answer to our question :unsure:

:P :lol:

TD

Some of us are still trying to think of a question... :cry:

ziggyjuarez
07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
It's why we all keep signing in. :D
not me <_<