PDA

View Full Version : How much should I seed?

kdryan
08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi guys, I am new to Bit Toorent and was wondering how much should I seed a file? I am using Azureus, and as a rule of thumb have been seeding at least 100% to give back what I get. Is this a fair amount? I really want to improve my download speeds.

Kevin

{I}{K}{E}
08-03-2005, 05:53 PM
1:1 is good ;)

maebach
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Sometimes you'll see people with ratios of 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. They seed like mad.

kdryan
08-04-2005, 02:28 AM
1> Do I have an overall ratio, and how do I find out what it is?

2> Does seeding really affect my download speeds that much? I have no trouble sharing, but I don't want to wait a week for some obscure file I've downloaded to seed 100%.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I appreciate the help.

Kevin

Guyver
08-04-2005, 03:05 AM
I always seed way over 1:1...Its what u gatta do to keep torrents alive and kicking :)
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9153/untitled19tr.jpg

ziggyjuarez
08-04-2005, 03:10 AM
All you can makes you a better man.

Mr. Blunt
08-04-2005, 04:00 AM

2> Does seeding really affect my download speeds that much? I have no trouble sharing, but I don't want to wait a week for some obscure file I've downloaded to seed 100%.

Kevin
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. :)

{I}{K}{E}
08-04-2005, 07:33 AM

Kevin

1. if you use a private torrentsite you can check your overal ratio on that website.
if you use azureus you can see your overal ratio (tools -> statics -> transfer)

2.yes if you seed (100% no capped upload) you cannot download with your max speed.

Mr. Blunt
08-04-2005, 08:36 AM

Kevin

1. if you use a private torrentsite you can check your overal ratio on that website.
if you use azureus you can see your overal ratio (tools -> statics -> transfer)

2.yes if you seed (100% no capped upload) you cannot download with your max speed.
Ahh alright Ike. Thanks.

hammond
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
if you are seeding something very popular with many other seeders a 2:0 ratio well be fair enough. that is, give back two times more than you got. if you, on the other hand, are seeding something rare, just let the torrent be alive and seed till the end of days, and you will make those few who are searching for it very happy!

Doba
08-06-2005, 01:37 AM
I've found that if I seed to the full potential that my download speeds are better. If I limit my upload speed for any particular torrent then my download speed suffers.

BigTim
08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
You have to remember that on a private tracker, having a ratio of 3, 4 or 5 can be a bit selfish. If you have a high upload speed, and you quickly upload a lot, it could mean that people with lower upload speeds can't upload enough and get banned, even though they want to upload more.

Personally, I think, be sensible about it, and have a ratio between 1 and 2. Seed torrents that there aren't many seeds on, not ones that have loads of seeds, that way the rare ones are kept alive longer. Just use your common sense.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I just make sure I keep it above 1.

I don't really worry about individual files. I just make sure that my overall ratio, on each tracker, is above 1.

That seems fair.

geewhizz
08-10-2005, 02:49 AM
I would seed at 150%

thegoodfight
08-10-2005, 06:12 PM
On a public tracker its not as important, but on a private tracker you should definatly seed as much as you can

dclol
08-11-2005, 10:23 AM
turn it to full speed when you are not using pc, I found it's not easy to seed on site like TB, S/L is always like 130/8, but that's why the speed is always good there.