PDA

View Full Version : New to the game.. little help?

aanymaa
07-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Hello peoples :D...You've got another noob on your hands !
Now i'm not completely new to p2p , having used K-lite for a couple years and Limewire for some time now as well. I'm feeling completely lost however, standing well out of the safe, comfy K-zone and looking into the huge world of hashing, leeching, and even bittorrent ( like, for all I know there all the same thing, thats how new(bish) I am :lookaroun .) So hears my question ... WHERE DO I START !?!? (sorry, a bit aggrivated :frusty: ) Seriously though , I need a good all-in-one tut. for complete noobs who dont even have the terminology down yet. Something that will explain everything from what utilties you need to get started, to what verified links, hash links, leeching spots actually are, to how in gods name you use them, so on and so forth. I basically dont know shite and need someplace to start. So any help in that department is beautiful and much appreciated in advance :) .
Now, before i get flamed into oblivion, let it be known I went through the stickies but didnt see anything that seemed to be an all-in-one guide for noobs... everything looked more itemized. I searched a bit as well but couldlnt seem to find what im looking for so... little help? :blushing:
Alright, thats a good start... any help is again much appreciated :)

p.s. This all got started when I tried to find an old space sim called 'freelancer' but had no luck on KL or LW, so , at the suggestion of a bud , started looking into direct sharing. The links Ive found, however, have no real explanation on how they're to used so here I am... damn I loved that game ! :cry:

dodgy368
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Hello peoples :D...You've got another noob on your hands !
Now i'm not completely new to p2p , having used K-lite for a couple years and Limewire for some time now as well. I'm feeling completely lost however, standing well out of the safe, comfy K-zone and looking into the huge world of hashing, leeching, and even bittorrent ( like, for all I know there all the same thing, thats how new(bish) I am :lookaroun .) So hears my question ... WHERE DO I START !?!? (sorry, a bit aggrivated :frusty: ) Seriously though , I need a good all-in-one tut. for complete noobs who dont even have the terminology down yet. Something that will explain everything from what utilties you need to get started, to what verified links, hash links, leeching spots actually are, to how in gods name you use them, so on and so forth. I basically dont know shite and need someplace to start. So any help in that department is beautiful and much appreciated in advance :) .
Now, before i get flamed into oblivion, let it be known I went through the stickies but didnt see anything that seemed to be an all-in-one guide for noobs... everything looked more itemized. I searched a bit as well but couldlnt seem to find what im looking for so... little help? :blushing:
Alright, thats a good start... any help is again much appreciated :)

p.s. This all got started when I tried to find an old space sim called 'freelancer' but had no luck on KL or LW, so , at the suggestion of a bud , started looking into direct sharing. The links Ive found, however, have no real explanation on how they're to used so here I am... damn I loved that game ! :cry:

You're asking for way too much info for a noob, it'll addle ya brain.:P

Tell us what type of stuff you want to d/l and we'll try to point you in the right direction for the best d/l client(and sites) for each category.:)

aanymaa
07-12-2005, 11:47 PM
You're asking for way too much info for a noob, it'll addle ya brain.:P

heheh ... oh it's already addled, muddled, and befuddled to boot lol :P ...
DL'ing games is the main issue Im lookin to work out currently ( specifically a game called "freelancer" .)I love KL and LW for music and shows but dont really trust'em for games anymore so I need to learn these other ways of sharing. I've explored some of the "verified" links , but havent come across an explanation on how to use them so ... I suppose thats a good place to start :D ... and thanks for the quick response mang :w00t:

sArA
07-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Imo...I think a good place to start is Emule, it is an all in one program, and is easy to use. It is slow to start with and waiting times are long, but once you start to share more, your speeds will increase. :)

It is particularly good for rare stuff :)

I found 71 hits for freelancer in the search.

Check out the emule section for more info.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f42-eDonkey_&_eMule.html

aanymaa
07-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Imo...I think a good place to start is Emule, it is an all in one program, and is easy to use. It is slow to start with and waiting times are long, but once you start to share more, your speeds will increase. :)

Cool thanks for the tip :) . I've read through all the FAQ's and poured over the site itself ... only question I cant find an answer to is whether or not theres any spyware in it like Kazaa ? Dont wanna DL 'til I'm sure. Anyone ?

lmao :lol: nevermind nevermind ... Im blind .. or tired :lookaroun ... sorry lol ... I'll direct future questions about other stuff to their own post's :)

kazaa2002
07-13-2005, 02:52 AM

Cool thanks for the tip :) . I've read through all the FAQ's and poured over the site itself ... only question I cant find an answer to is whether or not theres any spyware in it like Kazaa ? Dont wanna DL 'til I'm sure. Anyone ?

lmao :lol: nevermind nevermind ... Im blind .. or tired :lookaroun ... sorry lol ... I'll direct future questions about other stuff to their own post's :)

where to start:
Google is your friend...and can get you started
Read the threads
we will help, but you ask many questions on many things
try to stay with a selected area, then move on to another.
Newbie Requests Advice- FileSharing Talk (http://t96208.html)

What is the best file sharing route to take?- FileSharing Talk (http://t94653.html)
What DL Programs are people using these days?- FileSharing Talk (http://t96521.html)

peat moss
07-13-2005, 04:52 AM
I read your post with a big grin , like a kid in a candy shop ! :) Emule is good as Sara says. Post many questions we need the exercise , in a week you'll be the one answering new members posts . :happy:

aanymaa
07-13-2005, 05:45 AM
I did pick up e-mule and followed all the guides and tuts. I could find for setting up the prefferences in the most rewarding fashion. Seems user friendly enough, even for scrubs :happy: . Im gonna have to figure out what firewall is the best one,( had a bad experience tryin to install Kerio right now, had to restore to yesterday because it messed up my connection for a couple hours somehow :angry: ) but I'll work it out I'm sure :P . Course , once I do, then its on to what the hell those .bin files I'm DL'ing are and what in God's name I'm supposed to do with them once I got them :pinch: . heheheh, always something new :rolleyes: . I found tuts. a plenty on that subject though, and am confident I'll figure it out when I need to so dont think I'm fishin'. ;)
And thanks for the encouragement, though, answering questions in a week may be putting a bit more faith in me than I deserve :P . However , whatever knowledge you guys do bestow I'll be eager to give back so... you can indeed count on me working you guys out over the next few weeks ;) .
The :01: super-noob :01: thanks you all again !

Afronaut
07-13-2005, 07:27 AM
.bin files comes together with .cue files, they are sort of image files like .iso .img and the sorts (in some cases, .cue file is not needed, read the guide on the link below)

.cue files are "mounted" with software like Alcohol or Daemon and the likes,
in virtual CD/DVD rom drive where you could possibly burn or use them as is.

for burning programs, check the Nero, its awsome and lotsa ppl uses it.

here's (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83823) one of our own guides about image files, good place to start atleast...

:)

aanymaa
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Little update ... I got it :01: !!!! ... got the Bin from LW ... broke it down with Izarc ... burned with Alcohol ... VOILA :D !!! ... thanks for all the help and direction peoples ... now ... how do I do everything else ?!?!?!? (jk :P )
Thanks again ... :01: SuperNoob :01: out !

Eclectic_Loner
07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm another noob. Seems better to add to this topic then make another newb/noob topic.

Anyway I'm looking particularly for anime series. (right now specifically Nadesico)

I've tried Emule/LW/BT/DC++ (still don't get how it works)/Ares/KL (not anymore)

I still have Emule and BT and DC++

BT dl is a bit slow because of few seeds so I was hoping to search somewhere else and Emule so I tried DC++ after reading up on the guide here. Got it going but I don't understand how the hubs work.

Is there some sort of search option for each hubs? That's definitely alot to search for.

maebach
07-26-2005, 03:47 AM
I've never even heard of Nadesico, there must be a good anime torrent site.

GepperRankins
07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
here's a BT quick guide

download and install azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php) then run it

set your upload speed to 15k

go to tools > options > connection and change "incoming TCP listen port" to "16881"

now go to the pirate bay (http://thepiratebay.org) and search for the file you want

pick a result with a seed/seeds

check the nfo and comments if you can be bothered

open the torrent in azureus and choose to save whatever you're downloading like you would if it were any other download

i didn't quite get if you've got BT working in this thread :lookaroun

Eclectic_Loner
07-27-2005, 02:55 AM
I've already read the guide about boosting BT and have got azureus prior to this (sorry for not clarifying this)

The only thing I didn't do that you have posted above is change the upload speed. What does that do or let me rephrase: Does decreasing the upload limit increase the download speed?

Ironically pirate bay doesn't have nadesico based from my search right now. As far as I know there is only one nadesico file torrent out there (consisting of the ACTUAL series as opposed to manga scans and mp3s for the anime)

I got the torrent from isohunt search and demonoid and both are the same file. I'm not quite sure about the ones at torrentreactor (never used it anymore for torrents. I get alot of torrents that have no seeds there nowadays) as well as mininova. Nevertheless the file still seems to match with the one torrent file I've searched for. (basically all the nadesico torrent files regarding to the series is in ogm format)

Anyway while tweaking the port to speed up dl does work, the problem is that the entire torrent file is 6 gigs. I was hoping if there were other nadesico files that can be downloaded individually. (1 episode = 1 dl like in most p2p files provided in LW, Kazaa, etc.)

Anyway Emule does have those files individually but it's confusing. (I see alot of french sub something plus apparently the first episode is unavailable)

Based from what I've read, DC ++ and Mirc are better places to get files that are requested or something. Never really know how to work both out yet.

Mirc I haven't tried yet while DC ++ have loads of hubs that I don't know where to find although I have read alot from people that use DC ++ that it is great for looking up rare or specific files. Problem is there's no search thingy of sorts to look for and I end up having to go from hub to hub with no idea of how to view files or what files are in each hub. (Not to mention that the format is very chat room/mirc looking)

freak
07-27-2005, 06:55 PM
BT is the way to go IMO... Emule and limewire can be good at times aswell

Rizindon
07-27-2005, 09:56 PM
we seem to be gettin a lot of noobs these days lol... do u tink its the advertising of illegal downloading lol....

GepperRankins
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I've already read the guide about boosting BT and have got azureus prior to this (sorry for not clarifying this)

The only thing I didn't do that you have posted above is change the upload speed. What does that do or let me rephrase: Does decreasing the upload limit increase the download speed?

Ironically pirate bay doesn't have nadesico based from my search right now. As far as I know there is only one nadesico file torrent out there (consisting of the ACTUAL series as opposed to manga scans and mp3s for the anime)

I got the torrent from isohunt search and demonoid and both are the same file. I'm not quite sure about the ones at torrentreactor (never used it anymore for torrents. I get alot of torrents that have no seeds there nowadays) as well as mininova. Nevertheless the file still seems to match with the one torrent file I've searched for. (basically all the nadesico torrent files regarding to the series is in ogm format)

Anyway while tweaking the port to speed up dl does work, the problem is that the entire torrent file is 6 gigs. I was hoping if there were other nadesico files that can be downloaded individually. (1 episode = 1 dl like in most p2p files provided in LW, Kazaa, etc.)

Anyway Emule does have those files individually but it's confusing. (I see alot of french sub something plus apparently the first episode is unavailable)

Based from what I've read, DC ++ and Mirc are better places to get files that are requested or something. Never really know how to work both out yet.

Mirc I haven't tried yet while DC ++ have loads of hubs that I don't know where to find although I have read alot from people that use DC ++ that it is great for looking up rare or specific files. Problem is there's no search thingy of sorts to look for and I end up having to go from hub to hub with no idea of how to view files or what files are in each hub. (Not to mention that the format is very chat room/mirc looking)
on adsl upload effects download speed. if you set it to go 15k it actually goes about 20k

any faster than 20k and it starts to slow your downloads

Eclectic_Loner
07-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the adsl info.

Still no DC++ help...

As far as BT goes, well... it peaked and never recovered so far from losing suprnova. Rare files are harder to search and few seeds that's why I plan to change illegal downloading programs

DC++ seems to be the next FREE best thing so far (read that newsgroup is the best way) but I don't know how to search the mils and mils of hubs.

Btw setting the upload limit doesn't seem to increase the dl speed of the torrent. The only difference I've noticed is that the dl kb/s remain the same while the upload kb/s lowers which means I get to browse at least one website completely while I couldn't do that when the set limit was off

Does this mean that my connection isn't fast enough or I should lower down the upload even further down?

Cyril
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
BT stil goes fine without Suprnova, you just need to find the right sites (check the threads in BT part of forum for more info). Itt sounds like you're frustration now is about slow d/l of file you are wanting, hoowever it seems that it is a very rare file so you may just have to put up with slow d/l.

Eclectic_Loner
08-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Been off a week from home.

Nah not really bothered with slow d/l speeds. I'm more pissed off at dead trackers (and there are alot). I've checked the forums already and know the sites (not really that hard to search for anyways although I don't understand the idea of invites)

I'm also still hoping to get some help on DC ++ and how to search files there.

As for the suprnova comment, it's just that back then it was the main site to go for. Lots of torrents even rare ones having lots of seeds and a forum to boot (right now this is the only file sharing forum I know)

Skiz
08-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Check out the P2P section of Ross's "The Everything Guide". It's probably the closest thing to an all-in-one guide. It can be found here:

http://www.tvg.cjb.net/

Eclectic_Loner
08-08-2005, 12:45 AM
LimeWire
LimeWire is a very popular filesharing program which runs on the Gnutella network. It's very good for music, as there are no "fake" .mp3's on the Gnutella network. LimeWire is also good for movies, and a few games, but not for full software downloads.

^

Those words make it look like either the guide is outdated or misguided. LW has lots of "fakes"

Eclectic_Loner
08-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Still no DC help?

Anyway finally got Nadesico, have problems playing the files, posted a topic on the codec section. Maybe someone can help?