PDA

View Full Version : I think my computer is burning up...

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 12:01 AM
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/3835/crap2wb.jpg

Something isn't right is it? How do I know what Temp1, Temp2, and Temp3 is? Which is my CPU, HDD, and stuff? :unsure:

EDIT: While playing Cutie Quake in the board's arcade:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2427/fds6lm.jpg

Tormentor
07-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Im pretty sure temp 1 is cpu, 2 is mobo, and 3 is hdd. None of the temps are critical but you should do something to bring the temps down.

99%
07-31-2005, 12:08 AM
i use
http://dssc3031.ece.cmu.edu/~tamaru/mobilemeter/mobilemeterreadme-e.htm
download here - http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/release/0310/mm0310.zip
which has more infromation - seems to be clearer than yours

or for a really basic one
http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/index.php

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Im pretty sure temp 1 is cpu, 2 is mobo, and 3 is hdd. None of the temps are critical but you should do something to bring the temps down.
You sure those temps aren't too high? I don't know much about CPU temps, but the little flame icon worries me. How would I bring the temps down?

@99%
I couldn't figure out how to use the first app, it was just a graph with nothing on it. And the second app kept saying my HDD's don't provide temps. :unsure:

GepperRankins
07-31-2005, 12:26 AM
your hard-drive lives up to its name at least :ermm:

download everest
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

it'll probably tell you which sensor is which

maybe take a side panel off your case and check the IDE cables aren't messing up airflow will help

Tormentor
07-31-2005, 12:34 AM
You sure those temps aren't too high? I don't know much about CPU temps, but the little flame icon worries me. How would I bring the temps down?

@99%
I couldn't figure out how to use the first app, it was just a graph with nothing on it. And the second app kept saying my HDD's don't provide temps. :unsure:

Yes those temps are too high, im just saying it aint at melting point yet. Add a few case fans and are you using the original thermal pad or paste?

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 12:35 AM
I have two hard drives, my main 40GB Western Digital Drive, and a second 4GB Quantum Fireball. Now if Temp3 was my HDD's temperature, it would be the 40GB one right? :unsure:

Downloading Everest right now...

99%
07-31-2005, 12:37 AM
strange... about the progs

naive question - have you opened up your case and cleaned for dust?

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Here are my idle temps:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8682/temp1mt.jpg

@99%
Not in a while, no... :unsure:

99%
07-31-2005, 01:11 AM
i don't know what the average temp of a pc is
have you experienced shutdowns?
maybe its time to blow some air into your casing

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 01:14 AM
have you experienced shutdowns?
maybe its time to blow some air into your casing
Shutdowns?

My computer freezes everytime there is a load on my CPU. I can't play games, or do anything that uses a lot of CPU. Infact, half of the time I try to play the games in the arcade, my computer will freeze. :(

Guillaume
07-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Erm. Not an expert but 55° is a bit high for an idle pc.

99%
07-31-2005, 01:19 AM
maybe you should also submit your pc specs for more info (in both worlds)
you use 2000...
any chance this is a spyware/hijackthislog (http://www.hijackthis.de/) /virus issue

Rip The Jacker
07-31-2005, 01:33 AM
If it helps:

Windows 2000 Pro
Pentium 4 1.6GHz
384 SDRAM
64MB GeForce 4 MX420
40GB HDD
4GB HDD

I'm sure my system of free from spyware and viruses, so I don't think thats it. I guess I'll open my case a little later and see if I can clean it and tidy up the wires, I don't have time right now.

Peerzy
07-31-2005, 01:48 AM
If you cannot play games or simple flash/java games you have some serious problems. Start off by taking the side panel off and aiming a fan into the computer, then attempt to play a game, if that doesn't sort it then i doubt it's temps and either the fucked hardware or some kinda cawk sucking virii.

lynx
07-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Clean out the dust from between the fins on your cpu heatsink.

I can't understand why people don't suggest this before going down all sorts of routes about how to check that the temps are right, which temp is which etc.

Simple answer is that it is too hot, and dust is the most likely cause. Blow it out with a compressed air can, but make sure that the system is off at the time and that you've stopped the fan from spinning (with a pencil or something).

Rip The Jacker
08-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Hmmm... so dust really can be that big of a problem? I'll get around to cleaning the case and trying that fan thing Peerzy. Thanks for the suggestions.

Virtualbody1234
08-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Hmmm... so dust really can be that big of a problem? I'll get around to cleaning the case and trying that fan thing Peerzy. Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes. Dust acts as an insulator keeping the heat in.

clocker
08-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Yes. Dust acts as an insulator keeping the heat in.

Not to mention it is yucky.

Duffman
08-01-2005, 04:19 AM
And those damn proletarian dust bunneys tend to rise up and rebel against the upper class CPU...

abu_has_the_power
08-01-2005, 05:42 AM
55 idle is not good. definitely clean out some dust. ur not ocing or messing with ur cpu in any way? ur mobo temps should be fine. like someone said, just to zero in on the problem, open ur case, blow some cold air on that fan. try to get the temps lower than 50 or 45. then, play a game. if it doesn't freeze up, that pretty much means u got a temp problem. then, u go and try cleaning dust, or maybe just get a better hsf

clocker
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
just to zero in on the problem, open ur case, blow some cold air on that fan. try to get the temps lower than 50 or 45. then, play a game. if it doesn't freeze up, that pretty much means u got a temp problem. then, u go and try cleaning dust, or maybe just get a better hsf
Erm, if the case is open why not just blow it out first and eliminate that possibility from the gitgo?

Then try the fan routine if you want.

99%
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
So Rip has it been solved?

lynx
08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Rip?

Rip?

I guess it was terminal. :(

Rip The Jacker
08-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Alright. I opened up the case and removed a lot of dust. It isn't perfect right now, but it's 90% dust free. I tried playing a game that used 100% CPU, and my computer froze. Then I took a huge fan, and pointed it into the opened case, and tried to play a game like that, it froze again. :(

I think I'm just going to ignore it until a get a new PC, this is becoming risky. After cleaning the case, my computer restarted out of nowhere twice after turning it back on. I don't wanna break anything, my stupid half-assed PC at least works for right now. =/

brotherdoobie
08-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Alright. I opened up the case and removed a lot of dust. It isn't perfect right now, but it's 90% dust free. I tried playing a game that used 100% CPU, and my computer froze. Then I took a huge fan, and pointed it into the opened case, and tried to play a game like that, it froze again. :(

I think I'm just going to ignore it until a get a new PC, this is becoming risky. After cleaning the case, my computer restarted out of nowhere twice after turning it back on. I don't wanna break anything, my stupid half-assed PC at least works for right now. =/

Lad, did you tilt the can of air...when cleaning your case?

Peace bd

Rip The Jacker
08-03-2005, 03:52 AM

Lad, did you tilt the can of air...when cleaning your case?

Peace bd
I didn't have a can of air, I just used an old shirt to dust the insides, then I blew out most of the dust... :unsure:

maebach
08-03-2005, 04:19 AM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9672/temp1ty.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mines not too well either :cry:

Rip The Jacker
08-03-2005, 04:43 AM
@maebach
Does your PC freeze while the CPU usage is high or anything like that?

maebach
08-03-2005, 04:54 AM
never. I am planning on placing thermal paste soon.

Barbarossa
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
There's a certain irony to the fact that overheating can cause a pc to freeze up...

@RIP - Try positioning your big fan so it sucks air away from the PC...?

You need to establish an air-flow.. blowing cold air in isn't going to to any good if there's nowhere for the hot air to get out.

suprafreak6
08-03-2005, 01:17 PM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5775/hgfh9vt.png (http://imageshack.us)

thats mine^ so just posting if it helps

lynx
08-03-2005, 09:09 PM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9672/temp1ty.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mines not too well either :cry:
Your hdd temps are just about at the limit for operation.

Thermal paste is NOT your problem, you need to reduce your general case temp by about 10C.

One of the main problems people have is allowing the hot air pumped out of the back of the case to recirculate back round to the front and be drawn back into the case again. Make sure your exhaust air has somewhere to go.

suprafreak6
08-04-2005, 12:15 AM
i think mine is okay right?

lynx
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
i think mine is okay right?Work it out for yourself.
I said that maebach needed to reduce his case temps by 10C. Assuming that reduces all his other temps by 10C (which it wont) that would give him:

Mobo 28C
CPU 47C
HDD1 41C
HDD2 44C

Apart from the mobo, your temps are already lower than that. You should check your 12V output though, it is a little low at 11.00V

Of course, no-one has said whether these temps are at idle or at full load. If maebach's temps are at idle then he's got even bigger problems than his figures suggest.

Snee
08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Kewl, a temperature thread.

If someone puts a list of recommended temps at the top, we could refer people who worry about their temps to this thread.

That could actually be useful.

clocker
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Interesting idea Snny, but difficult to do.
Temp sensors are notoriously innaccurate and the results are best used to compare/contrast changes on the same machine, not from my PC to yours.

Furthermore, different platforms produce wildly different profiles that do not lend themselves to direct comparison.
For instance, here is my sock939 aircooled performance...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/idleair.jpg
Notice that the CPU is waaay cooler than the "motherboard ambient" and my two hottest components are the northbridge ( which I can do nothing about) and the video card ( which is actually running quite cool, almost to my watercooled results).
Plus, I can't access the SMART info from my RAID array at all so I have no clue as to their temp.

There are too many variables in play to make a recommendation covering everybody's PC.
"Cooler is better" is as specific as I would be willing to get.

Snee
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Darnation :(

It's too bad, 'cos it could have been useful.

Btw, I notice your mobo shows up as hotter than your hd, mine does the same, only the difference is bigger. For some reason I find that odd.

clocker
08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Darnation :(

Btw, I notice your mobo shows up as hotter than your hd, mine does the same, only the difference is bigger. For some reason I find that odd.
It does beg the question "Where and what is the motherboard temp sensor reading?"

maebach
08-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I think your right about the circulation. I have 2 fans, one in the power supply, and one on my Intel Chip. This means that the fan is blowing the air against the side of the case and it's coming back. :ohmy:

Rip The Jacker
08-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Ahhhh!!!! My computer is melting man!!!

My computer just froze like 4 times. I touched the top of my computer case, not even the insides, but the case itself, at the top in the back, it was HOT.

I opened my case up, the following were burning up:
My power supply
My video card
My sound card
My sticks of RAM
My hard drive (this was the worst, I couldnt keep my finger on my HDD for more than 10 seconds... it was just too damn hot!!!)

Argh... what should I do? :(

Right now I have my big fan again, now its positioned so it sucks air out from inside my PC (thanks for the tip Barbarossa :P ). So far it seems to be working, everything has cooled off a bit, exept for my HDD's, they are still burning up!!!

Rip The Jacker
08-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Woot!

The big fan has been running at High speed for about 15 minutes (sucking the hot air out), everything is cool now!!! My temps went down, and the top of my computer is no longer burning up. Even the HDD's are cool now. So now I'm 100% sure my computer freezes because of overheating.

Now the question is... what should I do? I can't keep my case open all the time and this enormous fan running 24/7. The damn thing is all over the place....

clocker
08-27-2005, 01:17 PM
There are two approaches that need to be explored in tandem to solve your problem.

1) Case airflow needs to be upgraded.
Without pics of your PC it's impossible to make specific recommendations, but somehow you have to get a good stream of air flowing in and out of the box.

2) Upgrading the heatsink/fans on your chips and cards might also help once your airflow can deal with the extra load.

It's hard to say whether your hard drives are the cause of all this heat or just suffering because of it...perhaps moving them is an option or at least, supplementing the airflow available to them can't hurt.

Rip The Jacker
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Oh jeez.

I can't provide a picture of my case, but this is what it looks like:
It's a case, closed up. No window, no 80mm fans, no 120mm fans. Now that I think about it, there is no way that there could be airflow inside... =/

I guess I need a whole new case...

Peerzy
08-30-2005, 10:29 AM
At the back does it not have a grilled area, if it does go down to a local pc shop and pickup a few case fans, you just screw it into the grilled area. Have it pulling air out of the computer if it's so hot, and don't have it with it's back to a wall or in a very inclosed space.

clocker
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh jeez.
It's a case, closed up. No window, no 80mm fans, no 120mm fans. Now that I think about it, there is no way that there could be airflow inside... =/

See?
There has been a mistake and your computer came installed in a coffin.
A real case would help considerably.

Rip The Jacker
10-10-2005, 06:29 PM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2427/fds6lm.jpg
Ok I have another question... what is Temp3? Whenever I do something CPU heavy, Temp3 rises very quickly, and when it hits 90C, my computer freezes, every time.

Is Temp3 by any chance my HDD? I have two hard drives, a 40GB one, and a 4GB one, and because of the lack of space, both hard drives are touching eachother... right on top of each other... so they get really hot. What if I took out my 4GB hard drive... would Temp3 stay at lower temperatures?

Peerzy
10-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Try it, also why even have a 4GB hard drive? Not even big enough to support 1 standard game these days, and i doubt you'd even get Windows on it very well.

lynx
10-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Temp 3 is not your hdd, if the temperature was available for that it would be marked as a drive temp.

Download everest home edition, it will probably give you a better idea of what the temps actually are. Speedfan is notoriously bad at identifying which is which.

I suspect any temp that rises rapidly as you've indicated will be the CPU temp, but it could be the PWM temp if that's monitored.

Rip The Jacker
10-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Temp 3 is not your hdd, if the temperature was available for that it would be marked as a drive temp.

Download everest home edition, it will probably give you a better idea of what the temps actually are. Speedfan is notoriously bad at identifying which is which.

I suspect any temp that rises rapidly as you've indicated will be the CPU temp, but it could be the PWM temp if that's monitored.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2498/temps6dd.jpg

Ok, so Temp1 is CPU, and Temp2 is my Mobo... I still don't understand what Temp3 is... it's Temp3 that gets too high when my CPU usage is t 100%, so it's Temp3 that causes my computer to freeze... if I could make whatever Temp3 was to go away...

lynx
10-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Rather than have a database of motherboards and their connections (which is how Everest works) Speedfan shows you the possible inputs and allows you to configure them yourself. That way it only needs to know about the sensor chips. Everest needs an update every time a new mobo comes out which is obviously quite often. Speedfan only needs an update when a new sensor chip is used, which is a much more rare event.

The simple fact is that the temp sensor on your motherboard is capable of having more inputs than it is using, so Speedfan shows you the extra unused sensor. Now that you know it isn't used you can click the configure button and tell Speedfan not to display it.

Then you've only got the high Temp1 & Temp2 to worry about. :ermm:

Rip The Jacker
10-17-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm a little lost... it isn't used? But Temp3 is what causes my computer to freeze.

Whenever my CPU usage is high, Temp3 reaches 90C, then my PC just dies... even if SpeedFan is not running. Temp1 and Temp2 never go that high...

Even if I remove Temp3 from SpeedFan, my PC is still going to freeze if I do something CPU heavy, because it's there. I'm sorry lynx, I just don't know what to do...

lynx
10-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Unused inouts like that should be fastened to ground, obviously this one isn't. Consequently it is "floating" and is affected by the other inputs. However, since you don't need to monitor it that hardly matters.

I feel confident in saying that when your pc freezes the cpu temp will have gone up too. One of my systems freezes if the cpu temp gets to about 65C. Fortunately that only happens when the heatsink gets clogged with dust.

The bottom line is that your system is still far too hot, it doesn't really matter whether you look at the cpu temp or this spurious Temp3. And we've already established that the case is the problem. The solution is obvious - get some fans in the case or, if there's nowhere for extra fans, get a new case.

Rip The Jacker
10-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Sigh... your right. I guess it doesn't matter what the numbers are, in the end, it's all too hot. :(

Hairbautt
03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I have a PNY 6600GT, when I game it goes no higher than 62C, it rapidly cools down to 52 after I'm done (takes bout 5 mins.)

Idle its about 50-52C

Is this normal, bad, good? What? I've tried google, but many people say different things...I'm lost, help.

clocker
03-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Those are normal temps for the stock air-cooled 6600 cards.

Hairbautt
03-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Cool, thanks.