PDA

View Full Version : What comes after drive Z:?

yonki
07-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Usually you have drive C or a few more if you got more than one HD or made partitions. What happens when i have reached drive Z: and want to add more?Can i do that or is it the limit for windows?If it can be done, how? Already googled but found nothing.

{I}{K}{E}
07-04-2005, 05:00 PM
why do you want 24 partitions :huh:

vivitron 15
07-04-2005, 05:05 PM
why do you want 24 partitions :huh:

well there's 4 * 300GB disks, split up into manageable chunks...

movies
mp3s - me
mp3s - gf
apps installed
apps rars
anime
movies - to be converted
movies - to be burnt
then there's "my documents"

of course a floppy, cd, dvd

and then theres a series of pen drives, digital camera, mobile phone, iriver

thats 16 off the top of my head (well 17, cos there would be no b:)

so i guess its not a stupid number to want!

im well interested in this...dunno why, but im intrigued

Afronaut
07-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Hehe.
Im interested too but not enought to partition my HD's to find out.

:D

Lazy git.

I guess windows start using 2 numbers/letters etc combo.

Hanz™
07-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I bet knowing XP you get a blue screen.

yonki
07-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Its not for me, its for a server that stores high res images. There are other ways to add the HDs, but this is the first option, and im surprised that i can only have 20 something drives with windows.

BTW i use Linux, so that wouldnt be a problem ;)

Virtualbody1234
07-04-2005, 05:41 PM
With the NTFS Volume Mount Points feature, you can surpass the 26-drive-letter limitation.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=280297

lynx
07-04-2005, 05:43 PM
You can only have 26 drive letters (A to Z), and that includes your floppys and optical drives.

You can have 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition. An extended partition can be split into logical drives (no limit). But since you can only have 26 drive letters you would have to use NTFS mount points for any drives which could not be assigned letters, and since they then appear as folders you may as well just have folders in the first place.

Darth Sushi
07-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Usually you have drive C or a few more if you got more than one HD or made partitions. What happens when i have reached drive Z: and want to add more?Can i do that or is it the limit for windows?If it can be done, how? Already googled but found nothing.
Drive BC! :P or is it AD? :wacko:

yonki
07-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Ok thanx, adding them as folders will be the best option. Ill give Bill a call to see if he fixes that for the next SP so i can have drive AB:

tesco
07-04-2005, 06:52 PM
You can only have 26 drive letters (A to Z), and that includes your floppys and optical drives.

You can have 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition. An extended partition can be split into logical drives (no limit). But since you can only have 26 drive letters you would have to use NTFS mount points for any drives which could not be assigned letters, and since they then appear as folders you may as well just have folders in the first place.
What if it's FAT32?
It just won't assign a drive letter i guess?

RealitY
07-04-2005, 07:02 PM
I was just thinking about this recently as I currently have all up to W in use so Im rather close to that point also...