PDA

View Full Version : London gets Olympic games 2012

Fake Shemp
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
London beats Paris to 2012 Games

Crowds celebrate in London's Trafalgar Square
Live Olympics reporters' log
The 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London, the International Olympic Committee announced on Wednesday.

London won a two-way battle against Paris at the IOC vote in Singapore, after bids from Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated.

Paris had been favourites throughout the campaign but London's hopes were raised after an impressive presentation by Lord Coe, the bid chairman.

IOC president Jacques Rogge made the dramatic announcement at 1249 BST.

Tension had filled the air as crowds gathered in both capital cities to await the verdict - outside the Hotel de Ville in Paris, and at a pre-planned 'party' in Trafalgar Square respectively.

It will be the first time the Olympics has been held in Britain since 1948.

This is how the decision was made by the IOC in Singapore on Wednesday:

* All five bidding cities gave final 45-minute presentations to the IOC members before the vote began.

* The electronic ballot started at 1126 BST. Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated from the race in the first, second and third rounds of voting.

* The final round of voting finished at about 1145 BST, with the committee reconvening at 1230 BST for the official announcement.

Wednesday's decision brings to an end the 18-month race to win the host contract for the 2012 Games.

And it was the most keenly-fought bidding contest in recent years.

Paris was considered the front-runner for much of the campaign, and was highly rated in the initial evaluation and also by the inspectors after their visits earlier in the year.

But it was widely recognised that bid leader Lord Coe, a high-profile personality within the IOC and other governing bodies, hauled London closer to the French capital as the vote approached.

Madrid was seen as a consistent but not outstanding candidate, while New York's bid was dogged by problems over their proposed stadium, and Moscow was always seen as the rank outsider.

Once attention moved to Singapore, the bidding cities called on political and sporting heavyweights to champion their causes.

And the spotlight inevitably focused on Paris and London in the days leading up to the vote.

The two cities had President Chirac and Prime Minister Blair respectively in their corners.

Mr Chirac actually took part in the French capital's final presentation on Wednesday, while Mr Blair opted to lobby alongside the London bid team in Singapore before flying back to Britain to host the G8 summit.

London also called on England captain David Beckham and a galaxy of Olympic and Paralympic medallists as ambassadors, while footballers Laurent Blanc and Zinedine Zidane were among those backing the Paris bid.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4655555.stm)

:01:

It is a ways off mind. I'll be 34 by then... :ph34r:

Barbarossa
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Hooray!!! :01:

At last, we've won something... :w00t:

{I}{K}{E}
07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I wont be happy if it will ever be here in holland again. its costs billions!!

Fake Shemp
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM

IKE, you couldn't put an 's' after 'game' in the thread title for me could you? :D

peat moss
07-06-2005, 12:20 PM

Yep better start saving now. Montreal is stay paying for 1976 . :dry:

Guillaume
07-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Mr Chirac actually took part in the French capital's final presentation on Wednesday

When will this fucker understand that everything he touches turns to shite?

Illuminati
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Mr Chirac actually took part in the French capital's final presentation on Wednesday

True.

Still, what the hell were the IOC thinking in voting for London? :blink:

JPaul
07-06-2005, 01:34 PM

True.

Still, what the hell were the IOC thinking in voting for London? :blink:
Telling Chirac to SLFU.

lynx
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM

When will this fucker understand that everything he touches turns to shite?I wonder if his snide comments about British food may just have been the final straw for some of the voters.

tralalala
07-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Yet another blow to the French..... Well done Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serves that a**hole right for commenting about my kitchen..!!!!! :angry:

So............... only another 7 years to wait.. :lol: :lol:

tralalala
07-06-2005, 03:55 PM
may I ask at this point what SLFU is..?

am I guessing it's Shut Le F**k Up? :lol:

manker
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM

am I guessing it's Shut Le F**k Up? :lol:Yes you may - and I duno, are you? :unsure:

Busyman
07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Congratulations!!!

Now the government can spend money they say they didn't have for social programs.

The upside is that the renovations and structures that are made stay that way.

manker
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
The government didn't say that they had no money to host the Olympics.

Budgets have to be flexible.

JPaul
07-06-2005, 05:45 PM

am I guessing it's Shut Le F**k Up? :lol:
Indeed

Just another of my oui bisexual jokes.

JPaul
07-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Congratulations!!!

Thank you, very kind.

Rat Faced
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
£25 Billion.... IF it sticks to budget

tralalala
07-06-2005, 07:17 PM

am I guessing it's Shut Le F**k Up? :lol:Yes you may - and I duno, are you? :unsure:

Well, I wasn't sure what it ws at the beginning of typing the post, and only half way through it occured to me what it was.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPaul
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
£25 Billion.... IF it sticks to budget
Feck I thought it was £2.4 billion.

Must have missed the point.

Rat Faced
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
£2.4Billion is how much is earmarked to stage the games (build the stadium and village etc), it doesnt include the improved infrastructure thats been promised. Not just in London, but the South East as a whole.

The promised improvements were all part of the bid, I believe.

Then theres the rehousing of people having to move and other domestic developement thats forced upon the city as a result of the Olympic Stadium and local infrastructure requirements... Thats a lot of Compulsary Purchases.

sArA
07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I'd better see if tickets for the athletics are sold out yet...:D :D

JPaul
07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
£2.4Billion is how much is earmarked to stage the games (build the stadium and village etc), it doesnt include the improved infrastructure thats been promised. Not just in London, but the South East as a whole.

The promised improvements were all part of the bid, I believe.

Then theres the rehousing of people having to move and other domestic developement thats forced upon the city as a result of the Olympic Stadium and local infrastructure requirements... Thats a lot of Compulsary Purchases.
Thanks for that mate.

I'm not a mentalist then, I had just seen part of the picture.

sArA
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Congratulations to my U.K. cousins. :)

Mayhaps you can demonstrate how to bring an Olympiad in on/under budget; make it a goal.

Oh you mean like the Millenium Dome and the Channel Tunnel......:rolleyes:

Busyman
07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Congratulations to my U.K. cousins. :)

Mayhaps you can demonstrate how to bring an Olympiad in on/under budget; make it a goal.

That said, I urge each and every one of our U.K. members to attend what-, when-, and however you are able; the Olympic experience is not to be missed. ;)
I wish I felt the same way.

I remember when DC was trying to get it and I was praying they wouldn't. If a government is cutting education, social programs, etc, claiming the money isn't there than it shouldn't "come up" with the money for the Olympics. They seem to have done this anyway for the stadium for the Nationals...da bastards.
Logistically though, the Olympics was a good fit for DC since we already have many arenas set-up.

How is it in London as far as structures for events?

edit: I just saw Sara's post above. That's a good start but definitely not all of it. ;)

yonki
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
They have nothing, i still cant believe London won.

sArA
07-06-2005, 10:57 PM

Because London Pwns Paris....simple innit?

Busyman
07-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Didn't Paris have it before? If so, London was an excellent choice.

(but them than us anyway since it brings no good fortune :shifty: )

yonki
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM

pwns?whats that?bribe?

Guillaume
07-07-2005, 06:05 AM
:rolleyes:
Hey! Stop stealing my lines! :angry:
I'm supposed to be the irate French sore loser here!

yonki
07-07-2005, 08:15 AM
LOL, but there were also another 3 candidate cities. Damn Blair hes R.Daneel

Barbarossa
07-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Logistically though, the Olympics was a good fit for DC since we already have many arenas set-up.

How is it in London as far as structures for events?

Alot of things are going to have to be built, such as the Olympic stadium, Olympic village, aquatic centre and velodrome, this has all been earmarked for derelict land in Stratford, East London. (Not Shakespeare's Stratford!)

The Millennium Dome will be used for gymnastics, trampoline and basketball. Next to this will be a new temporary structure (yeah, even more temporary than the Dome!) called Greenwich Arena, which will host the badminton and the rhythmic gymnastics. :blink:
Regents Park will be used for baseball, softball and road cycling.
Hyde Park will be used for the triathlon.
Broxbourne in Hertfordshire is where the canoeing/kayaking will be.
Greenwich Park will be used for equestrian and modern pentathlon.
Shooting will be at the Royal Artillery Barracks (of course!) :)
Mountain biking will be at Weald Country Park. (East London)
The new Wembley Stadium will host the mens and womens football finals (soccer). The rest of the football (soccer) matches will be at Hampden Park (Glasgow), Millennium Stadium (Cardiff), Old Trafford (Manchester), St James' Park (Newcastle), and Villa Park (Birmingham)
Wimbledon will host the tennis. (They're good at that sort of thing)
Lords cricket ground will be used for the archery.. :w00t:
Sailing will take place down at Weymouth.
Rowing will be at Eton Dorney near Windsor.
Horseguards Parade will be used for beach volleyball! :lol: :01:

The new rail-link will provide faster access from the Channel Tunnel, so that disgruntled Parisians can come along and see what they could have won... ;)

I think they'll also be pushing through CrossRail now, which is a fast direct rail link between East and West London, which they've been ummming and arrrring about for years... :01:

99shassan
07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
great, higher fees and tube fares

Peerzy
07-07-2005, 09:40 AM
great, higher fees and tube fares

But better service over the long term, apparently :lookaroun

99shassan
07-07-2005, 10:44 AM
trains will be even more packed with more tourists than ever

manker
07-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Baseball and Softball have been axed from the London 2012 Olympics.

I would suggest this as a good thing but I didn't know they were Olympic Sports in the first place :huh:

Barbarossa
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Are they going to bring in Rounders instead then? :huh:

manker
07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Are they going to bring in Rounders instead then? :huh:That would be nice :happy:

There were proposals to bring in rugby sevens but nothing is to be added for these games. Sevens is always a great spectacle, I wonder if Sir Clive would have been kept on to coach the would-be UK entrants ... .

Busyman
07-08-2005, 01:01 PM
That's weird that they got rid of baseball and keep a sport like curling. :blink:

I heard that baseball and softball may be replaced with golf and karate.

Fucking golf? :angry:

Barbarossa
07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Squash and Karate I heard, but the meeting ended in confusion, and I don't think they'll be in because they couldn't agree on a change to the Olympic Charter (whatever that is)

Squash would be cool! I don't understand why it's not in...

manker
07-08-2005, 01:04 PM
That's weird that they got rid of baseball and keep a sport like curling. :blink:

Fucking golf? :angry:No new sports will be added.

Personally I'm glad baseball's gone (altho' I never knew it was there) - it's the most boring game on earth and only N. Americans care about it.

manker
07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
and I don't think they'll be in because they couldn't agree on a change to the Olympic Charter (whatever that is)It's a charter concerning the Olympics :huh:

Busyman
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Fucking golf? :angry:No new sports will be added.

Personally I'm glad baseball's gone (altho' I never knew it was there) - it's the most boring game on earth and only N. Americans care about it.
Not this North American. However, I don't see the logic in keeping curling though (or adding golf). :ermm: Scrubbing shuffleboard? :blink:

I think of the Olympics as being ultra athletic. (I think Japan plays baseball :unsure: )

manker
07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I thought Curling was a Winter Olympic Sport :unsure:

I think lots of countries play it, in Europe at least. Prolly most countries with a bit of cold weather in winter. I too think of the Olympics as being athletic competition so Golf would be a pretty stupid inclusion. Perhaps that's why Baseball went.

Oh, and the steriods.

Barbarossa
07-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I think they should bring back tug-of-war :)

Busyman
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I thought Curling was a Winter Olympic Sport :unsure:

I think lots of countries play it, in Europe at least. Prolly most countries with a bit of cold weather in winter. I too think of the Olympics as being athletic competition so Golf would be a pretty stupid inclusion. Perhaps that's why Baseball went.

Oh, and the steriods.
Good points...the whole post. ;)

Busyman
07-08-2005, 01:52 PM
I think they should bring back tug-of-war :)
It's called soccer. :ermm:

{I}{K}{E}
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Baseball and softball wont be in 2012.
no Karate.

Squash isnt a sport with many players over the entire world.

Busyman
07-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Look!!!

...up in the sky!!!.....IT'S CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!! :ohmy:

They should bring squash into the games. It's highly athletic.

Barbarossa
07-08-2005, 02:35 PM

They should bring in Tantric Sex too then! :w00t:

Busyman
07-08-2005, 02:45 PM

They should bring in Tantric Sex too then! :w00t:
Fuck that (pun)!!!

I like twat but like for there to be an ending.....with no timer of "holding it".

manker
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I also like for there to be an end in. Anything else is foreplay :snooty:

JPaul
07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
I also like for there to be an end in.

Which of your orifices do you prefer it put in.

Busyman
07-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I also like for there to be an end in.

Which of your orifices do you prefer it put in.
J'ismed. :ph34r: