PDA

View Full Version : Giganews

snook789
07-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I have a friend that uses Giganews unlimited for $25 a months
He says they have one of the best retention and completions available.

I would like to hear what others here have to says that have tried them, and how they rate compared the popular ones here, like EasyNews, Newshosting and usenetserver

I will be using it mainly for DVDs, so I will need an unlimited account

Thanks!

{I}{K}{E}
07-09-2005, 04:08 PM
$25 a month is a lot imo.

I pay €7,50 a month and have 20 days retention.

snook789
07-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I thought so to, thus the post :)

who do you use ?

{I}{K}{E}
07-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought so to, thus the post :)

who do you use ?

I use Eweka (dutch :P )

|F1|
07-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I use giganews, I get 2gb a month from my isp for free. I know its not that much, but I only use it ocassionaly. Giganews has 30 days retention, and has a great amount of files, but is a little expensive for unlimited.

snook789
07-09-2005, 04:37 PM
dvdrs.net users really seem to like Giganews as well

I am thinking of splitting an account with my neighbor...

RealitY
07-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I think NewsHosting is a much better deal at $15 a month for unlimited and dosent seem to mind splitting either and has just as good a retention and Ive never seen them cap anyone. In the past with GigaNews Ive heard quite a few complaints that heavy users have had their lines capped and when they ask why they are told that theyre unaware and that they dont cap, which it seems they do and then suggest to close their account and offten just close their account. If you decide to go with NewsHosing though dont forget the forums banner above or use our referral link at...
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

Hanz™
07-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Yes Giganews does cap if you download over 350GB a month (or something like that)...
May be a bit more GB...

erictc
07-10-2005, 01:20 PM
i max out my 200kb/s with usenetserver 15 $ unlimited now.
for me it is faster than newshosting and giganews ever was.
but also depends on location you are.
just check traceroute and server location.

snook789
07-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I just have been testing out GigaNews and NewsHosting speed with my connections.

For some reason the NewsHosting kepts droping for me.

Here is a screen shot of both, done right after the other, downloading from the same server. (parts of the same file)

Why the big drop off's ?

erictc
07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I just have been testing out GigaNews and NewsHosting speed with my connections.

Here is a screen shot of both, done right after the other, downloading from the same server. (parts of the same file)

Why the big drop off's ?

i think newshosting is capping that highspeed connections.
just pay that 25$ for giganews if you want fullspeed. :wacko:

cldnails
07-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I've been using the giganews unlimited for 1 month now...

Transfer (since 06/15/05) 209.23GB/Unlimited
Type D/L Billed Free
Articles 209.23GB 209.23GB 0.00GB
Headers 17.34GB 0.00GB 17.34GB
Total 226.57GB 209.23GB 17.34GB

I've not had one single issue...other than the fact they only allow me 4 simultaneous connections. It would be nice ot be downloading from my work, home, laptop, school, and wherever else I might be at the time....but alas...I'm limited to 4.

Peerzy
07-14-2005, 10:24 PM
I use to have Giganews, capped me after a bit at 100kb/s. Canceled and told them my problem and they promised to refund me. 3 months on no refund and they refuse to respond to my emails.

3 months of happy Newshosting here, compared with 15 days of shit Giganews service then being lied to and being cut off without asking to be.

{I}{K}{E}
07-14-2005, 10:30 PM

Why the big drop off's ?

with a decent payserver you dont need to download par2 files :huh:

biggulp
07-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Do any of these providers allow connections from more than 1 IP? I want to share an account with a friend.

Hanz™
07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Do any of these providers allow connections from more than 1 IP? I want to share an account with a friend.
None of them allow it, but I seem to remember peerzy doing so with a friend.
I presume you both have to share the 4 connections. 2 each.

{I}{K}{E}
07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
some payservers allow account sharing.

I share my account with a friend.

max connections is 4.
so we both use 2 ;)

Peerzy
07-15-2005, 01:58 PM
None of them allow it, but I seem to remember peerzy doing so with a friend.
I presume you both have to share the 4 connections. 2 each.

Yeah, infact i still let someone use my Newshosting account. 2 connections maxes out my 3mb connection and 2 connections max out my friends 6mb connection. Thats 8mb at one time maxing out :cool:

cldnails
07-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I use to have Giganews, capped me after a bit at 100kb/s. Canceled and told them my problem and they promised to refund me. 3 months on no refund and they refuse to respond to my emails.

3 months of happy Newshosting here, compared with 15 days of shit Giganews service then being lied to and being cut off without asking to be.

That's very strange...how long ago was that?

tracydani
07-16-2005, 04:31 PM
I've had no issues with GigaNews and have been using them for a bit more then a year now.

Of course I can only dl at 125k/s or so but I have had it going for weeks maxed out with no trouble :cool2: Lots of research materials on the NG's :)

:lol:

TD

Peerzy
07-16-2005, 04:56 PM

That's very strange...how long ago was that?

About 4 months ago.

As soon as i quit Giganews i went straight over to Newshosting.

I get an email and looked on Google and a few hundred other people have recieved the exact same email, it says we could not find an issue on our end so we have decided it is best for your account to be canceled, you will be refunded shortly.

RealitY
07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Do any of these providers allow connections from more than 1 IP?
I think the easiest way to go for you is NewsHosting.
This can easily be done and is all the time.
As always and dont forget our referral...

brotherdoobie
07-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I think NewsHosting is a much better deal at $15 a month for unlimited and dosent seem to mind splitting either and has just as good a retention and Ive never seen them cap anyone. In the past with GigaNews Ive heard quite a few complaints that heavy users have had their lines capped and when they ask why they are told that theyre unaware and that they dont cap, which it seems they do and then suggest to close their account and offten just close their account. If you decide to go with NewsHosing though dont forget the forums banner above or use our referral link at...

I use EasyNews. I have for a long time. (10GB limit) I have a huge gig bank.
However,I would recommend Newshosting (you kids download such massive amounts ;))

Peace bd

biggulp
07-17-2005, 05:58 AM
I think the easiest way to go for you is NewsHosting.
This can easily be done and is all the time.
As always and dont forget our referral...
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500is that applicable to the unlimited accounts?

RealitY
07-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Yes...

biggulp
07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes...
thanks a lot reality, you've been a great help. how's the reliability of newshosting compared to giganews? how much downtime have users experienced? i've heard giganews have solid uptime altough i don't want to pay a $10 premium.

RealitY
07-18-2005, 05:19 AM
On a very rare occaasion like any they all may have some congestion and slow a little or have a tad of downtime. They both have little downtime and are in the top of payservers. The fact is the extra $10 is a pure waste of money...

chuks
09-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I have been using Newshosting for the past 18 months and have had no problem at all. Unlimited account of cause with my downloed speed at 400kb/s if i am not sharing my network, and 200kb/s if sharing. They are reliable

digitrifecta
09-08-2006, 08:49 PM

Sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. Just my opinion but anyone looking for the best value out of a usenet provider should use Newshosting. I'm lucky enough to have 9.0Mb where I live and Newshosting maxes my pipe with no problems and they have the same or better retention than Giganews when you grab stuff using NZBs.

$15/month with 70+d retention using NZBs = Can't beat that with a stick!

They have a new site also http://www.newshosting.com/NewSite/

shivservant
09-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I've used both newshosting and giganews. Newshosting is great but I let them go since I was having unreliable speeds from their servers, wasn't maxing me out. I have been using giganews since but I don't really download much at all. I did have problems with giganews in the past where they did cap me and would not acknowledge they capped me so then I switched to newshosting and now I am back with giganews only cuz of the retention.

On other note, does anyone in North America use Eweka? I was considering trying them out. What kind of speeds are you getting and etc? Do they accept North American customers? I can't read their site, its all in Dutch :)

digitrifecta
09-12-2006, 10:48 PM
@Shivservant thats really odd that you were having speed issues with Newshosting because they max me out all day long, I get 1.1MB/sec constant, I would check your routes to make sure there isnt a better port you should use before you switch
http://www.newshosting.com/support/util/traceroute/

As far as retention goes, using NZBs GN and Newshosting are the same, Giganews is just more expensive ;)