PDA

View Full Version : re-pasting my cpu

willhub
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i have a 3.0ghz pentium 4 and i have wasted loads of silicone paste so far becouse i just cant get a thin and even layer of thermal paste on the cpu, is there any specific way i should do it?
what should i use to get a thin and even layer?

lynx
07-04-2005, 01:06 PM
An old credit card, or a razor blade dragged backwards. The layer doesn't have to be perfect, when you apply the heatsink it will spread the paste to make a very fine layer and any excess will be squeezed out.

volskid2002
07-04-2005, 03:24 PM
you could also use a thermal pad instead of paste

micolithe
07-04-2005, 04:49 PM
You don't have to spread it around to get an even layer, the heatsink will do that for you when you put it on top of the CPU. Just do like it says on the arctic silver webstie.

willhub
07-04-2005, 05:58 PM
apparently thermal pads are a pile of crap, is this true?
also i have managed to apply some paste now, and i get a temperature reading of 50 degrees when idle but when playing games like ut2k4 it goes up to 64 degrees, is this ok for a pentium 4 3.0ghz prescott (1mb catch)
i have also strapped a fan ontop of the stock intel fan/heatsink, and its brought temperatures down to 64 degrres on game like i said above, withought it the temperatures was 77-80 degrees on game.

i dont understand why my computer shutd down all the time like when i am on game mostly, it cant be temperature becouse at 64 degrees it shut down and its never done that before, its usually the same time inbetween starting the game and computer shutting down that it happens, i am windering weather it could be the power supply.
in speed fan these are the reading i am getting

i am wondering if its my motherboard that just donw like this processor and it may be incompatible or somthing, but it really anoys me when it shuts down, but i know it defenitly aint temperature.

is 50 degreed ok for a pentium 4 3.0ghz when my computer is idle?

abu_has_the_power
07-04-2005, 06:08 PM
another option would be to squeeze a tiny drop in the center of the cpu and let the heatsink spread it out as it's afixed onto the cpu

willhub
07-04-2005, 06:12 PM
ah, not now, i aint taking it off now, took me half an hour just to tie wrap another bloody fan on top of it, anyway, do you think those power reading are bad, do you think it points to a power supply why my ocmputer shutd down?

Virtualbody1234
07-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Those temps are quite high and is most likely the reason for the shutdown.

The next qusetion is how well is your case ventilated? There's no use trying to cool down the heatsink with hot air.

accat13
07-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Those temps are quite high and is most likely the reason for the shutdown.

The next qusetion is how well is your case ventilated? There's no use trying to cool down the heat sink with hot air.I agree can you tell us what kind of case you have. My 520 Prescott idles at 31c and under load it has hit around 45c.My case has good ventillation.I'm using the stock Intel cpu fan(with a pad) and 3 80m intakes in the front and 1 80m exhaust in the rear (not including the power supply).One of those 80m is a screaming delta in the front. I leave it turned down and only crank it when under load :)..I've taken two 5.25 optical drive bays and modded them for the third 80m intake. The prescotts are notorious for heat. So good ventilation is a must....PS hope you have practiced good cable management...

Duffman
07-05-2005, 05:09 AM
How many fans do you have in your case, it could just be a simple matter of switching them around, makeing an exhaust one or two if you don't already have one...

willhub
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59321

thats my case, you see those 2 fans on the side, there sucking in, the front one is sucking in too :P, the one that was on the back of the case is now errm on the cpu fan/heatsink, cools it down by like an extra 10 degrees, i am thinking of sticking another fan on the back tho, but my computer is loud enougth as it is with 4 80mm fans.

also, when i have the case open the temperature does not seem to get any better.

Virtualbody1234
07-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok. What's the ambient temperature?

willhub
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
what case temperature or cpu?

what exatly do you mean by ambient?
i aint trying to sound like a total retard by asking what you mean by ambient, but its not a word i would of used with somthing to do with temperature, its cos i live in the uk :ermm:, do you mean the avarage temperature near the cpu cooler, or the conditions of the case?

Virtualbody1234
07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Ambient = Surrounding.

So room temperature then.

willhub
07-06-2005, 08:52 PM
yea i supose so, so whats wit the super high temperature on the cpu, is it just coz of the make, and its a bit toasty?

Virtualbody1234
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Umm. I think we have a language barrier.

lynx
07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Let's take a guess, the gap between the fins on the heatsink are clogged with dust?