PDA

View Full Version : Our search function sux

Skiz
07-14-2005, 01:13 AM
:fist:

In the past it has pissed me off and it's pissin me off right now. I've been looking for a thread that Zed started awhile back. It was titled something like, "What would you do with this power?" but the search function isn't helping at all. I've searched the Lounge all the way back to the middle of May with no luck either. :angry:

peat moss
07-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Well it is time consuming but have you tryed clicking on Zeds name and search all posts ?

I tryed too for ya no luck, tryed google ? :lol:

Skiz
07-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Well it is time consuming but have you tryed clicking on Zeds name and search all posts ?

I tried this for Zedaxax, 15%, and 99%. I went through them all twice! I'm sure I'm overlooking the post at some point, but if the search function worked this wouldn't be an issue. :frusty:

peat moss
07-14-2005, 01:54 AM
@skizo, Your right I rarely use it , thats why I gave the Google crack . :dry:

But new members are suppose to have better luck , "OK" :lol:

RealitY
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Its possible it was one of the corrupted threads removed from the databse...

MCHeshPants420
07-14-2005, 07:34 AM
The search fuction works perfectly if you know how to use it:

Just go to Advanced Search.

Type the name of the person you are looking for in Search for username.

Change the drop-down menu below it to Find threads started by user.

Untick the Exact name box next to it.

Refine the search by selecting a section below in the Search in Forum(s) box.

You can further refine your search by putting in a keyword in the left hand box and selecting Search titles only.

The above will find all the threads started by the member in that section. That's the way I use it and I've never had any trouble. The thread has to have existed in the first place, be by the person in question and/or not deleted for the search function to work but I think it does a good job nevertheless.

I can't find a thread like that by 15% or Zed. Are you sure you aren't referring to Hobbes' "What power do you want?" thread?

Skiz
07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
I know how to use the advanced search. :dry:

I can't find a thread like that by 15% or Zed.

That's why the search function sux. I saw it by accident about an hour before trying to find it, so I know it exists.

MCHeshPants420
07-14-2005, 09:34 AM
I know how to use the advanced search. :dry:

I can't find a thread like that by 15% or Zed.

That's why the search function sux. I saw it by accident about an hour before trying to find it, so I know it exists.

The search function works fine. I doubt this thread even exists, it's your memory that is playing tricks on you. You're not even that sure of the title.

Hell, you're probably just making it all up to get attention. :dry:

{I}{K}{E}
07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
our search option works fine... I think your doing something wrong.

Afronaut
07-14-2005, 09:42 AM
I got no problems here.

Sometimes its a little tricksy to come up with the words to use in searches but,
like google, experiment helps.

Skiz
07-15-2005, 02:58 AM
I might as well have gone outside and said this to the brick wall for all the good it did. No, I'm not exactly sure on the title, but if it's wrong, it's not by much. I am on the other hand 100% sure that the word "power" is in the title. So, if the search function works fine, where's the thread? :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
I might as well have gone outside and said this to the brick wall for all the good it did. No, I'm not exactly sure on the title, but if it's wrong, it's not by much. I am on the other hand 100% sure that the word "power" is in the title. So, if the search function works fine, where's the thread? :ermm:

Like everyone else in this thread has said: The search function works fine.

Most likely your mind is playing tricks on you and you thought you saw this thread but it doesn't actually exist. Interesting to note that Hobbes made a thread about "What power do you want?" and the last person to post in it was 15%. That's probably where your delusions stemmed from.

Every thread I've ever made is findable via the search function as are of those of my former username of Withcheese (and there is a lot of them). Are you trying to tell us that the search function randomly selects a member and randomly will not find one of his/her topics?

Stop being silly. Silly.

JPaul
07-15-2005, 08:48 AM
It works fine and dandy, http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=98656&page=1&pp=10 found in about 30 seconds.

Skiz
07-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Most likely your mind is playing tricks on you and you thought you saw this thread but it doesn't actually exist. Interesting to note that Hobbes made a thread about "What power do you want?" and the last person to post in it was 15%. That's probably where your delusions stemmed from.

Every thread I've ever made is findable via the search function as are of those of my former username of Withcheese (and there is a lot of them). Are you trying to tell us that the search function randomly selects a member and randomly will not find one of his/her topics?

Stop being silly. Silly.

It's pointless attempting to discuss anything with you. No matter how civil I remain, you just continuously berate people in threads, insist that you're right and never wrong, and toss around mildly insulting comments. I have come to the conclusion that you will never serve me any purpose on this board. I've never had to use it but...welcome to my ignore list. :)

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:11 AM

Stop being silly. Silly.

It's pointless attempting to discuss anything with you. No matter how civil I remain, you just continuously berate people in threads, insist that you're right and never wrong, and toss around mildly insulting comments. I have come to the conclusion that you will never serve me any purpose on this board. I've had to use it but...welcome to my ignore list. :)

That's usually because I am right most of the time. Take the acronym argument you flounced out of the other day, I proved you so very wrong there and you didn't even have the courage to admit you were mistaken. On this topic I am right yet again and everyone knows it but you, but nevermind if you want to act like a child that is your business.

So it would seem you are also guilty of the crimes that you accuse me of.

I do berate some people I guess. But only the stupid, obnoxious ones. Bye bye silly.

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Poor Fake Shemp. He'll never get to 20 posts. :(

{I}{K}{E}
07-15-2005, 09:17 AM

it's strange that Fake Shemp and you post with the same IP.... :shifty:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM

it's strange that Fake Shemp and you post with the same IP....

Not really if you consider they are both my accounts. :schnauz:

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2005, 09:24 AM
it's strange that Fake Shemp and you post with the same IP....

omfg! :ohmy:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:25 AM

Well, it's either that or the mole people are stealing my 'width.

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2005, 09:28 AM

oh it's so easy to blame the mole people isn't it? lets just totally disregard the fact that they surface but once a year :snooty:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:30 AM

oh it's so easy to blame the mole people isn't it? lets just totally disregard the fact that they surface but once a year :snooty:

They surface once a year but hang around for months, took me and my army of Piranha Women bloody ages to get rid of them last time. :dry:

Mr. Mulder
07-15-2005, 09:34 AM

They surface once a year but hang around for months, took me and my army of Piranha Women bloody ages to get rid of them last time. :dry:

did you try a human sacrifice? it's what they surface for :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 09:36 AM

did you try a human sacrifice? it's what they surface for :ermm:

Where'd you think Fake Shemp dissappeared to? I'm gonna miss that guy. :cry:

Fake Shemp
07-15-2005, 10:30 AM

it's strange that Fake Shemp and you post with the same IP.... :shifty:

That's not true. :ohmy: :shifty:

Frohike
07-15-2005, 10:32 AM
lol :shifty:

manker
07-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Fake Shemp is my favourite of all psuedo, pseudonyms.

Apart from UKResident.

Shempy might have some vague horror film connection that I don't quite understand but he's no 62 year old vegan, mentalist marathon runner.

Fake Shemp
07-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Fake Shemp is my favourite of all psuedo, pseudonyms.

Apart from UKResident.

Shempy might have some vague horror film connection that I don't quite understand but he's no 62 year old vegan, mentalist marathon runner.

Nah, I'm a 17 year-old meat eater, who can't last very long. :unsure:

JPaul
07-15-2005, 12:16 PM

I wish to be formerly making a compliant about the above named sentence. To be finished with an of is a bad sentence and should not be done, ever, period.

If you would go to change it to ".... of which you accuse me." then that will be more OK to the eye.

Otherwise I may have to take some actions which will be a regret to the both of us, but moreso you I think.

GepperRankins
07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=MCHeshPants420]

[QUOTE]
I wish to be formerly making a compliant about the above named sentence. To be finished with an of is a bad sentence and should not be done, ever, period.

If you would go to change it to ".... of which you accuse me." then that will be more OK to the eye.

Otherwise I may have to take some actions which will be a regret to the both of us, but moreso you I think.
damn now the quote system is broke :dry:

MCHeshPants420
07-15-2005, 06:03 PM

Comply all you like, see what good it does you. ;)

JPaul
07-15-2005, 06:32 PM

See what good it does me I will.

Afronaut
07-15-2005, 06:39 PM
See what good it does me I will.

:lol:

Confudge?

offtopic:
skizo, you silly, silly man, it works
:P

Snee
07-15-2005, 06:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/bitchesbest.png

JPaul
07-15-2005, 06:41 PM
offtopic:
skizo, you silly, silly man, it works
:P
Hoi, stop spamming.

Right, it's the lounge for this thread.

Sorry chaps but it's Afro's fault.

Snee
07-15-2005, 06:55 PM
@skizo, Your right I rarely use it , thats why I gave the Google crack
No wonder searches won't work.

Drugs are bad, m'kay :dry:

MCHeshPants420
07-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Suck my search function.

Skiz
08-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Proof that the search function still sux. It doesn't even find this thread. :dry:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3913/z6vl.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z6vl.jpg)

manker
08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Proof that the search function still sux. It doesn't even find this thread. :dry:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3913/z6vl.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z6vl.jpg)
That's because you're searching the EATB and it's child forums but this thread in the lounge, you n00b :lol:

It finds with no probs if you search using the same terms but specify any forum.

Mr. Mulder
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
i found this thread quite easily as it is at the top of the lounge :snooty:

Skiz
08-09-2005, 08:38 AM
:bitchslappedbymankerAGAIN:

:blushing:

manker
08-09-2005, 08:39 AM
:bitchslappedbymankerAGAIN:

:blushing:
:lol: :D

Cheese
08-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Fucking idiot.

Skiz
08-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Fucking idiot.

Do you really have nothing better to do than spam/flame? :dry:

Cheese
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Fucking idiot.

Are you really as stupid as your posts seem to suggest?:ermm:

Skiz
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Evidently not. :dry:

Skiz
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
...and since your wit is so predictable, I'll go ahead and post for you:

Evidently so.

Cheese
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
...and since your wit is so predictable, I'll go ahead and post for you:

Evidently so.

Well, actually I was going to leave the thread alone. It doesn't feel right to trade insults with someone who has been so completely stumped by a forum's search function and can't understand the simple concepts therein.

Perhaps we do need a Child Forum for some of our less gifted/younger members.

Skiz
08-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, actually I was going to leave the thread alone.

I'm sure you were... :dry:

Perhaps we do need a Child Forum for some of our less gifted/younger members.

Do let me know how it turns out. I'm sure you'll find the topics intellectually stimulating. ;)

Cheese
08-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Do let me know how it turns out.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Not even I think you are so dim as to not be able to qualify to post in a Child Section.:ermm:

Busyman
08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
:fist:

In the past it has pissed me off and it's pissin me off right now. I've been looking for a thread that Zed started awhile back. It was titled something like, "What would you do with this power?" but the search function isn't helping at all. I've searched the Lounge all the way back to the middle of May with no luck either. :angry:
Look outside in the trash bin.

Shortly after the time the thread went "missing", Deletion IKE smelled of trash truck juice. :unsure:

sArA
08-09-2005, 01:43 PM
What search function? :blink:

Peerzy
08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
What search function? :blink:

Im confused as well, the only search function i was aware of was Manker's(tm) Online Word Searcher, and i guessed that was Manker with a dictionary and not some 1337 script by Rossco :huh:

Santa
08-09-2005, 09:58 PM
@skizo - the movie i mentioned in that thread is found here http://www.delivery.framebox.de/

the reason why the search function fks up with my name is the % + numbers

Skiz
08-10-2005, 02:52 AM
I knew I was right! :01:

Thanks zed! :w00t:

brotherdoobie
08-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Fucking idiot.

You'll have to excuse Cheese, it's not his fault. You see... he's been constipated since birth.

Peace bd

Cheese
08-10-2005, 08:50 AM
@skizo - the movie i mentioned in that thread is found here http://www.delivery.framebox.de/

the reason why the search function fks up with my name is the % + numbers

Hi Zed.:D

If you want to use the search function to search for 99%'s threads just untick the the 'Exact Name' bit. That is actually what MCHeshPants420 said in his original post (in fact the guy's guide is pretty faultless):

Untick the Exact name box next to it.

Search function works fine. Found the thread you're both referring to straight away: http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t97188.html

Cheese
08-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I knew I was right! :01:

Thanks zed! :w00t:

Nope, you were wrong. Again. What's that like?

Cheese
08-10-2005, 08:54 AM

You'll have to excuse Cheese, it's not his fault. You see... he's been constipated since birth.

Peace bd

Whereas the shit just flows freely from you. Shut it, hippy.:dry:

Santa
08-10-2005, 08:56 AM
nice tip
although i found it is impossible to "find all threads started by" in the user profile
it comes up blank

Cheese
08-10-2005, 09:04 AM
nice tip
although i found it is impossible to "find all threads started by" in the user profile
it comes up blank

That does suck, I think you're right that that is because of the symbol you use in your username(s). The only way around that is to use the search function (which allows you to be more specific when searching for a thread anyhows...swings and roundabouts).

manker
08-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to:

Our Quality Search Function has a Minor Quirk.

Busyman
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I think the search function sucks compared to the old one....but it ain't bad.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 05:53 PM

I'd change it to:

I'm a poor workman and I'm blaming my tool.*

*© Trite cliche property of Brotherdoobie.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 05:55 PM

I think it's much better, there is no 30 second wait between searches for instance. Other than that there is not much difference. I can find anything that I have a keyword or poster for straight away.:01:

manker
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM

I think it's much better, there is no 30 second wait between searches for instance. Other than that there is not much difference. I can find anything that I have a keyword or poster for straight away.:01:
Just losing the 30 second flood control things makes it better.

Give it time.

We've only been on VB for 8 months. Soon enough all the technotards will learn how to use the search function properly.

peat moss
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM

I'd change it to:

Sometimes tho its easier to blame it on the operater ,as my old Maint. Dept. head was so fond of doing. I still have trouble with our search but have learned to live with it.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
technotards

:lol:

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd change it to:

Sometimes tho its easier to blame it on the operater ,as my old Maint. Dept. head was so fond of doing. I still have trouble with our search but have learned to live with it.

What sort of problems? Perhaps Auntie Cheese can help you?:D

Busyman
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Can you search by keyword under a certain poster?

manker
08-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Can you search by keyword under a certain poster?Sure.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Can you search by keyword under a certain poster?

Yes.

manker
08-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Can you search by keyword under a certain poster?Sure.
I just tried it, I just searched for technotards posted by manker (matched by exact user name.

I was sure I'd never used that word before since I made it up to describe you about 10 minutes ago.

It worked perfectly.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Sure.
I just tried it, I just searched for technotards posted by manker (matched by exact user name.

I was sure I'd never used that word before since I made it up to describe you about 10 minutes ago.

It worked perfectly.

Didn't I use the search function in that way once to point out how many times Busyman used the word "dick"?

manker
08-10-2005, 06:14 PM

It worked perfectly.

Didn't I use the search function in that way once to point out how many times Busyman used the word "dick"?Yup :01:

I did it too, so that I knew exactly how many times he'd said nutsack. It was fucking loads.

The big gay poof.

Guillaume
08-10-2005, 06:15 PM
technotards

Oi! I resent that. :angry:

Feelin' a bit tardy atm.

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:17 PM
technotards

Feelin' a bit tardy atm.

My gf called me a pavementtard (sp?) last night when I tripped over.:(

manker
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
technotards

Feelin' a bit tardy atm.I thought I'd invented that word (technotard) but Google tells me that 531 uses of it have been recorded on the interweb :dry:

Cheese
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Feelin' a bit tardy atm.I thought I'd invented that word (technotard) but Google tells me that 531 uses of it have been recorded on the interweb :dry:

I invented Geptard: http://www.withcheese.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=6&st=0&#entry25

Only found this out the other day, been looking for an excuse to bring it up.:schnauz:

manker
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Chebus' missus (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=pavementtard&btnG=Search&meta=) > me (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=technotard&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) :(

Guillaume
08-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Chebus' missus (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=pavementtard&btnG=Search&meta=) > me (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=technotard&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) :(

Accountants < sharks.

We've known it for a while now.

manker
08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Bank clerks >* :01:

peat moss
08-10-2005, 07:11 PM

What sort of problems? Perhaps Auntie Cheese can help you?:D

:lol: I think it was oil me before you start me ! :D

Or lubricate me ? I'm soooo confused that "Auntie bit scared me . :ohmy:

brotherdoobie
08-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Peace bd

Whereas the shit just flows freely from you. Shut it, hippy.:dry:

I am quite regular.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/metamucil.jpg

Peace bd

brotherdoobie
08-10-2005, 11:51 PM

I'd change it to:

You owe me a quarter in royalties. Or you could pm me another picture of you, with your shirt tied around your belly and Kool-Aid on your cheeks.

Pasty british boys are hawt!

Peace bd

manker
11-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Prolly deserves a bump because it's why Skizo has that member title.

I hear Tesco gave it to him :shifty:

Skiz
11-09-2005, 04:00 PM
The search fuction still sux btw. All forums search functions suck imo except Deviant Art's.

No idea who/what "Tesco" is. We have quite the language barrier.:ermm:

Cheese
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
This thread killed my inner child.

manker
11-09-2005, 04:03 PM
When I decided to bump this thread, I found it with the search function.

Skiz
11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Want a cookie?

manker
11-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Want a cookie?
I don't think I deserve a reward for figuring out how to use a forum facility that even the most the second most imbecilic forum member can use with aplomb.

Cheese
11-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Want a cookie? I don't think I deserve a reward for figuring out how to use a forum facility that even the most the second most imbecilic forum member can use with aplomb.

Ha! You are so on Skizo's ignore list.

When he figures out how to use it...

manker
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't think I deserve a reward for figuring out how to use a forum facility that even the most the second most imbecilic forum member can use with aplomb.

When he figures out how to use it...http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/glag.gif :D

Skiz
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I didn't say it didn't work, or I didn't know how to use it you dumbasses. I said it sux. Get it straight.

Gripper
11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
why does it sux

Skiz
11-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Read the thread

Busyman
11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
When I tried to use it (name + keyword) it didn't work so I figured it didn't work ever.

Turns out that musta been a glitch that day.:unsure:

It works perfectly fine.

I don't understand why you get worked up about people being assholes on here. Ya gotta have thicker skin....especially on the internet.:ermm:

I mean it's the fucking internet ffs.

Gripper
11-09-2005, 08:00 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t93099.html
is this the one ,its not by zed but sounds like what you were describing.
or this one
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t91029.html

enoughfakefiles
11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
The search functions fine for me now. I typed in whos thread sux and it came up with these four threads.:rolleyes:

Sux

Skiz
11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t93099.html
is this the one ,its not by zed but sounds like what you were describing.
or this one
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t91029.html

Gripper, this is a thread that's a bit old that manker brought back for some reason. The thread in question can be found at the below link. All of these things are explained if you just read the thread.

http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t97188.html

Gripper
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Shit it was so long,just thought I'd have a bash at helping...LOL..nevermind.:)

Barbarossa
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
:glag:

This thread deserves a bump! :lol:

MCHeshPants420
10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I am quite harsh in this thread. :ermm:

Snee
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
But fair, really.

internet.news
10-24-2006, 05:05 PM

When he figures out how to use it...

:lol: !

Snee
10-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you think he has, tho'? :unsure:

manker
10-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Do you think he has, tho'? :unsure:
He seemed to be able to see my post well enough to report me the other day for posting his email address such that newbies could PM him for torrent site invites.

So, I'm guessing no.

Skiz
10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
He seemed to be able to see my post well enough to report me the other day for posting his email address such that newbies could PM him for torrent site invites.

So, I'm guessing no.

Don't misrepresent what happened. I did not "report" you. I simply asked for email address to be removed.

Seedler
10-29-2006, 12:39 AM
The search does suck...I was search for hawt pics of that French news reporter one day and it took so long...so when I did find it I went flaccid already:mellow:

MCHeshPants420
10-29-2006, 12:44 PM

So, I'm guessing no.

Don't misrepresent what happened. I did not "report" you. I simply asked for email address to be removed.

Snitch :dry:

JPaul
10-29-2006, 04:05 PM

Dry Snitch :dry:

Fixed Busied.