PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn 5203 Screenshots

Afronaut
07-12-2005, 07:33 AM
http://www.jcxp.net/lh_5203_shots/shots/lh3.jpg
http://www.jcxp.net/lh_5203_shots/shots/lh11.jpg
Edited by rossco...added spoiler tags because teh images are so big.

... for more click the link:

Longhorn 5203 Screenshots Gallery (http://www.jcxp.net/lh_5203_shots/).

It looks more like an SP3 for XP.
To call it a new OS is over reacting and hype given what has been removed allready imo. I talk about the filesystem etc...

(I take the liberty to change me opinion when I got it installed and no, im not a betatester)
:lol:

I mean, I thought there's going to be some major changes on the way it looks,
like, from win98 to XP, maybe I was expecting too much.

It just has a new theme which I have lotsa too.

The real question is, ofcourse, what's under the hood, how does it behave...
:D

What do I know, I dont follow up on Longhorn progress, just found these
screenies and thought folks here like ot take a peek.

:)

cow_dung
07-12-2005, 09:21 AM
woah! is this a theme? can i download this somewhere ? it looks awesome!

Hanz™
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Actually to me that looks really different...
It is obviously not a theme, because of the transparency effects and what-not...

Looks bulky though, I think I prefer the themes on deviantart to be honest...

Snee
07-12-2005, 12:38 PM
The transparency is nice.

It looks a bit you see the stuff behind windows as if you are watching them through frosted glass. And the frames have no colour, either.

That's nicer than any transparency I've seen with say, the nvidia drivers.

Valentino
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
The first thing I do when I install Windows XP, is to disable all themes etc. and use classic Windows style. I hope this will still be possible in the next version.

tesco
07-13-2005, 04:12 PM
It's not just the theme and effects.
There are also new fancy things like
virtual folders (dynamic folder, it searched your whole harddrive for a keyword and displays all files from that keyword that are found as if they were always in that one folder)
Search your startmenu (:P)
Built in RSS
Desktop search - Search for anything on your computer (emails, files, even on the web) all from one program, and it displays those instantly.

probly mroe but that's all i heard of so far.
There are a lot of little thigngs changed, i think it will be a lot different than windows xp.

Peerzy
07-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Personally im liking the way Longhorn is going. The OS itself is fine, and does what it needs to do, no real need to overhall it, but the visuals on XP although being much better than 98 still leave alot to the imagination.

Snee
07-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Personally im liking the way Longhorn is going. The OS itself is fine, and does what it needs to do, no real need to overhall it, but the visuals on XP although being much better than 98 still leave alot to the imagination.
What, 'cos it has too much clothes on? :blink:

BawA
07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
It looks more like an SP3 for XP.
To call it a new OS is over reacting and hype given what has been removed allready imo. I talk about the filesystem etc...

what u think was from 98 to ME or NT, they were new OS altho everything looked same, what am trying to say is that new doesnt mean totally diffrent. anyhow i see too much diffrences... folder explorer seems to be changed entirly.
in longhorn case thier using same xp theme in thier beta stages, it supposed to be changed and yet in early stages there r many diffrence, u can find it out if u try it.
and next time please try to use thumps not full size image :frusty:

Afronaut
07-13-2005, 05:39 PM
So comes the Longhorn, and after that we get SP3.
Im thinking the looks on both are not really that different.

Well, im just guessing here, wtf do I know, really.

:lol:

Peerzy
07-13-2005, 05:49 PM
What, 'cos it has too much clothes on? :blink:

I like my OS fully clothed thank you. No illigal OS pr0n for me :snooty:

peat moss
07-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Read something awhile back about three different visual settings can't find it now but here's the gist .

The Longhorn desktop is being drawn in a completely different way than all previous versions. Every window will have its own, full window-sized surface to draw to. The desktop will be dynamically composed many times a second from the contents of each window. The goal for desktop composition is to enable compelling new visual effects for both the Windows user interface and for applications created by third-party developers shown on increasingly affordable high-density displays.

The Longhorn Display Driver Model allows for the visual effects seen on a user's desktop to scale relative to the available graphics hardware. For example, the experience of viewing Longhorn on hardware with capabilities equivalent to a high end DirectX® 9-compliant graphics chip will be much richer than Longhorn displayed on baseline legacy graphics hardware.

For Longhorn, graphics requirements for desktop experiences are defined in relation to differentiated experiences:

Aero Glass experience: Delivers the full-fidelity Longhorn user experience on the desktop, including support for 3D graphics and animation.

Aero experience: Delivers the minimum hardware acceleration and desktop composition for the Longhorn user experience.

Classic experience: Equivalent to Windows 2000 capabilities, using software rendering.