PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Soccer/Football Player(s)

maebach
07-29-2005, 04:43 AM
I'd start off by saying my favourites are: Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. Best striker partnership in the 90's(my opinion). They both played for Man U until Yorke went to Blackburn :( and Cole somewhere else :unsure:

Peerzy
07-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Robben - great pace, skills and can finish. Also has the nack of being able to keep the ball stuck to his feet no matter what defender challenges him.

Aimar - a very good technical midfielder. Again, very skill full.

Robinho - people said he was going to be the next Pele, which is a big weight to have on your shoulders, but he is certainly going to be one of the greatest footballers ever in the years to come.

Best striking partnership in the last 5 years has got to be Kezman/Drogba :D

maebach
07-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Robinho - people said he was going to be the next Pele, which is a big weight to have on your shoulders, but he is certainly going to be one of the greatest footballers ever in the years to come.

I was reading about him, tons of publicity this players getting. http://news.google.ca/news?q=robinho&hl=en&hs=hjh&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

Peerzy
07-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Yeah, he was great in the recent Confederations Cup, scoring 3 times in 5 games (2 of them against Germany & Argentina).

He has a minimun release fee of something like £27 million (meaning if Real bid that his team have to accept the bid) and about £6 million of that £27 million Robinho would be entitled to, because Robinho wants to move to Real Madrid so badly he said he would decide not to get his £6 million so Real Madrid would only have to pay £21 million. Turns out Fifa didn't like this and are investigating the situation and such.

In 2-3 years to come i can easly see him as world player of th eyear and have lead Brazil to a great world cup.

DarthInsinuate
07-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Dennis Bergkamp has always been my favourite player, he's just a plain genius and will pick out the perfect pass 9 out of 10 times

Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney always make me laugh with their sheer audacity, they'll do stuff that no one else would even bother trying

Barbarossa
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney always make me laugh with their sheer audacity, they'll do stuff that no one else would even bother trying

I agree with you w.r.t. Thierry Henry...

maebach
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
In 2-3 years to come i can easly see him as world player of th eyear and have lead Brazil to a great world cup.

Same, that's what my dad said. He said a player with that much skill will be on top of the world. I just hope Brazil doesn't win. In 2002 I was a huge fan, then everybody started following Brazil (Band Wagon jumpers) and now I'm gonna go back to France.

MCHeshPants420
07-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Same, that's what my dad said. He said a player with that much skill will be on top of the world. I just hope Brazil doesn't win. In 2002 I was a huge fan, then everybody started following Brazil (Band Wagon jumpers) and now I'm gonna go back to France.

:blink:

:lol:

:(

peat moss
07-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Does it have to be an active player ? My fav was always Johan Cruyff but modern player would be Nistelrooy, I'm not even dutch tho I'm Scottish Canadian . :)

Whats your guys take on Freddie Abu ? Young I know but great flair.

maebach
07-29-2005, 05:30 PM

He plays in MLS :huh: . I saw him play one game, I think it was against Chicago, he was doing well. Does he play for US National Team yet? Do you think he can make EPL?

peat moss
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM

He plays in MLS :huh: . I saw him play one game, I think it was against Chicago, he was doing well. Does he play for US National Team yet? Do you think he can make EPL?

I think he's too young for the big team but was on the junior team at the world cup and played well.

Think it was called u18 but expect him to move up soon .

maebach
07-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Best North American player would be Landon Donavon, I think. Or maybe Owen Hargreaves?

JPaul
07-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Best North American player would be Landon Donavon, I think. Or maybe Owen Hargreaves?
Is that the same Owen Hargreaves who plays for Engerland, or a different one.

DarthInsinuate
07-29-2005, 06:47 PM
well Owen Hargreaves is half Canadian, so technically is a North American player

Frank Lampard is great fun to watch, not only is he a hard-working midfielder, he also takes random pot shots at goal, which is always entertaining

peat moss
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Is that the same Owen Hargreaves who plays for Engerland, or a different one.

Born in Calgary Alberta , but his parents are English I think ?

JPaul
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
well Owen Hargreaves is half Canadian, so technically is a North American player

Frank Lampard is great fun to watch, not only is he a hard-working midfielder, he also takes random pot shots at goal, which is always entertaining
Didn't he leave Canadia and move to Germania when he was a foetus. He played his club football in Germania and his International Football for Engerland.

Feck that's like saying Lennox lewis is Canadian.

peat moss
07-29-2005, 07:00 PM

Didn't he leave Canadia and move to Germania when he was a foetus. He played his club football in Germania and his International Football for Engerland.

Feck that's like saying Lennox lewis is Canadian.

Well its like saying Freddie Abu is American, I guess it should be where your born not immigrated to or where your mom and dad were born.

Peerzy
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Does it have to be an active player ? My fav was always Johan Cruyff but modern player would be Nistelrooy, I'm not even dutch tho I'm Scottish Canadian . :)

Adu is class, and only 16. I saw him play yesterday against Chelsea (DC United Vs Chelsea friendly) he was there only player who really did anything, he's also said he would turn down moves to Serie A & La Liga to play in the EPL.

Rat Faced
07-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Jackie Milburn

I'll get me coat...

maebach
07-30-2005, 03:41 AM
'Wor Jackie'. rat faced, nice pick.http://www.bbc.co.uk/homeground/archive/2003/jackie-milburn-newcastle-united.shtml

manker
07-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Duncan Edwards.

But I've only ever read about him :unsure:

Of course, Eric Cantona is the greatest player I've ever seen play. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

JPaul
07-30-2005, 10:17 AM
http://www.jimmyjohnstone.com/

JPaul
07-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Duncan Edwards.

But I've only ever read about him :unsure:

Of course, Eric Cantona is the greatest player I've ever seen play. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/images/ECantona3.jpg

peat moss
07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
If you had to pick one thing to remember a player by what would it be ?

Mine is wee Willie Johnston mooning the fans and taking a drink of a fans beer before taking a corner kick to set up the winning goal . Fucking classic play but of course was fined heavly for it !

One of the best quotes tho was Rod Stewart's ( Maggie Mae ) saying he would of gave it all up to be a soccer player . :)

JPaul
07-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Slim Jim Baxter playing keepy uppy at Wembley

http://www.rampantscotland.com/ibrox780a.jpg

JPaul
07-30-2005, 06:13 PM

Mine is wee Willie Johnston mooning the fans and taking a drink of a fans beer before taking a corner kick to set up the winning goal . Fucking classic play but of course was fined heavly for it !

One of the best quotes tho was Rod Stewart's ( Maggie Mae ) saying he would of gave it all up to be a soccer player . :)
Rod Stewart has a seat for life at paradise, beside Billy Connoly's.

I have sat my arse on both of them. The seats obviousement.

peat moss
07-31-2005, 02:48 AM

Rod Stewart has a seat for life at paradise, beside Billy Connoly's.

I have sat my arse on both of them. The seats obviousement.
Can you imagine seating between them ? Baseball ,critcket who cares ? I'd even pay for the brewskis ! :happy:

bigboab
07-31-2005, 05:15 AM

Maybe that is because he is the only player you have ever seen.:lol:

Modern: Zinedine Zidane

Going back a bit. Probably nobody in here has heard of him. But having watched football week in week out for many moons. To my mind this man was head and shoulders above the rest and it had nothing to do with size:
Pat Stanton

RioDeLeo
07-31-2005, 05:47 AM
George Best, by a mile.

Christiano Ronaldo is about half as good with the ball now, but could become better.

DarthInsinuate
07-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Alan Shearer - the man knows how to finish, that's all you should ever really want from a striker

manker
07-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Maybe that is because he is the only player you have ever seen.:lol: :blink:

What the feck are you on about now.

JPaul
07-31-2005, 11:32 AM

Shh he thinks Pat Stanton was a decent exponent of puntsphere.

http://cards.littleoak.com.au/197273_abc_football_cardgame/13_pat_stanton.JPG

bigboab
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not all that you make it out to be.:unsure:

JPaul
07-31-2005, 02:05 PM

Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not all that you make it out to be.:unsure:
Unless you actually think he has only ever seen one footballer play (which is highly unlikely (either him only having seen one, or you thinking it)) I don't know what you mean either.

My grasp of the language has never been that great tho'.

bigboab
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Unless you actually think he has only ever seen one footballer play (which is highly unlikely (either him only having seen one, or you thinking it)) I don't know what you mean either.

My grasp of the language has never been that great tho'.*

Yes that was the intention of the 'pun'.:(

* I have noticed.:P If any of us wos wot we think we wouldn't be in here.:lol:

JPaul
07-31-2005, 03:01 PM

My grasp of the language has never been that great tho'.*

Yes that was the intention of the 'pun'.:(

* I have noticed.:P If any of us wos wot we think we wouldn't be in here.:lol:
No, I'm here precisely because I am who I think I am. :naughty:

Which is actually quite sad. :cry:

Or is it. :ph34r:

peat moss
07-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Alan Shearer - the man knows how to finish, that's all you should ever really want from a striker

Hey another former Whitecap ! :) Does he still coach now ?

manker
07-31-2005, 03:45 PM

Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not all that you make it out to be.:unsure:And perhaps one day you'll write something that's not utter drivel.

I'll brush up on my language skills in preparation for that day.

I'm sure it'll be really good.

manker
07-31-2005, 03:49 PM

Hey another former Whitecap ! :) Does he still coach now ?I'm pretty sure former England captain Alan Shearer never played in Canada :unsure:

bigboab
07-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Perhaps your grasp of the English language is not all that you make it out to be.:unsure:And perhaps one day you'll write something that's not utter drivel.

I agree with you. No point in the two of us doing it.:lol:

JPaul
07-31-2005, 06:20 PM
And perhaps one day you'll write something that's not utter drivel.

Best self pwnage ever.

So you will continue posting drivel, freeing manrod up for other duties, seems fair.

bigboab
07-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Best self pwnage ever.

So you will continue posting drivel, freeing manrod up for other duties, seems fair.

Hopefully. Providing he does not spend too much time hunting for his rattle.:lol:

JPaul
07-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Best self pwnage ever.

Hopefully. Providing he does not spend too much time hunting for his rattle.:lol:
I don't mind his rattle, it's when he hums I get upset :sick:

To be read with a slight Ayrshire accent.

manker
07-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Gotta love it when that happens :happy:

JPaul
07-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Gotta love it when that happens :happy:
El Nino of the flange.

mina2
08-10-2005, 08:43 AM
robbie fowler because he is the best finisher in the prem and because he snorted the touchline and because he taunted graeme le saux.that was really funny.Does anyone remember that?

whypikonme
08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Didn't he leave Canadia and move to Germania when he was a foetus.
Owen Hargreaves was actually born in Canada but due to heritage was eligible to play for either the English, Welsh, Canadian, or German national teams. He chose England. Hargreaves left Canada as a 16 year-old in 1997.

A big foetus!

Peerzy
08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
robbie fowler because he is the best finisher in the prem and because he snorted the touchline and because he taunted graeme le saux.that was really funny.Does anyone remember that?

The best finisher in the Premiership is Shearer, if you go by the figures. Over 250 goals (100 more than 2nd place Andy Cole) and nearly 200 for Newcastle.

peat moss
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I see theres a Life of Maradona movie it the works ,warts and all . Called ..............Hand of God if you English can believe it. :lol:

Link: http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12589,1546194,00.html

Gee who's the lucky actor who gets to play him fat at the end of the movie ? :)

JPaul
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Didn't he leave Canadia and move to Germania when he was a foetus.
Owen Hargreaves was actually born in Canada but due to heritage was eligible to play for either the English, Welsh, Canadian, or German national teams. He chose England. Hargreaves left Canada as a 16 year-old in 1997.

A big foetus!
Bugger, hoped to hook someone from Canadia with that one.

Still, one takes what one gets.

JPaul
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
I see theres a Life of Maradona movie it the works ,warts and all . Called ..............Hand of God if you English can believe it. :lol:

Cromwell.

peat moss
08-10-2005, 09:03 PM

Cromwell.

He's dead right ? :) JP your too smart for me . :)

Ah shit I want Brad Pitt in the role . :mellow: Sorry that was off topic . :shutup: