PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Makes Longhorn Performance Promises

tesco
07-20-2005, 02:36 AM
By Mary Jo Foley
Monday, July 18, 2005

Just weeks before the Beta 1 bits are expected to hit, Microsoft has committed to some specific metrics around the kind of fundamental improvements Longhorn will deliver.

For the past several years, Microsoft has been promising that Longhorn would deliver some substantial security, reliability and performance improvements.

But until the worldwide partner conference in Minneapolis in mid-July, company officials had not quantified the benefits that Longhorn — the version of the Windows client operating system, due in 2006 — would deliver.

Amy Stephan, a senior product manager with the Windows client unit, outlined some of the various Longhorn "fundamentals," including systems management and deployment features, which Microsoft is readying.

Stephan told conference attendees that Longhorn will:

launch applications 15 percent faster than Windows XP does
boot PCs 50 percent faster than they boot currently and will allow PCs to resume from standby in two seconds
allow users to patch systems with 50 percent fewer reboots required
reduce the number of system images required by 50 percent
enable companies to migrate users 75 percent faster than they can with existing versions of Windows.

The technologies which will deliver these enhancements have yet to be unveiled in full. But much of that functionality should, at least in theory, be part of Longhorn Beta 1, which is expected to go out to testers by early August. Microsoft said recently that it is planning to provide a refresh of the Beta 1 bits by mid-September at the Professional Developers Conference. Beta 2 isn't slated until some time in the first half of 2006, however. Beta 2 will be the first wide-scale Longhorn beta release to feature the new Aero user interface.

The final Longhorn release is still due in the latter half of 2006, company officials reiterated at the partner conference.

Stephan said Microsoft's goal is to allow administrators to install Longhorn on new systems in 15 minutes.

In addition, Microsoft is planning to provide a single, common scanning tool that will allow Longhorn users to check on their patch state. The Windows client team also is working on improving Longhorn's patch discovery and reporting capabilities, and is planning on enabling patches to be applied directly to the aforementioned system images.

Longhorn will allow users to customize the help system with their own annotations; provide new "guided recovery" help for "unbootable" systems; and deliver improved, proactive diagnostics for things such as hard-drive failure, battery-life and other performance-related features, she said.

On the security front, Longhorn will deliver more than a dozen new security enhancements, Stephan said. Microsoft officials have discussed most, if not all, of these features over the past couple of years. New security features slated for Longhorn include everything from Network Access Protection quarantining and browser lock-down, to protected user accounts and anti-malware protection, over the past couple of years.

"Our preliminary research shows that Longhorn will help drive down costs in administering and managing PCs," Stephan concluded. "It will lower security, deployment, administration and support costs" in a way that hasn't been seen since the company delivered Windows 95 ten years ago."

Microsoft Reveals New Longhorn, Office 12 Features
Microsoft Shuffles the Longhorn Management Deck
Microsoft To Share Its Plans for Longhorn RSS Support
Longhorn to Get a Social-Networking Infusion
Longhorn Evangelism 'Team 99' Resurfaces

At the partner show, Microsoft execs showed off Longhorn client build 5086, a pre-beta release that went to selected Technology Adoption Program participants earlier this month. They also demonstrated a Longhorn feature called "Meeting Space" that is designed to allow users to conduct impromptu meetings via P2P.

As of late, company officials have taken to describing the three Cs in Longhorn, meaning the three buckets of features that are part of the core operating system. In the "confidence" bucket are all kinds of security and manageability features. In the "creative" one are technologies, such as like browse/search/subscribe (Internet Explorer and RSS) and the forthcoming user interface. And in the "connected" bucket are features like Meeting Space and synch technology for plugging in wireless devices of all kinds.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/news/news_source.gif Source: http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1838263,00.asp

Afronaut
07-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Hyping.

peat moss
07-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Hyping.

NO .......... promises , promises , promises ! :D

BawA
07-22-2005, 02:24 AM
promising, mybe ill wait till this longhorn thingy comes out and ill buy a 64bit intel with lotsssss of ram cuz i presume that all of thoes enchacments wont work if u dont have what it requiers(more rams ofcourse).

IKT
07-22-2005, 03:45 AM
promising, mybe ill wait till this longhorn thingy comes out and ill buy a 64bit intel with lotsssss of ram cuz i presume that all of thoes enchacments wont work if u dont have what it requiers(more rams ofcourse).

The performance enhancements are based on current technology, and you should be able to run longhorn on current hardware.

On another topic:

Why would you buy intel LOL? besides the fact they are just shit and outdated (AMD currently has the fastest Single Core, Dual Core and 2, 4, and 8 way* (*intel dosn't have any competition to an 8way opteron) Server Processor which translates down the line to a faster cpu for you) you could buy an nf4 and AMD athlon 64 3000+ skt 939 now cheaper than a current intel offering and then in a couple years time upgrade to a dual core cpu and add more ram which will still be cheap compared to DDR2 and still have an awsomely fast computer compared to intels overpriced comparison.

Thats what I've done, my DFI NF4 SLI-DR has 8 SATA Ports! so I can add SATA Blu-Ray Burners and heaps of hard drives later and I have 2 ram slots available so if I decide I need more ram I can add another gb later total 2gb which is more than enough, socket 939 is compatible with dual core cpu's so when the prices come down I can upgrade, not to mention the board has PCI and PCI-E Ports so when the creative X-Fi comes out I can add either the pci-e version of pci version, the board itself has every awsome feature you can think of.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

Get the best mobo, and a low end cpu, decent amount of ram, decent hard drive, mid range video card and then in a year or 2 upgrade cpu and ram you can add a second mid range card for sli, or get a new mid range one because its pci-e, or instead of doing a total makeover every year or 2, just upgrade along the way, as I do, add more hard drives, ram etc

Next month I'm getting a Samsung 250GB SATA2 NCQ HDD, and a 40GB Sata drive, I'm going to use the sata drive as my testing ground for longhorn.

damn I'm bored.

erRor67
07-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Seems like the "better preformaces" can be achieved in XP.. Look:

Longhorn's most useful feature "leaked "as XP tweak

Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.
Source: The Inquirer (http://anonym.to/?http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24749)

BawA
07-22-2005, 05:17 AM

The performance enhancements are based on current technology, and you should be able to run longhorn on current hardware.

On another topic:

Why would you buy intel LOL? besides the fact they are just shit and outdated (AMD currently has the fastest Single Core, Dual Core and 2, 4, and 8 way* (*intel dosn't have any competition to an 8way opteron) Server Processor which translates down the line to a faster cpu for you) you could buy an nf4 and AMD athlon 64 3000+ skt 939 now cheaper than a current intel offering and then in a couple years time upgrade to a dual core cpu and add more ram which will still be cheap compared to DDR2 and still have an awsomely fast computer compared to intels overpriced comparison.

Thats what I've done, my DFI NF4 SLI-DR has 8 SATA Ports! so I can add SATA Blu-Ray Burners and heaps of hard drives later and I have 2 ram slots available so if I decide I need more ram I can add another gb later total 2gb which is more than enough, socket 939 is compatible with dual core cpu's so when the prices come down I can upgrade, not to mention the board has PCI and PCI-E Ports so when the creative X-Fi comes out I can add either the pci-e version of pci version, the board itself has every awsome feature you can think of.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

Get the best mobo, and a low end cpu, decent amount of ram, decent hard drive, mid range video card and then in a year or 2 upgrade cpu and ram you can add a second mid range card for sli, or get a new mid range one because its pci-e, or instead of doing a total makeover every year or 2, just upgrade along the way, as I do, add more hard drives, ram etc

Next month I'm getting a Samsung 250GB SATA2 NCQ HDD, and a 40GB Sata drive, I'm going to use the sata drive as my testing ground for longhorn.

damn I'm bored.

i know it can be used on same hardware that i got, i just wanted a new pc and i thought to wait for both Longhorn and 64bit inte to arrive and then buy it.
according to what u said of intel... i love intel and am happy with it, thier more reliable and as a 'old said' says at what stage AMD stops functionining(burns) Intel just starts http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon8.gif

{I}{K}{E}
07-22-2005, 07:59 AM

The difference in boot speed between XP and Longhorn isnt made by changing one reg key. :lol:

{I}{K}{E}
07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Activewin appear to be on a roll this evening, with the schedule of key Windows Vista dates as follows:

* Beta 1: 7/27/05
* Beta 2: 11/16/05
* RC0: 3/17/06
* RTM: 6/28/06

Bear in mind these are unconfirmed dates. Microsoft is expected to annouce the name of Windows Longhorn in a press release that will go live at 6am PDT.

IKT
07-23-2005, 04:44 PM
thier more reliable and as a 'old said' says at what stage AMD stops functionining(burns)

Dude, I'm sorry to say, but your about 4 - 6 years late with that comment.

I have seen so many of you people mentioning that amd's start on fire, which I have personally not seen in the hundreds of systems I've built since 2003 and actually seen the oposite with at one stage something like 10 customers bringing back there comps complaining of too high noise because just like you they believed intel was still reliable, the Intel "PressHOT" cpu fan was sitting @ 5000+RPM struggling to keep the cpu cool making a f*ckton of noise,

so Back in 2003 AMD went in the oposite direction to intel and introduced Cool N' Quiet, (get it) my athlon 64 hardly goes over 40dc on FULL LOAD 24/7 with my heater on and thats without Cool N Quiet on, whereas my brothers pc (2.4Ghz Celeron) sits @ 50 and when on full load can go as high as 65dc and when slightly overclocked can reach critical tempreture 75+ and shut down the pc to prevent from damage.

Its actually Intel these days that is unreliable (see toms hardware Intel Dual Core vs AMD Dual Core) where the brand spanking new intel cpu does not work on something like 6 mobos and has to be restarted countless times due to high tempretures.

If you keep up with the News Intels Technology Is Redundent.

Here is some info on Cool N' Quiet:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E10272,00.html

tesco
07-23-2005, 05:28 PM

The difference in boot speed between XP and Longhorn isnt made by changing one reg key. :lol:
:lol:!

Silly me is gonna try it anyway. :blushing:

peat moss
07-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I liked this quote for those of us who like it simple.

Among the key features of Vista are a new searching mechanism, lots of new laptop features, parental controls and better home networking. There will also be visual changes, thanks to Avalon, ranging from shiny translucent windows to icons that are tiny representations of a document itself.

On the business side, Microsoft said Longhorn will be easier for businesses to deploy on multiple PCs and will also cut costs by reducing the number of times computers will have to be rebooted

IKT
07-23-2005, 08:52 PM

Longhorn's most useful feature "leaked "as XP tweak

Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.
Source: The Inquirer (http://anonym.to/?http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24749)

OCAU Tried it, it made for an interesting reaction but in the end BS.

erRor67
07-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, i know. I tried it before i posted it and didnt notice that much of a difference. Just though i would spread the word and see what results other people get. ;)

Tylerrought
07-24-2005, 04:29 AM
i didnt noticed much from it, my pc does boot about 5 seconds faster. but im not sure if thats just a thing that happens that seems like it happens from 1 thing when it really isnt there at all and im just thinking it does because i changed something.