PDA

View Full Version : Going to London

sArA
07-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Taking my daughter to London tomorrow, its been arranged for weeks.

Still, its been a tricky one explaining that its probably safer now than before and she should not let terrorism stop us from living our lives as we would like.

She is 12 and understands, but there is always a little seed of fear in the pit of the stomach, (we both feel it) because we know we are going to where the bombs went off, and will be using trains and the underground...perhaps even a bus...

This is the power of terrorism..its not that it stops you from doing things, it merely takes away some of the pleasure and replaces it with fear...not much, but enough to take away the shine....

Snee
07-12-2005, 12:02 AM
This is prolly not a good time to mention that that's where gemby lives as well.

'cos that is really scary.

And I hope you have fun, of course.

*goddess*
07-12-2005, 12:08 AM
:) G'luck Sara, I hope you and your daughter have a good day which will maybe bring back a lil of the shine.

I don't know that I could do it myself, not because of the fear, I agree with you tis probly safer now..... just it would be so unutterably sad to see the devastation.

Jon L. Obscene
07-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Good for you Sara, thats exactly the kind of free life we've been talking about in other threads.
Yes the thought floats about, but they can't stop us doing what we want and never will.
You go and have a grand time, take some pics and shove them British smiles in the faces of guttless wonders. :01:

@Mr.S .......That was cruel :dry:

Jonno :cool:

Busyman
07-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Taking my daughter to London tomorrow, its been arranged for weeks.

Still, its been a tricky one explaining that its probably safer now than before and she should not let terrorism stop us from living our lives as we would like.

She is 12 and understands, but there is always a little seed of fear in the pit of the stomach, (we both feel it) because we know we are going to where the bombs went off, and will be using trains and the underground...perhaps even a bus...

This is the power of terrorism..its not that it stops you from doing things, it merely takes away some of the pleasure and replaces it with fear...not much, but enough to take away the shine....
Yup I remember after 9/11, it was probably the best time to fly.

Enjoy the trip.

Gripper
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Good luck with the trip,I would say a little paranoia is good at the moment,just keep clear of any un attended packages,when we had the problem with the IRA we didn't let it stop us,once again enjoy yourselves

Barbarossa
07-12-2005, 01:29 PM
You've picked a lovely day for it! Enjoy yourselves, London is beautiful in the sunshine :)

JPaul
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Enjoy your trip and have an ace day with your daughter.

Peerzy
07-12-2005, 03:08 PM
The only thing you have to worry about in London is DanB :lol:

DanB
07-12-2005, 07:38 PM
The only thing you have to worry about in London is DanB :lol:

Oi! :angry:

Afronaut
07-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Is/was this the audition trip for daughter?
If so, best of luck.

And have fun, and ice cream, cold drinks, enjoy this hellish summer weather, hehe...
(watch out for dan thought...)
:lol:

sArA
07-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Finally arrived home at midnight!

What a day!!!!

First we just had to go and do a spot of shopping on Oxford Street, and got a funky new top for Nu... :D

Then off to the audition, they were (I think) impressed, and said that they wanted her to be auditioned again by the head boss bloke....(hmmm...the old call back thing? :dry: We shall see I guess....)

After that it was back to Oxford Street and then walked down to Piccadilly Circus, then to Trafalgar Square and the obligatory piccies by the Lions etc.

Then we walked down towards Big Ben, saw Downing Street, Westminster, and all the 'Seat of Government' stuff....

Next on to the London Eye for an amazing view of London....

We then walked back over the bridge that used to wobble and doesn't now, and caught a bus back up to Oxford Street, to look for a restaurant. Found a nice Italian place opposite the London Palladium. 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' is on at the moment. Nu ate more than me! She is only 12 and small for her age. (The bus drivers certainly believed she was under 11 much to her chagrin :lol: )

It was after the meal that we thought we really ought to go and catch the train back.

That was when the 'fun' started..... :dry:

Got to St Pancras Station to find it shut due to problems with dodgy cars being blown up in controlled explosions at Luton :pinch: so we were sent to Kings Cross....

We were told there, that we would need to get various trains and buses and it would take about 4 hours to get home, except what they really meant was, they could suggest how we could get back to Bedford...which is still an hour or so from home....its 9pm by now and it usually takes just a few hours.

The Information Desk chappie suggested that we could get almost home to Nuneaton if we went to Euston Station...so off we went...to find that if we had known, we could have got all the way back to Hinckley, but that we had missed it by 10 mins.... :angry:

Finally board a train to Nuneaton at 10pm...expecting a minimum 15 quid taxi ride to Hinckley and then the drive home.... (Bf offered to pick us up but he had to be up at 4 for a 12+ hour shift so I said no..)

Arrive at Nuneaton at 11.40 where the nice train manager chappie got us a free cab back to pick up my car!!! (Which was nice :))

A day to remember. :wacko:

:)

sArA
07-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Glad all was well in the end, Sara.

What sort of audition are we speaking of?

Nu sings.... :)

Basically it was for a mangement company that do development deals (they were running open auditions)....and I hasten to add that we did it for the experience and the day trip to London as much as anything. I have no intention of doing the 'stage mom' bit and will let her follow her own path, it was her decision completely. In fact this was her first ever audition and she has never had a singing lesson...but she is gooood, and not in any kind of squeeky 'my boy lollipop' kind of way :lol: