PDA

View Full Version : shutdown problem

daniboy
07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
whenever i shutdown the computer it says windows is shutting down, then i see the light on the mouse turn off but the computer stays on for about 10-20 min after. i just reinstalled windows so its not that - this problem also happened before i reinstalled. i havnt installed anything yet besideds drivers, itunes and quicktime. the only thing i can think of is that when i was installing the windows and it was copying the setup files it said cannot copy pro_seg1.swf so i skipped it. this happened on my last instalation of windows too.

tesco
07-28-2005, 07:14 PM
It won't be that file that didn't copy, it's just a flash file (probably from the help or tutorials).

You could try looking in teh event logs to see if you find anything in there... right click my comp -> manage -> click event viewer on the left -> check each event type for anything around the time of your last shutdown and post them here.

daniboy
07-28-2005, 07:21 PM
there are 5 errors all the same, 2 of them were around the shutdown time. its something to do with my internet. donno what. also this problem only happens about 1/2 the times i shutdown so maybe it only happens when theres one of those errors with the internet? i copied what it said from the event manager:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 7/28/2005
Time: 8:37:30 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LEVY
Description:
The GlobeSpan USB ADSL Loader service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

99%
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
try this in the registry
;----- Power computer off after shutdown || Value: (0 = default, 1 = power down)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"PowerdownAfterShutdown"="1"

daniboy
07-28-2005, 07:53 PM
can you tell me what that does before i try it? i dont wanna start messing with the computer already right after i reinstalled

maebach
07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
ye 99%, maybe you could explain that to us un l33t people. :)

tesco
07-28-2005, 10:25 PM
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/251/ explains that registry hack.

I don't think that will fix it but worth a try.

Before shutting down, try going to start -> run -> 'services.msc' -> and find ' GlobeSpan USB ADSL Loader' or something along those lines -> right click it -> click on 'Stop' -> then restart and see if it still stalls.

edit: Another idea is to try and find our modem in the device manager and right click -> disable it to see if that solves the shutdown problems.

If either of these work I think it's a problem with your modem drivers and you should try updating it.