PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Dave's Account?

manker
07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
It gives him a mesage that an administrator has banned his IP address.

It was probably his GepperRankings account he was using but since it's an IP ban, I don't think it matters.

Seems to me he hasn't done anything wrong - unless it was in GameboyWorld. I don't read that drivel.

I reckon it's a mistake, he said that it's okay for me to ask about it. So what's up :D

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
No IP's are banned by mistake.

Are we talking about TheDave?

EDIT:
Not so long ago we banned a proxy IP. I just checked all TheDave's used IP's and he also used that proxy/IP.

I won't remove the IP from the blocklist, so he needs to disable his proxy or change proxy.

Peerzy
07-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Yesh he's talking about TheDave.

He's done nothing wrong is teh Gameworld :unsure:

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 09:24 AM
And neither the "thedave" account nor the "gepperrankins" account bear the infamous mark of the banned.

manker
07-18-2005, 09:27 AM
No IP's are banned by mistake.

Are we talking about TheDave?

EDIT:
Not so long ago we banned a proxy IP. I just checked all TheDave's used IP's and he also used that proxy/IP.

I won't remove the IP from the blocklist, so he needs to disable his proxy or change proxy.Cheers, IKE :D

I don't think he uses a proxy but it may be that his ISP uses a local proxy for a lot of its users in the area. I don't really know the specifics of how it works but it might be a problem for him.

He could use a proxy to get around it, I guess - but then again, his IP is probably dynamic and a reboot might sort it out :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Isn't the IP tool thingy on this board a bit crap? I seem to remember a mod accusing DanB or SnnY of being UKResident afew months back.

Anyhow if by banning IP's you accidentally ban members then you need to stop banning IP's.

manker
07-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Dave still can't get on the board after re-booting and using teh proxies.

Is there some reason the proxy Dave appears to be stuck with is banned? If it's not something Dave did then this situation is a bit harsh on him :(

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Isn't the IP tool thingy on this board a bit crap?

it works fine :huh: It's only a bit slow sometimes when you do an IP search (because we have so many IP's stored in the DB)

Is there some reason the proxy Dave appears to be stuck with is banned? If it's not something Dave did then this situation is a bit harsh on him :(

The IP in question is banned because of BoB!1! .
I banned the IP after talking with Rperry (I think) on MSN about the BoB!1! account.

As soon as I see him online. I will ask him if we can remove the IP from the blocklist. I know the BoB!1! account was used by an old member here but I can't remember if it was TheDave or one of the other 2 that match this IP.

manker
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
it works fine :huh:

The IP in question is banned because of BoB!1! .
I banned the IP after talking with Rperry (I think) on MSN about the BoB!1! account.

As soon as I see him online. I will ask him if we can remove the IP from the blocklist. I know the BoB!1! account was used by an old member here but I can't remember if it was TheDave or one of the other 2 that match this IP.Ah, BoB!1! is Dave's RL mate. They both have the same ISP too.

I think he's a bit of an arse but kinda funny. Anyway, Dave shouldn't have to suffer so thanks for looking into it.

manker
07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Any news?

Dave still can't get on here, even with a proxy.

DanB
07-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Has it been sorted yet? :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
no. because I haven't talked with Rperry yet.

DanB
07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
So Dave can stay banned till then ? :huh:

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 09:36 PM

Dave isnt banned. the IP is blocked,
The IP was blocked for a reason. I'm not gonna post why etc...

So if he can't change IP he cannot access FST until I speak with Rperry,
I cannot say yet if we will remove the IP from the blocklist.

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 10:12 PM

Dave isnt banned. the IP is blocked,
The IP was blocked for a reason. I'm not gonna post why etc...

So if he can't change IP he cannot access FST until I speak with Rperry,
I cannot say yet if we will remove the IP from the blocklist.

Can't you make a decision by talking to the other mods on your team?

At the moment you make it sound as if the whole matter is up to Rperry when really it should be a team decision for something as important as this.

sArA
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I have posted a thread in team chat.....

RPerry
07-18-2005, 11:00 PM
I have just returned home to this, so sorry that there had to be a wait, I wouldn't have minded at all if the ban had been lifted if it was necessary. The ony confusion here is to why all of a sudden would there be a problem, I know Ike said it was banned recently, but it has been more than a month I believe, would have to check team chat to be sure of the time frame. Dave has been posting on here with his other account all this time , and there never was a problem, so why now :huh:

Snee
07-19-2005, 12:20 AM
'cos he can't get here no matter what, now.

Dunno' what is wrong, have you managed to do something to the board software to make it better at blocking proxied up ips?

RPerry
07-19-2005, 05:17 AM

Dunno' what is wrong, have you managed to do something to the board software to make it better at blocking proxied up ips?

not that I'm aware, so I believe the answer is no.... and the only ip that could have been blocked was blocked on 6/21 btw.... :blink:

manker
07-19-2005, 09:59 AM

not that I'm aware, so I believe the answer is no.... and the only ip that could have been blocked was blocked on 6/21 btw.... :blink:His ISP assigns local users to an IP block. Probably in groups of up to 100 users, they all share a T3 connection. There are several hundred such blocks all over the UK and probably about 15 in Dave's area.

He will stay connected to that hub (and therefore IP address) until such a time as he disconnects and when reconnecting there is no space at that particular hib - he will then get connected to one of his ISP's other T3lines and share that with several other users. Only then will he get a different IP.

His IP could switch everytime he disconnects or never, depending on the availability of a slot in the last hub he connected to.

Right - I may have got some facts and figures wrong there as it's from memory but that's basically the way it works. The upshot is that Dave isn't using a proxy and could be using the very same IP that BoB!1! used when he was banned some time ago.

Please lift the ban from the IP he is using because it's not really fair for him to get punished for what some other user did.

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Have you tried taking off these banned IP's because of Bob? That might work.

TheDave's IP seems to change at least once a week going by my board logs.

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Please lift the ban from the IP he is using because it's not really fair for him to get punished for what some other user did.

That's the fairest way to deal with I think, then TheDave can go around to Bob's house and punch him in the ovaries.

lynx
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
TheDave has been using the same IP on here for just over a month, but has used different one's before that.

If, as you seem to suggest, he has the ability to change his IP then why doesn't he simply do that?

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
TheDave has been using the same IP on here for just over a month, but has used different one's before that.

If, as you seem to suggest, he has the ability to change his IP then why doesn't he simply do that?

I don't think he does have the ability to change it himself, rather it gets changed at random intervals by his ISP.

manker
07-19-2005, 11:59 AM

If, as you seem to suggest, he has the ability to change his IP then why doesn't he simply do that?I didn't suggest that. He's tried using proxies and has rebooted several times.

There is nothing sinister going on here. Just that we need the mod's help to enable an established member to access the board.

Snee
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
My ISP does the same, I think my IP just changed after having been the same for months.

sArA
07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
We are working on it at the moment, although perhaps Dave could help by contacting his ISP and asking if he can change his IP or something?

we are trying to find a way of banning one without banning the other, which is proving pretty tricky especially as Bob and Dave both posted within 30 mins of each other with the same IP around the time Bob was banned which is rather odd......

manker
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
It's not that odd if you know they live within a few miles of each other, use the same ISP so were probably connected tho' the same proxy used by one of the ISP's hubs.

Anyway, even if this is resolved by Dave's IP switching, it's likely to rear it's head again when he gets connected to one of the IPs or proxies already banned by the team.

I don't think it's common practice to ban IP numbers, is it? Obviously Billy's isn't IP banned so why not say that 'BoB!1!' is banned but lift the IP ban on the particular address which is affecting Dave.

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 01:43 PM
The most sensible option would be to unban the IP address and monitor the situation. I don't think anyone is suggesting that TheDave is Bob just that there are a few oddities in the situation due to their proximity and same ISP.

Unless Bob is doing something heinous like trying to hack the board then I'm not sure why an IP ban is even needed. He wasn't even that a prolific poster here and I'm sure he's gone off to pester other boards with his idiocy. At worst he'd just be a fly-by-night nuisance like Billy Dean and a few other banned members. Easily ignored and re-banned.

Snee
07-19-2005, 03:43 PM
WTFux is going on?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/rst.gif*

*mine, not dave's.

{I}{K}{E}
07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
what does that have todo with Dave not being able to login?

Snee
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, I was starting, for a moment there, to think that the board was about to go ninja on all kinds of ips. was wondering if it does some kind of thing to see through proxies, like dave has been using to try and get in, and that that would be what I picked up :unsure:

DanB
07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
So is he allowed back in yet then?

{I}{K}{E}
07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
The IP is still on the blocklist

manker
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
The IP is still on the blocklistI don't get it. Why is the IP still on the blocklist.

It's Dave's IP. He hasn't done anything to warrant this being banned.

Are you seriously accusing Dave of wrong doing, or what?

DanB
07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Thats fair then ay :huh:

We have Billy Dean a well known banned member up to his old trolling tricks in the Drawing Room and he is happily allowed to carry on with no one saying anything, yet you aren't prepared to just ban the BoB!1!1 account and lift the ip ban for an unbanned & long time member to be able to surf the board?

Btw this is RPerry who seemed to think by looking at ip's that me and SnnY were Billy Dean :lol:

{I}{K}{E}
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
atm I think Bob was banned when using Daves computer, (because the IP matches both users within 30 min.)
So it is possible that Dave used the Bob account when it got banned.

When we have decided if we will remove the IP from the block list we will post it here.

manker
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
We have Billy Dean a well known banned member up to his old trolling tricks in the Drawing Room and he is happily allowed to carry on with no one saying anything, yet you aren't prepared to just ban the BoB!1!1 account and lift the ip ban for an unbanned & long time member to be able to surf the board? Exactly. I said a similar thing too.

The situation is ridiculous.

manker
07-19-2005, 04:54 PM
atm I think Bob was banned when using Daves computer, (because the IP matches both users within 30 min.)
So it is possible that Dave used the Bob account when it got banned.

When we have decided if we will remove the IP from the block list we will post it here.I've already told you how it's possible that they posted from different locations yet had the same IP.

Btw, it's fairly low that you imply Dave posted those things that BoB!1! (the idiot) did. I would be highly offended if I were him.

He's been a member for 2 years, surely you know him a little better than that.

DanB
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
We have Billy Dean a well known banned member up to his old trolling tricks in the Drawing Room and he is happily allowed to carry on with no one saying anything, yet you aren't prepared to just ban the BoB!1!1 account and lift the ip ban for an unbanned & long time member to be able to surf the board? Exactly. I said a similar thing too.

The situation is ridiculous.

You don't say :pinch:

Do you remember that thread in Sportsworld when we used the same proxy for 10 minutes to post?

Does that mean you were in my house somewhere? :angry:

Snee
07-19-2005, 05:13 PM
For what it's worth, I can vouch for the fact that Dave and BoB are different people, 'cos to my knowledge they definitely are.

Didn't they do some radio thing together, btw? Or did I dream that.

tesco
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Didn't they do some radio thing together, btw? Or did I dream that.
They did 1, then gepperrankins was made into "FST Radio Dude" and never did another show. :frusty:

If the rest of the team agree that ip will be unblocked soon.

missie
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
This is totally pathetic.
If it was a mod/admin having trouble signing in, I bet the ip ban would be lifted without thought. Dave has been a helpful member of this board for years, I honestly dont see why there is such a problem here.

So others who have had their ip banned will be able to post again? And?
It's not worth losing one valuable member just to keep a few eejits banned, who will have probably have found a way around it anyway if they really wanted to.

If I were Dave, I would be mighty offended right now.

manker
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Cool. Thanks, Ross.

Edit: Well said, missie :D

sArA
07-19-2005, 06:10 PM
FFs people!!

The Dave/Gepper Rankins is not banned, nor is he being penalised for any wrong doing or anything at all. Give us a break!!

We are sorting it out...have a little patience and stop being so bloody paranoid and uppity. Anyone would think that he had been actually banned for no reason and we mods/admins were being gits!

You lot know it aint the case and you are just trolling.

As for the Billy thing, I rather got the impression that people were enjoying the opportunity for a bit of a flame war. :lol:

Peerzy
07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
I have the same thing. My Ip is the same as thousands of other people who are with NTL in the south east of England. It makes it impossible for me to use that Rapidshare upload website because it says you are already downloading another thing with the same ip :frusty:

My real ip is like 82.* but for forums and other stuff show as like 62.0.0.1 or something ghey like that.

JPaul
07-19-2005, 06:19 PM
As for the Billy thing, I rather got the impression that people were enjoying the opportunity for a bit of a flame war. :lol:
Not me, I find his anti-semitism offensive.

Sorry to go off topic.

Free The and so forth.

JPaul
07-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I have the same thing. My Ip is the same as thousands of other people who are with NTL in the south east of England. It makes it impossible for me to use that Rapidshare upload website because it says you are already downloading another thing with the same ip :frusty:

My real ip is like 82.* but for forums and other stuff show as like 62.0.0.1 or something ghey like that.
I'm with NTL as well.

They use the proxy and huge big cache to speed stuff up. That way they store oft requested info and then send it direct when requested again. They update periodically, or you can also do it with ctl+F5 (I think) to do a proper refresh rather than from NTL.

missie
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
:unsure: Sorry Sara.

Anyone would think that he had been actually banned for no reason and we mods/admins were being gits!

So I presume a mod has already pm'd Dave to tell him exactly why he isn't able to access the forum, and the great ip debate involved then.

Snee
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
WRT Billy, Can't say I mind attacking him the way he has attacked others, or that I don't enjoy making him angry, but I'd rather see him banned, 'cos fair is fair, and he has had his chances for redemption, and let them slip away too many times already.

WRT Dave, it's a shame that he can't get here over someone else's ban, and I'm very much hoping it gets resolved soon. And I really don't think he had anything to do with BoB's mess.

Peerzy
07-19-2005, 06:32 PM
WRT Billy, Can't say I mind attacking him the way he has attacked others, or that I don't enjoy making him angry, but I'd rather see him banned, 'cos fair is fair, and he has had his chances for redemption, and let them slip away too many times already.

Agree'd, what happened to being banned means banned? I remember just after Sam was banned Mod's were saying how he could not come back. Yet you let some troll come back and leave him because it looks like the current members are having fun abusing him :blink:

@Jp - Yeah it's quite handy at times, it means i show up as thousands of other people within my area. It also makes me litterally untraceable unless you know my real ip (which isn't publically used anyway so i would have to tell you it) but other times its teh ghey. For example on some places i have accounts to ftp's and such linked with my ip (my real one) so i have to find that out every time and see if it's changed since my last login and shit :ermm:

Dave's problem seems slightly harsh. If the member had been a mod or forum star or whatever im sure everyone would have sorted it out super fast, just because Dave doesn't post news posts or spot NZB's means he's expenadable untill 3 weeks later when someone remembers.

RPerry
07-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Thats fair then ay :huh:

We have Billy Dean a well known banned member up to his old trolling tricks in the Drawing Room and he is happily allowed to carry on with no one saying anything, yet you aren't prepared to just ban the BoB!1!1 account and lift the ip ban for an unbanned & long time member to be able to surf the board?

Btw this is RPerry who seemed to think by looking at ip's that me and SnnY were Billy Dean :lol:

seems I never pm'ed you at all Dan, If memory servers me right, I only accused you of using the same Proxy as SnnY, and he actually told me first that you might be, cause he " gave you some proxies, though he couldn't remember which one "

Snee
07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
In all fairness, you did make some fairly suspicious posts that seemed aimed at one or the both of us, and when you pmd me, it was fairly logical to think of that.

And I'm not sure, but I think you also mentioned that you had a match for another member.

Also, as far as I know dan has seen all the relevant pms I got from you, 'cos I put them up for him to look at :unsure:

EDit:
Btw, do me a favour and don't drag dan into this anyway, I gave him that proxy the other day on slsk, when he couldn't get here.

Anyway, I'll wipe that proxy now, so won't be using it any more, not that I can prove that.

Who was the other current member using the proxy? Or did you mean that the two current members were UKR and me?

Upon which you said you'd actually matched one IP to dan, but that it was another proxy.

Rat Faced
07-19-2005, 07:43 PM
We have Billy Dean a well known banned member up to his old trolling tricks in the Drawing Room and he is happily allowed to carry on with no one saying anything,

Clickity Click (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=98926)

{I}{K}{E}
07-19-2005, 07:46 PM
The IP has been removed from the blocklist

RPerry
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
In all fairness, you did make some fairly suspicious posts that seemed aimed at one or the both of us, and when you pmd me, it was fairly logical to think of that.

And I'm not sure, but I think you also mentioned that you had a match for another member.

Also, as far as I know dan has seen all the relevant pms I got from you, 'cos I put them up for him to look at :unsure:

EDit:
Btw, do me a favour and don't drag dan into this anyway, I gave him that proxy the other day on slsk, when he couldn't get here.

Anyway, I'll wipe that proxy now, so won't be using it any more, not that I can prove that.

Who was the other current member using the proxy? Or did you mean that the two current members were UKR and me?

Thats correct, and thats the exact Pm you sent to me. At that point I had not mentioned Dans name to you, though I did indeed have a match on his name for that IP. I never contacted Dan about that at all, only you SnnY.

JPaul
07-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Cheers, mate.

DanB
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM

Cheers :01:

Snee
07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
WTFux is going on?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/rst.gif*

*mine, not dave's.

It did it again.

This is very odd, and each time it happens I can't get in for a bit.:blink:

Snee
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM

EDit:

Thats correct, and thats the exact Pm you sent to me. At that point I had not mentioned Dans name to you, though I did indeed have a match on his name for that IP. I never contacted Dan about that at all, only you SnnY.
Yes, I know that, and I told you then I was going to tell dan.

So he didn't try and use a banned proxy to get here.

Not attacking anyone here, just stating facts:unsure:

DanB
07-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Yes, I know that, and I told you then I was going to tell dan.

So he didn't try and use a banned proxy to get here.

Not attacking anyone here, just stating facts:unsure:

That is true, it was SnnY that told me of the aspersion being cast against my good character

GepperRankins
07-19-2005, 08:26 PM
wow!

an entire thread about me and i just can't be arsed to read it.

thanks guys :01:

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 10:49 PM
wb dave:D

Well done mods.:01:

lynx
07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
I've already told you how it's possible that they posted from different locations yet had the same IP.
That's exactly what I was talking about when I said it appeared he could change his IP. Otherwise there would be no way that TheDave (aka GepperRankins) and BoB!1! could have the same alternating IP address within such a short space of time.

Anyway, I'm just glad he's back on the board.

sArA
07-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Welcome back The Dave/Gepper.

Phew...one problem solved....a mod's work is never done... :sigh:

Now.... :shifty:

manker
07-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I've already told you how it's possible that they posted from different locations yet had the same IP.
That's exactly what I was talking about when I said it appeared he could change his IP. Otherwise there would be no way that TheDave (aka GepperRankins) and BoB!1! could have the same alternating IP address within such a short space of time.

Anyway, I'm just glad he's back on the board.That just proves is IP is dynamically assigned - not that he can alter it at will. My point was that at the time, either Dave or BoB!1! rebooted and, by chance, reconnected to the same hub/proxy server that the other was connected to.

I also said that their IP could change every time they disconnected or not at all. He can't do it when he likes - it's down to chance (whether there is a free slot in the last hub they'd connected to).

He'd tried several times to alter his IP but it wasn't working. I'd already posted that too.

manker
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
FFs people!!

The Dave/Gepper Rankins is not banned, nor is he being penalised for any wrong doing or anything at all. Give us a break!!

We are sorting it out...have a little patience and stop being so bloody paranoid and uppity. Anyone would think that he had been actually banned for no reason and we mods/admins were being gits!

You lot know it aint the case and you are just trolling.

As for the Billy thing, I rather got the impression that people were enjoying the opportunity for a bit of a flame war. :lol:That's just bollocks.

I'd explained the situation with his IP and shown that he and BoB!1! could have been using the same IP at that time. I'd explained that some ten hours before the ban was lifted.

To sort it out required a few clicks to remove his current IP from the block list but posts were made by members of the team which unequivocably stated that you lot thought either Dave was using BoB!1!'s account or that BoB!1! was using Dave's computer.

Implying that Dave either made or condoned the racist rubbish that BoB!1! posted.

Which would have offended me if I was Dave.

I completely stand by my posts.

Peerzy
07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Correct me if im wrong but can't you change your ip through CMD?

/ip release
/ip renew

Or something like that?

lynx
07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
That's just bollocks.

I'd explained the situation with his IP and shown that he and BoB!1! could have been using the same IP at that time. I'd explained that some ten hours before the ban was lifted.

To sort it out required a few clicks to remove his current IP from the block list but posts were made by members of the team which unequivocably stated that you lot thought either Dave was using BoB!1!'s account or that BoB!1! was using Dave's computer.

Implying that Dave either made or condoned the racist rubbish that BoB!1! posted.

I completely stand by my posts.Do you seriously expect us to believe that for weeks on end Dave had the same IP, but by some miracle there was a half hour period when Dave lost that IP, Bob gained it, then lost that IP and Dave got it back again? And in between he just happened to make that offensive racist post. Please, go and take a reality pill.

It is quite obvious that the post in question must have been made from Dave's pc, and I'm certain that Dave knows it. But that doesn't imply that Dave made
or condoned Bob's post.

If that offends Dave, I'm sure he's capable of saying so, quite frankly I don't particularly care how it makes you feel since it doesn't involve you.

The reason for the delay in removing the IP block is that the blocked IP was not the same as the one he had been using for the previous month, which caused some confusion.

JPaul
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
If you do that it gives you the same IP unless someone else has taken it, I think. But then I don't know squat about these things and just make stuff up as I go along.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM
That's just bollocks.

I completely stand by my posts.Do you seriously expect us to believe that for weeks on end Dave had the same IP, but by some miracle there was a half hour period when Dave lost that IP, Bob gained it, then lost that IP and Dave got it back again? And in between he just happened to make that offensive racist post. Please, go and take a reality pill.

It is quite obvious that the post in question must have been made from Dave's pc, and I'm certain that Dave knows it. But that doesn't imply that Dave made
or condoned Bob's post.

If that offends Dave, I'm sure he's capable of saying so, quite frankly I don't particularly care how it makes you feel since it doesn't involve you.

The reason for the delay in removing the IP block is that the blocked IP was not the same as the one he had been using for the previous month, which caused some confusion.
manker pretty much hit the nail on the head. have you seen any log files where me and bob have exactly the same IPs as eachother, or are you just taking RPerrys word for it?

i reckon it could be possible that we had the same IPs on the same day even, but neither of us disconnected around the time he got banned. it's taken over a month for me to fall into the banned IP feild as well

manker
07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
That's just bollocks.

or condoned Bob's post.

If that offends Dave, I'm sure he's capable of saying so, quite frankly I don't particularly care how it makes you feel since it doesn't involve you.Yes I do expect you to believe it. I believe it because I know Dave and trust him, he said that they were in different houses when the posts were made. Dave and BoB!1! were conversing on MSN at the time.

You've known Dave for longer than me so yes - I fully expect you to trust his word.

I said the post was bollocks because I wasn't trolling. In fact I'd been fairly polite. If you aren't bothered if how I feel then thats a matter for you but I'm a member who was politely expressing concern about how the moderating team goes about their business.
The reason for the delay in removing the IP block is that the blocked IP was not the same as the one he had been using for the previous month, which caused some confusion.No shit, so no IPs had been banned that night and the IP he'd been using for a month to post every day on this board wasn't blocked.

Well done, Miss Marple. How did you come to that conclusion.

Obviously, you needed to know the IP with which he was trying to access the board. Something already provided by Cheese.

So which is it?

Either you took ten hours to figure out how to lift the block or you thought Dave was posting as BoB!1! and you thought he should be banned but then decided against it.

{I}{K}{E}
07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
we found it strange that they used the same IP within 30 min. so we needed to check that out, because it was possible that Dave used the bob account.

Being a member here for over 2 years doesn't mean its not possible he would post such a reply.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
edit: :dry: @ ike

yeah it is possible that i'd post such a reply but i'd have to kill myself, if not for missing my own point but for the terrible grammar. (for those that never saw a bob post, it's worse than one of mine. or should i say "mine")

manker
07-20-2005, 10:26 AM
we found it strange that they used the same IP within 30 min. so we needed to check that out, because it was possible that Dave used the bob account.

Being a member here for over 2 years doesn't mean its not possible he would post such a reply.Ah, so when lynx said that the reason for the delay was because it was a bit tricky to lift the IP ban - he was talking thro' his arse.

Thought so.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
has anyone checked the log files yet?

{I}{K}{E}
07-20-2005, 10:33 AM

Being a member here for over 2 years doesn't mean its not possible he would post such a reply.Ah, so when lynx said that the reason for the delay was because it was a bit tricky to lift the IP ban - he was talking thro' his arse.

Thought so.

I changed my post, it first said it was both. what lynx said and what I just posted. but I removed that line because it looked stupid with your quote (looked like I agreed with you that lynx is 'stupid').

There were some things that were confusing. but everything is fixed now...

manker
07-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Ah, so when lynx said that the reason for the delay was because it was a bit tricky to lift the IP ban - he was talking thro' his arse.

Thought so.

I changed my post, it first said it was both. what lynx said and what I just posted. but I removed that line because it looked stupid with your quote (looked like I agreed with you that lynx is 'stupid').

There were some things that were confusing. but everything is fixed now...
:lol: :D

Okay, mate.

lynx
07-20-2005, 10:42 AM
manker pretty much hit the nail on the head. have you seen any log files where me and bob have exactly the same IPs as eachother, or are you just taking RPerrys word for it?
Yes, I have seen logs of that, were you trying to imply that RPerry was lying? In actual fact there appears to have been a mistake in the IP that was blocked, it was the one you were using up until a few days before the offending post, which is why there was some confusion about how come it has taken a month to take effect. I could go back and tell you the exact dates, but to be honest I can't be arsed.

i reckon it could be possible that we had the same IPs on the same day even, but neither of us disconnected around the time he got banned. it's taken over a month for me to fall into the banned IP feild as wellIf neither of you disconnected, then how could the other get the same IP? Caught by your own statements.

manker
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah, basically one of you would have had to have disconnected for you both to have the same IP if you hadn't previously. It's just the way it works.

Well self pwned, Dave - or should I say BoB!1! :dry:

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes, I have seen logs of that, were you trying to imply that RPerry was lying? In actual fact there appears to have been a mistake in the IP that was blocked, it was the one you were using up until a few days before the offending post, which is why there was some confusion about how come it has taken a month to take effect. I could go back and tell you the exact dates, but to be honest I can't be arsed.

i reckon it could be possible that we had the same IPs on the same day even, but neither of us disconnected around the time he got banned. it's taken over a month for me to fall into the banned IP feild as wellIf neither of you disconnected, then how could the other get the same IP? Caught by your own statements.
it was kinda my point. the mod team must've made a mistake, or just lied about us two using the same IP within minutes

{I}{K}{E}
07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
it was kinda my point. the mod team must've made a mistake, or just lied about us two using the same IP within minutes

That was my mistake, I didnt read the times correct :blushing: instead of a couple of minutes it was ~30 min.

Guillaume
07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

That was my mistake, I didnt read the times correct :blushing: instead of a couple of minutes it was ~30 min.

Now, that deserves a punishment.

:naughty:

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 11:05 AM
we used the same IP within 30 minutes? seriously?

so that would require us both to disconnect and reconnect within that half an hour without overlapping. unless maybe it's possible to share an IP from different locations. according to whatismyip.com my IP begins 86 and i have a proxy begins 213, which one is logged?

{I}{K}{E}
07-20-2005, 11:09 AM

lynx
07-20-2005, 11:09 AM
If neither of you disconnected, then how could the other get the same IP? Caught by your own statements.
As far as I could see, the mistake made was in blocking a previous IP.
There was no mistake in the statement that you and Bob were posting from the same IP at the time of the offensive post. So if you didn't disconnect (and if as you claim you were chatting on MSN you couldn't have done) then how could you both get the same IP?

I'd stop digging now, you are getting in over your head.

{I}{K}{E}
07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
As far as I could see, the mistake made was in blocking a previous IP.

:huh:

The IP that I banned was the IP used by BoB!1! when he posted those replies in the Swastica thread.
and that was the IP I removed from the blocklist yesterday.

lynx
07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Dave, it looks like I owe you an apology.

When I did a lookup of the recorded IPs you've used (using whoisview) it appeared to tell me that the IP addresses were owned by individuals, not that they were proxies.

I've just done another lookup, and RIPE are now filtering all sorts of info. I know there have been all sorts of upheavals at RIPE in the last few days, it seems they are no longer giving out the info in the same format. I can only guess that is what has caused the bad info.

% This is the RIPE Whois query server #2.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Note: the default output of the RIPE Whois server
% is changed. Your tools may need to be adjusted. See
% http://www.ripe.net/db/news/abuse-proposal-20050331.html
% for more details.

More details about the proposals they've now implemented here. (http://www.ripe.net/db/news/abuse-proposal-20050331.html)

Sorry again for any embarressment I may have caused.

JPaul
07-20-2005, 11:35 AM

When I did a lookup of the recorded IPs you've used (using whoisview) it appeared to tell me that the IP addresses were owned by individuals, not that they were proxies.

I've just done another lookup, and RIPE are now filtering all sorts of info. I know there have been all sorts of upheavals at RIPE in the last few days, it seems they are no longer giving out the info in the same format. I can only guess that is what has caused the bad info.

%
% for more details.

More details about the proposals they've now implemented here. (http://www.ripe.net/db/news/abuse-proposal-20050331.html)

Good speech.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
ok here's what actually happened.

-the whole swastika arguement took to the thread in everything related... sub-forum
-as the whole argument died down bob logged on, on his PC (probably about 15-20 miles away)
-i, thinking the whole thread was kinda funny sent him a link over msn. i expected him to just read it.
-he posted something about everyone being politically correct pussies and he was gonna go burn some jews (from his PC) and told me about it on msn.
-i kinda felt bad for introducing a troll and making the mods do some work so i sent a PM to the first mod i saw (RPerry) apologising for it.
-the reply said i'd get banned if i didn't cut out the trolling, then bob posted again. i got a message saying i'd be banned
-i said it wasn't me, then was told we shared an IP until i started using a proxy
-bob was banned

a month passed

-suddenly, i'm banned

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM

%
% for more details.

no problem, i wasn't offended or anything. it was just a bit of fun

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer2/FishingRod.gif

JPaul
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM

-the whole swastika arguement took to the thread in everything related... sub-forum
-as the whole argument died down bob logged on, on his PC (probably about 15-20 miles away)
-i, thinking the whole thread was kinda funny sent him a link over msn. i expected him to just read it.
-he posted something about everyone being politically correct pussies and he was gonna go burn some jews (from his PC) and told me about it on msn.
-i kinda felt bad for introducing a troll and making the mods do some work so i sent a PM to the first mod i saw (RPerry) apologising for it.
-the reply said i'd get banned if i didn't cut out the trolling, then bob posted again. i got a message saying i'd be banned
-i said it wasn't me, then was told we shared an IP until i started using a proxy
-bob was banned

a month passed

-suddenly, i'm banned

One can see your POV.

One can also see the mods POV.

Crossed wires happen. Surely it's all sorted now. Including a chap apologizing for t'misunderstanding

EDIT - Oh you wee rodding scamp.

lynx
07-20-2005, 11:42 AM

-bob was banned

a month passed

-suddenly, i'm banned
You were never banned, it's simply that your proxy (the IP we see) has gone back to being the one that was blocked. That's why I said I thought that IKE had inadvertently blocked an earlier proxy, otherwise you would have been blocked immediately.

Edit: bastard. :P

manker
07-20-2005, 11:44 AM

%
% for more details.

Sorry again for any embarressment I may have caused.That is appreciated.

Even tho' it's nothing to do with me, it's still appreciated.