PDA

View Full Version : meh. ZA pro & SP2....

fkdup74
07-04-2005, 09:50 PM
fresh off a reformat,
decided to give Zone Alarm Pro & SP2 a shot.......
(I'm normally a SP1 & Sygate Pro kinda guy) :P

now I can't leave my pc idle for too long or else I have to reboot to reconnect to the net
(repairing the connection may do the trick, but a reboot is about just as fast)

anyone know of a setting in XP (SP2) or Zone Alarm that will fix this?
usually I'd start f00kin about with settings 'til something clicked,
but I'm dog ass tired atm :(

Edit: haven't gotten one of those "Event ID 4226" messages,
so not running the TCP/IP patch.......

zapjb
07-04-2005, 11:14 PM
ZAP is messed up. The free version is better.

peat moss
07-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Depends on the version ,4.5.594.0 seems fine a bit little slow on start up tho. Was having trouble with startup and process hogging myself ,so switched to Look "N" stop awhile back a great program . Got it after reading Zapjb's comments on it.

fkdup74
07-05-2005, 04:11 AM
ffs, think I may know what it was.....
the default setting in windows is to
allow the network adapter to be powered off to save power

I hadn't changed that setting yet :P
we'll see if that does the trick.......

peat moss
07-05-2005, 04:26 AM

I spend days setting up my computer after a clean install , don't feel so bad. :)

fkdup74
07-05-2005, 12:31 PM

I spend days setting up my computer after a clean install , don't feel so bad. :)

well, I am feeling bad.....'cause that wasn't the problem :P

changed the setting, let it run over night, had to reboot again :angry:

Adster
07-05-2005, 02:51 PM
let me just say I told you so :P

DanB
07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I use XP with SP2 and Zone Alarm Pro version 5.0.094.000 and I don't have any problems

Sometimes if I leave my pc for more than 5 days without rebooting my net goes really sluggish, I think it did actually freeze once but I resolved by rebooting my router :unsure:

RealitY
07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Well after the issues i had with ZA I just wont even get near it now especially considering how well Sygate has done...

DanB
07-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I did try to install Sygate but it had issues when installing with Drive G (which I don't have one off :blink: )

I haven't had any problems with ZA ... yet :lol:

h121589
07-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I use XP with SP2 and ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 5.5.094.000 and I don't have any problems.

fkdup74
07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Well after the issues i had with ZA I just wont even get near it now especially considering how well Sygate has done...

yeah, Sygate has done well for me,
but I just got bored I guess, had to try something different :unsure:
(I should've not done that probably, remembering all the shit I went through with ZA personal) :P
plus I'm still waiting for the next version of SPF Pro
been on 5.5 for fkn ever now :dry:

lynx
07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
No problems with SP2 and ZAP 5.5.094.000 except when using MorphXT it seems to build up a lot of mem usage. Shutting down ZA and restarting frees up the mem tho. If you are short of free mem I can see it seeming to freeze if it is using a lot of VM.

Lion7718
07-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I use ZAP with XP SP2 also wothout any problems..last year I ra ZA & Sygate..I would change once a month to keep them updated..them after 1 of Sysates updates, I couldn't connect to the net anymore..blocked it but good...tried 4-5 times, no go once installed worked fine, 1st reboot & lockout...anyway just ZA now...I was more happy with it..it just like anything, people can always say Sygate is better, but 1/2 of them never tried ZA..it's from what they have read...to eacj there own. :)

fkdup74
07-06-2005, 12:27 AM
No problems with SP2 and ZAP 5.5.094.000
same one I'm using
the pc don't freeze, it just forgets it's connected to a network or somethin
and tried the repair connection bullshit.....didn't work either :dry:
only way to get back online is to reboot

people can always say Sygate is better, but 1/2 of them never tried ZA..it's from what they have read...
ermmmm.......no
whenever I recommend anything to someone, it's firsthand experience talking,
not some off the wall website quotage (which always favor ZA if you had read any)

anyway......meh.
you ZA kiddies :P shoot some ideas out
for some setting I may have missed....this is starting to bug me :lol:

peat moss
07-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Is it a driver you forgot mabye Mobo or lan ? Did you try reinstalling or mabye close ZA and turn on the Xp biult in one see if that helps.

fkdup74
07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Is it a driver you forgot mabye Mobo or lan ? Did you try reinstalling or mabye close ZA and turn on the Xp biult in one see if that helps.

XP firewall....... :sick:

:P

yeah, I was thinking of updating the nForce drivers (still using 5.10)
but these drivers were fine w/ Sygate & SP1
maybe they have some SP2 specific kind of update in the later drivers :unsure:

edit: just checked nVidia's site.....these are the latest drivers......ffs :(

peat moss
07-06-2005, 01:02 AM

XP firewall....... :sick:

:P

yeah, I was thinking of updating the nForce drivers (still using 5.10)
but these drivers were fine w/ Sygate & SP1
maybe they have some SP2 specific kind of update in the later drivers :unsure:

edit: just checked nVidia's site.....these are the latest drivers......ffs :(

Is th xp one turned off ? Ya I know peats an idiot but like you said, you reformated and mabye you missed some thing ? I'v put Za pro on many computers and have never seen that . I'll get my coat............ :)

fkdup74
07-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Is th xp one turned off ? Ya I know peats an idiot but like you said, you reformated and mabye you missed some thing ? I'v put Za pro on many computers and have never seen that . I'll get my coat............ :)

here.......I'll hand ya yer coat :P
XP's firewall is the first thing to go on every format :lol:

lynx
07-06-2005, 02:59 AM
When it drops your network connection, did you try Shutdown ZA Pro?

If you try that and the connection comes back then you've got a problem with ZA. If it doesn't come back then it can't be anything directly to do with ZA since it isn't running.

Lion7718
07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
It almost sounds like he has the Internet Lock on...but it would have seem he would have already checked this. But since the Lock only comes on when Idel..when the Screensavor comes on...it kinda sounds like thats what it is. It's under ZA/Program Control/Main...box a bottom...just in case.

fkdup74
07-06-2005, 12:07 PM
It almost sounds like he has the Internet Lock on...but it would have seem he would have already checked this. But since the Lock only comes on when Idel..when the Screensavor comes on...it kinda sounds like thats what it is. It's under ZA/Program Control/Main...box a bottom...just in case.

TY for the hint :)
but nah, auto lock is disabled, I had checked that already

but, looking back through there, I went into the advanced program settings,
alerts & functionality tab, and there's a setting checked:
"deny access if permission is set to 'ask' and true vector is running but ZAP is not"
now, I can't see that this would be a problem,
as long as my pc is running, my firewall is :blink:
but I could be wrong.......

any more ideas? they are appreciated....
(you know I'll gladly help you buggers out if you ever decide to switch to Sygate) :P

@ lynx - no, I haven't tried shutting down ZAP yet, don't really like to,
what the hell, I may try that next
but, it may not be ZAP anyway, as I've said, this is my 1st time really using SP2 as well
I had dabbed in it before, but uninstalled after, like, a day or so :lol:
so it could be an SP2 setting? :unsure:

Lion7718
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
but, looking back through there, I went into the advanced program settings,
alerts & functionality tab, and there's a setting checked:
"deny access if permission is set to 'ask' and true vector is running but ZAP is not"
now, I can't see that this would be a problem,
as long as my pc is running, my firewall is :blink:
but I could be wrong.......

Mine is set that way also, True Vector is part of ZA, but this is what makes most users have ZA problems with lockups & crashes..it is almost always a true vector problem..I don't think that is it either.

Have you added any Rules to ZA yet..??
Maybe, something there is wrong..it couldn't hurt to remove any that have been added.

peat moss
07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
@fkdup74, you stubborn bugger , good quality to have tho ! :) What antivirus do you use ? I goggled your troubles and found a few issuses with different ones. Nod32 was one of a few mentioned .

Snee
07-07-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm not a fan of ZA, always thought Sygate was better. And if you do want to use ZA with SP2, the older version is indeed better if I remember correctly.

But if you are feeling as if you'd like to experiment, you could have a go at outpost.
(Trying it myself 'cos Sygate went a bit nuts the last time I updated the drivers for my onboard lan on my old xp-installation)

I'm trying Outpost Pro 2.7 now on my (new as of the day before yesterday) xp-install, and it's working well so far, the only real problem I have with it is that you seem to need a plugin to do even a rudimentary whois through outpost.

fkdup74
07-07-2005, 01:47 AM
@ Lion - no rules, haven't gotten that comfortable with ZAP yet to be messing about with rules

@ peat - damn straight I am :P (and using Symantec Corp 9.0.3.1000)

@ snny - used to have Outpost Pro, way back when all the firewall/AV testing was goin on in here,
(couple of big threads w/ test trojans/viruses/etc. and we were all measuring our fw's/av's penises)
so I collected all the fw's I could get my hands on

but fkd if I know what happened to it :unsure:
prolly on a disc somewhere buried in a pile of junk.....

been hearing a big whoop-de-doo about look-n-stop,
this may just be my chance to try it out :lol:

Lion7718
07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I guess the next test to do would be to Shut ZAP down for about an hour & let it idel...if you still have a problem, than it's not ZAP & something else.

fkdup74
07-07-2005, 08:11 PM
well it was ZA, finally remembered to restart ZA instead of rebooting :P
(restarting ZA got the network going)
gonna mess with some more settings and see if it works out

peat moss
07-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey its the simple things sometimes , check your PM's Look " n" stop is always an opition if you don't care for ZA . I like ZA it was just too slow on start up , I reboot often because of all the software I try . :)

peat moss
07-08-2005, 12:37 AM
OOps pardon me , excuse me , :lol: