PDA

View Full Version : Will Permanant Marker Affect Cd?

StrongislanD
04-11-2003, 01:54 AM
I have been burning cd's for quite some time now and have been labeling them with black permanant marker- Will this affect the cd in the long run? Can it damage the data? I am marking them on top- Please let me know if this can be problematic down the road-Thanks

StrongislanD
04-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Sorry i put in the wrong section- i thought I clicked on the hardware section-
please transfer me- again I am sorry

mcrosby
04-11-2003, 01:59 AM
In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers. :-)

jay973
04-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Ive been marking mine with marker pen for a few years now and it hasnt done mine any harm(yet!).
Lets hope no-one posts saying otherwise or else my collection is done :D for.

Edit:just seen mcrosbys post and now im worried.lol

kAb
04-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by mcrosby@10 April 2003 - 17:59
In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers. :-)
horny eh? hehe.

well, i don't think the permanent marker would affect the top of the cd, the information is on the bottom.

RPerry
04-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by mcrosby@11 April 2003 - 00:59
your saying the chemicals can bleed through the cd??

mcrosby
04-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Yes, I'm saying exactly that - even if its not true (which it is!) its better to be safe than sorry. :-)

StrongislanD
04-11-2003, 02:13 AM
I hope to god this is not the case, because i have over 500 cds marked in black permanant marker. I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood) but time tells another story.

jay973
04-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Do you have any documentational evidence of your reply mrcrosby, a weblink etc?
Its just that StrongislanD and I really would like to know either way for sure.
I do not disbelieve you, its just that we need definite answers because there are cds at stake.

mcrosby
04-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Of course it depends on exactly the chemical that would affect it - I used to mark my CDs with markers but found problems after time.

EnJoi
04-11-2003, 02:20 AM
ya sharpie duznt do nothin

ooo
04-11-2003, 02:22 AM
i print out little strips of paper and tape it on... my friend broke of my cds tho... he said it was running too quick then he pulled off tape and the cd came off... :/ didnt work afterwards

jay973
04-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Im seriously considering buying cd labels from now on.It'll save all the hassle for relatively little extra cost.I gotta stop being so tight! :D

technonrgkid
04-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Cd's dont cost that much anyway. but if you have a big colletion it does add up.

I JUST bought three markers, and funny this pops up lol
i have some cd label kits. But i thought it be alot easier also to get a few markers. I'll chance it, no big thing im worried about.were talking some serious time it seems before they will mess up. got cd's giving to me that are marked, but no prob yet. i dont think it's THAT big of a deal, unless you get some serious toxic type of marker.

But i know for certain to NOT EVER try to use GLUE! lmao.

I did and cd stopped working soo quick.
silly kid! :blink:

Rip The Jacker
04-11-2003, 04:50 AM
I've been using a permanant marker to write on my CD's even since I got my computer, never a single problem. I don't have those sticker things, and when I used a regular marker it would just smear right off....

CornerPocket
04-11-2003, 12:46 PM
My opinion I think not. I, (like someone else who's been doing it for 5 yrs on this page discussion Is it safe to write on the top of a CD-R disk with a "Sharpie" Pen (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001xXL)) have been doing it since the stone age of cd-r drives, back when they 1st appeared as what 4x no prob for me thus far. I still use some of those cdrs made back then. There's those that say "yes it does" and those that say "no it does not". Somewhat of a catch 22 issue, maybe it will, maybe it won't.

EDIT:
CD-R FAQ (http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html)

ooo
04-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by technonrgkid@11 April 2003 - 05:23
Cd's dont cost that much anyway. but if you have a big colletion it does add up.

I JUST bought three markers, and funny this pops up lol
i have some cd label kits. But i thought it be alot easier also to get a few markers. I'll chance it, no big thing im worried about.were talking some serious time it seems before they will mess up. got cd's giving to me that are marked, but no prob yet. i dont think it's THAT big of a deal, unless you get some serious toxic type of marker.

But i know for certain to NOT EVER try to use GLUE! lmao.

I did and cd stopped working soo quick.
silly kid! :blink:
yes label kits are nice but their so expensive! lol.... i just go to microsoft word >> write up the title >> and copy and paste the icon :P thatz a cd label for me... taping it on the cd of course :P

glue doesnt seem smart anywayz lol

Nightwolf
04-12-2003, 12:49 AM
There is no way a marker will hurt either the disc or the drive. A stick-on label, however, could fly off and get lodged inside your drive. Besides, if you weren't supposed to write on them, why do most CD-R's have blank lines on them?

Skillian
04-12-2003, 03:05 AM
What the hell is a "sharpie"? :blink:

mobboss01
04-12-2003, 03:18 AM
In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers.

You sound like you sell these over priced pens. :D

Just kidding, but those stickers suck. If the player gets hot, the CD may (has happened to me, not cool) stick in the damn player.

RPerry
04-12-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2003 - 02:05
What the hell is a "sharpie"? :blink:
Sharpie is a name brand of a permenant marker, guess you didn't see Terrel Owens famous touchdown :lol:

Fatal Error
04-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by StrongislanD@10 April 2003 - 22:13
I hope to god this is not the case, because i have over 500 cds marked in black permanant marker. I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood) but time tells another story.
I've also been marking my CD's with permanent markers for years.. I never had any problem. I use "Sharpie".. but I dont think it matters. ;)

ooo
04-12-2003, 07:00 PM
sharpie -- pernament marker.... lololz... i use em too... for non important stuff...

Spindulik
04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Soul814@12 April 2003 - 20:00
sharpie -- pernament marker.... lololz... i use em too... for non important stuff...
I use SHARPIEs to acid etch circuit boards. Sharpies are acid-resistant.

A marker can affect a CDR, that is, if you mark the wrong side of the CDR, which I have done before.

ooo
04-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik+14 April 2003 - 21:16--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 14 April 2003 - 21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Soul814@12 April 2003 - 20:00
I use SHARPIEs to acid etch circuit boards. Sharpies are acid-resistant.

A marker can affect a CDR, that is, if you mark the wrong side of the CDR, which I have done before. [/b][/quote]
lol... u mean the cds that are shiny on both sides? lolz.... yea those are hard to tell but if you burn on it then you will be able to see... since if you tilt the cd you will cd lines...

harrycary
04-15-2003, 12:15 AM
I agree that a marker cannot affect a CD. Unless it was a very poorly made one(e.g. to thin a substrate/alminum inside the disc). If you hold a CD-R to the light and see light, throw it/them out.

A piece of advice for those using CD-Rs in car stereos and CD players with a slot loading mechanism. Using labels is a bad idea because of the roller mechanism that pulls the CD in. Labels interfere with that mechanism. I&#39;ve seen alot of stuck CDs resulting in expensive repairs.

mcrosby
12-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Ultimate answer:

If there is any possibility what so ever that the marker could kill the disk and the data on the disk is important to you, then don&#39;t use markers.

Many brands have a guarantee on their disks - read what the guarantee does not cover, and don&#39;t do those things.

At the end of the day, if your data is important, then don&#39;t risk it.