PDA

View Full Version : Post oc issue?

Snee
07-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Played around with my brother's computer the other day (he asked me to try it with his brand new mobo).

Tried overclocking it (ended up not having it oc'd 'cos the mobo didn't have agp or pci locks, and anything apart from an fsb of 166 or 200 wasn't worth it in the end, what with the board being renowned for having instabitility issues with the slightest adjustment of fsb).

Anyhow, tried a few things as you do (multiplier, fsb etc) but I wasn't satisfied, so I ended up downclocking his ram to synch it with his fsb (better bandwidth that way) .

To compensate for the lowered speed I tried making the timings a bit more aggressive. Was careful (or so I thought) but upon the next boot the board (an asus) told me the bios was buggered and asked for a disc with a working bios (it's some fancy-pants function asus calls "crash free bios").

Put the disc that came with the board in (turns out the bios might be one revision earlier, but the subsequent issues aren't covered by the later BIOS anyhow) and it worked on the second try, and it was soon up and running again.

Now everything works just peachy, the timings are good, but not so tight as to cause any trouble, fsb and ram are synched and so forth.

There's one small hassle tho'. The onboard lan is acting up, it works for BT and you can surf with it, but playing CoH or transferring files over the network results in all other computers on the network being cut off from accessing his computer.

Initially it'd disconnect completely after a while requiring a reboot to work again, not directly mind, and before that he'd experience some lagging, but (and I don't know exactly what I did) I managed to change that so it kept connected to the internet, but it'd still cut other computers off, although it could still find them on the network. (The lagging is still there when he plays.)

I played around with it, trying to uninstall it in the device manager, which made the device manager lock up, and I'd try deactivating it, which didn't work too well, and the drivers that came with the board wouldn't install properly.

Windows reports no errors with the card tho', so, as far as windows is concerned there's nothing wrong at all with the card.

And, I downloaded different drivers, and those installed without any issues, tho' it'd still do the cutoff thing.

And a regular pci ethernet card works fine.

The odd part is that it seemed to be affected by how much bandwidth other machines on the network were using, shutting down a couple other computers on the network would make it more stable wrt CoH. It would work with CoH the day before, but we never tried any big transfers.

And previously, this router has acted up, it used to cut another computer on the network off from the others at regular intervals, and it'd be a bitch to access or get to keep rules working, and this kept on happening until the firmware was upgraded. And very recently (with the new firmware) it would cut my brother's computer (with the older mobo) off when he was trying to burn files from his computer in nero on another machine.

So, what is more likely to be wrong, some software or bios thing, the onboard lan, or the router?

clocker
07-30-2005, 02:28 PM
...a regular pci ethernet card works fine.

Right then...doesn't this solve the problem?
You can disable the onboard LAN in BIOS and just use the PCI NIC and be done, right?

Snee
07-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Sure, but the onboard lan is better :unsure:

It's one of those gigabyte yukon chips.

To be honest I want to know 'cos I'm thinking that if it was there from the start (not sure it wasn't something that was waiting to show up), and it is the mobo, he's still got warranty.

Virtualbody1234
07-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Have you checked to see if there is a newer BIOS rev. available at the makers website?

Snee
07-30-2005, 03:29 PM
There is, and I will try that, as soon as I can find a fresh floppy :pinch:

spirex
08-01-2005, 06:36 AM
What model is it?
Newer Asus motherboards can get a bios update from the internet in Windows without a floppy.

Snee
08-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't do winflash :unsure:

A bootdisc or ez flash is much better.

clocker
08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Why is that?
I always use Winflash and have never had a problem.

Snee
08-01-2005, 11:10 AM
'cos I don't like it :snooty:

Seriously tho', of the ways you can flash your BIOS, flashing through windows is the least safe one. I realize that the chance of it going wrong isn't that big, but I like the best odds possible, especially since it isn't my mobo.

clocker
08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
'cos I don't like it :snooty:

Seriously tho', of the ways you can flash your BIOS, flashing through windows is the least safe one.
Why is that?
People are always saying it, but I've never heard a good explanation.

Personally, the idea of trusting a floppy has always seemed risky.

Snee
08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
To be honest I'm not sure, all I know is that windows flashing seems to have a much higher failure rate, in most cases when a flash has been buggered and someone comes online to whine about it, they did it through windows, I've been keeping count at sudhian and such places.

clocker
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes, I know, but why?

I've probably done it 20-30 times without incident and yet others trash their boards on the first try.
Winflash seems so straightforward and simple that I always wonder if the aversion to it is not just a carryover from the pervasive "Windows sucks!" attitude or "A friend of a friend told me.." that we see all the time.
Frankly, so many of the folks who post with problems seem barely capable of turning a PC on, much less flashing their BIOS.

That said, I would stop using it in a heartbeat if I heard a good reason not to....

Virtualbody1234
08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't trust floppies either. In fact, on boards without "windows flashing", I have flashed the BIOS by running the flash program from a HDD instead of a floppy.

Snee
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
'k, now I'm scawed of flashing from a floppy as well :(

clocker
08-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Come over to the Dark Side (i.e. WinFlash).

You know you want to.

Don't make me lop off your hand, Luke.

Snee
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Now, I suppose, you and my little brother can rule the galaxy as father and son, or something :unsure:

He just did the windows thing himself with the latest bios after a lot of testing with another, and it worked.

Dunno' if it solved his problems tho'.

Funny thing: the first time he booted it did some triple beep thing after he was already in BIOS Windows, it didn't do it after I'd had a look in BIOS tho', so I suppose that's all right.

Snee
08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Problem solved and thanks for the help, people :D

This latest BIOS did the trick. (Even tho' none of what it was described as fixing was supposed to have anything to do with the issues he had.)

He's also got a working agp/pci lock now, and I've oc'd his processor and tweaked his mem timings.

He set a new personal record in 3d mark 05 :01:

RPerry
08-02-2005, 01:59 PM
'k, now I'm scawed of flashing from a floppy as well :(

MSI also has this capability, and I also used that instead of a floppy. Hell, I have had problems getting a small file from a floppy, wouldn't trust my floppy drive for nothing ( thats why it took so long for me to revise my bios VB1234 :P )

Virtualbody1234
08-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Problem solved and thanks for the help, people :D

This latest BIOS did the trick.
Thought so. Glad to hear it worked.

lynx
08-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Glad you sorted it.

I know there was a version of the bios which screwed up the NIC's mac address. It was quickly withdrawn but quite a few copies had been sent out/downloaded so I guess yours was that version.

Snee
08-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah, thanks VB, in hindsight we should have gone for the new BIOS right away. It's just that it looked a lot like the earlier router issues he had. So we figured we'd try drivers and whatnot and see what happened.

And I had this notion putting another ethernet card in might reset something.

Also, wrt the floppy drive, I gave him this one, and the cable, and I'd been using it on my comp before I gave it to him, files transferred with it had even passed the occasional checksum check, so I was pretty confident that the drive was good.

Y'all still made me a bit uncertain about flashing through it tho' :lol:

Wrt the floppy vs. windows debate I'm guessing it has to do with a lot of people trying to flash their BIOS on unstable machines, clocker. If your windows has a tendency to go wobbly 'cos something is off in your BIOS I suppose the chances of the flash getting interrupted or corrupted are bigger :unsure: With a floppy there's no windows to filter things through, or something.

And lynx, if the mac addy kept getting buggered that'd certainly have done it, so that explains a lot. The worst part is that that particular BIOS came on the driver cd for the mobo, and was the only one we had available, as we had no floppies and his BIOS was corrupted.

Lastly, this Crash Free BIOS thing from Asus is brilliant IMO. Dunno' if my machine would even get far enough to let me flash BIOS if my BIOS was borked the way his was. Dunno' if you can go as far as Asus does and say that it totally eliminates the risk of you having to get a new CMOS chip in case of a busted BIOS, but it certainly saved this mobo.