PDA

View Full Version : English Premiere League exhibitions

peat moss
07-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Was wondering why the standings could not come in to play some how ? The few teams that tour NA ,Asia, SA or what ever seem to generate so much interest from their fans around the world . Our league teams are in mid form and have nothing to lose. Or mabye play a few cup qualify games ? Our stadiums have seating for 50 000 or more . Is it the artificial turf ? Because some have real grass aswell, the tv revenue would still be rather large no ? Mabye even pay for view for the fans back home , season ticket holders getting a discount of course ! :naughty:

manker
07-27-2005, 08:32 AM
British teams only tour to get the revenue. We could play each other to get pre-season match practice.

The managers of the clubs already moan that there are too many games and that the players will suffer with burn out. A few years ago, when Man Utd played in the (shite) world club cup competition, under extreme pressure from FIFA, they had to drop out of the FA cup to free up enough time to be able to do so.

It's not going to happen just to play a few friendlies :(

Actually, have I misunderstood? Didn't get this part :unsure:

Was wondering why the standings could not come in to play some how ?

peat moss
07-28-2005, 06:02 AM
What I mean was the games would count towards the standings .

manker
07-28-2005, 10:21 AM
The standings of what, Peat?

Sorry, it's early(ish) and my brain might not have kicked into gear yet :)

peat moss
07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry Manker I mean two points for a win ,one point for a tie. It would count in the standings for first place . It would not be exhibition games or friendlies but games that count . In fairness I'm just a dumb Canadian who calls it soccer. But the USA is ranked 5 in the world ? Canada has had a dry spell in goals so still in 85 or something . But the sport is growing so fast . Long waiting list to get kids a young as 6,7 (boys and girls) on teams . Soccer is played all year long now aswell . I guess more of our home grown boys would stay at home if the money and interest was here. Owen Hargreaves is a good example .

Barbarossa
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Sorry Manker I mean two points for a win ,one point for a tie. It would count in the standings for first place . It would not be exhibition games or friendlies but games that count . In fairness I'm just a dumb Canadian who calls it soccer. But the USA is ranked 5 in the world ? Canada has had a dry spell in goals so still in 85 or something . But the sport is growing so fast . Long waiting list to get kids a young as 6,7 (boys and girls) on teams . Soccer is played all year long now aswell . I guess more of our home grown boys would stay at home if the money and interest was here. Owen Hargreaves is a good example .

The more you try to explain, the less I understand ... :unsure:

But the aspiration of trying to keep hold of your home-grown talent, and improve your standing in the world rankings is a noble one.. :)

manker
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I think I get it now. Like a league of 4 or more teams where they play each other once and the one with the most points gets teh trophy. A Round-Robin.

They do that a lot pre-season anyway - Spurs have just won the Peace Cup in S. Korea - it's pretty good and is probably more entertaining than a series of one off friendlies. However, the tournament is still a friendly tournament and in order for it to be attractive to TV companies, more than one big club needs to be involved.

It could happen in Canada :D

peat moss
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Ya I guess you Euro's would n't understand, We in North America only see what our leauges give us . You fellows see the cream of the top teams, while we strive for more. Our children are keen to watch and learn but we're second class mabye ? Time will change it hopefuly .

Edit : I mean it is changing were getting better coaches all the time the game is so global now look out ! :D