PDA

View Full Version : Chkdsk deleted my movies and stuff?!?

Rip The Jacker
08-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I turned on my PC, and as it was booting up, Windows said Chkdsk needed to scan my C: drive for consistancy. I don't know what it did, everything went by so fast, it mentioned something about deleting orphan files, then my computer froze. I restarted, it did the Chkdsk thing again, and finished this time. Now when I look at my C: drive, I went from 2.8GB free space to 11.1GB of free space.

This isnt a bad thing, just kinda confusing... anyone know what might have happened exactly? :blink:

fkdup74
08-02-2005, 04:34 AM
I don't know what it did, everything went by so fast

yeah chkdsk kinda sux about that
there's supposed to be an entry in the event log I think
you can try looking in there, but I have never found one after running chkdsk
but then I have so many services set to "disabled" it prolly cant write to the log :P

now, this wont help you ATM, unless you can find out what it did in the event log, but,
what I did was make me some batch files for running chkdsk, with pause commands,
so I could see wtf was goin on
here's a scan .bat, and you can run it with windows online,
and you can read (right in the command box) if anything is corrupted

echo y|chkdsk c: /v
chkdsk c: /v
pause

to do any repair functions you have to reboot
so what I'd do is scan, and if it bitched,
then I run it with the repair command

echo y|chkdsk c: /r
chkdsk c: /r
pause

now I think you can turn the echo command off,
and the pause command doesnt work in the repair .bat,
because it goes to the blue chkdsk screen when the pc starts,
and it dont pause for shit
but I do know the .bats work as they are,
I just havent gotten around to tweaking them yet
maybe some DOS guru can come in here and correct em,
as for me, I fkn hate DOS :01:

vegeta
08-03-2005, 06:37 AM
I turned on my PC, and as it was booting up, Windows said Chkdsk needed to scan my C: drive for consistancy. I don't know what it did, everything went by so fast, it mentioned something about deleting orphan files, then my computer froze. I restarted, it did the Chkdsk thing again, and finished this time. Now when I look at my C: drive, I went from 2.8GB free space to 11.1GB of free space.

This isnt a bad thing, just kinda confusing... anyone know what might have happened exactly? :blink:

chkdsk kinda moves all the files and put em in a row so thats one of the reason or it must have cleared your sys restore points except the last 1.it must have deleted all the junk files.

i never did chkdsk when i had enough space :( .now when i want to do it i dont have enough space on my hdd(such a bad luck) :(

Wolfmight
08-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Maybe it reduced some system reserve space or something that was abnormally high in the first place.

Snee
08-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Orphaned files are files that have become unregistered or have disappeared from the file table or something, files that probably were taking up room without you being able to use them.

Now, if you were lucky the files that went missing were from buggered up installations, or system restore files or something.

But it might also be files that you didn't want to lose.
When my mbr died a while ago I had to recover heaps of orphans before I could find the stuff I wanted to save.

If you aren't missing anything important then it's no problem, in fact you might benefit from running ccleaner or something similar, 'cos I doubt checkdisk would be able to sort out all such junk you might have had. And the registry might have a lot of loose ends left to tie up.

Rip The Jacker
08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah it's kind of weird. I understand chkdsk cleaning up a little bit of junk, but 8GB of junk? Damn. I did clean out my registry after all this, and the junk from my temp folder. Nothing seems to be missing, and everything is running just fine. Oh well, I guess this is all a good thing...

{I}{K}{E}
08-03-2005, 06:24 PM
do you have system restore enabled or norton systemworks installed?

Rip The Jacker
08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Nope and nope. I was beginning to think something was wrong, before all this happened my used HDD space was around 35GB. But I'm sure I don't have 35GB of stuff. Now's its down to 26.3GB used, that makes more sense to me.

Rip The Jacker
08-18-2005, 12:58 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9139/stupidwindows5gh.jpg

Now I know why I have so much space, the stupid thing somehow deleted my movies and other stuff!!!! :angry:

What gives? Chkdsk took all of my stuff and made them 0KB. :cry:

EDIT: Changed thread title.

Rip The Jacker
08-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Dammit Chkdsk is evil. :(

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic6988.html

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_20998761.html

I lost 10GB of files because of Chkdsk, the guys from those two threads lost 100GB of stuff. Stupid Chkdsk. :(

peat moss
08-18-2005, 03:54 AM
You must have other problems , I have never seen chkdsk delete files .

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

Mabye HDD is going ? Back up your files buddie. :lookaroun

Hmmm : Fixing disk errors

Chkdsk corrects disk errors only if you specify the /f command-line option. Chkdsk must be able to lock the drive to correct errors. Because repairs usually change a disk's file allocation table and sometimes cause a loss of data, chkdsk sends a confirmation message similar to the following:

10 lost allocation units found in 3 chains.

Convert lost chains to files?

If you press Y, Windows saves each lost chain in the root directory as a file with a name in the format Filennnn.chk. When chkdsk finishes, you can check these files to see if they contain any data you need. If you press N, Windows fixes the disk, but it does not save the contents of the lost allocation units.

But like I said you have other problems .

Rip The Jacker
08-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Jeez I'm doomed. My HDD is probibly slowly dying, and I have no way to back up my files.

Oh jeez. My old crappy burner doesn't work, and all I have is a second 4GB HDD. =/

peat moss
08-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I would buy a dvd rw this time around so cheap , and use the 4.gb to save at least your pic's or some important files . Hdd drives don't last for ever is it under warranty? Rip have you tryed a Norton Disk doctor type of utility ?