PDA

View Full Version : One Language for Europe???

yxuz
07-17-2005, 09:31 PM
should there be? :wacko:

bigboab
07-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes. But what one?

GepperRankins
07-17-2005, 09:48 PM
i've been trying but failed. i'd have thought you could come up with a poll-pole joke boab :ermm:

ziggyjuarez
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Latin

manker
07-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Esperanto.

bigboab
07-17-2005, 09:59 PM
i've been trying but failed. i'd have thought you could come up with a poll-pole joke boab :ermm:

I had thought of a few concerning the nation that started the last war.:)
I will leave them till an appropriate time.

NO! That does not mean I have not thought of any.:lol:

Snee
07-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Esperanto.
Yeah.

bigboab
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Esperanto.
Yeah.

Do you not make wee mats and things like that at Primary School with Esperanto?:unsure:

lynx
07-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah.

Do you not make wee mats and things like that at Primary School with Esperanto?:unsure:Nope, went to the toilet like most people. :snooty:

The things they teach them in Scotland. :blink:

thewizeard
07-18-2005, 06:58 AM
We should use the language of the smallest European country..Esperanto? Is that some form of coffee?

vivitron 15
07-18-2005, 09:51 AM
esperanto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto) - The international language...though english is the unofficial language of the web, so ill stick with it

*in fact, american is the official lang of the web....learn to use the letter "u" - color indeed *tut*

bigboab
07-18-2005, 11:12 AM
esperanto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto) - The international language...though english is the unofficial language of the web, so ill stick with it

*in fact, american is the official lang of the web....learn to use the letter "u" - color indeed *tut*

Maybe its because 'U' count if you are not American.:unsure:

I could be Xing a lot of paths with that one.:lol:

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
/moved to 'The Drawing Room' because no poll was added.

Barbarossa
07-18-2005, 11:47 AM
There should be one language for the world, and it should be BackSlang (Pig Latin) (http://www.onelang.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Pig_Latin)

JPaul
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
No. Let's stick with a little diversity.

Anyway, everyone else learns English so it's no bother speaking to them. They can speak their foreign gobbledegook when talking to each other. Then speak English when it's a serious matter.

manker
07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
They can speak their foreign gobbledegook when talking to each other. Then speak English when it's a serious matter.Indeed. As an addition, they should be encouraged to write down their thoughts, for public perusal. Maybe in the guise of posts on an international forum.

That way those amongst us who are able can inform, educate and delight newcomers to the English language with subtle hints and tips.

JPaul
07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
They can speak their foreign gobbledegook when talking to each other. Then speak English when it's a serious matter.Indeed. As an addition, they should be encouraged to write down their thoughts, for public perusal. Maybe in the guise of posts on an international forum.

That way those amongst us who are able can inform, educate and delight newcomers to the English language with subtle hints and tips.
An excellent notion.

Perhaps we should get special coloured stars for this service to the board.

I would suggest poiple. I'll leave it to mods / admin to move this one forward.

tralalala
07-18-2005, 12:02 PM
No, I do not think thereb should be a single language for europe, it would take away it's sppeciality of each language...

The elegance of French, the myetery of Italian, the glamour of English, the.... WTF?? :blink:, well, enough of that mumbo jumbo..

But I think there should be a language for each country, not one single language. The Euro is enough isn't it?

JPaul
07-18-2005, 12:05 PM
But I think there should be a language for each country, not one single language. The Euro is enough isn't it?
Yeah, what's this nonsense with the Republic of Ireland speaking English.

Get your own feckin' language, bog trotters.

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
The elegance of French

In the immortal words of our esteemed capt_asda: ROTFMAO.

One language for Europe, I think not.
First because I want nothing from those English-speaking plebs. :tease:
Second, because a language is part of one's culture and I don't want mine disappearing. I feel bad enough already not speaking either Alsatian or the dialect of the Vosges.

manker
07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Isn't the dialect used by German Shepherds a bit limited :blink:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM

I don't think the sheep care.

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM

http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/rod.gif
Màch me net chisse, àrschfécker.

manker
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Indeed. As an addition, they should be encouraged to write down their thoughts, for public perusal. Maybe in the guise of posts on an international forum.

An excellent notion.

I would suggest poiple. I'll leave it to mods / admin to move this one forward.Forum Grammarians, as it were.

I would settle for an ickle badge proclaiming these chosen people as Forum Grammaticasters - but it doesn't hurt to aim high at the start of negotiations.

I can't see any disadvantages to this scheme.

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
An excellent notion.

I would suggest poiple. I'll leave it to mods / admin to move this one forward.Forum Grammarians, as it were.

I would settle for an ickle badge proclaiming these chosen people as Forum Grammaticasters - but it doesn't hurt to aim high at the start of negotiations.

You should call yourselves Forum Argument Grammarians. It even has a catchy acronym.

JPaul
07-18-2005, 12:29 PM
An excellent notion.

Sadly you may be "black balled", if rumours that you are an àrschfécker prove to be true.

Rest assured I will stick up for you. In fact I'll nail my flag to the figurative mast here and now.

If manker does not get a Forum Grammaticaster's badge, then I don't want mine. That's my final word on the matter, there is no room for negotiation on this one.

Snee
Forum Grammarians, as it were.

You should call yourselves Forum Argument Grammarians. It even has a catchy acronym.
Yeah.

manker

You should call yourselves Forum Argument Grammarians. It even has a catchy acronym.I was going to put your name forward, but have now decided to propose Fake Shemp for this prestigious position instead.

He's alright :snooty:

JPaul

Poetry is so homo.

manker
07-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Sadly you may be "black balled", if rumours that you are an àrschfécker prove to be true.

Rest assured I will stick up for you. In fact I'll nail my flag to the figurative mast here and now.

If manker does not get a Forum Grammaticaster's badge, then I don't want mine. That's my final word on the matter, there is no room for negotiation on this one.
:lol:

So that's you, Shempy and I so far. Maybe SnnY too as the token foreigner - we'd better at least give the impression of not being elitist.

Snee
07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Token foreigner :01:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
You should call yourselves Forum Argument Grammarians. It even has a catchy acronym.I was going to put your name forward, but have now decided to propose Fake Shemp for this prestigious position instead.

I did you a badge...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/mankerfag.jpg

JPaul
07-18-2005, 12:39 PM

So that's you, Shempy and I so far. Maybe SnnY too as the token foreigner - we'd better at least give the impression of not being elitist.
His English is better than mine (stating the obvious there) but don't tell him I said so.

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:39 PM

What about Peerzy?

JPaul
07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
I was going to put your name forward, but have now decided to propose Fake Shemp for this prestigious position instead.

I did you a badge...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/mankerfag.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh me, me, can me get one two.

manker
07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I was going to put your name forward, but have now decided to propose Fake Shemp for this prestigious position instead.

I did you a badge...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/mankerfag.jpgThat's going in me sig :lol: :lol:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/jpaulfag.jpg

Template: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/template.jpg

manker
07-18-2005, 12:47 PM

What about Peerzy?He can make his own token gesture so that he doesn't appear elitist :snooty:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 12:52 PM
What about Peerzy?He can make his own token gesture so that he doesn't appear elitist :snooty:

He'd only read it wrong...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/tolkiengesture.jpg

JPaul
07-18-2005, 01:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/jpaulfag.jpg

Template: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Withcheese/template.jpg
Cheers Mate - New Sig

Rat Faced
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
The elegance of French

Second, because a language is part of one's culture and I don't want mine disappearing.

When did France receive a culture?

Thought they were too busy screwing and pigging out to develope one of those... :rolleyes:

JPaul
07-18-2005, 03:05 PM
They found it on an old piece of brie.

Rat Faced
07-18-2005, 03:07 PM
That explains it then... although i always thought Brie was a culture. :sick:

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 04:11 PM
They found it on an old piece of brie.

Get your facts straight before posting FFS. :angry:
It was camembert.

I'm beginning to think not-Billy is right. :shifty:

JPaul
07-18-2005, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=JPaul]
I'm beginning to think not-Billy is right. :shifty:

You mean about my fabulously succesfil edyication.

maebach
07-25-2005, 04:18 AM
I think they should keep the languages because as Guillaume said, the language is very important to a culture and I don't think any culture should 'dissapear' or stop.

99%
08-04-2005, 01:22 AM
The Frenchm Spanish & Germans have rules that a 75% of national language music must be played on radio
not in your lifetime will there be one language in europa
but give it time

yonki
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Keep the current languages and make every1 learn english,why english?because such simple language is so eeeeeasy to learn.

whypikonme
08-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Keep the current languages and make every1 learn english,why english?because such simple language is so eeeeeasy to learn.

Just about every country in Europe teaches English as a second language anyway, we don't need it to be the first language anywhere in particular, but if everyone were bi-lingual it would make communication that much easier.

As to which language should be regarded as the ONE, there is only English, it's already the international language, we don't need another one.

English is a dynamic language, constantly changing, for example, this is the Lord's prayer, circa 1100 AD ..

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum;
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice