PDA

View Full Version : Cant hear anything from my speakers.

dOomed
07-06-2005, 01:19 AM
About 2 days ago, I started hearing a "hizzing" sound from my speakers. The sound would get louder as I turned the volume up. I tried disconnecting my computer speakers and reconnecting them but I would still hear the "hiss". I ignored it and kept on playing my music and etc..

Well, yesterday I turned the computer on and to my surprise, I cant hear anything. Im pretty sure my speakers arent the problem because they look alright to me. Theyre some really good Yamaha speakers I bought bout 1 year ago. Im also sure it has to do with the sound card because of the fact that my computer is a couple of years old. But yea, I dont hear anything from my speakers..no music..nothing. Im assuming its my sound card because my microphone doesnt work either and when I tried connecting some headphones...I couldnt hear squat.

I dont know much bout sound/audio cards. Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix it?

By the way im using Windows XP SP2.
Gateway AMD Athlon Processor
648 mhz 256mb ram

peat moss
07-06-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd check the sound properties mabye one of the kids hit mute .

Virtualbody1234
07-06-2005, 01:36 AM
You can test the speakers by pluging them into some other sound device like a portable CD player or something similar.

clocker
07-06-2005, 05:29 AM
I dont know much bout sound/audio cards. Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix it?

Ummm...no.
If VB's suggestion eliminates the speakers then you just replace the card.

After you've checked the mute button, of course.