PDA

View Full Version : Is Pluto A Planet?

Barbarossa
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Regarding this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4737647.stm

The discovery of a new planet in our Solar System could have an unintended consequence - the elimination of Pluto in the list of planets everyone has in their heads. Is it time to wave this distant, dark piece of rock farewell?

To the casual observer, the announcement that scientists have identified a tenth planet orbiting the Sun is primarily of importance to few people other than science teachers and schoolchildren.

But, on closer examination, the revelation may have more far-reaching consequences for the way in which we think about space.

At around 3,000km across, 2003 UB313 - as it has been named - is the largest object found in our Solar System since the discovery of Neptune in 1846.

And it is thought to be larger than Pluto, whose status as the furthest planet from the Sun has been enshrined in accepted thought since it was identified in 1930.

But this could all change.

Technological advances have enabled astronomers to find more minor planets, stars, asteroids and comets.

And in the late 1960s scientists found that Pluto's size had been over-estimated.

It was first thought to be around as large as Earth, whereas accepted thought now suggests that the planet's mass is only around a fifth of the moon's.

"Today, the world knows that Pluto is not unique. There are other Plutos, just farther out in the Solar System where they are a little harder to find," says David Rabinowitz of Yale University, who was among the astronomers who discovered 2003 UB313 two years ago.

His point is echoed by Professor Mark Bailey, director of Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland.

"Increasingly, objects are far away and there are objects which are of comparable size to Pluto, so if you think of Pluto as a planet then you should refer to those objects as planets," he says.

He estimates that there could be tens of thousands of objects beyond Neptune in the Solar System region known as the Kuiper belt, many of which may be larger than Pluto.

The discovery of 2003 UB313 comes soon after it was announced that 2003 EL61 had been found.

And a number of distant objects around the same size of Pluto have been found in recent years, including Quaoar (found in 2002) and Sedna (detected in 2004).

It is widely accepted that the struggle to provide an adequate definition of a planet is the crux of the problem.

"Originally a planet was a wandering star. Then it was something that moved across the sky. Then it was something that revolved around the Sun. The criterion about when it should be called a planet is something that is changing over time," says Prof Bailey.

"I'm sure we will continue to discover more and more objects of comparable size which will continue to challenge established thought about planets."

'Size does matter'

Dr Brian Marsden, director of the International Astronomy Union's minor planet centre, believes the simplest way to resolve the confusion is to reject Pluto's claim to being a planet on the grounds that "size does matter".

Instead he says people should accept that "we have eight planets and only an object bigger than Mars could be considered to be a planet in the future".

He argues that the disruption that would be caused to accepted thought would, ultimately, provide a more accurate understanding of space.

"School text books concentrate too much on the idea that Pluto is the ninth planet. Teaching should stress that there are hundreds of thousands of much smaller objects. Knowing a mnemonic and naming the planets is not science."

But not everyone believes science has the right, or influence to turn accepted thought on its head.

"Our culture has fully embraced the idea that Pluto is a planet and scientists have for the most part not yet realised that the term planet no longer belongs to them," says Michael Brown, one of the astronomers who discovered 2003 UB313.

His conclusion is simple: "From now on, everyone should ignore the distracting debates of the scientists. Planets in our solar system should be defined not by some attempt at forcing a scientific definition on a thousands-of-years-old cultural term, but by simply embracing culture. Pluto is a planet because culture says it is.

"It is understandably hard for scientists to let go of a word that they think they use scientifically, but they need to."

He considers 2003 UB313 to be a planet in a "cultural" and "historical" sense, adding: "I will not argue that it is a scientific planet because there is no good scientific definition which fits our solar system and our culture and I have decided to let culture win this one.

"We scientists can continue our debates, but I hope we are generally ignored."

My personal opinion is that Pluto should be reclassified as a Minor Planet, i.e. the same classification of object as the asteroids in the asteroid belt, along with all the other Kuiper belt objects, including the one just discovered.

I wonder what the astrologers will make of all this? :unsure: Do you think they saw this coming... :dry:

Snee
08-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Can't be arsed to read that, but from what I know from before:

It has its own orbit, kinda', and that orbit is roughly similar to that of the other planets. According to some definitions that makes it a planet.

But it's too small, more like a planetoid really, and its orbit is asynchronous to the others (it isn't even always farthest out).

And I don't think it was formed in the same accretion disc as the others, but I'm not sure.

manker
08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I read this article earlier. It's fairly obvious that astronomers have known for years that if Pluto is a true planet, then there are likely to be hundreds (if not hundreds of thousands) of other 'true planets' in our solar system. I mean, I knew this and I only infrequently read about this stuff.

The thing that struck me about the article was that there are people arguing that we should keep on teaching kids that there are nine planets in our solar system.

Why? :blink:

There clearly aren't by any definition of a planet.

I agree with Dr Brian Marsden.

That other mentalist who believes that culture should dictate what is taught at centres of education clearly also believes that we should still be placing dead pigeons on folk's heads to cure them of cancer, instead of the, rather more effective, radio and chemotherapy.

Barbarossa
08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I like the fact that, as well as serious points in the discussion, the BBC editors are also including comments that are just alternative mnemonics for the planets... :D

manker
08-02-2005, 02:45 PM
When I said 'that other mentalist' - I didn't mean SnnY :D

I didn't notice SnnY's post before I posted. I meant the guy in the article who said mental stuff about teaching.

manker
08-02-2005, 02:48 PM
I like the fact that, as well as serious points in the discussion, the BBC editors are also including comments that are just alternative mnemonics for the planets... :D:lol:

There were no comments when I read the article early this morning. Looks like the Beeb are trying a little too hard to be balanced and representative of all view points :D

99%
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
not trying to go offtopica but
does this have ill consequences to walt disney's pluto?
http://i.s8.com.br/images/books/cover/img1/198021.jpg

Pluto whether a planet or not is a place just like earth as is the shop around the corner.
Defintions change - concept does not

Rat Faced
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Pluto isnt a planet, most scientists/astronomers agree that now.

If you classified Pluto as a planet then what about Ceres? And all those other pieces of rock between Mars and Jupiter...

Do we have two moons too? :P

lynx
08-02-2005, 11:07 PM
What makes an orbiting body a planet?

Does it have to be in the same disc as the other planets. Clearly, if Pluto were the size of Jupiter this question would not have arisen, so the plane of the orbit is clearly irrelevant.

Does the orbit have to be almost circular? There are a number of comets which appear to be much larger than Pluto, and have never been considered planets, so it is clear that a near circular orbit is a requirement.

So far, Pluto still makes it as a planet.

The final question is that of size. Who decides how big a body has to be before being counted as a planet? Does the size matter at all? Well, obviously there has to be some minimum requirement otherwise we could classify specks of dust as planets, and the number would be astronomical. :blink:

Even Dr Brian Marsden seems a little confused. "we have eight planets and only an object bigger than Mars could be considered to be a planet in the future". But Mercury is smaller than Mars, so surely that throws his theory out of the window already. Or perhaps he has plans to reduce the planet count to seven. Have we discovered the true identity of Ming the Merciless?

Surely, since Pluto has already been accepted as a planet, then it is a planet. If we need to make distinctions about later discoveries then I would suggest that Pluto be taken as the benchmark.

Barbarossa
08-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Surely, since Pluto has already been accepted as a planet, then it is a planet. If we need to make distinctions about later discoveries then I would suggest that Pluto be taken as the benchmark.

Hmm, isn't that sort of against the principles of scientific research?

When more knowledge becomes available, a more informed decision can be made about things.

Scientists shouldn't be scared to admit they get it wrong sometimes! :rolleyes:

Guillaume
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't know any more! I'm confused. :frusty:

manker
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Even Dr Brian Marsden seems a little confused. "we have eight planets and only an object bigger than Mars could be considered to be a planet in the future". But Mercury is smaller than Mars, so surely that throws his theory out of the window already. Or perhaps he has plans to reduce the planet count to seven. Have we discovered the true identity of Ming the Merciless?I suspect he believes that the number of new planets discovered may get a little large if Mercury was used as a benchmark, so he decided on Mars. The key is that he said in the future. To my knowledge, Mercury was discovered some time ago.

I didn't even consider the possibility that the director of the International Astronomy Union's minor planet centre was unaware that Mars was bigger than Mercury.

Barbarossa
08-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Do we have two moons too? :P

moons are another matter entirely!! :huh:

lynx
08-04-2005, 10:46 AM

Hmm, isn't that sort of against the principles of scientific research?

When more knowledge becomes available, a more informed decision can be made about things.

Scientists shouldn't be scared to admit they get it wrong sometimes! :rolleyes:
No, it is called shifting the goalposts to fit with your beliefs. All other things being equal, the only thing determining whether something is a planet is its size, and that is a purely subjective consideration. Why is there a need to downgrade Pluto and make Mars the future benchmark, especially when Mercury is already smaller than Mars? That can only lead to confusion.

If Mars is to be the future benchmark, then all bodies smaller than Mars should be downgraded, it doesn't make sense to downgrade some bodies and not others. But since it is extremely unlikely that other members of the Astronomical Union (and more importantly the general puplic) would agree to the downgrading of Mercury to a minor planet it would make more sense for a body the size of Mercury or smaller to be the future benchmark.

So if Mars doesn't make sense to be the benchmark, and Pluto is currently considered a planet it actually makes most sense that Pluto should be used as the future benchmark.

What does it matter if we find that the number of planets becomes rather large? Is there some sort of competition? Will it affect the planning conditions for the new inter-galactic super-highway? We should be told. :unsure:

Barbarossa
08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
There is already precedent for a "planet" to be reclassified. As further knowledge becomes available, definitions can change.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_planet

When the word was originally coined by the ancient Greeks, a planet was any object that appeared to wander against the field of fixed stars that made up the night sky (asteres planetai "wandering stars"). This included not only the five "classical" planets, that is, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, but also the Sun and the Moon.

Eventually, when the heliocentric model was accepted over the geocentric, Earth was placed among their number and the Sun was dropped, and, after Galileo discovered his four satellites of Jupiter, the Moon was also eventually reclassified. A "planet" could then be defined as "any object that orbited the Sun, rather than another object".

Also, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/planet

The eight rocky and gaseous planets are universally recognized as major planets. Ceres was called a planet when first discovered, but was reclassified as an asteroid when many similar objects were found. Given recent discoveries of many trans-Neptunian objects which are very similar to Pluto in orbit, size and composition, many people think it should be similarly redefined as a minor planet. For example, Mike Brown of Caltech defines a planet to be: any body in the solar system that is more massive than the total mass of all of the other bodies in a similar orbit [2] Using this definition, neither Pluto nor Sedna would be a major planet.

Nigi
08-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't really care! :D

DarthInsinuate
08-04-2005, 11:41 PM
could you care less?

maebach
08-05-2005, 03:33 AM
I wonder whos gonna be the first person on the moon.

RPerry
08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes !! and we should do away with the scientists :blink:

Alien5
08-17-2005, 04:07 PM
yes..no..maybe, yes it is

Barbarossa
08-17-2005, 04:13 PM
yes..no..maybe, yes it is

Well if the aliens aren't sure then we've got no hope! :dry:

DanB
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
could be

Barbarossa
08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
As of this week, Pluto is a "dwarf planet" :01:

Proper Bo
08-25-2006, 12:54 PM
As of this week, Pluto is a "dwarf planet" :01:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6996/untitledbh9.jpg

manker
08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Where's that b3ta pic Darthy posted. Should be in this thread.

It was teh funny.

Barbarossa
08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3726/plutoxb0.jpg

manker
08-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Class.

gamer4eva
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
i dont wanna learn the new mnemonics.
My very easy method just speeds up naming planets!!!!

keep it that way folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbarossa
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
There's a backlash :dabs:

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/118/untitledwr0.jpg

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3395/untitled2rt0.jpg

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 01:01 PM
:dabs: can ice turn into molten rock?

manker
08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
i dont wanna learn the new mnemonics.
My very easy method just speeds up naming planets!!!!

keep it that way folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tbh, only an idiot needs a mnemonic to remember the name of eight planets :dabs:

manker
08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
I italicised the wrong thing there.

Should have been planets.

I mean, planets ... in our solar system. Everyone from the age of five can name them, Shirley.

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 01:06 PM
january february march neptune saturn sunday earth pluto

manker
08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
january february march neptune saturn sunday earth pluto:huh:

GepperRankins
08-25-2006, 01:13 PM
naming the 8 planets.

every time i try and list them in my head i have to start january february march :ermm:

clocker
08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.millington1/Modern/Xena.jpg
I'm seeing two large globular objects that seem to share a common orbit.
How many Xenas are there?

limesqueezer
08-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Pluto is a comet :D