PDA

View Full Version : Baseball voted out

peat moss
07-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I see two summer sports were voted out of the London Oylmpic games , Softball and Baseball. Why do they keep in stuff like modern pentathlon, but not rugby and others ?

Story : http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/olympics/20050709-9999-1s9oly.html

JPaul
07-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Because modern pentathlon is a competition involving skill and athleticism.

While Baseball / Softball is a kids game.

peat moss
07-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Well I know you can't please everyone but rugby, cricket, lacrosse or karate would be a better fit. I guess its not big in Europe and the costs of building a ball park was excessive.

But try having a summer games with out baseball in the rest of the world. Asia , North America, Austraila, South America woud be a joke.

Rat Faced
07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, Rounders is big in North America.

Only schoolgirls are forced to play it here though, as part of their Physical Ed... :ph34r:

JPaul
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Well I know you can't please everyone but rugby, cricket, lacrosse or karate would be a better fit. I guess its not big in Europe and the costs of building a ball park was excessive.

But try having a summer games with out baseball in the rest of the world. Asia , North America, Austraila, South America woud be a joke.
They wouldn't need to build a ball park.

Just draw a wee triangle on the Lords turf.

It really is because it's a pishy, wee girls game. Nothing to do with building a park.

Rat Faced
07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
And the plans for 2 temporary ball parks in Regents Park were part of the bid..

So i guess we save that money then (and a nice piece of Parkland) :)

peat moss
07-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Silly me I thought the whole idea of hosting a games was the legacy it left . Like parks and road improvments , rinks for the kids the exposure the whole thing gives your country or city. Money alone can't buy that really can it ?

Skiz
07-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I can't stand to watch any of the winter/summer olympics. All of the sports are boring as feck. :sleep1:

JPaul
07-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Silly me I thought the whole idea of hosting a games was the legacy it left .

No, it's the largest multi-national, multi-sport competition held.

I thought everyone knew that.

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Baseball is boring!

Olympics should have Cricket :D

Rat Faced
07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Great...

Pick the one game even MORE boring than Baseball... :blink:

There arent people outside of the commonwealth that even know what Cricket is (Although, for some strange reason there are a couple of teams in California I heard :huh: ) and i'd rather the commonwealth forgot the game tbh :P

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Great...

Pick the one game even MORE boring than Baseball... :blink:

There arent people outside of the commonwealth that even know what Cricket is (Although, for some strange reason there are a couple of teams in California I heard :huh: ) and i'd rather the commonwealth forgot the game tbh :P

LoL Cricket aint boring they Should do a Twenty20 Style Tournament Now that'll be exciting :D
U ever Seen a Twenty20 Match by the way?

JPaul
07-09-2005, 10:24 PM
20/20 is cricket for Americans.

peat moss
07-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I posted a comment about cricket is like watching paint dry. I regret it now our new neighbourhood,thats full of East Indians and Fijians play out back of our house and ask my two sons to join in . It sure is different ,kids are getting a handle on it tho . But as someone said different strokes for different folks. :)

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I posted a comment about cricket is like watching paint dry. I regret it now our new neighbourhood,thats full of East Indians and Fijians play out back of our house and ask my two sons to join in . It sure is different ,kids are getting a handle on it tho . But as someone said different strokes for different folks. :)

LOL @ Different Strokes for Different FOlks lol

Its much better to play cricket well depends on how could u are lol :D

peat moss
07-09-2005, 10:43 PM

LOL @ Different Strokes for Different FOlks lol

Its much better to play cricket well depends on how could u are lol :D

Well I think thats why I like baseball you don't have to be the fastest runner or best pitcher or catcher, but if you can hit the fff thing you can ba a star! :01:

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I Guess u can say the same for every sport

Anyway i gotta go Catch u lot hopefully Tomorrow

Nice talking to ya

peat moss
07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
I Guess u can say the same for every sport

Anyway i gotta go Catch u lot hopefully Tomorrow

Nice talking to ya

You bet, welcome to the forum by the way. :)

mina2
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
cricket sucks and i can't imagine anything more boring i mean what kind of has a game lasts five days and then after all of that they call it draw.

davec8
07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
cricket is like watching paint dry.
That's what I say about nascar all the time but I think it works for cricket too.

This sucks baseball got dropped. I'm a huge baseball fan and really enjoyed watching it this past olympics. Basically, what it comes down to is the european olympic comittee doesn't like baseball, they say they'll save 90 mill. not having to build stadiums, they also say they only want it if the top players are there but know most the top players are juiced up, which they don't want, so there you go. It's out.