PDA

View Full Version : Great Britain Football Team in Olympics?

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Is it Confirmed?

Cus that'll be awesome!

I heard the Scottish aint very Keen Maybe cuz no scottish player will get in lol

Rat Faced
07-09-2005, 10:09 PM
They plan to, however the most likely way to "pick" the team apparently, is for the national teams to play each other... with the winner being called "Great Britain" in the Olympics...

In JP's words..

That would be Pish.

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
They plan to, however the most likely way to "pick" the team apparently, is for the national teams to play each other... with the winner being called "Great Britain" in the Olympics...

In JP's words..

That would be Pish.

I dont think they should do that it wont be a Great Britain Team in sense

We all Know Us ENglish Will win the tournament :D

They SHould Have Trials and best players get picked by a Neautral Manager

peat moss
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
It would be like Canada sending two teams to the Hockey world cup, one french canadein one english speaking. You guys would have a great team tho but at what cost ? Piss the Irish and Scots off.

Edit: Can't forget about the Welsh ! :D

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:20 PM
It would be like Canada sending two teams to the Hockey world cup, one french canadein one english speaking. You guys would have a great team tho but at what cost ? Piss the Irish and Scots off.

We'll feel sorry for the Irish and Let Shay Given Go in Nets for Us

And Also make the Welsh happy by including Ryan Giggs Apart from that no other players are better than the English Side :D

Rat Faced
07-09-2005, 10:22 PM
and best players get picked by a Neautral Manager

Like say Swedish?

Thats a bit harsh...

Thats why a "Tournament" between the national teams would be Pish...

The Welsh and Scottish have some players that would be better than some of the English Players imho ... Just coz their Teams shite, dont mean all the players are :P

The Irish arent part of GB... they have their own Team.. (Or are you refering to Ulster?)

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Oh Yea i Forgot about Republic Of Ireland! They Decent lol

But Northern Ireland They are just SH!T

Guess the English SHould Take Responsibility of being Great Britain eh :D SO That GREAT BRITAIN has a better chance of getting a extra medal lol

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Anyway I betta be going catch ya tomorrow hopfully

nice talking to ya all

manker
07-10-2005, 04:18 PM
It might work okay.

If we worked it on the same principles as the Lions rugby team.

We could even have pre-Olympic friendlies, may as well take it seriously.

Of course, the player's clubs would kick up a fuss but ... that's par for the course and provided the FA and PFA give their backing, it's doable.

Peerzy
07-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, imagine having Duff, Roy Keane and a few others in the England squad :D

manker
07-10-2005, 04:53 PM
It would be a bit tricky putting Irish players in the squad, as RF said, they'll have their own team but I know what you mean.

Giggsy would have had about 100 caps for England by now. They haven't had a decent left winger since McManamanI can't remember England ever having a decent left winger.

Peerzy
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Joe Cole :snooty:

Duff > Giggs

manker
07-10-2005, 05:09 PM
He's not a winger and Duff isn't fit to lace Giggs' boots :lol:

Rat Faced
07-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Arent the Olympics for non-professional athletes these days? :blink:

Sure they used to be for amateurs... :ph34r:

manker
07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Arent the Olympics for non-professional athletes these days? :blink:

Sure they used to be for amateurs... :ph34r:Used to be. At least I believe so.

I can't remember that far back tho' :w00t:

I think the amateur thing has been replaced symbolically by the athletes not getting paid for winning or taking part. It's all for glory.

JPaul
07-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Giggs will be at his peak in 7 years, along with a whole load of the current England and Welsh Squad players.

The Republic of Ireland compete in the Olympics, how could their players play in a Great Britain puntsphere team.

Scotland are shite, we know this and accept it. However England haven't exactly done well reaching major finals in .... decades. You aren't as good as you think chaps. You are at the top level, but you are far from dominating it .

England = Great Players / Underachieving Team.

manker
07-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Maybe it's time to stop accepting it and start changing the structure of Scottish football.

There is no reason why Scotland shouldn't have a competitive team. The tradition is there, all the kids play it, people want to watch it - but the leagues are full with half finished foreigners who can't get a game anywhere else.

The SFA should stop arsing about with pointless alterations to the leagues and start negotiating to get the Glasgow teams in the premiership. Possibly other teams too, in lower leagues.

The existing Scottish leagues could then be a feeding ground for younger players to ply their trade before getting a move to one of the six or seven bigger clubs that play in the English leagues.

Wales have never had a competent governing body, nor clubs that have the financial power or consistently high class playing personel that you have in Glasgow. Also there's a much smaller potential player base here.

Sure, it would be a knock to national pride in the short term but it would definitely benefit the national team.

JPaul
07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Actually we have a lot of good young players coming thro'. Celtic and rangers have decent youth policies in place and are starting to bring some lads thro'. I think this will continue, as they see it as the best way forward without the spending of mad (for us) money

I agree the best thing that could happen to the national team would be to get rid of Celtic and rangers, then the other clubs could develop their youth without having to try to compete in battles they couldn't win.

A few seem to be trying that with some success. However it is inevitable that Celtic and Rangers snap those lads up. However if they continue to develop that isn't really a problem, from a National team perspective.

I think our National Team will start to improve, there is certainly some good potential there. Walter Smith just has to give the young boys a chance.

brotherdoobie
07-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Meh, Brazille in a route.

Peace bd :ph34r:

manker
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I think that is the problem, smaller teams are getting these older foreign players in an effort to compete with the Glasgow clubs, in doing so denying a chance for younger players to develop their own careers.

The two joining the English league has been talked about ever since I can remember. There always seems to be some problem or other to prevent it, more is the pity. It would also be good from an English football fan's point of view - as it would if Cardiff can sort themselves out and make a proper push for promotion.

Cross border rivalry is something that could only enhance the Premiership.

I think it would be better for the national team if other Scottish teams also had the chance to play their soccer in England but getting Celtic and rangers* there is paramount.

*Jockish grammar, apparently ;)

Peerzy
07-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Joe Cole's a winger, the last 3 games he's played Left Wing for England :blink:

Gigg's isn't fit to watch someone lace Duff's boots :snooty:

manker
07-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Gigg's isn't fit to watch someone lace Duff's boots :snooty:That's only 'cos there's no bugger else to play there, Joe Cole is a midfielder.

Not even addressing your Giggs disparager :snooty:

tralalala
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Aye it's a nice idea, but I think it shouldn't happen because this is what will go on if it's accepted:

Out of the whole 22 squad, 12 will be English, 4 from Northern Ireland, maybe 4 Welsh and 2 Scots.

This will cause even more dispute between the nations of the United Kingdom, and although I think it's a very nice idea, I don't think it should happen..

Rat Faced
07-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I can think of a few English Players i'd rather not have in the squad, if i could have; as an example, an "On Form" Belamy...

JPaul
07-10-2005, 08:19 PM
*Jockish grammar, apparently ;)
http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/01a.gif

It is for me's particliar sub-culture

Peerzy
07-10-2005, 08:40 PM

Gigg's isn't fit to watch someone lace Duff's boots :snooty:That's only 'cos there's no bugger else to play there, Joe Cole is a midfielder.

Yes, Joe Cole is a midfielder who can play Left/Right and Centre. Giggs can play Left midfield and so on :unsure:

manker
07-10-2005, 09:11 PM
That's only 'cos there's no bugger else to play there, Joe Cole is a midfielder.

Yes, Joe Cole is a midfielder who can play Left/Right and Centre. Giggs can play Left midfield and so on :unsure:I expect Giggsy can play in goal too, for 5-a-side and that.

However, he is a left winger. Not like that Joe Cole, 'cos he's a midfielder.

manker
07-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Duno what's going on with my posts :huh:

Fake Shemp
07-11-2005, 12:28 AM
In the real world (ie out of the puntsphere world) we count as one nation afaik. How come we have gotten away with 4 international teams in puntsphere for so long? I like it that way but if someone had wanted to reduce us to just a UK team there seems to be a good argument there.

Perhaps because there is a seperate league for each team? But then that gets confused with Swansea, Cardiff, Berwick, Wimbledon...

Or is it because we invented the game, it's our ball and we'll take it home if you disagree with us?

maebach
07-11-2005, 03:09 AM
are we forgetting beckham?

Peerzy
07-11-2005, 07:33 AM

Yes, for a very good reason :lol:

manker
07-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Yes, for a very good reason :lol:Yeah, I think we were on about left wingers and the Olympics ... he's a right sided midfielder who'll be about 53 by the time the Landan Olympics come around :huh:

I only mentioned Giggs cos I :wub: him.

manker
07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
In the real world (ie out of the puntsphere world) we count as one nation afaik. How come we have gotten away with 4 international teams in puntsphere for so long? I like it that way but if someone had wanted to reduce us to just a UK team there seems to be a good argument there.

Perhaps because there is a seperate league for each team? But then that gets confused with Swansea, Cardiff, Berwick, Wimbledon...

Or is it because we invented the game, it's our ball and we'll take it home if you disagree with us?That's a good point, I have no idea.

In some sports it's Great Britain, like athletics, and in others it's separate, like proper rugby.*

And some, like rugby league, it's both separate and together, depending on the weather or something - Plus in cricket we're called England even though it's a Great Britain team :blink:

*Hang on, it's separate in athletics if it's the Commonwealth Games and together in rugby if it's a Lions tour :wacko:

Peerzy
07-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, for a very good reason :lol:Yeah, I think we were on about left wingers and the Olympics ... he's a right sided midfielder who'll be about 53 by the time the Landan Olympics come around :huh:

I only mentioned Giggs cos I :wub: him.

Duff looks teh seckzy before he starts running arround.

Lampard looks seckzy all teh time :01:

Ronaldo looks like a poof :ph34r:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/noje/0503/27/NOJE-27s00-ronaldo-37.jpg

DarthInsinuate
07-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Ronaldo looks like a poof :ph34r:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/noje/0503/27/NOJE-27s00-ronaldo-37.jpg
he's also got that 'There's Something About Mary' thing going on

RioDeLeo
07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Or is it because we invented the game, it's our ball and we'll take it home if you disagree with us?

Yes, sort of, but not the ball bit.

It's because we 'invented' the game, in fact we set the rules, the Chinese played a football type game thousands of years ago.

The reason Britain refuses to take part in the Olympics is so as not to set a precedent, and lose their four places.

This begs the question; in the event of a united Europe as a single state, would they then be entitled to only one team? The USA has 50 states, what if they all wanted their own team, like Europe?

JPaul
07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Didn't Great Britain compete in the last London Olympics (at puntsphere obviously).

Barbarossa
07-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Didn't Great Britain compete in the last London Olympics (at puntsphere obviously).

Later than that...

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2004/03/Wembley_Olympic_bid.htm

JPaul
07-12-2005, 05:21 PM

Later than that...

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2004/03/Wembley_Olympic_bid.htm
1972, I would never have guessed that.

So there's recent precedent, well recent for someone my age.

manker
07-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Although the Welsh, Northern Irish and English Football Associations have signalled their willingness to join forces, the Scots remain against the plan. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4701575.stm)Teh fook for :blink:

JPaul
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Although the Welsh, Northern Irish and English Football Associations have signalled their willingness to join forces, the Scots remain against the plan. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4701575.stm)Teh fook for :blink:
Feck sake manker, did you not think to look on the Clissold Swimming Club (http://www.clissoldswimmingclub.org.uk/newsItems/departments/olympicNews) web page.

It's all there if you care to look

IN A snub to the FA, SFA bosses are to insist that Scotland will be the only home nation not to be included in a British Olympic football team. London is one of the favourites to host the 2012 Olympics, and Hampden will hold some of the key matches in the football event.

FA chiefs want to enter a British team at the event for the first time since 1960. So now FIFA will consider a proposal for the British Olympic side to comprise players from only England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The SFA have always been against the British-select proposal in case it threatens the case for four separate United Kingdom footballing nations.

A spokesman said: "Our identity as a footballing nation is Scotland. We have discussed a British Olympic team in the past, but it has been turned down. There was no interest."

FA spokesman Adrian Bevington has revealed they would be happy to help enter a team - even if no Scottish players are included. He said: "We would hope FIFA look upon such a proposal favourably.

I've learned this from BD.

manker
07-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Cheers!

However, that's a pish source. They say the last time that a UK team entered was in 1960 but on the FA website (http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2004/03/Wembley_Olympic_bid.htm) that colinmac (who is now bizarrely known as Barbarella :blink: ) posted it clearly states that the last time was 1972.

I've learned this research thing from teh lynx.

Rat Faced
07-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Barbarella was on teh Eastern Front? :blink:

Barbarossa
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM

Great! So I guess we can put forward a full-strength team then!? :pinch:

EDIT: BarbaROSSA :angry:

JPaul
07-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Teh fook for :blink:

Great! So I guess we can put forward a full-strength team then!? :pinch:

EDIT: BarbaROSSA :angry:
Absolutement,

In the best traditions of the recent Lions tour.

We can get a Scot to coach the midweek games tho'. That seems to work well.

manker
07-21-2005, 09:56 AM
SAF thinks that Darren Fletcher will be teh roka in 2012.

@Barbie - sorry mate, but you just know that it's going to be Barbarella from now on :P

MCHeshPants420
07-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Why has Barbie had a sex-change? :blink:

JPaul
07-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Why has barbie had a sex-change? :blink:
She must have got in touch with her feminine side.

Barbarossa
07-21-2005, 11:37 AM

(Note to self - Really didn't think this thru' properly) :ermm:

I feel a lounge thread coming on... :shutup:

JPaul
07-21-2005, 12:50 PM

(Note to self - Really didn't think this thru' properly) :ermm:

I feel a lounge thread coming on... :shutup:
:lol:

mina2
07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
who cares no scottish player will get in the great britain team anyway.

manker
07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
who cares no scottish player will get in the great britain team anyway.In 2012? It might be true at the moment but in seven years time, Scotland may have an excellent team.

Also, that's not really the point. The 2012 Olympics is a British affair and it would be in keeping with the Olympic spirit to be able to draw upon players of all the home countries for the British football team.

JPaul
07-26-2005, 09:44 AM
who cares no scottish player will get in the great britain team anyway.

I agree, there is no prospect of their being a decent Scottish player in the next 7 years. Same with Northern Ireland I would have thought.

So an England and Wales Team it is.

manker
07-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Bah! Scrooge McBannockburn :dry:

Barbarossa
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM

is HE any good then? :unsure:

manker
07-26-2005, 10:04 AM

is HE any good then? :unsure:I always liked the cut of his jib but Peerzy says that 'he still runs with his head down at the ball and has ittle to no awareness of where anyone is'.

:(

JPaul
07-26-2005, 10:20 AM
is HE any good then? :unsure:I always liked the cut of his jib but Peerzy says that 'he still runs with his head down at the ball and has ittle to no awareness of where anyone is'.

:(
That sadly is about the size of it.