PDA

View Full Version : 9800 SE install question...

Skiz
07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
OK, I'm replacing an nVidia 6800ti with a 9800SE. If I'm correct, it should be as easyas just switching the cards. However, when I switch the cards and reboot, I get a message stating:

You have not connected the power cable to your RADEON 9700 video card, please refer to the "Getting started guide" for proper installation !!!"

Power cord ??? :blink:

The only thing I saw as being a potential problem, was not having the driver installed prior to inserting the card.

Any ideas?????????????????????

clocker
07-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Your card requires extra juice and has a floppy drive power port to get it.
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2003/09/04/front_big.jpg
See it up there in the top right hand corner?
Plug it in.

Monkeee
07-17-2005, 10:59 AM
lol maybe u need to plug the power cord to your video card?

Skiz
07-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Your card requires extra juice and has a floppy drive power port to get it.
Plug it in.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you be more specific?

clocker
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
See my original (newly edited) post.

lynx
07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
OF course, he could have simply read the "Getting started guide". :rolleyes:

Skiz
07-17-2005, 11:37 AM
OK, first off, the connection in that location is slightly different on the card that I have. Here is an example:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7961/9800sechange9800sefront1vv.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

It's hard to tell where all the wires are coming from since I have a Shuttle system and everything is buried down in there. :(

I do see a wire that is sitting on top that comes from somewhere down in the PC that comes from below, connects to my DVD drive, and then has two connections that extend past that. One is a smaller connector that looks like it would fit onto what you posted, and the other is one that would fit onto what I have. I'm not sure if this is the right wire or not. I can't even test it because it's about six inches to short to plug into the video card. Is this even the correct wire??

Skiz
07-17-2005, 11:38 AM
OF course, he could have simply read the "Getting started guide". :rolleyes:

Trust me, I looked for this. It doesn't even exist in the manual. :dry:

Virtualbody1234
07-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Yes that is the correct wire.

For the "too short" problem, you can try unpluging another device like an optical drive or HDD and rearrange the wires. Maybe you can reach all the devices that way.

If not then you'll need an extention.

Snee
07-17-2005, 11:50 AM
OK, first off, the connection in that location is slightly different on the card that I have. Here is an example:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7961/9800sechange9800sefront1vv.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

It's hard to tell where all the wires are coming from since I have a Shuttle system and everything is buried down in there. :(

I do see a wire that is sitting on top that comes from somewhere down in the PC that comes from below, connects to my DVD drive, and then has two connections that extend past that. One is a smaller connector that looks like it would fit onto what you posted, and the other is one that would fit onto what I have. I'm not sure if this is the right wire or not. I can't even test it because it's about six inches to short to plug into the video card. Is this even the correct wire??
Shuttles can be a bit of short on molexes. So you might need a splitter if you are unlucky, as it's possible that all the right connectors are already in use..

The psu (a metal box with a fan on the front) is probably situated on the right side of the case, the cable you are looking for should come from that.

The connector is supposed to look something like: http://www.computerhope.com/pictures/power/molex.jpg

Which model shuttle do you have, exactly?

Skiz
07-17-2005, 12:08 PM

I have a Shuttle XPC (http://lib.store.yahoo.com/lib/a-c/sk41gbig.gif)

lynx
07-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm intrigued though, why downgrade from a 6800 to a 9800SE?

Snee
07-17-2005, 12:35 PM

I have a Shuttle XPC (http://lib.store.yahoo.com/lib/a-c/sk41gbig.gif)
I had a look, and the layout appears to be the same as in mine. _ (http://techreport.com/reviews/2002q4/shuttle-sk41g/index.x?pg=1)

Your PSU is situated to the right of the case, seen from the front, and if my machine is anything to go by, you might a have a problem reaching the edge of the graphics card with a cable, although it's possible that you can pull a cable underneath the drive bay directly to the card from the psu and make that work.

I solved it by adding an extension cable, myself.

Skiz
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm intrigued though, why downgrade from a 6800 to a 9800SE?

LP told me it was better... (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=96493&highlight=9800)

Snee
07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
He may be a tad wrong :unsure:

Lets just put it this way, It owns that card you have now 1000x over. :pinch:

WRT that quote, this is tad:
http://www.helsinki.fi/~lauhakan/whale/images/whabab.gif

I can't actually find a ti version of the 6800 now, but assuming that's the right gpu series, even a crippled 6800 should be a bit better than a 9800SE, I think.

Sorry 'bout that.

Skiz
07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Can't the 9800 be opened up to a 256 card though? :unsure:

lynx
07-17-2005, 11:22 PM
I've heard it is possible to mod some cards to enable more pipelines, but I don't remember the SE being one of them (though I could be wrong). Even if you can, you need to remember why those pipelines were disabled - it is because they could not meet the specifications, but rather than just destroy the chips they put them into cards with fewer pipelines. So if you find a way to re-enable the pipelines, you run the risk of having faults in the displayed output.

In any case, remember that ATI's main competition for the 6800 series is the X800 series, so it is doubtful whether anything less than the top end of the 9800 series is going to match the performance of the 6800, and since the SE is bottom of the range, even a modified one still won't give anywhere near top end performance.

Skiz
07-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Well that just plain sucks. :pinch:

Snee
07-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I've heard it is possible to mod some cards to enable more pipelines, but I don't remember the SE being one of them (though I could be wrong). Even if you can, you need to remember why those pipelines were disabled - it is because they could not meet the specifications, but rather than just destroy the chips they put them into cards with fewer pipelines. So if you find a way to re-enable the pipelines, you run the risk of having faults in the displayed output.

In any case, remember that ATI's main competition for the 6800 series is the X800 series, so it is doubtful whether anything less than the top end of the 9800 series is going to match the performance of the 6800, and since the SE is bottom of the range, even a modified one still won't give anywhere near top end performance.
A 9800XT does about 1-1.5k less points than a 6600GT with the same amount of VRAM, in 3d mark -05 for me.

And a regular 6800 is supposed to be almost as good or slightly better than the 6600GT

Sorry Skizo

Skiz
07-18-2005, 01:27 AM
OK, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I have a 4800ti, not a 6800ti. :blushing:

Smith
07-18-2005, 02:17 AM
I have never heard of a 4800ti. Although i kinda fell behind in the computer parts stuff a few months ago :(

lynx
07-18-2005, 03:20 AM
OK, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I have a 4800ti, not a 6800ti. :blushing:
Ah, that a tad different (no whale pictures this time - far too small).

The GF4 ti series (with the 4800 at the top) effectively came to an end when they were outclassed by the 9700 Pro. But then again a 9700 Pro is almost twice as fast as a 9800SE.

I bet the ti4800 could still give an unmodified 9800SE a pretty good run for its money, but of course it isn't DX9 compatible, which is a big downfall when it omes to playing the latest games.

BTW, I was right about the possible mods - software upgrade to 8 pipelines is a possibility on some cards. However, some boards are have a 256bit memory bus and these are the only ones which can be modded.

If your board has the memory chips layed out in the format shown in your photo (ie 2 across the top and 2 down the side) then you have the 9700 Pro PCB and you are ok for the modification. If you've got all 4 memory chips in a row then you have the 9500 Pro PCB and you are out of luck.

Skiz
07-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Ah, that a tad different (no whale pictures this time - far too small).

The GF4 ti series (with the 4800 at the top) effectively came to an end when they were outclassed by the 9700 Pro. But then again a 9700 Pro is almost twice as fast as a 9800SE.

I bet the ti4800 could still give an unmodified 9800SE a pretty good run for its money, but of course it isn't DX9 compatible, which is a big downfall when it omes to playing the latest games.

BTW, I was right about the possible mods - software upgrade to 8 pipelines is a possibility on some cards. However, some boards are have a 256bit memory bus and these are the only ones which can be modded.

If your board has the memory chips layed out in the format shown in your photo (ie 2 across the top and 2 down the side) then you have the 9700 Pro PCB and you are ok for the modification. If you've got all 4 memory chips in a row then you have the 9500 Pro PCB and you are out of luck.

OK, I got the new card up and running. The only real game I play on any regular basis is Call of Duty:UO. With the new card, I am able to set any and all graphics settings to the max, as where before, I was only able to turn them up about 75%. I have overclocked the core about 25 points and I'll leave it there. The memory clock I'll get to later, and I'll turn that up until I begin seeing artifacts and then I'll turn it down about 10 points.

I did try opening the other four pipelines in order to turn the card into a 9800 Pro, but I get a bunch of artifacts, so I think one of the pipelines is screwed. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for all the help so far btw. :)

S!X
07-18-2005, 07:26 AM
When you open pipelines you can fuck up your video card :( If your getting artifacting, the cards too hot, so lower the overclock job you did a little bit.

clocker
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
:( If your getting artifacting, the cards too hot, so lower the overclock job you did a little bit.
Not necessarily.
Refer back to Lynx's explanation of why the pipelines were disabled in the first place...t'wasn't because they ran too hot.

lynx
07-18-2005, 03:07 PM
On the other hand, with the extra pipelines enabled it will be doing almost twice as much work, so it will definitely get a lot hotter.

Another thing is that the reason for pipeline "failure" can simply be that it can't operate at the designed speed. If that's the case, enabling the extra pipelines but underclocking could well make it stable, and it would still outperform an unmodded SE.

As you can see, I've done quite a lot of research on this, despite the fact that I will almost certainly never buy a 9800SE. The things we do when it is too hot to sleep. :rolleyes:

Skiz
07-19-2005, 02:23 AM
The things we do when it is too hot to sleep.

Turn on the AC...? :unsure: