PDA

View Full Version : Share ratio

threelions00
07-24-2005, 08:32 AM
What is a decent share ratio? I have read that it should be like 1 and a half...

I want to join a private tracker so making sure my share ratios are good would be a good start...

I have just reformatted my pc hence i have bad share ratios at the moment but i leave them going near on 24/7

Cheers, 3lions

threelions00
07-24-2005, 08:34 AM
btw...i have had d/l speeds of over 200 kb/s and upload of around 80k/bs if that is any help...

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 08:50 AM
please edit your post when you forgot something.

a good share ratio is 1.0 or better

manker
07-24-2005, 09:40 AM
What is a decent share ratio? I have read that it should be like 1 and a half...

I want to join a private tracker so making sure my share ratios are good would be a good start...

I have just reformatted my pc hence i have bad share ratios at the moment but i leave them going near on 24/7

Cheers, 3lions
When you join a private tracker, your share ratio will be set to zero. The only thing that will affect your share ratio with that private tracker will be what you seed and leech from that private tracker.

Any other uploading and downloading you from other trackers - whether public or private - won't affect your ratio with that tracker.

What I'm getitng at is that formatting your PC won't make any difference to your share ratio for a private tracker because that info is held on their servers.

As IKE said, a good ratio is around one. With your upload you shouldn't have any problems with that.

threelions00
07-24-2005, 09:53 AM
IKE, i did not break any rules there. Either give advice or just leave me to it. i am fed up of you continually telling me what to do. you did this last week so stop trying to push your weight around and leave me alone. Thank you

You will no doubt delete this on the grounds that it is not in the right place so please move it as opposed to deleting it.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 09:56 AM
IKE, i did not break any rules there. Either give advice or just leave me to it. i am fed up of you continually telling me what to do. you did this last week so stop trying to push your weight around and leave me alone. Thank you

You dont need to post another reply when you forgot something, you can easely edit your first post. :huh:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 09:58 AM
which is my choice whether i edit or submit a new post.

Vargas
07-24-2005, 10:11 AM
your "share ratio" used by the tracker isn't stored locally, so reformatting won't reset it.

edit sorry if manker covered this, i have him on ignore :lol:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Cheers, 3lions
When you join a private tracker, your share ratio will be set to zero. The only thing that will affect your share ratio with that private tracker will be what you seed and leech from that private tracker.

Any other uploading and downloading you from other trackers - whether public or private - won't affect your ratio with that tracker.

What I'm getitng at is that formatting your PC won't make any difference to your share ratio for a private tracker because that info is held on their servers.

As IKE said, a good ratio is around one. With your upload you shouldn't have any problems with that.

That's what manker said but thanks to you both for the help...

just have to wait for some invites or something....

btw...i have only just got back on the net and wiped everything clean and wasn't a member of any trackers which is why i was not sure about share ratios...

Vargas
07-24-2005, 10:22 AM
having a good ratio on a couple torrents, when your overall total ratio is around 0.100 makes you a bad guy, not worthy of getting invites

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:28 AM
having a good ratio on a couple torrents, when your overall total ratio is around 0.100 makes you a bad guy, not worthy of getting invites

As i said in another thread, (What is a decent share ratio? I have read that it should be like 1 and a half...

btw...i have had d/l speeds of over 200 kb/s and upload of around 80k/bs if that is any help...)

i have just started downloading again so my share ratio is not like shit hot yet...

The idea of this thread Vargas is just to make sure i am heading in the right direction to get an invite, not have someone become judgemental on me and declare that i am a bad guy for having a bad share ratio.

Although, i do accept i did not make it 100% clear...as always...

One last thing, how can i find out my total share ratio?

Cheers, 3lions

Vargas
07-24-2005, 10:33 AM
when i said bad guy, i was refering to what the private trackers will think of you, not you personally.

but back to the subject, you're downloading 10 times faster then youre uploading so your overall ratio is around 0.1, you need to upload as much, if not more then you download to have a good ratio (good guy in the eyes of the private tracker)

in other words: you will have to seed your torrents until each torrent has a ratio higher then 0.999 (on avarage)

as long as you keep seeding, and don't stop or remove torrents with a ratio below 1.000 (1:1) you should be OK

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:36 AM
when i said bad guy, i was refering to what the private trackers will think of you, not you personally.

but back to the subject, you're downloading 10 times faster then youre uploading so your overall ratio is around 0.1, you need to upload as much, if not more then you download to have a good ratio (good guy in the eyes of the private tracker)

i know you didn't mean personally!

what i tend to do is download something like a game and then will not download a lot and just stick to uploading...trouble is, my internet connection has been cutting out a lot and so when i leave for work and then come back, it has cut out and so it has not been uploading as i would it to...

but hopefully i am heading in the right direction...

would you say that 1:1 ratio would be fine? or more?

Cheers Vargas

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:41 AM
One last thing Vargas....

what if i have a file that nobody is uploading and it keeps my share ratio low? that makes me look bad when i can do nothing about it...

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 10:41 AM
seeding so many torrents doesn't work. it's better if you just seed a couple of torrents. (the once with only a few seeders)

you need to disable 'distributed DB' in Azureus if you want to use private torrent sites.

you can check the statics window of Azureus if you want to see how much you downloaded/uploaded to all trackers (and see what your overal ratio is)

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 10:48 AM
/merged threads.

Vargas
07-24-2005, 10:48 AM
One last thing Vargas....

what if i have a file that nobody is uploading and it keeps my share ratio low? that makes me look bad when i can do nothing about it...
well as long as your total uploaded data is greater then your downloaded data you're ok, but keep in mind that having a ratio of 2.00 on a 40MB torrent won't balance out having a 0.500 on a 700MB torrent, as you would still need to upload the 40MB one to a ratio of at least 7.75 to make your overall ratio 1.00

if i were you i would stick to public trackers, and leech away ;)

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Ok..my over all share ratio is 0.781

I will disable that feature and please could you define how many a few is because it is ranges from like 3 - 90...so should i leave on like 4 or 5 with 20 seeds or less? If that makes sense?

threelions00
07-24-2005, 10:58 AM
that's the thing tho, i don't just 'leech'...

i try to go to different sites and upload torrents so that then hopefully more people have access and more seeds...eventually...i hope that it will be quicker in the long term but we will have to wait and see...

3lions

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok..my over all share ratio is 0.781

I will disable that feature and please could you define how many a few is because it is ranges from like 3 - 90...so should i leave on like 4 or 5 with 20 seeds or less? If that makes sense?

5 or 6 is good.

You should check the difference in seeders/leechers, if there are 40 seeders and 1000 leechers you should seed that one instead of one that has 5 seeders and 20 downloaders

threelions00
07-24-2005, 12:07 PM
My question was not fully answered...would i need to restart all torrents again?

i am not planning to uninstall azureus just use another client. In my application data files, i have the torrents, could i just copy this folder and keep it and open torrents using that to share them if i set the new client as my default?

@IKE stop closing my threads please unitl they are fully answered, i will let you know when i have all the info i need as you have seen i have done that before.

GepperRankins
07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
i think so.

what you'd have to do is open the torrents in your new downloader, then when it asks where to save, select the files you've already started downloading. it should resume them like usual.

it worked when i switched from torrentstorm to azureus anyway

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 01:05 PM
if the torrent isnt finished yet and you want to change client you can open the torrent in the new client and choose the same savefolder

threelions00
07-24-2005, 01:16 PM
IKE...at what point did i mention stats? Try reading it properly...you are so fucking stupid at times and jump ahead too much, give your brain a chance to work before your ass kicks in to answer.

I asked if i would lose all the torrents, didn't mention stats dickhead? I am done with this place, you ruin it for me, whatever vendetta you have against me you can keep, as far as i am concerned, you are a shite moderator, not a touch on any of the others like rossco, lynx etc who will always give help and advice as opposed to things like 'use the search function' or 'you really should edit' or you give answers that just about touch on the subject and then close them because you deem them to be fully answered.

You should have a good look at your modding approach and try to be helpful rather than just putting your efforts (what little you do put in) into helping.

Thanks. 3lions

EDIT: Move this to the correct place if need be.

GepperRankins
07-24-2005, 01:19 PM
lounge :01:

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
IKE...at what point did i mention stats? Try reading it properly...you are so fucking stupid at times and jump ahead too much, give your brain a chance to work before your ass kicks in to answer.

I asked if i would lose all the torrents, didn't mention stats dickhead? I am done with this place, you ruin it for me, whatever vendetta you have against me you can keep, as far as i am concerned, you are a shite moderator, not a touch on any of the others like rossco, lynx etc who will always give help and advice as opposed to things like 'use the search function' or 'you really should edit' or you give answers that just about touch on the subject and then close them because you deem them to be fully answered.

You should have a good look at your modding approach and try to be helpful rather than just putting your efforts (what little you do put in) into helping.

Thanks. 3lions

EDIT: Move this to the correct place if need be.

did you read my last post? :huh:

we have an edit button. I changed my post 6 min. before you replied.

6 posts in this thread made by me were helpfull and/or gave information :frusty:

dickhead

threelions00
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
IKE...try www.dictionary.com

and thanks for the little dickhead mention at the bottom...

but my point still stands, you don't read things properly before giving an answer.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 01:39 PM
IKE...try www.dictionary.com

and thanks for the little dickhead mention at the bottom...

but my point still stands, you don't read things properly before giving an answer.

I'm srry that my English isn't perfect.

remember that English isn't my first language :frusty:

dickhead

threelions00
07-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I can tell that but then again, I may as well talk in any language and you see wouldn't be able to understand what i am after. Nevermind, I can put up with the broken English. I'm off now to google some forums. See ya

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 01:44 PM
I can tell that but then again, I may as well talk in any language and you see wouldn't be able to understand what i am after. Nevermind, I can put up with the broken English. I'm off now to google some forums. See ya

I can disable your account here if you want :huh:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
i will do, PM someone that is, probably ask Rossco or lynx...then i won't need to explain 18 times...

And another prime example of you putting your own misguided interpretation...

'better forum'....i said that when?

I'm wating for a PM so it may be a few days yet. But thanks for the offer of deactivating my account.

How about now you give me an explanation about the problem you have with me so I can just laugh at you and let you carry on being a goit.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 01:48 PM
:wave:

EDIT:

I have no problem with you.

You just need to understand that all my posts in this thread were made because I was trying to help you. :dry:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
How? By deleting my posts last week? By closing my threads? By offering me great advice such as search for the answer? How about you trying to be a bit more helpful by offering reasonable explanations to the post that put the time in to create a post that they felt necessary to gain further knowledge to help them solve a problem instead of clicking a few buttons and just getting rid of it. I accept it when I break a rule and I accept it when you move a post but it would still be better if you had some etiquette and offered explanations.

Thank you.

And with regards to the last post you closed about the top mod, it was another classic example of you assuming without asking.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:03 PM
How? By deleting my posts last week? By closing my threads? By offering me great advice such as search for the answer? How about you trying to be a bit more helpful by offering reasonable explanations to the post that put the time in to create a post that they felt necessary to gain further knowledge to help them solve a problem instead of clicking a few buttons and just getting rid of it. I accept it when I break a rule and I accept it when you move a post but it would still be better if you had some etiquette and offered explanations.

Thank you.

:lol:

I don't even remember which one of your posts I deleted last week :P

You know we have a search option.
As you can see we have a bittorrent section with +2000 thread.

If you don't want to use the search function and one of the mods closes your thread because your question has already been answered you dont need to get all pissed off. :dry:

Using google or our search fuction isnt that hard. :frusty:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
So why no explantions?

Using a spellchecker isn't that hard either. Why don't you write your replies in word, spellcheck them and then copy and paste them into the reply box, that way you would make more sense.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:12 PM
So why no explantions?

Using a spellchecker isn't that hard either. Why don't you write your replies in word, spellcheck them and then copy and paste them into the reply box, that way you would make more sense.

you see that I am right and then you start over my typos?

normally manker scans my posts before members can see them but he has a day off. :schnauz:

threelions00
07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
So why no explanations? Stop diversing to another subject.

manker
07-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Threelions, you're a fecking arse.

Everytime I post outside the off-topic area, it gets moved to the lounge.

missie
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Stop diversing to another subject.

You're in the lounge now, it's only gonna get worse.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM

WTF?

you started about my typos :dry:

what do I need to explain?
I told you why threads get closed.

threelions00
07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
FFS...manker, see that bit about me saying 'So why no explanations' and see that bit about me saying i accept it when you move my post...work it out...what am I asking for?

An explanation as to why he closes posts without giving an explanation, even if it isn't required, it would be better.

manker
07-24-2005, 02:28 PM

WTF?

I told you why threads get closed.It's okay, IKE :console:

He's going on about your typing and he's making up words. 'Diversing', for example.

It's kinda sad but is indicative of what happens when someone who really isn't very clever tries too hard to make themselves appear so.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:29 PM
An explanation as to why he closes posts without giving an explanation, even if it isn't required, it would be better.

WHAT DID I JUST POST????? (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1099826&postcount=34) :frusty:

manker
07-24-2005, 02:29 PM
FFS...manker, see that bit about me saying 'So why no explanations' and see that bit about me saying i accept it when you move my post...work it out...what am I asking for?

An explanation as to why he closes posts without giving an explanation, even if it isn't required, it would be better.I couldn't give two shits about your question.

I simply wanted to express that I think you're an arse.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM

enoughfakefiles
07-24-2005, 02:33 PM

An explanation as to why he closes posts without giving an explanation, even if it isn't required, it would be better.I couldn't give two shits about your question.

:ohmy:

/banned

missie
07-24-2005, 02:35 PM
And the worlds most pointless thread award goes to...

Gripper
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Its feckin hard to get you're ratio up on a private tracker,I should know been trying hard on one I joined got it up to .994 now overall,it is a struggle cause I can d,load a lot faster than up,and some have the rule that when you've dloaded x amount that's all that's allowed till you're ratio is up above 1,so it's back to the public ones and just hope the torrents i'm uploading stay live

threelions00
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
manker, freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, so i accept your opinion. Don't agree with it but I'm not going to bother with insulting you...especially as mother nature probably already did that for you.

And Chrissie, go back to your little hobbits and show them what a nice little easy girl you are by letting them have you 3 by 3.

Well all is answered now i guess, so close the post if you want IKE, you have my full, expressed opinion.

Cheers 3lions

Think I'll spend the rest of my hols doing something useful, like forgetting about silly little boys like manker and ike and strange little girls called chrissie...

see ya and I have sent a PM to the necessary person to have my account deleted or disabled, whatever, not bothered.

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
:wave:

shall I also add your IP to the blocklist? :unsure:

missie
07-24-2005, 03:06 PM
And Chrissie, go back to your little hobbits and show them what a nice little easy girl you are by letting them have you 3 by 3.

:lol: He's funny.

Can we keep him?

Peerzy
07-24-2005, 03:20 PM

Yes, and using Word for punctuation isn't hard either, which i would recommend you do.

i (Capital letter :rolleyes: ) will do, PM someone that is, probably ask Rossco or lynx...then i won't need to explain 18 times... (Doesn't make sense, needs the word this adding)

And (Starting a sentence with And) another prime example of you putting your own misguided interpretation...

'better forum'....i said that when?

I'm wating for a PM so it may be a few days yet. But thanks for the offer of deactivating my account.

How about now you give me an explanation about the problem you have with me so I can just laugh at you and let you carry on being a goit. (Yes, IKE is a goit)

Now shall i move onto your other posts?

IKE clearly has tried to help you, and all you've done is reply and flame him. Someone's on his period i think :rolleyes:

WTF?

I told you why threads get closed.It's okay, IKE :console:

He's going on about your typing and he's making up words. 'Diversing', for example.

It's kinda sad but is indicative of what happens when someone who really isn't very clever tries too hard to make themselves appear so.

Worse part is he's a teacher :lol:

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 04:00 PM
It's okay, IKE :console:

:)

me also noticed typos in his other posts but me didnt say anything bout that :snooty:

manker
07-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Meh, he's left before. (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=869827&postcount=1)

Insulted me, for some reason, just before he left then too.

Peerzy, I read before that he was a teacher. It's pretty easy pwning an 8 year old who isn't allowed to call him an idiot, but obviously when dealing with grown-ups he's sadly lacking in social skills. Preferring to throw his toys out of the pram and flounce out - never to return - when people think he's an arse.

I think these types of people are funny :schnauz:

bigboab
07-24-2005, 07:05 PM
There was 'grown ups' in this thread? Did someone delete their posts?

o.k. I know.:) There are still no grown ups in the thread.:lol:

Rip The Jacker
07-24-2005, 07:17 PM

Blah blah....
Yeah.... uh.... normally I don't say things like this... but... uh...

Jeez, what a bitch. :dry:

Gripper
07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
There was 'grown ups' in this thread? Did someone delete their posts?

o.k. I know.:) There are still no grown ups in the thread.:lol:]

AHEM :blink:

manker
07-24-2005, 07:24 PM
There were 'grown ups' in this thread? Did someone delete their posts?You're a retired teacher too.

Gym?

Spider_dude
07-24-2005, 07:41 PM
i thought his name was boab?

Smith
07-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Fighting with a mod is like fighting with a brick wall, you cant win.

Oh and threelions00 stop being such a douchebag to ike, all he is trying to do is help you and you keep finding some way to flame him.

and btw, i just used the "edit" button to add that last sentence it was quite easy ;)

enoughfakefiles
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/70/untitled1copy6to.jpg

:rolleyes:

Smith
07-24-2005, 09:34 PM

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/70/untitled1copy6to.jpg

:rolleyes:

:w00t: Supermans dad?

{I}{K}{E}
07-24-2005, 09:43 PM

That's not true... :unsure:
we also make mistakes :shutup:

Smith
07-24-2005, 09:44 PM

:ohmy:

enoughfakefiles
07-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Bujub used to tell us. :teamchat:

manker
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM

we also make mistakes :shutup:Perhaps he meant that he can't win.

Which is probably true :unsure:

Smith
07-24-2005, 10:35 PM
we also make mistakes :shutup:Perhaps he meant that he can't win.

Which is probably true :unsure:

Oh ya, he cant win because hes being stupid :)

ziggyjuarez
07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I never seem to agree with mike

Smith
07-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Whos mike?

sArA
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Ike's brother? :blink:

ziggyjuarez
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Whos mike?
http://www.thescrewshop.com/images/covers/mikejones-whoismikejones.jpg

manker
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Why do I laugh each time I read ziggy calling IKE, mike :unsure: :lol:

Gripper
:1eye: Cyke :w00t:

Rip The Jacker
http://www.bewarethecheese.com/ca%20mike%20and%20ike%20sml.jpg

:unsure:

ziggyjuarez
07-24-2005, 10:52 PM
:1eye: Cyke :w00t:
Kike (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kike)

Gripper
07-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Cyke short for cyclops,I,m not racist I hate everyone equally :whistling

manker
07-24-2005, 11:00 PM

:lol: :D

lynx
07-25-2005, 12:04 AM

Fruit and nuts. :blink:

Smith
07-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Whos mike?
http://www.thescrewshop.com/images/covers/mikejones-whoismikejones.jpg

Still Tippin' on four fours, wrapped in four fours :unsure:

missie
07-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Well, I'm off to have hawt sex with these hobbit triplets I found lurking around.

G'nights. :happy:

peat moss
07-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Wow I go to the beach for some fun in the sun , and miss all this great stuff . God Ike, my hats of to you for putting up with that butthead . Half way thru I wanted to come to your defence but glad I read all the way thru. :D