PDA

View Full Version : Router speed

keyser_soze
07-19-2005, 10:40 AM
I do'nt get the mbps and kBps/kbps thing and was wondering if my wireless router and cable are giving me the full 1.1mbps from my isp? I use the wireless adapter on my laptop so have my pc connected through an ethernet cable.

lynx
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

keyser_soze
07-20-2005, 09:25 PM
I've tried testing at peak and off peak times and I get peak time usually 600>700 kbps off peak between 900>1015 Kbps (inc. overheads) so I guess I'm getting somewhere near my speeds, I may have sort of asked the question wrong :unsure: I was trying to find out if my ethernet port, cable or router might have any limitations on my connection speed? I have 2 lan ports 1.fast ethernet port which allows 100Mbps of data to LAN
2.Gigabit lan port that allows 1Gigabit of data transfer to LAN (currently connected to this port) built into the board, connected to my router via a cable. I'm not sure of the routers capabilities because it was provided by my isp I'm trying to find that out from them, so I guess to summarise which of the 2 ethernet ports is best to be plugged into and why does it give 2 differing speeds and do the ethernet cables themselves have limitations on how fast they can transfer data and if so what are there limits?
Most of these questions stem from I'm thinking of moving to a 2mpbs connection and want to make sure the rest of my hardware will keep up with that.
cheers :)

lynx
07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm intrigued.

If your tests are giving the result you show, then you haven't got any bottlenecks at your end. Your network and broadband hardware is easily capable of handling the data rates.

So why are your relatively low data rates dropping at peak times? Quite frankly, what you've shown is not acceptable, and the bottleneck is in your ISP's network. You haven't said who they are or how you are connected, but I recommend that you find an alternative ASAP.

keyser_soze
07-20-2005, 11:37 PM
My isp is wanadoo, I don't always get this problem those were the average results from tests taken tonight but I will be keeping any eye on it from now on, do you think my hardware will manage the move to 2mbps?

lynx
07-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Your current hardware should handle up to 8mb/s, that's the limit of your adsl modem. That's always assuming that the wireless is 802.11g, or if it is only 802.11b that you've got a good signal.

If your 12 month lock-in is up, have a look at f2s (http://www.freedomtosurf.net/). Best move I ever made. You've got the hardware so the changeover will be free. Everyone will have 8mb/s available, hopefully by the end of the year. That costs £15+vat for the upgrade, mine's already pre-booked. :w00t:

keyser_soze
07-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Cheers I checked the link out definitely worth investigating more
That's always assuming that the wireless is 802.11g I think it is but my main pc is not on wireless its on a cable into the router, I use wireless for my work laptop but im not fussed about the speed that gets as I use my main pc for gaming and most stuff, myisp is offering a 2 mbps service which I'm fancying because the router is still theirs I have to give it back when I cancel the contract so I guess if im not gonna change soon I might aswell be getting the 2 mbps for the same price even though I lose my umlimited contract for a 30 gig one. :(