PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of/tried sandboxie?

tracydani
07-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I ran across this a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to play with it. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience before I try it out.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Supposed to be able to install/dl/play files and programs inside a "sandbox" without worring about viruses and without leaving traces of browsing habits etc. You delete it from the sandbox and it is as if it was never there to begin with.

TD

dodgy368
07-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Cool looking program, will have to give that a try, wonder if you can scan stuff for spyware and viruses while they're in the sandbox?

tesco
07-03-2005, 03:31 AM
Cool looking program, will have to give that a try, wonder if you can scan stuff for spyware and viruses while they're in the sandbox?
I think that's the point of it... :)

Sounds interesting, gonna give it a try. :D

tracydani
07-03-2005, 06:50 PM
If I have time, I may play with it tomorrow. Let me know how it works for you if you tryt it :)

My problem is I don't know enough about computers/software to prove to myself it does what it says... Or whatever :unsure: :P

TD

tracydani
07-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Well I have tried it with Grabit. Doesn't work.

I can run Grabit from within the sandbox.

I can dl an NZB from my browser from within the sandbox.

I cannot open the nzb with Grabit from within the sandbox. The folder the nzb is in is secure, and Grabit cannot access it.

I cannot start Grabit with the nzb from within the sandbox ( or rather, I can but it opens another instance of Grabit not within the sandbox).

Too bad, I kinda had visions of getting the nzb and dl'ing it with Grabit. Then doing all converting/burning etc. all from within the sandbox and emptying it when I have a finished product :P

Oh well, maybe in a future release. Seems to work for the browser though :)

Let me know your experiences with it. Maybe you can figure out how to work it better.

TD