PDA

View Full Version : LightScribe

RealitY
07-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Thought this was interesting at first when I saw it a couple weeks back although media is over a dollar a disc on dvd and over half dollar on cd also. It also is only monochrome which I thought it would be which is a bit useless. It also seems with a link that rossco gave me the high quality setting takes around 30 minutes to write which makes it even less atractive but still interesting anyway...

http://www.lightscribe.com/images/home/making_top.jpg

http://www.lightscribe.com/

Darth Sushi
07-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I love the idea but the media price is too high and you have to buy a burner that supports it.

brotherdoobie
07-17-2005, 01:06 AM
The next generation of burners (with LiteScribe) will be better,and why is monochrome useless?

Peace bd

Storm
07-17-2005, 01:24 AM
the media isnt redily available....... even if it was, and it was the same price.......... a regular cd/dvd + black marker is just as easy

brotherdoobie
07-17-2005, 02:16 AM
the media isnt redily available....... even if it was, and it was the same price.......... a regular cd/dvd + black marker is just as easy

I have used sharpies for years...however,I am not adverse to change.

Peace bd

Duffman
07-17-2005, 04:45 AM
Sharpies work fine, I'm not running a huge illegal burning scheme here, and a sharpie suits me well.

motov600
07-17-2005, 07:11 AM
the lightscribe writer is only out for cdr burns, no dvds yet

also i dont see the point when you can get a printable and just print your artwork work with a epson r200 in colour, you can get a spray now which gives it a satin look and feel.

Duffman
07-17-2005, 07:38 AM
I still don't see how this beats a sharpie...

clocker
07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
I still don't see how this beats a sharpie...
You are missing the point.
This unit is not intended for the casual user or the big-time music/DVD burner.

I sold one to a photographer who custom labels his final product for the client.
The result is very polished and well, professional...well worth the extra 1/2 hour it takes to burn.
Imagine charging someone $1000 for their wedding pictures and labeling the disc with a Sharpie.

I also think this product is more the "Look what we can build!" type than the "You've been begging for it, so we made it" kind.

Duffman
07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Theres different color sharpies, you could make it pretty =p.

peat moss
07-17-2005, 06:54 PM
It's as clocker says, or If your a sales rep you could put your products and a video of your companies history on a cd and finnish it of with a professional looking label with your ph # and e-mail.

lynx
07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
It's as clocker says, or If your a sales rep you could put your products and a video of your companies history on a cd and finnish it of with a professional looking label with your ph # and e-mail.That's true, but it actually costs very little to have your own labels applied to blank media. Small software companies I've dealt with in the past have often had pre-printed blank media, individually labelled with the disk contents, yet the number of copies of each disk would rarely reach 3 figures.

That being the case it seems a little pointless paying top dollar for special media, and ending up with a monochrome finish, when a multi-coloured alternative is available for probably less money. I take clocker's point about individual disks, though with disk printers now less than £30 including taxes I can't really see that there is much of a case.

Storm
07-17-2005, 10:07 PM
It's as clocker says, or If your a sales rep you could put your products and a video of your companies history on a cd and finnish it of with a professional looking label with your ph # and e-mail.That's true, but it actually costs very little to have your own labels applied to blank media. Small software companies I've dealt with in the past have often had pre-printed blank media, individually labelled with the disk contents, yet the number of copies of each disk would rarely reach 3 figures.

That being the case it seems a little pointless paying top dollar for special media, and ending up with a monochrome finish, when a multi-coloured alternative is available for probably less money. I take clocker's point about individual disks, though with disk printers now less than £30 including taxes I can't really see that there is much of a case.

i agree with you, if this was very cheap, would work pretty fast, and the media no more expensive, then id say sure, but its just too costly (time AND money) for the little you get........

matt526
07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
the lightscribe writer is only out for cdr burns, no dvds yet

also i dont see the point when you can get a printable and just print your artwork work with a epson r200 in colour, you can get a spray now which gives it a satin look and feel.
There is a Lightscribe DVD Burner out now, I saw it in Wal-Mart of all places for $100 :dry:
I have also heard that the next generation of lightscribe will have color :) I can only imagine how expensive that media will be :sick: