PDA

View Full Version : Could you kill a man.

JPaul
07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
with a thought (http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/comics/elvis.swf)

Smith
07-25-2005, 08:59 PM
So....

Snee
07-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Classic.

99%
07-25-2005, 09:59 PM
blimey, that's amazing

brotherdoobie
07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Yes...but not without a thought.

Peace bd

Busyman
07-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Huuuge waste of time. :dry:

Snee
07-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Weeble>David Chapelle (or whatever that boring git's name is).

Busyman
07-25-2005, 11:45 PM
:blink:

ziggyjuarez
07-26-2005, 12:15 AM
did he just say what i think he said :blink:

ziggyjuarez
07-26-2005, 12:15 AM
bTW that wasent funny

MCHeshPants420
07-26-2005, 12:18 AM
I liked Dave Chapelle in Half Baked. Other than that he's just a bit dull. Overrated.

Mr. Mulder
07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
season 1 was better than season 2, rick james was over rated, there were many better sketches :ermm:

ziggyjuarez
07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
season 1 was better than season 2, rick james was over rated, there were many better sketches :ermm:
agree

ziggyjuarez
07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
I liked Dave Chapelle in Half Baked. Other than that he's just a bit dull. Overrated.
disagree

Smith
07-26-2005, 12:55 AM
This is more boring than napoleon dynamite.

JPaul
07-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Only if you are a dullard.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 01:25 AM
As you said before...

It's like a whole different world

Funnier than Dave Chappelle? :lol: :lol:

No wonder British humor doesn't really catch on here....jeez. :ermm:

Someone puhleaze let me in on it. You guys are jiving around that you really thought that shit was funny.

I liked when JP posted Mr. Stabby (that was funny) but come on...you're kidding..right...I mean really, right..uh kidding? :unsure:

Busyman
07-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Huh?

Half-Baked was good but his show kicks that movie in the ass, 10-fold. Half-Baked isn't even a "must own" DVD.

Season 1 of his show ain't the number one selling TV show on DVD for nothin'. (Family Guy is number 2)

@ziggy - remember the Wayne Brady episode?....classic. :lol: :lol:

MCHeshPants420
07-26-2005, 01:36 AM
As you said before...

Someone puhleaze let me in on it. You guys are jiving around that you really thought that shit was funny.

I liked when JP posted Mr. Stabby (that was funny) but come on...you're kidding..right...I mean really, right..uh kidding? :unsure:

It's a cultural thing. American comedy isn't considered funny over here (Dave Chappelle isn't shown here on the main channels afaik, Seinfeld was relegated to the late late shift) and American's generally don't have the imagination to understand British humour.

MCHeshPants420
07-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Huh?

Half-Baked was good but his show kicks that movie in the ass, 10-fold. Half-Baked isn't even a "must own" DVD.

Now that I think about it Half Baked wasn't even that good.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
As you said before...

It's a cultural thing. American comedy isn't considered funny over here (Dave Chappelle isn't shown here on the main channels afaik, Seinfeld was relegated to the late late shift) and American's generally don't have the imagination to understand British humour.
Why is it that because someone doesn't like it they lack the imagination?

I get it. We have some shows (and comedians) with the same humor. However, the Weebl doohicky was slow and dry. I'll admit I tend to like humor that has crying and trying to catch my breath and not the "Aha, that sure was funny :naughty: ."

We call some stuff like that ....corny.

Tbh, I reeeally thought you guys were jiving about that Weebl skit.

Hell I didn't watch Seinfeld 'till it hit syndication. That's how it was with almost every black folk I know. I never watched one first run episode.

I believe it's about the accents...on both sides of the ocean.

We tend to have more diversity in our comedy while on you side the diversity would be just different Europeans.

It might the "melting pot" nature of our country.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Huh?

Now that I think about it Half Baked wasn't even that good.
If I were to ever watch it again...it would be while I'm falling asleep.

Smith
07-26-2005, 02:04 AM
According to my cousin that lives in manchester, english humor is very dry and sarcastic...

Busyman
07-26-2005, 02:09 AM
According to my cousin that lives in manchester, english humor is very dry and sarcastic...
I've peeped that. I tend to like the sarcastic part though. Plus not all English humor is that way.

I guess American's like more bust your gut in your face humor (I'm speaking from a black American perspective though).

We like alot of "why is it that...." humor as well. Normal every day things that upon reflection, are funny.

I remember one comedian named EarthQuake making a joke about the Nation Of Islam fellas that sell Final Call newspapers (and bean pies) at stop lights.

Every time you them, they are dressed to a tee...with sharp looking suits on with bow ties. However, they will be out there in 100 degree weather selling away and walking on asphalt.

He said, "Don't they have a Muslim short-set or sumthin?" and the crowd lost their minds. :lol: :lol:

vidcc
07-26-2005, 02:16 AM
We tend to have more diversity in our comedy while on you side the diversity would be just different Europeans.

How would that be different in "diversity" ?

Busyman
07-26-2005, 02:43 AM

For example, when I've watched British humor, it may encompass British, Scottish, and Irish. (I talking about the accent I hear).

Over here, we'll have that and Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Canadian, black American, Jamaican, Indian, Italian, Jewish, African, Arab........

A black Briton just sounds like the rest of the Britons.

A black American sounds nothing like a white American unless it's Bryant Gumble.(I know I'm generalizing)

We have a plethora of accents that can mixed together. I know it doesn't happen all the time but it ain't odd when it does.

brotherdoobie
07-26-2005, 02:48 AM
As you said before...

Cheese,you hit the nail on the head. It is a cultural thing.
However,many Americans find British humour funny,as
I am sure many Brits find American humour funny.

Dave Chappelle pokes fun at racism with his use of satire.
One of the characters in his skits,is a blind Ku Klux Clan
wizard who happens to be black,and doesn't realize it.
When he finds out...he leaves his wife, because he
refuses to be with someone who is a "nigger lover".

I find him hilarious...to each their own.

Peace bd

Busyman
07-26-2005, 02:49 AM
As you said before...

Cheese,you hit the nail on the head. It is a cultural thing.
However,many Americans find British humour funny,as
I am sure many Brits find American humour funny.

Dave Chappelle pokes fun at racism with his use of satire.
One of the characters in his skits,is a blind Ku Klux Clan
wizard who happens to be black,and doesn't realize it.
When he finds out...he leaves his wife, because he
can't be with someone who is a "nigger lover".

I find him hilarious...to each their own.

Peace bd
...and that was in the very first episode. :01:

Right then I was hooked.

Skiz
07-26-2005, 02:51 AM
I wish I could get that three minutes of my life back. :dry: BLIMEY!

brotherdoobie
07-26-2005, 02:56 AM

Hit the back button of your browser...it might work. :unsure:

Peace bd

vidcc
07-26-2005, 03:00 AM
For example, when I've watched British humor, it may encompass British, Scottish, and Irish. (I talking about the accent I hear).

Over here, we'll have that and Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Canadian, black American, Jamaican, Indian, Italian, Jewish, African, Arab........

A black American sounds nothing like a white American unless it's Bryant Gumble.(I know I'm generalizing)

We have a plethora of accents that can mixed together. I know it doesn't happen all the time but it ain't odd when it does.

It appears then that it isn't that British comedy has lack of diversity, it is that you lack diversity in the British comedy you have seen.

However my question was raised because you said

the diversity would be just different Europeans.

I asked how that would be different from our diversity because Europe isn't one culture or country and not one language.

I would add that Britain is just as, if not, more diverse as a nation than the USA.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 03:02 AM
Check this out. JP posted the first one awhile ago....

Mr. Stabby Goes To The Pool (http://www.rathergood.com/stabbypool/)
Mr. Stabby Goes Shopping (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Mr+Stabby+II/)
Mr. Stabby The Magician (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Mr+Stabby+3/)
Mr. Stabby The Piercer (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Mr+Stabby+4/)

Busyman
07-26-2005, 03:03 AM

It appears then that it isn't that British comedy has lack of diversity, it is that you lack diversity in the British comedy you have seen.

However my question was raised because you said

the diversity would be just different Europeans.

I asked how that would be different from our diversity because Europe isn't one culture or country and not one language.

I would add that Britain is just as, if not, more diverse as a nation than the USA.
Sorry I meant UK.

Plus I'm talking about television. I know Koreans, Japanese, Jews, etc migrate there and are born there. I wouldn't surprised if the UK has a Chinatown.

Many places in the US and Canada do.

Formula1
07-26-2005, 04:44 AM
This is more boring than napoleon dynamite.

I second that...

Mr. Mulder
07-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Plus I'm talking about television. I know Koreans, Japanese, Jews, etc migrate there and are born there. I wouldn't surprised if the UK has a Chinatown.

sort of, we call it "Birmingham"

Gemby!
07-26-2005, 08:52 AM
well i liked it :snooty:

uh huh huh

Snee
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
As you said before...

I really wasn't kidding, I don't like his brand of humour (and I'm not british btw). He just tries too hard, and a lot of it is about the colour of his skin.

Maybe I don't like him 'cos we don't really have that kind of system you do wrt ethnic groups, or maybe it's 'cos I only see the kind of person (and I don't mean people just of african descent, it's about the attitude too) he portrays, in american stuff, really, so it's not really real to me.

But I though Seinfeld was sort of funny, sometimes.

To each their own and all that.

Weeble rawks, I like it the way I like Monty Python, I like it 'cos it's surreal.

And that thing about diversity you said- :blink:

Guillaume
07-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Bleh. René Artois pwns Weebl and Dave Chappelle every day of the week. :01:

Busyman
07-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Wrong person in yer quote, Scully. :ermm:

Mr. Mulder
07-26-2005, 12:19 PM
n/m

:santa:

Busyman
07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
As you said before...

I really wasn't kidding, I don't like his brand of humour (and I'm not british btw). He just tries too hard, and a lot of it is about the colour of his skin.

Maybe I don't like him 'cos we don't really have that kind of system you do wrt ethnic groups, or maybe it's 'cos I only see the kind of person (and I don't mean people just of african descent, it's about the attitude too) he portrays, in american stuff, really, so it's not really real to me.

But I though Seinfeld was sort of funny, sometimes.

To each their own and all that.

Weeble rawks, I like it the way I like Monty Python, I like it 'cos it's surreal.

And that thing about diversity you said- :blink:
Indulge me please.

What was so funny about the Elvis/Weebl doohicky?

Good explanation on the Dave Chappelle thingamagig.

It goes along with mine...the "Why is that...." or "Don't you hate it when...." type of joke.

If you have never experienced/been around such things then you won't think it funny (which goes along with With's cultural whatchamacallit)

On diversity,
Dave Chappelle for instance, did a skit where he was a white supremacist..that was black but didn't know it.

We have comedy that can take our cultural differences and make it funny.

One time he had one, instead of the World Series Of Poker, he had the World Series Of Dice. It had commentators and everything but was set in a boiler room of a New York apartment projects. In the middle of the game, Charlie Murphy busts in and robs everyone.

Another classic.

What about the episode within an episode where they used the TV show Fear Factor and the crackhead Tyrone Biggums was a contestant........classic.

This stuff ain't a couple of chuckles and you think about how witty one of the jokes was. It's hurt yourself, slap yo momma, ROFLMAO!!!OMG!1!1!, catch your breath, laughter.

It's colorful.

So please...indulge me and explain the Weebl jahoogadoo. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance. :)

Snee
07-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes, that's very nice (well not really the way he does it, and pointing out differences as a comedic device was hardly something that was invented in the US, I think it's present everywhere in the world), but how in the world can you say that the US is more diverse than Europe :blink:

WRT the white supremacist thing, as it happens, this one writer, here in all places, wrote a story about a blind bloke hating black people and being a blind white supremacist, and being black himself, in the seventies. It's hardly an original concept (tho' I think his story was more serious than funny). I've got the book somewhere, read it when I was like eleven.

Weeble is funny in a monty python kind of way, 'cos it's absurd and surreal and slightly mental. I can't explain it beyond that if you don't get it.

Also, it takes a bit of thought, whereas that Chappelle stuff is, i dunno', crude.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes, that's very nice (well not really the way he does it, and pointing out differences as a comedic device was hardly something that was invented in the US, I think it's present everywhere in the world), but how in the world can you say that the US is more diverse than Europe :blink:

WRT the white supremacist thing, as it happens, this one writer, here in all places, wrote a story about a blind bloke hating black people and being a blind white supremacist, and being black himself, in the seventies. It's hardly an original concept (tho' I think his story was more serious than funny). I've got the book somewhere, read it when I was like eleven.

Weeble is funny in a monty python kind of way, 'cos it's absurd and surreal and slightly mental. I can't explain it beyond that if you don't get it.

Also, it takes a bit of thought, whereas that Chappelle stuff is, i dunno', crude.
No I wanted to actually explain the Weebl skit. Usually folks don't want to explain a joke 'cause it takes away from it. I don't care help me out. Really.
Keep in mind I like Monty Python..but this ain't the same to me. I loved the Life Of Brian movie.

Regarding Europe, read post 33. You musta skipped it. :dry:

Regarding Dave Chappelle's skit...when looking at comedy we don't get all into whether the story was heard before. In this case we looked at the execution ffs. I mean shit, now I've watched the skit probably at least 7 times and still think it's funny.

Wtf is this "it takes a bit of thought"?

If that's the case, it's explainable. :mellow:

I'd understand if it was a rocket science joke but usually when folks say that it just means they are insulting the intelligence of another for not liking their humor.

I've seen comedians on amateur night get up and do jokes where no one laughed and on occasion, some of them insulted the audience for "not laughing"....never once thinking that 'cause friends and mom thought it funny that maybe everyone else thought it rather **coughcough** drryyy.

lynx
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
I think SnnY was saying that whether you find it funny is simply a state of mind, not that there's anything to explain. He wasn't being insulting as far as I could see.

The "it takes a bit of thought" was in comparison to Chappelle's stuff, so if anything he was perhaps being insulting about Chappelle.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I think SnnY was saying that whether you find it funny is simply a state of mind, not that there's anything to explain. He wasn't being insulting as far as I could see.

The "it takes a bit of thought" was in comparison to Chappelle's stuff, so if anything he was perhaps being insulting about Chappelle.
But, I really want it explained.

Surely someone can explain a joke.

I know what you're saying. It's almost like " :blushing: making love :blushing: " versus " :w00t: let loose fucking :w00t: ".

Busyman
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes, that's very nice (well not really the way he does it, and pointing out differences as a comedic device was hardly something that was invented in the US, I think it's present everywhere in the world),
I kinda missed this one.

WTH said it was invented here? :dry: (comedic device? : verydry : )

I'm referring to jokes over here, smart fella. :dry:

vidcc
07-26-2005, 03:57 PM

Get your quotes right...busy said that not me :angry: :angry: :lol:

Edit: busy already pointed it out :lookaroun

Mr. Mulder
07-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Get your quotes right...busy said that not me :angry: :angry: :lol:

http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/PWNED.gif

manker
07-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Weirdly - well, weird in the black and white context of this thread - I don't like Weebl nor Dave Chappelle. However, I do like Monty Python.

Obviously, I'm much more discerning than you folk :snooty:

Busyman
07-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Weirdly - well, weird in the black and white context of this thread - I don't like Weebl nor Dave Chappelle. However, I do like Monty Python.

I can really see how you don't like Weebl. I looked at the Weebl and Bob website and it seems like something that is shown before breaking to commercial or advertising a TV channel.

There are fans somewhere though if they have a season 1 DVD set.

manker
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM

I can really see how you don't like Weebl. I looked at the Weebl and Bob website and it seems like something that is shown before breaking to commercial or advertising a TV channel.Funnily enough, Weebl and Bob came to my attention because they were stars of a TV commercial (which was funny).

I then looked for their website and didn't find it at all funny. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

vidcc
07-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Different strokes ranks among the least funny comedies ever :frusty:

Busyman
07-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Different strokes ranks among the least funny comedies ever :frusty:
I liked it...when I was younger. :(

Gary Coleman was obnoxious. :shifty:

manker
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Gary Coleman was obnoxious. :shifty:http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/gary.gif

Snee
07-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes, that's very nice (well not really the way he does it, and pointing out differences as a comedic device was hardly something that was invented in the US, I think it's present everywhere in the world),
I kinda missed this one.

Again, nicely done, my point tho', was that the particular humour you like didn't come about 'cos you live in a society with more diversity than any other.

A special kind of diversity perhaps, but then, everywhere else is unique in a way, too. I got a bit hung up on you saying that the US would be more diverse than Europe, 'cos that struck me as a bit mad.

As for explaining weebl, I don't think it's possible, you either get it or you don't, kinda' like they say about opera. In contrast (and this is but an opnion) I can see what's supposed to be funny, and I can understand where the punchline is in one of Chappelle's sketches, but I think it's too simple.

Weeble is madness (which makes it funny, 'cos it's the right kind, and it's very unpredictable), whereas Chappelle strikes me as juvenile.

But opions differ, and so forth.

Busyman
07-26-2005, 04:58 PM
I kinda missed this one.

Again, nicely done, my point tho', was that the particular humour you like didn't come about 'cos you live in a society with more diversity than any other.

A special kind of diversity perhaps, but then, everywhere else is unique in a way, too. I got a bit hung up on you saying that the US would be more diverse than Europe, 'cos that struck me as a bit mad.

As for explaining weebl, I don't think it's possible, you either get it or you don't, kinda' like they say about opera. In contrast (and this is but an opnion) I can see what's supposed to be funny, and I can understand where the punchline is in one of Chappelle's sketches, but I think it's too simple.

Weeble is madness (which makes it funny, 'cos it's the right kind, and it's very unpredictable), whereas Chappelle strikes me as juvenile.

Mmk so Weebl's jokes are unexplainable.

Oic. :blink:

You are right though...saying Europe isn't diverse is mad. However, saying the UK isn't as diverse..isn't mad.

lynx
07-26-2005, 05:09 PM
I notice nobody cares a damn about Telly Savalas. :cry:

manker
07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Mr. Mulder cares about telly.

Snee
07-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Mmk so Weebl's jokes are unexplainable.

'fraid so, it's a state of mind http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/zen.gif

It's some sort of "WTF"-effect.

Not everything that makes you go ":blink:" is funny tho', which makes it so hard to explain why this does.

vidcc
07-26-2005, 06:08 PM
this week i arv mostly been eatin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/images/jesse2.jpg

brotherdoobie
07-27-2005, 02:05 AM
I kinda missed this one.

I adore the sublime. However, a fart is funny rather your 2 or 32. If you over analyze humour it becomes politics...which as we know is never funny...but often sublime.

To each their own as you have already said SnnY.

Peace bd