PDA

View Full Version : Man commits suicide after learning harry potter spoiler

Hunted
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Something off topic a bit... but on another forum someone posted that someone (who I checked how far from me... is like 1h39m away) went and killed himself due to hearing a spoiler...

Originally Posted by http://www.borowitzreport.com/archive_rpt.asp?rec=1169&srch
MAN COMMITS SUICIDE AFTER LEARNING HARRY POTTER SPOILER
‘I No Longer Have a Reason to Live,’ Says Despondent Potter Fan

A rabid Harry Potter fan took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling opus, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.”

Jude Ralston, 32, of Hudson, Ohio left a suicide note indicating that since overhearing the plot spoiler at a shopping mall earlier in the day, “I no longer have a reason to live.”

Family and friends who gathered for a candlelight memorial outside Mr. Ralston’s house remembered a man who seemed to live only for Harry Potter – and wondered if they could have done anything to prevent his tragic fate.

“When Jude got that vanity license plate that said ‘Hogwarts,’ that seemed harmless enough,” said Polly Clovis, who attended Model U.N. with Mr. Ralston while the two were in high school. “But when he started wearing that wizard hat around town, we really should have seen that as a cry for help.”

According to friends of Mr. Ralston, the Potter fanatic had done everything in his power to protect himself from stumbling across Potter plot spoilers, even disconnecting his computer from the Internet and avoiding his favorite vintage comic book store.

Ms. Clovis said that she hoped Mr. Ralston’s death would cause federal authorities to tighten the flow of Harry Potter plot information to prevent similar tragedies from taking place.

“In my heart I believe that could have saved Jude’s life, even if he didn’t have one,” she said.

Elsewhere, President Bush called the jailing of a New York Times reporter “a positive step,” but warned that many other reporters were still at large.

{I}{K}{E}
07-18-2005, 09:40 PM
/split post

Guillaume
07-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Haha very funny. :D

But this doesn't belong here, IKE, move it to funny stuff.

vidcc
07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Perhaps the story is true...perhaps not...people commit suicide for what can often seem very silly reasons. I do think it may be just a bit of silliness written in response to the silly reactions to the Potter series.... I do think Karl Rove should be investigated to make sure he definitely has "no involvement" in the leak :shifty:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Harry Potter sucks.

^^Spoiler Above^^

Snee
07-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Man commits suicide after learning harry potter spoiler

I once sat through one of the movies, I can understand killing yourself over that, but a spoiler can't be that bad :unsure:

manker
07-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Harry Potter sucks.

^^Spoiler Above^^
:lol: :D

Spoiler above jokes rawk.

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I saw the headline on BBC News " Rowling 'dreading' end of Potter".

Of course she fucking is, she won't be able to make any more obscene amounts of money once she's finished writing the series and then she'll be exposed for the fraud she is when she tries to write something else.

bigboab
07-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Is Harry Potter a new make of car?

sArA
07-18-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't see anything fraudulent about being a one (?) hit wonder...I just find it a little sad.

Of course, that bloke was nuts if true...but it will just feed the 'bonkers' people's paranoia...and I really do wish that those evangelical do-gooders would pack it in and loosen up a bit.

bigboab
07-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't see anything fraudulent about being a one (?) hit wonder...I just find it a little sad.

Of course, that bloke was nuts if true...but it will just feed the 'bonkers' people's paranoia...and I really do wish that those evangelical do-gooders would pack it in and loosen up a bit.

Have you got your eye on one of them Sara.:rolleyes:

sArA
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
My evil eye?? :1eye:

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe when her money dries up she'll write a series of prequels about how Voldemart became evil?

You know, like that other no-talent hack George Lucas did with Star Wars.

That would suck as well.

sArA
07-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Maybe when her money dries up she'll write a series of prequels about how Voldemart became evil?

You know, like that other no-talent hack George Lucas did with Star Wars.

That would suck as well.

Bah humbug.

Virtualbody1234
07-18-2005, 11:11 PM
That guy is going to miss out on book #7. :lol:

JPaul
07-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I haven't read any of the books.

I have watched the films and enjoyed all of them. More than once.

The stories and the production values are kewl.

Tho' to be fair I have simple tastes. I enjoyed all of the Star Wars films as well.

Rizindon
07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
very sad

MCHeshPants420
07-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Perhaps it wasn't the fact the story was spoiled for him but rather it was that the plot spoiler was so implausible that he killed himself?

"What, how the fuck could that happen? She's making it up as she goes along. Dammit, I've wasted my life on this trash. Ah well, where's them sleeping pills?"

cpt_azad
07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Killing yourself over Harry Potter, WTF :blink:

Worst book(s) ever

Snee
07-19-2005, 12:11 AM

Worst book(s) ever
You read books? :ohmy:

I'd never have guessed that about you :unsure:

vidcc
07-19-2005, 12:21 AM
"What, how the fuck could that happen? She's making it up as she goes along. Dammit"

Don't all fiction writers do that :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 12:25 AM
"What, how the fuck could that happen? She's making it up as she goes along. Dammit"

No.

vidcc
07-19-2005, 12:26 AM

No.
So fiction is not made up then?

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 12:28 AM
No.

No.

vidcc
07-19-2005, 12:29 AM
does the tooth fairy exist ?

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 12:35 AM
does the tooth fairy exist ?

Yes. But there is more than the one that your question implies.

lynx
07-19-2005, 12:51 AM

Worst book(s) ever
You read books? :ohmy:

I'd never have guessed that about you :unsure:Not enough pictures for him. :shifty:

Culpinat0r
07-19-2005, 01:14 AM

No.

if fiction isn`t made up then what`s non-fiction? :huh:

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 01:25 AM
No.

if fiction isn`t made up then what`s non-fiction? :huh:

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm hoping that vidcc was just being obtuse with his original comment (as opposed to being dense) so I decided to be obtuse in kind.

BigBank_Hank
07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
I do think Karl Rove should be investigated to make sure he definitely has "no involvement" in the leak :shifty:
:lol: :lol: I demand a grand jury investigation.

@El Capitan – Do you have a lot of time for reading while in training for the Canadian Air Force?

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
@El Capitan – Do you have a lot of time for reading while in training for the Canadian Air Force?

For some reason I imagine a book with people flying on broomsticks would be good training for a Canadian Air Force hopeful... :P

BigBank_Hank
07-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Stop picking on that poor kid and help me fix my Audioscrobbler :P

vidcc
07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm hoping that vidcc was just being obtuse with his original comment (as opposed to being dense) so I decided to be obtuse in kind.

Sorry to say this but your hope (and your alternative) are way off mark.

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 01:59 AM

So you were just being a twat then.

Edit: No need for a question mark.

Busyman
07-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Ms. Clovis said that she hoped Mr. Ralston’s death would cause federal authorities to tighten the flow of Harry Potter plot information to prevent similar tragedies from taking place.

STFW!!! STFU!!! :angry: :angry:

If someone kills themselves over finding out that Harry Potter's best friend dies at the end GOOD RIDDANCE. :angry: They were idiots with no life. :ermm:

This book isn't the end all be all of aaathing. I've already had a vomit session since watching news footage of idgits "wanting to be first" to have the book.

Again folks need a life....including kids (it does get them reading more though :( )

vidcc
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM

So you were just being a twat then.

Edit: No need for a question mark.

Whatever makes you happy in your life :rolleyes:

muchspl3
07-19-2005, 02:40 AM
here is the video of the guy who made him kill him self if anyone wants to watch it...
http://www.uploadhut.com/upload/217012.mov?
and here is the ytmnd of it...
http://pottercrash.ytmnd.com/

vidcc
07-19-2005, 02:43 AM
If someone kills themselves over finding out that Harry Potter's best friend dies at the end GOOD RIDDANCE. :angry: They were idiots with no life. :ermm:
I think it is likely that the person had to have serious problems in life in general and this could have been the last straw...we don't have that information.

Just like the reports of people doing things after playing video games the Harry Potter connection could just be sensationalism

Rip The Jacker
07-19-2005, 02:49 AM
I was going to post this, but the whole artricle seemed fake to me. :unsure:

vidcc
07-19-2005, 02:57 AM
I was going to post this, but the whole artricle seemed fake to me. :unsure:
I did question the story in my first post..I am still undecided but the thing is as silly as it is, sillier things happen all the time :( So I am posting as if it's true :wacko:

Elsewhere, President Bush called the jailing of a New York Times reporter “a positive step,” but warned that many other reporters were still at large.

this bit is totally unconnected with the story but true (the jailing not bush saying "good start").......

MCHeshPants420
07-19-2005, 03:03 AM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/potter.asp

muchspl3
07-19-2005, 03:19 AM
watch that video, he /himself

Rip The Jacker
07-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I was right. :P

JPaul
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM

Actually I think the good ones sort of plan ahead, rather than making it up as they go along. Makes for a more coherent storyline, or so I'm told.

Barbarossa
07-19-2005, 08:39 AM

Snopes Rules! :01:

missie
07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
finding out that Harry Potter's best friend dies at the end

Whaaaaaaaat? :ohmy:
Tell me Ron doesn't die.
No, don't tell me anything.

Why did I even click on this stupid ass thread? :frusty:

JK Rowling > Dan Brown
:happy:

Guillaume
07-19-2005, 06:54 PM
JK Rowling > Dan Brown

Anybody who can hold a pen > Dan Brown.

Gemby!
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
nothing wrong with dan brown OR harry potter (or the writer of harry potter for that matter)

:snooty:

missie
07-19-2005, 06:59 PM

Except for Shakespeare, of course.

DarthInsinuate
07-19-2005, 07:00 PM
didn't he use a quill?

edit: :shifty:

Guillaume
07-19-2005, 07:01 PM

Except for Shakespeare, of course.

Cause they only had quills at the time.

Or are you starting teh roddage too? :frusty:

Edit: feck. Darth was faster.

DarthInsinuate
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
:01: forgot they were called quills though :shifty:

missie
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
The quill is mightier than the sword? :blink:

Meh, ok.

Guillaume
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
The quill is mightier than the sword? :blink:

Meh, ok.

Tell that to Pushkin.

Edit: bah, he was shot. I'm not good at smart-arsery tonight, should go bed now.

Smith
07-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Weird.

ironkoala
07-22-2005, 06:37 PM
wtf

sArA
07-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Isn't qwill what whales with a speech impediment eat? :blink:

Where's me coat? :blushing: