PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland vs Whitecaps

peat moss
07-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I see their playing today, how good are they ? The Black cats I mean know they moved up but was wondering .

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/

manker
07-17-2005, 11:13 AM
There are a few Sunderland supporters on the board, Withcheese, Rat Faced, Proper Bo - amongst others. They'd probably know more than me but I watched them a few times last season and they're not much cop.

Their manager, Mick McCarthy, is an ultra defensive coach who seems to have something against flair players. I think the Whitecaps game might be their second of the tour, I noticed in the midweek paper that they'd won a match against different opposition by the odd goal.

Not really my cup of tea but some people like football played that way :unsure:

peat moss
07-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Overview:
In front of the biggest crowd in five years, the Whitecaps put on the show of shows, downing English Premiership side Sunderland AFC 3-0, in an superb exhibition match at Swangard Stadium. Veteran striker Carlo Corazzin was the star of the game, with a goal and an assist, as he scored the winner, and set up insurance goals by Joey Gjertsen and Jason Jordan. All three goals came in the second half.

Sunderland had their chances, but the three Whitecaps goalkeepers (Mike Franks, Josh Wicks, Serge Djekanovic) who shared the shutout rarely had a difficult save to make. Shots were 12-10 in Vancouver's favour, but the Whitecaps were clearly the more dangerous side against the renowned English club, who are still early in their preseason.

The Whitecaps are undefeated in two games against Premiership sides, as they tied Chelsea 2-2 in 1992. :01:

Link: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/?id=1832

Rat Faced
07-17-2005, 05:39 PM
There are a few Sunderland supporters on the board, Withcheese, Rat Faced, Proper Bo - amongst others.

They'd beat Man City, your prefered team, any day of the week :snooty:

Rat Faced
07-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Overview:
In front of the biggest crowd in five years, the Whitecaps put on the show of shows, downing English Premiership side Sunderland AFC 3-0, in an superb exhibition match at Swangard Stadium. Veteran striker Carlo Corazzin was the star of the game, with a goal and an assist, as he scored the winner, and set up insurance goals by Joey Gjertsen and Jason Jordan. All three goals came in the second half.

Sunderland had their chances, but the three Whitecaps goalkeepers (Mike Franks, Josh Wicks, Serge Djekanovic) who shared the shutout rarely had a difficult save to make. Shots were 12-10 in Vancouver's favour, but the Whitecaps were clearly the more dangerous side against the renowned English club, who are still early in their preseason.

The Whitecaps are undefeated in two games against Premiership sides, as they tied Chelsea 2-2 in 1992. :01:

Link: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/?id=1832

:01: :01:

May Sunderland have the same type of result all season :)

peat moss
07-17-2005, 10:26 PM
I was surprised that the caps used three keepers , these are the type of games that make soccer fans. I know its a friendly and too early for the black cat fans to give an opinion . Just enjoying the win I know were just small minnows in the global football scheme of things but we can dream can't we ? :)

manker
07-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I was surprised that the caps used three keepers , these are the type of games that make soccer fans. I know its a friendly and too early for the black cat fans to give an opinion . Just enjoying the win I know were just small minnows in the global football scheme of things but we can dream can't we ? :)Enjoy it, I know I would :)

I've seen Carlo Corazzin play in England. I watched him at Home Park while he was at Plymouth Argyle. I didn't realise he was still playing 'cos that was a fairly long time ago.

peat moss
07-17-2005, 10:36 PM
@manker , wish we could afford to keep our best players at home but it does'nt happen that way sadly. But the sport is growing like you would n't believe . And thats worth something !

Hey my favarite Whitecap of all time was Peter Beardsley of the New Castle fame , we got him very young but a great little player. Wee Willie Johnson and Alan Hinton, Derek Posse were fun to watch too.

Ok I lied the ""Kaiser" Fran Beckenhauer was no slouch :schnauz: but now its just a club team with local boys , for better or worse . :)

Rat Faced
07-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Beardsley.

Good Footballer.... and ugly enough to scare the opposition without having to tackle too much :rolleyes:

manker
07-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I do believe Man Utd let him go for nothing to Vancouver Whitecaps.

He turned out to be a pretty good player :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
07-17-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.uglyfootballers.com/content/images/footballers/england_world_cup/beardsley/images/beardsley02.jpg :wub:

peat moss
07-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes that boy , poor kid but had many a girl waiting for his autograph. Hey go figure :happy: