PDA

View Full Version : Doing a fresh Reformat any tips?

imasoldier
07-22-2005, 10:00 PM
My computer has been terribly infected I have used over 20 different apps to remove them and nothing works. So it leaves me with no choice to to a reformat it needs one anyways. I already backed up everythinng and was wandering if you guys got any thing I should do after a reformat to remove all the crap it's going to contain from my Dvd reformat CD My computer is HP.

peat moss
07-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Other than havin back ups no, but a slipstreamed xp cd is handy to have .I would just make sure of your drivers but you can find on the net if need be. Oh one thing make sure you install all your antivirus and spyware etc; before going on the net to get your winupdates. Happy formatting . :)

You know I was just thinking it takes hours sometimes to get your computer settings back to how you had them . :( I like this site for tips you use the menu on the right to browse ,you might find something useful ?

Link : http://www.tweakxp.com/

SaYiaN
07-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Don't use the queer CD/DVD Recovery Disk that was included with your HP. Install a
Other than havin back ups no, but a slipstreamed xp cd is handy to have . CD to reformat..

After doing that , don't connect to the net yet. Install a

Anti-Virus
Firewall
Anti-Spyware(Reliable)
Anti-RIAA Prog(Peerguardian/Protwall)

I think i remember seeing an excellent guide to for an after-reformat to do.

I think someone in this board made the guide.

peat moss
07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Ya the one here ?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=97309

{I}{K}{E}
07-23-2005, 12:09 AM
My computer has been terribly infected

no its not.

have you tried what I posted in your other thread? that should work. if not. go in safe mode and the problem is solved.

peat moss
07-23-2005, 12:31 AM
My computer has been terribly infected

no its not.

have you tried what I posted in your other thread? that should work. if not. go in safe mode and the problem is solved.

Good point IKE , just read the thread . :)

Izagaia
07-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Since we are talking about an HP and the OS installed within the recovery partition, then odds are likely we are also talking XP Home version.

If this is the case and you are looking to simply obtain a version of XP without the extra "bloat" that usually comes standard with factory-installed software in PC's, then I would suggest using/obtaining the full retail version of XP Home via a P2P application. Preferrably, of course, with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The XP OEM identification/activation key used for your system should be stamped onto your tower's case somewhere. You could still use that I would imagine and still keep things looking and running fairly "legal".

peat moss
07-23-2005, 01:00 AM
@Izagaia define fairly legal . :D It is a pain to format when you don't have to. You IKE , and I would not have a problem but its still time consuming when you would rather just search the net and play on the computer. Mabye imasoldier, could save his, her the pain with a little more info ? :)

imasoldier
07-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Well I just reformatted my computer and I updated everything. All anti virus and firewall up. I uninstalled all the junk that came with the Cd using Crap Cleaner. Everything seems fine now. I didn't feal like downloading a Xp from p2p would take to long and I don't have the patience.

peat moss
07-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Well I just reformatted my computer and I updated everything. All anti virus and firewall up. I uninstalled all the junk that came with the Cd using Crap Cleaner. Everything seems fine now. I didn't feal like downloading a Xp from p2p would take to long and I don't have the patience.

Oh good ya the d/l is long but as long as you have all the sp2 updates you should be fine . Keep us posted to as any problems you may find . Good luck . :)

imasoldier
07-23-2005, 04:31 AM
Is there an easy way to get rid of the games that came with xp such as pinball.

RealitY
07-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Is there an easy way to get rid of the games that came with xp such as pinball.
Start -> Programs -> System Tools -> Disc Cleanup -> More Options -> Accessories And Utilities...

maebach
07-23-2005, 01:08 PM
that's not a bad idea, I never play those games anyways.

Izagaia
07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
@Izagaia define fairly legal . :D It is a pain to format when you don't have to. You IKE , and I would not have a problem but its still time consuming when you would rather just search the net and play on the computer. Mabye imasoldier, could save his, her the pain with a little more info ? :)

Well admittingly I have never tried it, however, I do not see why someone would not be able to use the legal XP OEM key that came shipped with a store-purchased PC with another (non-OEM version) copy of the same XP CD. One that of course you might not-so leagally obtain using eDonkey, Bitorrent or K-Lite.

So far as reformatting, I never keep anything on my own system that I could not live without or already have backed-up somewhere else. Reformatting is not a real problem for me and I really like to ensure that I have a clean, smoothly running system. And other than designing XP visual themes in my spare time, I do not actually do a great on my system that would consume all of my PC time. So spending alittle time now and then customizing things how I like them to be is not that big an ordeal for me. :)