PDA

View Full Version : To me, terrorism is exciting

muchspl3
07-20-2005, 03:45 AM
I think the very idea that someone might set off a bomb in Macy's and kill several hundred people is exciting and stimulating, and I see it as a form of entertainment.

Guyver
07-20-2005, 04:27 AM
what.....

bigboab
07-20-2005, 05:22 AM
You have a problem.:(

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
i agree. it's kinda cool, apart from the death and everything. but the conspiracy theories, amateur (bad) detective work and then arguing about your theories. watching the police doing their security crap at the bus station. live feeds on the news of what could be the next bomb. makes a day more interesting

i only wish more people would learn about the terrorists :isupportterrorism:

Skiz
07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
...I see it as a form of entertainment.

:isupportterrorism:

Idiots...nuff said. :dry:

ahctlucabbuS
07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Stupidest post today ? :dry:

Mr. Blunt
07-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I find it strange that I agree with muchspl3 and GepperRankins. The day seems much more exciting now.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 09:25 AM
you guys are lying to yourselves. you find it entertaining, shocking and distressing maybe. you watch the news and all the documenteries about terrorism. why would you do it if it wasn't interesting and entertaining. why would television bosses so much of primetime to these programs if it wasn't entertaining

ahctlucabbuS
07-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I somewhat agree, and the media knows how to earn money off the bad news too. IMO, This post came off as pretty unsympathetic for the victims though.

(work calls)

lynx
07-20-2005, 10:02 AM
you guys are lying to yourselves. you find it entertaining, shocking and distressing maybe. you watch the news and all the documenteries about terrorism. why would you do it if it wasn't interesting and entertaining. why would television bosses so much of primetime to these programs if it wasn't entertaining
Strange as it may seem, I watch news and documentaries for information, not entertainment. I think the repetitive indulgence of the media is sick. And I think those who find it entertaining are sick too.

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 10:12 AM
it's got better camera work and special effects than any hollywood movie (don't know about the plot though :ermm: ). you find it entertaining. no-one will think any less of you if you admit it

Skiz
07-20-2005, 10:22 AM
it's got better camera work and special effects than any hollywood movie (don't know about the plot though :ermm: ). you find it entertaining. no-one will think any less of you if you admit it

I will. :unsure:

Strange as it may seem, I watch news and documentaries for information, not entertainment. I think the repetitive indulgence of the media is sick. And I think those who find it entertaining are sick too.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

lynx
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Took the words right outta my mouth.You should floss more often. :sick:

GepperRankins
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
education is entertaining too :dry:

ahctlucabbuS
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Well there is a fine line between information and entertainment in many cases. You wouldn't watch it if you found the information to be completely dull. :mellow:

That said, I pretty much agree with your view on the media.

Edit: But of course, entertainment is the wrong word to describe my feelings about these things... I watch these things more in disbelief and shock than entertainment :dry:

To me, terrorism is exciting
I think the very idea that someone might set off a bomb in Macy's and kill several hundred people is exciting and stimulating, and I see it as a form of entertainment.

Rat Faced
07-20-2005, 05:36 PM
education is entertaining too :dry:

Especially "Human Reproduction" mock Practical Tests :rolleyes:

Illuminati
07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
This is weird :huh:

Manker's nowhere around, but I feel the presence of a rod nearby. :unsure:

Rat Faced
07-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I have never asked you to feel my rod... im certain of this :unsure:

vidcc
07-20-2005, 06:06 PM
I think there is a difference between entertainment and information about what is going on around us. A lot depends on ones ability to separate the two.

We watch acted violence on TV and in movies all the time for entertainment. There is a perversion about human nature that makes us "rubberneck" an accident on the road. Death comes to us all and we are obsessed with the need to know what happens when we die.

Watching acts of terror on the news has one difference from watching a movie and that is the fact that is real. So we are still detached from the reality to a degree...... Until we become personally involved by way of a loss. If one of your family or someone close to you is the victim then any perverted entertainment factor is removed.

This is a generalisation

lynx
07-20-2005, 11:36 PM
This is a generalisationThat seems a little harsh.

Who was it? Schwartzkopf? Powell?

I just thank god I've never been Generalised.

vidcc
07-20-2005, 11:44 PM
This is a generalisationThat seems a little harsh.

Who was it? Schwartzkopf? Powell?

I just thank god I've never been Generalised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/videonation/images/archive/nil_main.jpg :pinch:

erRor67
07-21-2005, 12:20 AM
i agree. it's kinda cool, apart from the death and everything.[...]
Well duh, terrorism is death. :rolleyes:

And believe me, u wont find it "exciting" if your directly involved. <_<

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM

This clarifies so many things about you, Dave; thank you.
do you actually know what?

i can admit destruction is awe (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=awe)some and i like to rubberneck. i can admit i am entertained in the same way an action or horror movie entertains me, the same way a rollercoaster entertains me. i can admit i like the rush of the fear and adrenaline.

tracydani
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Maybe it's me but.... There is a big difference between being in awe of something or fascinated by something then by being entertained by it.

I think/hope that it is fascination or awe that you are feeling rather then entertained.

If these terrorist actions entertain you in the same way an action/horror movie do, then it would seem you don't quite have a full grasp of reality.

TD

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
awe is entertainig, n00b

Snee
07-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't find the accidents or terrorist attacks entertaining. I've been trying to see it from your side, but I really can't.

If I do watch the news and there's something about any such thing on, I don't get a rush, and I don't feel entertained. I might be glad that no one I know or love has been involved but I really don't get anything out of it beyond that.

But then I don't like or understand those people who'll hang around the sites of accidents with cameras, or people who buy police scanners in order to get information above accidents and such, either.

Had I a different moral code ('cos I think the key to being able to view it in another way is to be able to block out what's wrong about it), if my parents had brought me up in some other way, I might feel it was exciting, but as it is, the way I view the world doesn't allow for me to take pleasure out of tragedies the way you describe.

I know a lot of people do think like you, tho', so you definitely aren't alone.

tracydani
07-21-2005, 02:54 PM
awe is entertainig, n00b

Well you've certainly convinced me :lol:

TD

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't find the accidents or terrorist attacks entertaining. I've been trying to see it from your side, but I really can't.

If I do watch the news and there's something about any such thing on, I don't get a rush, and I don't feel entertained. I might be glad that no one I know or love has been involved but I really don't get anything out of it beyond that.

But then I don't like or understand those people who'll hang around the sites of accidents with cameras, or people who buy police scanners in order to get information above accidents and such, either.

Had I a different moral code ('cos I think the key to being able to view it in another way is to be able to block out what's wrong about it), if my parents had brought me up in some other way, I might feel it was exciting, but as it is, the way I view the world doesn't allow for me to take pleasure out of tragedies the way you describe.

I know a lot of people do think like you, tho', so you definitely aren't alone.
maybe entertainment is the wrong word, but it's human nature to be excited by danger and to rubberneck

Snee
07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I dunno' if I can agree with you completely, but it is human nature to be "excited" when you percieve that you are in danger, it's 'cos your body gears up the production of adrenaline to ready you for a threat.

It makes you stronger, faster and more alert.

I still wouldn't call it entertaining in itself, but as you say, that is probably the wrong word.

As for the rubbernecking bit, it's human instinct to make sure the danger isn't heading your way, I know that.

ahctlucabbuS
07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm

Did you remember the pop corn ?

MCHeshPants420
07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
War has never been so much fun.

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 03:57 PM
i think i saw something in this thread about how real-life is different from films, so you don't have the same feelings about real life.

that's bullshit. films are designed to be realistic. they're designed to play on your emotions and dettach you from the real world and take you away to another place. you form emotional links with the characters and feel scared for them and exhilerated by the random destruction, then upset when they die. only afterwards do you tell yourself it's only a film and forget it.

ian_28
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM

You are a sick mother arn't you.

MCHeshPants420
07-21-2005, 04:07 PM

:lol:

You've been a member for well over a year without making a post, obviously muchspl's comments have mightily offended you.

tracydani
07-21-2005, 04:09 PM
i think i saw something in this thread about how real-life is different from films, so you don't have the same feelings about real life.

that's bullshit. films are designed to be realistic. they're designed to play on your emotions and dettach you from the real world and take you away to another place. you form emotional links with the characters and feel scared for them and exhilerated by the random destruction, then upset when they die. only afterwards do you tell yourself it's only a film and forget it.

You do form links with the characters and the story, but you cannot say the feelings are quite the same.

At some level, you are always going to know that the movie is not real and the events taking place are not real. If that were not the case, I sincerely doubt you would stay in your seat, eyes glued to the screen busily munching away on popcorn and sipping your favorite beverage.

Likewise, I doubt many people stand at the barricades to these tragic events eating m+m's and elbowing their friends, nodding and grinning each time another body bag passes by.

TD

ian_28
07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
go and live in iraq if you want that sort of thing and leave innocent people out of it.

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM

You do form links with the characters and the story, but you cannot say the feelings are quite the same.

At some level, you are always going to know that the movie is not real and the events taking place are not real. If that were not the case, I sincerely doubt you would stay in your seat, eyes glued to the screen busily munching away on popcorn and sipping your favorite beverage.

Likewise, I doubt many people stand at the barricades to these tragic events eating m+m's and elbowing their friends, nodding and grinning each time another body bag passes by.

TD
of course you're gonna know that the people and events aren't real, but the feelings are the same.

DanB
07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I would have to disagree with you on that Dave.

Deep down in your subconscious you're brain knows that what its watching isn't real and therefore the emotions aren't as strong as they would be if it was real life in front of your eyes outside on the street

GepperRankins
07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I would have to disagree with you on that Dave.

Deep down in your subconscious you're brain knows that what its watching isn't real and therefore the emotions aren't as strong as they would be if it was real life in front of your eyes outside on the street
i believe the opposite. you can tell yourself it's just a movie, but in your subconscious you believe every second. that's why the feelings are with you when you're watching the movie

Tikibonbon
07-21-2005, 05:24 PM

TD

Well, after watching some live footage this morning, it appears there are a few police officers who were having a grand ol' time as they were having a throurough and prolonged laugh fest.

muchspl3
07-21-2005, 05:33 PM

:lol:

You've been a member for well over a year without making a post, obviously muchspl's comments have mightily offended you.
yep I get people to post one way or another..

ian_28
07-21-2005, 07:51 PM
yes by making such sick comments like your first post which is not highly amusing, it will be a different matter if it was you or one of your member of the family which had got hurt then probrably you think twice about posting such comments.

99%
07-21-2005, 08:06 PM
I get very fking excited when "normal" people are affected by the media and therefore think all foreigners are terrorists and cause an entire train to stop, bring in swat team because one of the somalis on the train had a mobile phone loader wire sticking out of his pocket.
All this in a country with 0% of any threat of attach (nor any history of bombing in the last 50 years...)
Journalists could you please stop trying to be sensationalists.

muchspl3
07-22-2005, 01:18 AM
yes by making such sick comments like your first post which is not highly amusing, it will be a different matter if it was you or one of your member of the family which had got hurt then probrably you think twice about posting such comments.
You have to be realistic about terrorism. Ya gotta be a realist: Certain groups of people--Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, Jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana--are going to continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long time. That's the reality. Angry men in combat fatigues talking to God on a two-way radio and muttering incoherent slogans about freedom are eventually going to provide us with a great deal of entertainment

brotherdoobie
07-22-2005, 06:28 AM
Children...have you taken your Ritalin? :dry:

Peace bd

MCHeshPants420
07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Didn't George Carlin do a skit about something along these lines?

Edit: I can't find any mention of it on IMDB, will have to rewatch all his vids.:(

bigboab
07-22-2005, 10:07 AM
You have to be realistic about terrorism. Ya gotta be a realist: Certain groups of people--Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, Jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana--are going to continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long time. That's the reality. Angry men in combat fatigues talking to God on a two-way radio and muttering incoherent slogans about freedom are eventually going to provide us with a great deal of entertainment

Its the old men with white beards who wander up mountains. come back down and say they have just been talking to someone and these are your new rules. They seem to get the most followers. There's no modern technology involved. No proof that there was another person up the mountain. But what the hell you can trust old Mo.:lol::lol:

crazikid
07-23-2005, 10:51 AM
your joking!

muchspl3
07-23-2005, 04:38 PM
your joking!
I am!

99%
07-23-2005, 04:40 PM
generation get your kiks for niks

maebach
07-25-2005, 03:59 AM
That's the oddest phrase ever. "To me, terrorism is exciting". But to think about it I too think it can be to some extent. The detective 'game' is played really cool. They have work to find them and also handle the public. I actually am starting to feel sorry for them. Then there's the terrorists, who randomly select a muslim (i'm not saying all terrorists are) person, give them a bomb and they go and kill many people.