PDA

View Full Version : 'on the wagon' thread

fkdup74
07-18-2005, 12:32 AM
:01:

spent 6 hrs in the friggin 106 F heat at work today....hungover.....on 3 hrs of sleep

to hell with that, man :lol:

zapjb
07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Where in SoCal is it 106? Like Riverside?

ziggyjuarez
07-18-2005, 12:58 AM
:01:

spent 6 hrs in the friggin 106 F heat at work today....hungover.....on 3 hrs of sleep

to hell with that, man :lol:
Damn.Im in SoCal And i thought i had i bad.Im naked right now because its so fucken hot.

Smith
07-18-2005, 01:49 AM
It was 37 on thursday, then we got a shit load of rain, my back yard had puddles a foot deep, weird thing was the storm only lasted an hour.

Now its cool :cool:

fkdup74
07-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Where in SoCal is it 106? Like Riverside?

nah I'm just a few miles (about 20) southeast of ziggy

.....and he's naked :naughty:

zapjb
07-18-2005, 01:55 AM
I used to live in Torrance. You guys like in the valley?

fkdup74
07-18-2005, 02:01 AM
I used to live in Torrance. You guys like in the valley?

yeah, San Juaquin Valley, and it sux bawls
I'm right in the ass end of the valley,
surrounded by mountains, no nice ocean breeze or anything :(

and to boot we have some fucked air
get all the smog & shit from Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, etc
and that mixes with all the pesticides & crap they put on all the crops....
cuz out here in Arvin that's all you see is friggin farms, orchards & vineyards
with an occasional dairy farm or two to really add some spice to the air :sick:

NikkiD
07-18-2005, 02:10 AM
It was 37 on thursday, then we got a shit load of rain, my back yard had puddles a foot deep, weird thing was the storm only lasted an hour.

Now its cool :cool:

Got the rain here last night too (for an hour anyway), but it's still hot. :(

@Brain: The nice thing about not drinking, is not getting hungover. :P

fkdup74
07-18-2005, 02:21 AM
@Brain: The nice thing about not drinking, is not getting hungover. :P

you shoulda told me that last night :shutup:

:P

zapjb
07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Yeah I gotta live within 5 miles or so of an ocean.

Jon L. Obscene
07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Why is it called "On the wagon" or "Fallen off the wagon"?
And wtf does it actually mean?

I'm sure someone just made it up to annoy me.
I can't drink no more, so am I on or off the wagon?

As for heat.........well , I live in shitty england, nuff said.

Jonno :cool:

manker
07-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Why is it called "On the wagon" or "Fallen off the wagon"?
And wtf does it actually mean?

I can't drink no more, so am I on or off the wagon?

As for heat.........well , I live in shitty england, nuff said.

Jonno :cool:It's because in the days of yore, alcoholics were deemed to be insane by clergymen and doctors alike. Once every twenty days, a horse and cart was sent around the village. If you were 'on the wagon' then it meant you couldn't drink anymore because you were sent for rehabilitation.

In this case rehabilitation means being locked in a cage, without food or water, and daubed with a mystical potion made of herbs and blessed by holy men, until the madness subsided. Unsurprisingly this technique of curing madness had a very high success rate indeed, hence the practice was continued for centuries.

Once cured, the drunks were rounded up and delivered back to the village. Once they were 'off the wagon' they were free to drink.

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Everything we do has the secret purpose of annoying you. :ph34r:

Jon L. Obscene
07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
It's because in the days of yore, alcoholics were deemed to be insane by clergymen and doctors alike. Once every twenty days, a horse and cart was sent around the village. If you were 'on the wagon' then it meant you couldn't drink anymore because you were sent for rehabilitation.

In this case rehabilitation means being locked in a cage, without food or water, and daubed with a mystical potion made of herbs and blessed by holy men, until the madness subsided. Unsurprisingly this technique of curing madness had a very high success rate indeed, hence the practice was continued for centuries.

Once cured, the drunks were rounded up and delivered back to the village. Once they were 'off the wagon' they were free to drink.

Well fuck me I did'nt know that, I figured it was something to do with old england and our brilliant theories about stuff :rolleyes:

@Guil...... Yeah I know dude, the whole world was only created to annoy me, cos I'd be the centre of the universe...........no wait......or is that my centre is like a universe................which brings me to another question.....why is it called "Universe"? .....something to do with 1 I imagine.

Jonno :cool:

manker
07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh, wait.

In the days where every nobleman worth his salt owned a decent sea-worthy vessel for importing valuable commodities such as spices, cloth and gems. It was common practice for the crew to be given a ration of rum while at sea - this kept them happy while on long, boring voyages, it made the tedious trip go smoother.

However, once on dry land they needed to acquire a means of transporting the commodities from the trader to the place where the ship was docked - horse drawn wagons were almost always used.

Since bandits were a problem, the crew were ordered not to drink during this process - in order to keep their wits about them, ie. no drinking while on the wagon. Altho' often outnumbered, the crew were heavily armed with guns which easily repelled the lightly armed attackers, provided they were sober, that is.

Once the men were off the wagon and the goods had been safely transported to the ship, drinking resumed.

It really could be either, I always get them mixed up :P

bigboab
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
There are countless theories about 'On the wagon'. The oldest I can find is about prisoners on their way to execution in the 16th century. They were taken to their execution on a wagon. They were allowed to stop at a tavern for 'a last drink' When asked if they wanted more drink they replied they were not allowed because they 'were on the wagon'.:)

manker
07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
My theories are much better :snooty:

bigboab
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
My theories are much better :snooty:

Mines is much older. So am I.:lol:

fkdup74
07-19-2005, 02:14 AM
damn.
this sober shit is wierd :wacko:

what do people do on the wagon?
I could be three sheets to the wind by this time of evening.......

help.......anyone...... :unsure:

:P

zapjb
07-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Look within & learn.