PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and the mystery of the missing cookies....

Yuccaman
07-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Any suggestions on an annoying Firefox cookie problem I seem to be experiencing....

From either v1.0.4 or 1.0.5 (currently running 1.0.6), every so often cookies disappear...

I usually have most cookies as "accept for session" except those that store username and password for sites such as this one, where the preference is accept....

The cookies aren't expiring, unless my computer thinks it's 2006 :)

I've tried completing deleting my profile and creating a new one.

I installed the CookieCuller extension and protected the cookies I want to keep and yet still they disappear....

Wierd thing is, it's not the same ones that vanish each time...

In the last few times some cookies have vanished, I've not run any cleaning / erase privacy tracks programs and I'm at a complete loss to understand why it happens....

Any ideas ?

peat moss
07-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I use ccleaner to get rid of mine but it does have an option to save "good cookies" like Fst for example . I guess its one of those hey don't complain answers like the one above .

Wow weird could of sworn there was a post before mine !

99%
07-29-2005, 10:10 PM
there is a post before yours :P

have you
done
file>tools>options>privacy>cookies>exceptions
and submitted which cookies you want to keep?

same applies to ccleaner as damoss said

Yuccaman
07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
99% - yep done that. The cookies with user id & password info are all on sites I've set to "allow".

However, I have been searching on the Firefox forums and another user had trouble there and found that WinPatrol 9.5 was deleting sme of his cookies...

I've disabled the cookie check on this and I'll see if it makes a difference....

Can't recall when I updated to 9.5 but it may have been the same time I updated Firefox.....

peat moss
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
there is a post before yours :P

have you
done
file>tools>options>privacy>cookies>exceptions
and submitted which cookies you want to keep?

same applies to ccleaner as damoss said

I know smarty pants , I went looking for the smile "I'm with stoopid " and lo and behold post was gone . The evil mods at work ? :)

99%
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
i would be precautious of leaving all cookies there
try http://www.ccleaner.com/
allow the cookies u want

peat moss
07-29-2005, 11:22 PM
i would be precautious of leaving all cookies there
try http://www.ccleaner.com/
allow the cookies u want

Ya I like ccleaner wonder if its his CookieCuller extension giving him trouble ? Never tryed it myself tho did n't see a need .

Yuccaman
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
I do use CCleaner, but not the cookie cleaing part (yet)....

I've got Firefox set to prompt me about all cookies and normally either use "Deny", or "Allow for Session" unless I know I want to keep the cookie....

I guess I only have about 25 or so cookies stored all in all....

I would assume it's not the extension as I tried installing it to see if it would cure the problem :)

So far so good with disabling the cookie clean in WinPatrol though so I'm hoping that's it....

peat moss
07-29-2005, 11:45 PM
@yuccaman I just set mine to allow sites to set cookies ,then once a day or two I run cccleaner. I have Giant antispyware running in the background aswell. Never had an issue
unless it was a site I had n't been to for a while.

Yuccaman
07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
@peat

The idea of Cookie Culler is sort of similar... Set the cookies you want to keep as "protected" and then a nice click of "Delete Cookies" will purge any that aren't protected...

Yet another nice extra for Firefox....

Lion7718
07-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Firefox 1.05 I believe add Firefox Cookies to Cookie List,
You will have only 1-2 for the samw site, but FF will show 4-5 per site.
If you use Spybot, go to Settings/Ignore Cookies..you will see them there...all you have to do is check the ones that you want.

But If I were you, I would Scan Spybot 1st...let it remove all Cookie & start from scratch...........than sign into 4-5 sites and re start Spybot, go back to Cookiews & check tham.