PDA

View Full Version : What's the most reliable DVD media?

worldpease
07-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi guys,
based on your experience and the common knowledge combined,
what is the most reliable DVD blank media?,
cus I don't know if I mentined it before, but I got these TDK 50pk and
Im having a lot of bad DVD copies.
So I'd apresiate if you could tell me what you think,
so I can take it into consideration the next time I go shoping.

edit: moved as requested.

Darth Sushi
07-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Taiyo Yuden (made in Japan)...over a thousand burns and not a single coaster. Also, make sure your burner has the lastest firmware otherwise the burner will not know how to write each brand/type of media.

Virtualbody1234
07-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Slowing down the burn speed can help.

fkdup74
07-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Taiyo Yuden

I've bought Maxell DVD-Rs that were TY media,
the burner/burning app/settings can still fuck those up :P

Duffman
07-06-2005, 04:34 AM
It's really a hard question man, I bought some cheapo ritek 4x ones off line for about .20 cents a disc, and the worked perfect, not 1 bad one that was the disc's fault, but I have some memorex I think ones I got when I got the burner. They sucked. So search on google for you model dvd writer, get the latest firmware, and see if you can find other people that wrote about the media on your burner.

accat13
07-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Most made in Japan media is of higher quality.But its getting harder to find.Some times if you actually pick thru the shelf buried amongst the made in taiwan you will find made in japan.The brand name will be the same but the manufacturer is different.What kind of burner do you own some prefer plus media like my liteon 832s.Just for a laugh check out all the different media codes for tdk http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?... (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=tdk&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=6&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=25&search=Search+or+List+Media)
Its a real crap shoot lol:lol:

Edit: edited your link, it was distorting the page

SingaBoiy
07-06-2005, 05:34 AM
I love my Sonic media :)

Cheapest ive seen and always a perfect burn.

accat13
07-06-2005, 05:39 AM
even the sonic is a crap shoot everything from tygo2 :) to Longten 001 :( http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=sonic&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=6&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=25&search=Search+or+List+Media

muchspl3
07-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I have never had a problem, I like Ritek/RiData but I buy the cheapest I can get

have you got the latest firmware for your burner? that fixes lots of compatibility issues

Adster
07-06-2005, 07:41 AM
heres something interesting

I had a Lite On burner and just about every 4th copy or lets say every 2nd or 3rd copy I would make the end of the movie is fucked I went everywhere searching for the problem tryed 10 different software tryed shit loads of different media you name it wouldn't solve it the answer I got from most people was 90% of thees cases are DVD media. also data I would burn would be fucked at the edge of the disk yes tryed write speed at 1!!

audio CDs would be perfect though

well guess what I just recently purchased a Pioneer burner no coasters!!!! its consistent so it was the burner all along

so obviously the burner was not compatible to some reason

just saying its not always the medias fault

Duffman
07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah but the media is the cheapest and the biggest variable, why buy a hundred stack of blank dvds, end up with a coaster and keep byeing new burners till one works?

Adster
07-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah but the media is the cheapest and the biggest variable, why buy a hundred stack of blank dvds, end up with a coaster and keep byeing new burners till one works?

not in australia it isn't expect to pay $4 each for DVDr or $50 for a pack of 25 where you can get a burner for $132

Darth Sushi
07-06-2005, 08:23 AM
not in australia it isn't expect to pay $4 each for DVDr or $50 for a pack of 25 where you can get a burner for $132
OMG! And I was bitching about the recent price jump from .25 cents to .32 cents per/disc for TAIYO YUDEN at supermedia. :blink:

lynx
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
If you haven't already got it (or something similar) get DvdInfoPro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/). You can find out exactly which dye your media uses. If you are having problems with a brand make a note of the dye, than don't buy disks with that dye.

I find that my NEC drive seems to work fine with Ritek G05 based media. I've been using Ridisc Xtreme which are 8x rated but burn fine at 16x. Unfortunately I just got some more Ridisc media, and despite the name they haven't even got Ritek dye. They won't burn at 16x, in fact I just burnt a 2.5GB disk and I don't think it even got above 4x. :angry:

I guess the thing to do is check the quality here (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) when you find a cheap one. I would say that if it isn't listed there don't buy it. If it is listed there, check out different media with the same media code. Watch out for poisoned reviews though, I read one guy complaining about the burning troubles he had, then said the media wouldn't read in 7 players. :blink:

accat13
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM

I had a Lite On burner and just about every 4th copy or lets say every 2nd or 3rd copy I would make the end of the movie is fucked I went everywhere searching for the problem tryed 10 different software tryed shit loads of different media you name it wouldn't solve it the answer I got from most people was 90% of thees cases are DVD media. also data I would burn would be fucked at the edge of the disk yes tryed write speed at 1!!

well guess what I just recently purchased a Pioneer burner no coasters!!!! its consistent so it was the burner all along

just saying its not always the medias faultthe problem with the liteon could have been most likely fixed with a hacked firmware.You most likely had a huge number of errors at the end of the disc.I think the "omnipatcher tool" solves this issue with force fall back http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590 If you still own the burner you may like to have a little fun playing with it.

Adster
07-07-2005, 04:49 AM

just saying its not always the medias faultthe problem with the liteon could have been most likely fixed with a hacked firmware.You most likely had a huge number of errors at the end of the disc.I think the "omnipatcher tool" solves this issue with force fall back http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590 If you still own the burner you may like to have a little fun playing with it.

thanks sounds interesting

SingaBoiy
07-07-2005, 04:55 AM
even the sonic is a crap shoot everything from tygo2 :) to Longten 001 :( http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=sonic&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=6&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=25&search=Search+or+List+Media
Dont know if you have ever tried it but tygo2 is great. Between me and my brother in law, weve gone though a few thousand w/o a bad burn that wasnt the dvd burner's fault.

Adster
07-07-2005, 05:26 AM
ill tell you one brand to NEVER EVER GET!! PRINCO

another interesting thing is the stuff I burned on teh LITE ON wouldnt play on DVD players and wouldnt play on my LITE ON DVD but it will play on Pioneer so I was able to revover some of that what I thought was fucked coasters

accat13
07-07-2005, 11:33 PM

just saying its not always the medias faultJust curious which particular liteon it was.Also if you realized liteon(especially older models) don't particularly like dvd- media .I've burnt a few ty's that were dvd minus.Lets just say they really work great as coasters.The liteon drives also develops a memory of the last three or 4 burns, not that great if the burns were bad(can be cleaned with utilities http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html )

Peerzy
07-08-2005, 04:17 AM
I have never had a problem, I like Ritek/RiData but I buy the cheapest I can get

have you got the latest firmware for your burner? that fixes lots of compatibility issues

Same, i do with the cheapest i can find and buy in bulk of 200. So far i've had no problems.

It's a better idea to buy a good burner and cheap media, than a cheap burner and expensive media. Also my really cheap media is still working 2 years + on so nothing's degraded yet like some say.

motov600
07-12-2005, 10:58 AM
datawrite dvd-r are good and so are ritek
goes good with a pioneer 109 dvd burning drive

Snee
07-12-2005, 11:14 AM
ill tell you one brand to NEVER EVER GET!! PRINCO

another interesting thing is the stuff I burned on teh LITE ON wouldnt play on DVD players and wouldnt play on my LITE ON DVD but it will play on Pioneer so I was able to revover some of that what I thought was fucked coasters
I've got both princo and Lite on at home.

Actually, in my experience it works just fine, except that you can't burn several of them one after another, you have to let it rest between burns or it'll say it burned them fine, but the discs won't work.

Slowing down the burning speed is also indeed a good idea, if you get those burns that are fucked up at the end of the movie.

Which would mean that you have to burn the princo discs I have at no more than 2x at the most. But sometimes burning discs at really low speeds have worked badly for me with other drives in the past, so I wouldn't immediately set the speed to 1x.

DVD decrypter might have issues with the Lite on drive, tho', or maybe it's the princos it doesn't like :unsure:

Lion7718
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
datawrite dvd-r are good and so are ritek
goes good with a pioneer 109 dvd burning drive

I use Riteks also..for about 2 years...never had a problem with them & my TDK Burner

Valentino
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I think Verbatim is the best single layer.

I have not found a good dual layer DVD+R yet. They are all unstable and works only from time to time.

2slick4u
11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
so who would have the best deals on DL DVD'S and which 1 would you buy to burn xbox 360 games and 720 rips movies any suggestins

colombianino
11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
haven't had much problems with my LITEON dvd burner, a couple of times which said "cd out of space" but it really wasn't. that also could have been my not so great 20gb hard drive that i sue for OS.

you must carefully read what the hardware can or can't do before you decide to buy it, doing research might help too. if i had the money i would have bought a better one, but i trust Lite ON.

lynx
11-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Another good idea is looking at the age of a thread and deciding whether it's really sensible to add your question to a three year old topic.

colombianino
11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
oh well, i guess so.

ice76
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I will go for japan made taiyo yuden discs from rima.com

FX2908
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I vote for Verbatim too. They are the best.

j2k4
11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Another good idea is looking at the age of a thread and deciding whether it's really sensible to add your question to a three year old topic.

Best post in this thread over the last 3+ years, I'd say. :whistling

amarissa
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Slowing down the burn speed can help

leaveapath
12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
i recently purchased 100pk verbatim dvd-r for wii games, and so far it hasn't failed me.

wasaby
12-07-2008, 05:15 PM
philips is good one,
it's my choise

chibislick
12-09-2008, 05:07 AM
cdfreaks.com has lots of information on this, did you check the site?

You might want to check out this forum, in particular:

LINK REMOVED - STOP SPAMMING THAT SITE

"most popular media code" and "most popular DVD brands" posts are what you're looking for :)

peat moss
12-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Slowing down the burn speed can help

I smile every time a new burner be it BlueRay or DL comes out raving about its speed , I still burn @ 4 speed . Does n't mater what it is Data cd , movie or music . Old fart or creature of habit I guess .

I buy Memorex 75 packs , last me a week as I burn movies for mates or co- workers . Money well spent .

chibislick
12-10-2008, 05:32 PM
cdfreaks.com has lots of information on this, did you check the site?

You might want to check out this forum, in particular:

LINK REMOVED - STOP SPAMMING THAT SITE

"most popular media code" and "most popular DVD brands" posts are what you're looking for :)

Stop spamming that site? I linked it twice to two posts where it was relevant. Is that what's considered as spamming?

no_bother
12-20-2008, 01:54 AM
I use Nero 9, or DVD-Decryptor To burn, with a Sony Blu-Ray burner(Joys of Pooter science in uni, discounts from komplett in ireland)
on a low burn speed, usually with verbatim discs.
only get a fail rate of maybe 1 in 100 or so?

ice76
12-25-2008, 07:30 AM
I use japan-made Taiyo yuden discs

SpeakingSoul
01-01-2009, 12:33 AM
I usually buy the inkjet printable discs, even though I don't have a printer that can use them. I've gotten lots of Verbatum ones and had no trouble.

Frankthetank1
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
memorix works for me but am always looking for better quality

Getcha
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Verbatim TY .

Jiggles
01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Verbatim DVD-R is the best.

kooftspc11
01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
verbatim dvd+r ive found to be the most consistent

tbh though ive tried alot of different brands and i noticed that even the random $10 50-pack dvd+r discs work just fine

the only really shit dvds i came across were the hp dvd-r discs that i had to buy one day because i needed them right away and went to target to buy them. only 1 of the 5 pack that i bought actually worked

j2k4
01-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I've been using Memorex DVD-Rs for the last couple of years; burning them at default (fastest) speeds, and I haven't made a coaster yet.

I suspect it has something to do with limiting my use to DVD Decrypter (for XP) and IMGBurn (for Vista).

The simple progs always seem to work the best, although I don't do any copying of DVDs, and so haven't run the copyright/DRM gauntlet.

Esquire
01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Verbatim (DVD-Rs manufactured by Mitsubishi Chemicals). From more than 200 used only 2 got wrong :cool:.